Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pretty sure Nagash stole the sword that killed him. Or Arkhan the Black did. Either way, the Skaven are going to come to the surface, eat everyone, then splinter into huge factions that coincidentally closely resemble the current factions.
All Skaven, all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Pretty sure Nagash stole the sword that killed him. Or Arkhan the Black did. Either way, the Skaven are going to come to the surface, eat everyone, then splinter into huge factions that coincidentally closely resemble the current factions.
All Skaven, all the time.

I would unironically play this game. Clan Skryre would most likely replace the Empire with its magitek-technology, and goddamn, now I want to play an army of the Skaven Empire. (The new Council of 13 is set up in Altdorf of course.)

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Okay, all this skaventalk got me reading up on them, and now I wanna read a book about them. Are there any particularly good Skaven books to start with?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Nagash books are pretty cool and also cements the fact that Dark Elves ruin everything.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, you guys are going to make me start reading some Fantasy books, then I will get sucked in, and before you know it I will be spending even more money on plastic dudes. (seriously though, I am intrigued by this whole Nagash thing, and the models look amazing so that is good marketing on their part.)

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nagash is back, Kislev is falling to Chaos, Tilea has fallen to the Skaven, the Lizardmen are leaving Lustria - what more do you want?

It's really tiring to hear the "GW doesn't advance the storyline, so ho-hum" complaint. Get over it - they are not going to kill the Emperor in 40K or make any huge changes that are going to affect their gaming properties. The WFB storyline will likely end with borders redrawn, a few characters dead, but everything returning to relative status quo. Their lifeblood is plastic models and expensive rule sets, not books.

Except GW have actually tried to slowly advance the story several times before but they've always end up reversing all the changes that they've previously made. Nobody expects that they're going to kill the Emperor or whatever but I wouldn't be surprised if the next edition that launches completely ignores everything they've built up like they have previously.

Arquinsiel posted:

You know the current Emperor Karl Franz is the third one that there's been stories about right? The first one I remember reading about was this one's grandfather, and this guy is the irritating kid in the Genevieve stories.

I'm pretty sure that Karl Franz on his Griffon has been the Emperor back when the Marauder line was still around in the early 90s.

One Legged Cat posted:

Okay, all this skaventalk got me reading up on them, and now I wanna read a book about them. Are there any particularly good Skaven books to start with?

The Grey Seer books are okay but I think the Gotrek and Felix ones are better. Mind you it's pretty much all pulp.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

One Legged Cat posted:

Google C.L. Werner. If you want Skaven-books, he is the best. He even wrote a trilogy about the great war, when the Skaven almost completely destroyed the Empire by themselves.

Books with Thanquol in it (the Grey Seer from the Gotrek & Felix novels):

-Grey Seer
-Temple of the Serpents
-Thanquol's Doom

Really old book about some fuckers trying to exterminate all Skavendom (they also steal Skaven-Christmas):

-Vermintide

Books about the great war(The Black Plague):

-Dead Winter
-Blighted Empire
-Wolf of Sigmar

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Skaven are very funny.
There's a hilarious scene in Temple of the Serpent involving Thanquol and pistols that explains their mindset very well

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Libluini posted:

Google C.L. Werner. If you want Skaven-books, he is the best. He even wrote a trilogy about the great war, when the Skaven almost completely destroyed the Empire by themselves.

Aw yeah, this looks promising! Thanks for the comprehensive list; time to start reading about some horrible little rat things.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
So there's a series of books about Ahriman? A :krad: sorcerer in my fav legion? Has anyone read any of them and are they good or like a fecal smear on a test card?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Crap. The Skaven-talk is getting me curious as well. Any first book you'd suggest?

And I also like hoe Kharn comes across in the 40K books...mostly. Chosen of Khorne was a lame story with a dumb 'twist'. Betrayer was fun because the 8th captain was very different from ADB's usual protagonists. Talos was a bitter idealist deluding himself about his legion and his place in the galaxy. Argel Tal was a loyal son caught between impossible demands, someone who collected symbols of his own failures as self-flagellation.

Heresy Kharn, on the other hand, is a no-nonsense realist. He likes war and would likely have fought with no question or remorse whatever side his father had picked. He's content in sharing the few laughs and triumphs to be had while the galaxy goes to hell. He can be a vessel for bottomless fury, but he doesn't really _hate_ anyone, which is a fun contrast.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

So there's a series of books about Ahriman? A :krad: sorcerer in my fav legion? Has anyone read any of them and are they good or like a fecal smear on a test card?

Speaking as someone else with a boner for Chaos and/or the Fifteenth Legion specifically, Ahriman: Exile was excellent by 40k standards. I wouldn't put it up there with Abnett or ADB's best, but French seems to be right there in the Tier 2 with Chris Wraight, far ahead of McNeill and the rest of the pack.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Speaking as someone else with a boner for Chaos and/or the Fifteenth Legion specifically, Ahriman: Exile was excellent by 40k standards. I wouldn't put it up there with Abnett or ADB's best, but French seems to be right there in the Tier 2 with Chris Wraight, far ahead of McNeill and the rest of the pack.

I concur Exile was really solid I think youll enjoy it def pick it up

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Waroduce posted:

I concur Exile was really solid I think youll enjoy it def pick it up

TBL has a bundle of the books about Ahriman for 27 bucks. One story goes into explaining what it's like to have been a non-psyker muggle marine what got automatoned and how it sucks to be divorced from flesh in your armor-tomb.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

TBL has a bundle of the books about Ahriman for 27 bucks. One story goes into explaining what it's like to have been a non-psyker muggle marine what got automatoned and how it sucks to be divorced from flesh in your armor-tomb.

Ahriman: Exile is great, the short stories are crap.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Also Talon of Horus owns bones and now I need to paint up the Abaddon metal I have at the bottom of a bin of bulk minis that I bought and make some Black Legion units to field with him.

I didn't find Nefertari to be nearly as annoying as the comments in this thread had me worrying. Could the story have been fine without her? Sure. But it didn't actually end up with her being Khayon's tsundere girlfriend or whatever goons were making her out to be. I'm looking forward to the next installment. I hope Gyre isn't gone for good. I know she's a daemon and all but I thought the subtlety of their relationship was a great counter to the usual corruption-and-destruction shtick that writers usually seem to fall back on. It's markedly different from how Cherubael is written, for example. I know it's because she was originally a tutelary and she was probably still working Khayon for her own ends all along, but still, a great palate cleanser from the otherwise nearly ubiquitous portrayal of major plot daemons as scenery-chewing villains.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

They're good, but Exile leaves waaaaay too many plot threads dangling and is clearly setting up a larger arc.
Luckily the second book just came out.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

VanSandman posted:

They're good, but Exile leaves waaaaay too many plot threads dangling and is clearly setting up a larger arc.
Luckily the second book just came out.

My loving bank uses this lovely 'Verified by Visa' thing that keeps causing TBL to decline my cards :(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JerryLee posted:

I didn't find Nefertari to be nearly as annoying as the comments in this thread had me worrying.
She's not - I mean, she's only in like 20 pages out of the entire book. It's the typical nerd "no girls in my playhouse" Internet bullshit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Since I'm dying for feedback, I'll just mention I've got a competent female order Xenos operative in One Throne.

http://pastebin.com/MJxwt2x3

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

I just got into wh40k novels a year or two at most ago and have devoured them ever since. Sooo psyched (psykered?) that the 2nd in the Ahriman series finally came out, I am big on the chaos ones most. The Black Legion series already taking top spot from the Night Lord series. That said I even enjoyed the word bearers omnibus. Well here's to hoping this new Ahriman novel lives up to the first!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
"'Hero of Helreach', the crowd cheers. As if there is only one"

:stare: Holy hell, this was one hell of a ride. So glad I read this book. ADB owns.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Since I'm dying for feedback, I'll just mention I've got a competent female order Xenos operative in One Throne.

http://pastebin.com/MJxwt2x3

Terrible.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Guess what, bitches: http://www.blacklibrary.com/exclusive-products/sabbat-crusade-first-edition.html

Not a new Abnett book, but at least you can get your Gaunt fix.

VV Yikes, I didn't look at the price. Insane. VV

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 17, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Guess what, bitches: http://www.blacklibrary.com/exclusive-products/sabbat-crusade-first-edition.html

80 American Dollars lol

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

VV Yikes, I didn't look at the price. Insane. VV

At first I was all :woop: because finally a BL book that isn't really about space marines and something I'm genuinely interested in.
Then I noticed it was a limited edition thing. :sigh: Like gently caress I'm gonna spend 70 euros on a book.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
lol gently caress off

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Haha wtf. No way am I paying more than £12 for a book.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
GW. GW never changes.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Someone told BL price setters about inflation and they decided to apply the 40K cartoonish proportions treatment to it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cooked Auto posted:

At first I was all :woop: because finally a BL book that isn't really about space marines and something I'm genuinely interested in.
Then I noticed it was a limited edition thing. :sigh: Like gently caress I'm gonna spend 70 euros on a book.

I bet they sell every single one of them though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What chapter are astraeos and his buddies from in exile?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I am currently working my way through Horus Rising. Having only read the Night Lords trilogy and Talon of Horus, I am finding Horus Rising kind of... lacking? I like Abnett's depiction of Horus and the other primarchs, Loken is an alright protagonist i guess but the whole war against the giant spiders was really uninteresting.

What are False Gods and Galaxy in Flames like? Better or worse than Horus Rising?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

They're worse but they are kind of necessary to read before you can skip right to the good books, first heretic, know no fear, betrayer and legion.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I wish they had given Abnett the other two books to be honest.

Remember to read Battle for the Abyss, it's pretty much a cornerstone of the setting. :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

I bet they sell every single one of them though.

Of course they will. I don't expect anything else.
Now I just have to hope they'll release a regular version of it at some point. Because I really want some more Sabbat Crusade books.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They always do. I'd expect it about six months down the road.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Azran posted:

Yeah, I wish they had given Abnett the other two books to be honest.

Remember to read Battle for the Abyss, it's pretty much a cornerstone of the setting. :)

What are some of the more pointless books of the Heresy? Abyss, The Damnation of Pythos, the recent one about Horus, uh, Vengeful Spirit? For crying out loud why can't we just have a book about the Tallarn Tank campaign, that at least is a good big event to write about without meaningfully advancing Horus towards Terra. Frankly I'd like it if they had him get there by the end of the year but no way is that gonna happen.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

VanSandman posted:

What are some of the more pointless books of the Heresy? Abyss, The Damnation of Pythos, the recent one about Horus, uh, Vengeful Spirit? For crying out loud why can't we just have a book about the Tallarn Tank campaign, that at least is a good big event to write about without meaningfully advancing Horus towards Terra. Frankly I'd like it if they had him get there by the end of the year but no way is that gonna happen.

I would love to read a book about the Tallarn tank campaign, it would just read like a novel about the Desert Rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just finished the first Space Wolves omnibus by William King and although it's not the worst I've read it's pretty weak. Certainly could have benefited from better editing. It doesn't help that I read Prospero Burns this year which was the first book that made the Space Wolves seem interesting to me.