Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Agnostalgia posted:

stalker 2 was announced over a decade ago now, it is not a real game

I mean the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. build was compiled in 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah as stalker game dev goes this is fairly normal, just grab a huge mod pack to enjoy or play some other games haha. Stalker 2 will come out when it's out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Agnostalgia posted:

aww drat, we can't finish stalker 2 because of [spins wheel] Russian hackers! we were totally going to otherwise; better luck next time i guess

right next to "our country was invaded and is an active warzone" in the all time flimsiest excuse for a delay category

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Agnostalgia posted:

congrats on being extremely miserable and disenfranchised I guess?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Agnostalgia posted:

First time eh?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

turn off the TV posted:

right next to "our country was invaded and is an active warzone" in the all time flimsiest excuse for a delay category

this except they weren't even excusing a delay, it was just "we got hacked and it sucks, please don't take the hacked content as being indicative of the quality of our unfinished product" much like any game dev who has an early version leaked even when they're not in a warzone being hacked by the invading power

it's not like they'd announced an april 2023 release date and were suddenly going "ooooh noooo hacked, delay, delaaaay" at the last minute, we all knew there's a war in ukraine and the game was some time away. like i said,

Wafflecopper posted:

What a weird post

both nonsensical and inexplicably antagonistic

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 17, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Agnostalgia posted:

aww drat, we can't finish stalker 2 because of [spins wheel] Russian hackers! we were totally going to otherwise; better luck next time i guess

:goofy:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
TRUE STALKERS know that the real STALKER 2 experience won't be available until Summer of 2026 when the game will finally be modded to hell and back.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

TRUE STALKERS know that the real STALKER 2 experience won't be available until Summer of 2026 when the game will finally be modded to hell and back.

You're insane if you think it'll be any earlier than 2030

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Getting into GAMMA for the first time, last having played anomaly several years ago. I’m about 4 hours into a play through and three way crafting works finally clicked for me, after not having really touched it before. I’ve only been in and around cordon and garbage running quests and I haven’t really found any weapons or armor in good enough condition to even think about repairing. At best a gun has a single green component that I can field strip.

Should I just not expect to get anything worthy of trying to repair until I get to harder zones? Still rocking an APS and over under shotgun

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

If GAMMA is using the scaling difficulty everything will have what the game considers tier 1 guns until you level up so unless you get a lucky stash find you should expect only tier 1 guns until you advance in rank. Quickest way to get rank is murder stalkers so go stalker hunting or do a ton of quests.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Are guns tiered based on their level if condition/repair or based of the gun mod itself? I think in the 20 bandits I’ve killed there’s been a single gun with a single green component. Everything else has been orange or red with <20% condition

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pikey posted:

Are guns tiered based on their level if condition/repair or based of the gun mod itself? I think in the 20 bandits I’ve killed there’s been a single gun with a single green component. Everything else has been orange or red with <20% condition

Parts condition is based on the rank of the guy carrying it, in the mod options you can tweak the min/max spread on parts conditions per rank. I generally change it so higher level stalkers drop mostly usable guns rather than a bunch of broke poo poo.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Pikey posted:

Getting into GAMMA for the first time, last having played anomaly several years ago. I’m about 4 hours into a play through and three way crafting works finally clicked for me, after not having really touched it before. I’ve only been in and around cordon and garbage running quests and I haven’t really found any weapons or armor in good enough condition to even think about repairing. At best a gun has a single green component that I can field strip.

Should I just not expect to get anything worthy of trying to repair until I get to harder zones? Still rocking an APS and over under shotgun

There's a tactical kit you can buy for your APS that's sold by Warsaw Pact traders like Duty. Not sure what trader supply level you need for it to show up but IIRC it's fairly low or might even be available right off the bat.

Starting off, you can use basic tools to create the handgun repair kit which will allow you to repair SMGs as well as handguns. An SMG like a Vityaz or MP5 can be a nice starter weapon since they're able to mount a scope and 9x19 comes in FMJ, HP, and AP and are fairly available and relatively cheap.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can use a charge of a repair kit to entirely replace a part (do this by selecting maintain -> replace). Sometimes, especially early on, it's worth burning up charges to get a gun up and running this way if all you're missing is one or two parts.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I want to start a run of this, but I saw that it's updating soon. Will I have to start a new game with the update or do we even know yet?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

You most likely will

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone play that leaked alpha version of Clear Sky way back when? I did and got insanely hype. They had a rat swarm as an enemy, and there was some kind of minigun if I remember correctly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pikey posted:

Worth is relative. Realistically you will need to get a hold of a gun you want to use (either because it's objectively amazing or because it lets you do things you can't with your current guns) and at least most of a set of good parts for it, then you would need either time on a workbench or to make your own, and the toolkits needed to work on the gun, plus enough condition repair supplies to fix it up once you replace the broken parts.

This all takes a while to get so you might end up going into harder areas and scavenging something better than the bandits will carry before you get to that point, so it's not a matter of basic guns not being worth it, as much as the game is weirdly paced so that you can often get a fancier gun before you are able to fix up basic ones.

I would say though that a high capacity shotgun, even if it's pump action, is something that will carry you through a lot of the game. The remington 870 in particular is a very good shotgun and you can get it early. It's not quite as good as a magazine fed one but it's got great accuracy and even if it takes forever to reload, carrying 8 rounds in the tube means you probably won't have to reload it in combat, and it's very reliable, I used mine for IRL days on end and barely had to repair it.

For rifles however, there are definite tiers. SMGs are really only good against bandits (unless you find a 5.7mm thing like an MP7 or P90) as they lack the ability to pierce body armour. .45 cal SMGs are good against mutants though they are expensive to run. 5.56/5.45 rifles are your middle of the road antipersonnel weapons, very capable for dealing with most things up to the northern areas of the zone, at which point you will want to transition late game to something that fires 7.62 long cartridges.

Whether you want to try and fix up an SMG or go straight for an intermediate caliber rifle is up to you and how soon you get the ability to try. It's quite possible you'll find an AK before you get the stuff together to fix an SMG, in which case you might end up doing the AK first. After a point though you can probably start fixing up guns for fun. I went back and fixed up some SMGs and things just to try them out. They do have their uses if you want to run lots of missions in the southern areas of the zone and want something cheap and lightweight to shoot bandits with.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

SMGs are really only good against bandits (unless you find a 5.7mm thing like an MP7 or P90) as they lack the ability to pierce body armour.

Don't sleep on the SR-2. Like the 5.7mm guns its decently armor piercing (it'll fail against exos but, well, most things will) and fits in the vison slot like a pistol or the P90. It's become my chief CQB weapon.

I think my ideal loadout has coalesced around an SR-2 in vision, then a .45 SMG (Tommygun, UMP, Vector in least to most preferable) in primary weapon slot 1, and then any 7.62 NATO rifle in my second primary slot.

45 Hydrashock is just outrageously effective against anything not armored. The Vector's sheer rate of fire allows me to hose down a Chimera in an instant.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
New GAMMA patch potentially being delayed:

quote:

Considering the current moddb servers status, I'm considering delaying 0.9 patch for one extra week... I will see how it goes next week. Indeed, stressing moddb servers at the worst time won't do anyone any favor. I will keep you updated. Cheers

Moddb has apparently been experiencing a lot of outtages and spotty connections with people being unable to download Anomaly and/or the full GAMMA addon list. Incidentally, if you are encountering these problems, DON'T keep hammering the installer since moddb will temp ban your IP if they see multiple attempts in a short window.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Aw man :(

I'm bummed, but I totally understand, it's the right decision given how popular GAMMA is. Though even given the extra week, patch 0.9 is likely going to cripple Moddb anyway.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

9mm AP did fine against Mercs in my experience, at least south of the barrier. You just aim for the head.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Even normal 9mm will take down most mercs if it's from something full auto.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Agnostalgia posted:

Slava Ukraini, Stalker.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ugh got abuncha kill quests for zaton and for some reason it's basically filled it with loving monolith like every spawn is goddamn monolith haha. I got my 7.62 AP build so i don't fear even exosuits so i basically blunder around murdering every monolith squad i find while trying to kill the mutants i'm supposed to kill and grab the stashes i need. I've resorted to my traveling hoarding strat where i just dump everything into a central stash then fast travel with everything to another zones central stash so i don't need to return to the bar until i run out of ammo.

I grabbed some loving 50 round drum mags for my glock and now i have a hilarious 50 round pistol to fire all the 9mm i find.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

9mm AP did fine against Mercs in my experience, at least south of the barrier. You just aim for the head.

Oh sure, you can kill anything with anything especially if your have the right ammo. But progression in the game is about reducing the margins you have to operate on more than it is qualitative capabilities.

You can kill a guy in an exosuit with a 9mm pistol and no armour, but doing that reliably is difficult, so it is nice to have your own bullet resistant armour and a gun that can easily penetrate their armour. About the only qualitative advancement is with things like an ecologist suit which allows you to explore areas that would kill you too quickly to get anything out of them otherwise, and even that I think has been toned down since the resistances rework meaning you're no longer invulnerable to certain anomalies once you reach a certain resistance threshold.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Installing GAMMA was easier than I thought! Time to go get owned by the military again lol

I love that there's actually a main quest to encourage movement I can never do fully freeform stuff long

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp i think thats it for my EFP game because i'm getting locks and the logs aren't picking up anything, i'm guessing the save has been running too long and there's too many items in the zone. It also just might be jupiter and zaton though those levels have some janky rear end level transitions and have caused problems in the past.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
I think I must have accidentally activated a forbidden GAMMA mod. I've started a new game and every time the word 'Anomaly' appears it's spelled 'amomawy' or 'amomawies'.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Are you fighting the Monuwulith?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You mean monowolith, you are confusing them with duwuty.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I think I must have accidentally activated a forbidden GAMMA mod. I've started a new game and every time the word 'Anomaly' appears it's spelled 'amomawy' or 'amomawies'.

:lmao: that's so fuckin cursed

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Makes me want to drink a tall glass of warm milk for some reason.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Finally, a use for all those cat tails

(Didn't lost alpha let you clip one to your belt for no reason?)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ahead of patch 0.9's release tomorrow, the new GAMMA launcher is available, head over to the Discord and grab it from the Announcements channel.

Can't wait for tomorrow :getin:

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I installed GAMMA for the first time yesterday just with the default settings and uh

Oh no. Oh no no no.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Since not everyone here follows the announcements, you'll probably want to know that the author had to remove Gunslinger from the update because the authors of it are planning their own big mod, and didn't want it included in any other modpacks. Release may be a bit delayed because of reverting changes associated with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I’m increasingly suspecting that somebody—possibly upset with Grok’s mod, or possibly somebody who likes mommies—discovered that their mod was part of GAMMA and stealthily modified it to affect anomalies (or perhaps more appropriately, “amomawies”)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
It's an April Fools thing Anomaly does every year apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Vorenus posted:

It's an April Fools thing Anomaly does every year apparently.

Too late, I am already forming a taskforce, codenamed "ANTI-MOMMY" (ANomaly Text Is now MOMMY)