Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tyskil posted:

So hey, with all the new people coming in for Dark arisen ans stuff I feel like it would be prudent to remind people that Golems do not take any damage at all from magic. None whatsoever. This can be problematic as a Mage/Sorc, who can only do magical attacks! Most people recommend changing classes before fighting but you don't always know when the game is going to poo poo out a Golem on you and every

Not sure if this is true for all spells. I've had Sorcerors who did damage to Golems with huge spells like Malestrom or Bolide before. Not sure if they have some physical component or what.

Apparently Strider/Ranger pawns will now attack the medals though, so that's much less of a pain if you're a magic or melee-only class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

You can get up to that rock without a staff, just requires very precise timing (and some inching walks) on the column.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pictured: Just finishing soloing Satan as a Warrior, whattup homies. (He sucked in all three of my pawns into his HATE VORTEX before his second health bar was down)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Here's a side thing I want to bring up. I know it's :spergin: territory but I am genuinely curious because I used to do this all the time for tracks like "Fierce Battle" from Nocturne and some of the music from Einhander. Let's try to figure out the lyrics! Before I can even get on to the proper song I am having so much problem over this single word and I've googled and tried to auto detect it in some way, but I've had no luck.

Here's the link to the time where you'll hear it. Dark Arisen Boss Theme|YouTube

Up to this point it has gone: "Arriven, kith and kin, all given for this a never ending riddle, my flesh, warm, heart betorn, mine thine memory (?)"

But what is the deal with that last word? "Bijived?" It doesn't exist at all apparently, but part of me wants to think they wouldn't just put that there for the hell of it.

Edit:

Alright, I figured out the first half of the song for now, for those who are curious, but that word still befuddles me.

"Arriven, kith and kin, all given for this; a never ending riddle, my flesh, worn, heart betorn, mine thy memory (fake word?) - As I wander cold and in pain, wither now my mother my flame, and along the cords of light a night I design - And now must we part, words like a dart, red and rhyme, I never coined it belle été…Oh, and I now sing the Dragon's Dogma, unbound by time; all-binding grand design, land and skies and seas yearn, finish the cycle of eternal return."

Belle été is French for "beautiful summer."

Babe Magnet posted:

Pictured: Just finishing soloing Satan as a Warrior, whattup homies. (He sucked in all three of my pawns into his HATE VORTEX before his second health bar was down)

Hope that was just your first playthrough, otherwise you would have been so boned!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 29, 2013

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
This is probably an idiotic question, but I'm early on, and I still don't understand how port crystals and ferry stones work. I got a port crystal from Everfall, and it's told me I can port to crystalls using them, but the game never told me where I can buy them, or where I can get more port crystals to plant (or if I should be planting them at all.)

It seems overly confusing when a simple fast travel that incurs a monetary charge would have worked just fine.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Is it possible to get the bonuses for owning the original after you've already started?

I didn't care about the RC but apparently I just found out there's an infinite use ferrystone and that would be lovely.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
So where can I buy the dlc weapons from? Someone easy to find?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

thetrin posted:

This is probably an idiotic question, but I'm early on, and I still don't understand how port crystals and ferry stones work. I got a port crystal from Everfall, and it's told me I can port to crystalls using them, but the game never told me where I can buy them, or where I can get more port crystals to plant (or if I should be planting them at all.)

It seems overly confusing when a simple fast travel that incurs a monetary charge would have worked just fine.
Ferrystones are usable items that warp you to portcrystals. Portcrystals are crystals that you can place on the ground, which you can then warp to. There are three permanent portcrystals (Gran Soren, Cassardis, and Bitterblack). You can find I think 5 or 6 portcrystals in the world in Dark Arisen, and can buy them in post-game. You can place up to a maximum of 10 portcrystals.

Huntsekker posted:

The Black Cat in Gran Soren.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

thetrin posted:

When you get a Port Crystal you can plant it anywhere in the world. Upon using a Ferrystone, a menu pops up letting you go directly to that port crystal or back to Cassardis, Gran Soren, or Bitterblack Isle.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Is it possible to get the bonuses for owning the original after you've already started?

I didn't care about the RC but apparently I just found out there's an infinite use ferrystone and that would be lovely.

If you get an original DD save to import to Dark Arisen you will get that.

Huntsekker posted:

Mountebank at the Black Cat in Gran Soren, but he moves to the Alehouse after you beat the Dragon.

edit: ^Well poo poo!

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I feel like I'm just bad at combat this early on, or I'm missing something, or maybe not using the right pawns or something... I'm heading to the Catacombs from Gran Soren, and just getting torn apart by a group of bandits on the road there. I'm a level 16 magic archer... Should I be handling these guys easily at this point? Do I need to go level up some, or look into some different pawns? All my pawns right now are around my level.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Flumpus posted:

I feel like I'm just bad at combat this early on, or I'm missing something, or maybe not using the right pawns or something... I'm heading to the Catacombs from Gran Soren, and just getting torn apart by a group of bandits on the road there. I'm a level 16 magic archer... Should I be handling these guys easily at this point? Do I need to go level up some, or look into some different pawns? All my pawns right now are around my level.

You should focus less on human enemies at that level, because they will stomp you and you just don't have the means to take them out reliably. Fight more goblins and cyclops (There is one to the east of the canyon you traveled to Gran Soren on, just north of the Manamia Trail waycastle, he's down near a river, below all the waterfalls that go under the bridge there. There is sometimes a Cyclops out in the middle of the Gran Soren fields to the west. You can try to take on the abandoned Quarry and clear out some ogres if you're feeling ballsy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Flumpus posted:

There is often no rhyme or reason to enemy difficulty by map location, especially related to quest destinations and when the average player will attempt those quests level-wise. Sometimes you're just gonna get killed, and sometimes you need you figure out a way to avoid combat altogether. There's guesswork involved sometimes, plain and simple.

In general, enemies won't follow you forever though, so you can just dash past them if you need to, and use the d-pad down to get your pawns to disengage and follow you.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Ah, ok, that's all good to know, thanks!

So, next question I guess... Is now a good time to head off doing side stuff and leveling up, or if I avoid these bandits, will I be ok moving the story forward at this point? Sounds like I may want to hold off, because I suspect these cult guys might be as bad as or worse than the bandits.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think Oblivion style fast travel is really weird and I'm glad this game does not include it, even with a monetary charge attached. Even if it was kind of a pain in the rear end in the original game I like that they went out of the way to pretend like it was a system in the world and not just a game play abstraction like it is in Skyrim, Reckoning, etc.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Thanks for the heads up, guys. Where do I buy ferrystones? I've walked around the main city, but neither the apothecary nor the armory sell them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

thetrin posted:

Thanks for the heads up, guys. Where do I buy ferrystones? I've walked around the main city, but neither the apothecary nor the armory sell them.

Mountebank sells them, as well as Fournival.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think Oblivion style fast travel is really weird and I'm glad this game does not include it, even with a monetary charge attached. Even if it was kind of a pain in the rear end in the original game I like that they went out of the way to pretend like it was a system in the world and not just a game play abstraction like it is in Skyrim, Reckoning, etc.

I'm one of those people that likes gameplay abstractions over rooted world relevant mechanics, because they tend to be more fun in the end, but I can see why people like this system. The game doesn't explain it at all though, past the very basic concepts aurrounding it.

Lunethex posted:

Mountebank sells them, as well as Fournival.

I'm not sure what those are, but perhaps one day I will find them. Thanks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

thetrin posted:

There are three more shops in the city (a barber, another equipment store, and a store that sells odd things like that) that are all fairly near each other but not around the fountain.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

thetrin posted:

I'm one of those people that likes gameplay abstractions over rooted world relevant mechanics, because they tend to be more fun in the end, but I can see why people like this system. The game doesn't explain it at all though, past the very basic concepts aurrounding it.

I'm not aure what those are, but perhaps one day I will find them. Thanks.

In the east part of Gran Soren you'll find a store called the Black Cat, the man there is Mountebank, he'll sell you some. Fournival lives in the mansion near the entrance to the Duke's castle up in the noble district. Every day he visits Mountebank too, and he'll sell you some.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Lunethex posted:

In the east part of Gran Soren you'll find a store called the Black Cat, the man there is Mountebank, he'll sell you some. Fournival lives in the mansion near the entrance to the Duke's castle up in the noble district. Every day he visits Mountebank too, and he'll sell you some.

Oh, I've found the Black Cat, but he only seemed to sell armor and weapons. I'll have to check again.

Sorry, I never remember NPC names. I'm horrible with names in real life, too. I just remember people in games by location and facial features. The fact that people in DD actually move around is a nightmare.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

thetrin posted:

Oh, I've found the Black Cat, but he only seemed to sell armor and weapons. I'll have to check again.

Sorry, I never remember NPC names. I'm horrible with names in real life, too. I just remember people in games by location and facial features. The fact that people in DD actually move around is a nightmare.

Yeah some of the early quests (Fournival's quest to evict people) is just tedious because they don't mark where the father is and you just have to wait for him to show up. I don't know where he is unless he's ever near the fountain giving speeches.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

There's a permanent ferrystone spawn right at the Gran Soren portcrystal too, so check there every in-game week or so.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lunethex posted:

You can get an infinite amount from beating the Daimon and opening the middle chest on the left.

Speaking of tights and the gambeson yeah I see now, but I don't want to waste time upgrading them if they're not better than the Abyssinal Outfit & White Stocking combo I'm using right now, or the Bliaut & White Stockings on my pawn. Does anyone have them fully rarefied and can tell me the stats?

I don't know about the gambeson but here's the stats for the tights at Gold DF:

Defenses: 29
Magick Defenses: 37
Piercing Resistance: 4%
Striking Resistance: 4%
Holy Resistance: 11%
Silence Resistance: 45%
Skill Stifling Resistance: 45%

It takes two banshee larynx for silver and four siren patagium for gold. I only have one larynx so I can't upgrade the ones I have on my pawn now.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Don't forget that you can duplicate monster materials at the Black Cat to get an actual copy of the item, not a forgery. So if you've got a bunch of upgrades that need a rare part, but farming them is a pain, just take a trip to the Black Cat and make use of his services~
(I usually do an extra forgery to make sure I always have at least one material leftover after the upgrade, in case I need to duplicate it some more)

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Can someone spare a love-in-the-rough? I missed my chance to get it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I managed to resist going to easy mode so far. At what I think is the last boss of the DLC, and I mastered MA, so it's back to Assassin at last for me. I have a poo poo ton of Wakestones and Restoratives, so I'm going to run back down there and brute force the fucker. He only had one and a bit life bars left on my first try with gently caress all healing doodads. Pretty good fight, but way too much health.

I only wish Assassins could have the set yourself on fire skill with their daggers. It's loving hilarious. Ghosts, you can't possess me, I am on fire. Harpies, you can't grab me, I am on fire. Zombies, you can't hug me, I am on fire. Wolves, you can't bite me, I am on fire. Watch out world, I am on fire, and I'm coming for you. Gonna miss that move, but I want my Dire Gouge back.

Also I finished off a Drake by lighting up and running near his heart. I am better at fire than you are, lizard.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Yeah some of the early quests (Fournival's quest to evict people) is just tedious because they don't mark where the father is and you just have to wait for him to show up. I don't know where he is unless he's ever near the fountain giving speeches.

That quest was irritating for precisely that reason. The rest of the game has been a blast, though. I should play more, but I made the dumb mistake of buying Monster Hunter 3U over the weekend.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I don't know about the gambeson but here's the stats for the tights at Gold DF:

Defenses: 29
Magick Defenses: 37
Piercing Resistance: 4%
Striking Resistance: 4%
Holy Resistance: 11%
Silence Resistance: 45%
Skill Stifling Resistance: 45%

It takes two banshee larynx for silver and four siren patagium for gold. I only have one larynx so I can't upgrade the ones I have on my pawn now.

Oh yeah, those are totally better, minus 2% Striking & Piercing resistance and no Ice resistance though, but 'ya know, magic resistance really doesn't mean much at all, avoidance is the key. Always.

Edit:

So uhhh, I need another material someone :v:

Poxy Flesh, I forget what drops that, but I need one! In other news, I managed to get the Tier 3 daggers from Lv.3 Weapon, and they're somewhat better than the Helmbarte daggers. Helmbarte has 1344 max rarefied, 407 Stagger & Knockdown, the Framae Blades have 1429 strength and 513 Stagger & Knockdown!

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 29, 2013

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Lunethex posted:

So uhhh, I need another material someone :v:

Poxy Flesh, I forget what drops that, but I need one!

Elder Ogres.

Beat the Ghost Dragon Pope with my Strider. The first go round of the fight went poorly. The second I changed my pawn from Sorcerer to Mage and got some melee backup. I jumped on the dragon and Hundred Kissed it to death. I thought I was hot poo poo doing this a few times until the pope petrified and nuked my hired pawns. It was down to me and my bro. Apparently when you kill the dragon with the pope IN it his poo poo is wrecked pretty bad and he just lies there for a looooong time. Bars of health kissed away long. Good fight.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Elder Ogres drop them. They're Necrophages. One spawns in the super dark-rear end sewer system with the Rift Fonts down before you get to Satan's house.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

McDragon posted:

Well, I managed to resist going to easy mode so far. At what I think is the last boss of the DLC, and I mastered MA, so it's back to Assassin at last for me. I have a poo poo ton of Wakestones and Restoratives, so I'm going to run back down there and brute force the fucker. He only had one and a bit life bars left on my first try with gently caress all healing doodads. Pretty good fight, but way too much health.

I only wish Assassins could have the set yourself on fire skill with their daggers. It's loving hilarious. Ghosts, you can't possess me, I am on fire. Harpies, you can't grab me, I am on fire. Zombies, you can't hug me, I am on fire. Wolves, you can't bite me, I am on fire. Watch out world, I am on fire, and I'm coming for you. Gonna miss that move, but I want my Dire Gouge back.

Also I finished off a Drake by lighting up and running near his heart. I am better at fire than you are, lizard.

Does that do max health damage too, or just normal health damage (like poison, etc?) That's pretty much the most tempting skill from MA.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Elder Ogres drop them. They're Necrophages. One spawns in the super dark-rear end sewer system with the Rift Fonts down before you get to Satan's house.

I'll set out then! I know one place where they spawn too. Thanks guys.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why on earth did Dark Arisen remove airtight flasks from the vendor? What purpose do these things even serve other than knocking out two quests?

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Lunethex posted:

[...] Let's try to figure out the lyrics! [...]

Here's the link to the time where you'll hear it. Dark Arisen Boss Theme|YouTube

The dude with +10 ups on his comment saying that he'd be happy if someone found out the lyrics is me. So yeah, I'm happy. Thanks for going to the trouble; it was driving me crazy. I didn't even know 'arriven' was a word. I had just been assuming the word was 'arisen', by now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Why on earth did Dark Arisen remove airtight flasks from the vendor? What purpose do these things even serve other than knocking out two quests?
Sometimes you just want to munch on a perfectly preserved, half-rotten chunk of monster meat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How does the Ur-Dragon work? I whacked on Generation 222 for a bit then it flew off. The wiki says that everyone who participates gets loot, do I just wait until it's dead then go back to the arena and pick up the loot or something?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sometimes you just want to munch on a perfectly preserved, half-rotten chunk of monster meat.

You could put rotten food in Flasks then add Spring Water to make them edible again though, that's something!

The Mimic posted:

The dude with +10 ups on his comment saying that he'd be happy if someone found out the lyrics is me. So yeah, I'm happy. Thanks for going to the trouble; it was driving me crazy. I didn't even know 'arriven' was a word. I had just been assuming the word was 'arisen', by now.

Well, drat! That's a coincidence! Glad it helped someone, haha.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
What determines your ability to block attacks with shields? I'm talking about how some attacks can knock your shield back, which prevents you from timing a deflection.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Wooph posted:

What determines your ability to block attacks with shields? I'm talking about how some attacks can knock your shield back, which prevents you from timing a deflection.

I've heard the size of the character has an impact on this, but I'm not sold on the matter; my S-size Magick Knight didn't seem to have any trouble blocking anything. There's a Magick Knight augment that helps avoid shield knock-back, as well, and if it's not compatible with small shields I imagine the Fighter has an equivalent augment. This is all I know, however. A post on gamefaqs suggested the upgrade-level of the shield played a role, but it was a post on gamefaqs, so take that for what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

Lakbay posted:

How does the Ur-Dragon work? I whacked on Generation 222 for a bit then it flew off. The wiki says that everyone who participates gets loot, do I just wait until it's dead then go back to the arena and pick up the loot or something?

Yeah, if you've fought it and your damage's uploaded to the server, and you miss killing the Dragon during the "grace period" (when the dragon is actually kill-able, provided your damage output is high enough to throttle its remaining hearts and HP), you'll get a small chance for some consolation prize weapon when you come back and it's at full health. But killing the dragon during grace period is much more worth your while, if you can manage to be at home when it happens, because you'll get a weapon, guaranteed, along with the Abyssinal armor set.

• Locked thread