Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

echopapa posted:

I don't see most web critics (including myself) as serious critics. We're more like an introduction to criticism for people who would otherwise not be interested in critical theory. We're to criticism as Liberace is to classical music or Richard Simmons is to exercise.

Ah yes, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Ah, if only terrifying campy people ruled the reviewer verse.
Or...do they.

No wait the reviewer verse is, for the most part, still pretty straight. And I'm not that campy.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Ah, if only terrifying campy people ruled the reviewer verse.
Or...do they.

No wait the reviewer verse is, for the most part, still pretty straight. And I'm not that campy.

I'm all for starting my next video with Rip Taylor levels of confetti.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

echopapa posted:

We're to criticism as Liberace is to classical music or Richard Simmons is to exercise.

Awesome? :confused:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

KKall posted:

I always get Rip Taylor confused with Rip Torn. But yes, I am all for a sudden campifying of the reviewerverse

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

In other news, Some Jerk With A Camera just finished his review of Escape from Tomorrow a few days ago. (Parts 1, 2, and 3). I haven't watched much of his stuff, but I'm curious as how he records all his footage. Unless I misunderstood what he said, it can't be cheap to travel between (or even around) California & Florida to record footage at the Disney theme parks. Even if you could, it seems like it would still be difficult to do, as I would think the park staff would monitor people to keep them from doing that.

Disney's fine with tourists shooting vacation footage with handheld cameras throughout their parks and thankfully the web critic "talking head" format is simple enough that it looks commonplace. Having worked with him in Disneyland I can say that Tony's a smart guerilla filmmaker - he knows how not to call attention to himself while using the layout of the park to his advantage. The one time we were bugged by security at Disneyland was during a bit that I was trying to shoot in a more cinematic blocking style. Looked great, but drew attention to itself. Funnily enough, the guards facetiously asked us if we were filming "Escape From Tomorrow 2."

Thundersword238 posted:

I just finished the last part of the Escape from Tomorrow review, and I absolutely loved it. Just how far that film goes to basically have no point is astonishing. I also really liked Some Jerk's comment on post modernism and making films anywhere you want, because it really is true. With a small handheld camcorder it's possible to get things that even big budget can't always get. Also that last shot was absolutely amazing and I wonder if he had to do multiple takes, cause getting a long pan like that without any bystanders looking into the camera must have been a pain to get.

Disney Magic! https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/680619860561244160

I really enjoyed this video. He's grown a lot as a filmmaker and as a writer over the years and I'm glad I know him. I'm sorry about my terrifying robot face.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

I always get Rip Taylor confused with Rip Torn. But yes, I am all for a sudden campifying of the reviewerverse

Now I would actually kinda want to see Kyle start a video off with a Rip Torn level of anything. Just stumble into his office cursing incoherently, drunkenly smash the camera to the ground and then be instantly replaced by a British woman. Hey, if it worked for Men in Black III... :v:

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Max Wilco posted:

I wish Bennett would stop reviewing shows that I want to watch.

I don't mean for that to sound negative (I really like Bennett's stuff), but I think this is like the third or fourth show he's covered that I skipped only because I wanted to watch it myself first.

Opposite for me, I bought Outlaw Star after seeing his review of it. He didn't spoil the show. (In fact, I feel he *could* have warned me about the cat tits) And he'll usually, if not always, say ahead of time if he does go into spoilers, at least when he's reviewing good shows.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Wolf posted:

(In fact, I feel he *could* have warned me about the cat tits)

To be fair, that was only one episode. One or two scenes of bare breasts is hardly notable in an entire series.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did you eventually watch those shows and then go back to watch Bennett's videos?

I think in one or two cases, I've said 'screw it' and watched the review anyway. I think the only case where I watched the show first was with Ghost in the Shell. The episodes I've skipped are mostly the more popular or praised shows like Akira*, Project A-KO, Trigun, Slayers, and now Bubblegum Crisis and Berserk. I don't know why I haven't really sought any of them out yet (aside from laziness). In the case of Bubblegum Crisis, I wanted to buy the Blu-Ray box set they did a Kickstarter for, but I've never seen it on Amazon, and it looks like you can only get the basic Blu-Ray set from AnimEigo if you live in Canada.

There also the issue where I've seen multiple release of the same show (I swear I've seen two different box-sets of Trigun, but I can't remember if there's any difference between them aside from packaging.) In other cases, there's the issue where I don't know what to start with or what to watch (like with the Macross series).

*I know people say Akira is overrated, but I kind of want to see the original dub only because I wonder if I'll be able to take Tetsuo seriously knowing that he's voiced by Jan Rabson.

Bad Wolf posted:

Opposite for me, I bought Outlaw Star after seeing his review of it. He didn't spoil the show. (In fact, I feel he *could* have warned me about the cat tits) And he'll usually, if not always, say ahead of time if he does go into spoilers, at least when he's reviewing good shows.
It's been a while since I watched that review, but I remember that I also wanted to check out Outlaw Star, but it looks like copies of it are pretty expensive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

It's been a while since I watched that review, but I remember that I also wanted to check out Outlaw Star, but it looks like copies of it are pretty expensive.

One of things I was quite happy to get my hands on by chance is Madman's first iteration of the Outlaw Star DVD set, because it's this really nice fold-out box set. Don't know why it was a thing (all their other anime series releases are either volume 1 + Collector's Box or full-series fatpacks), but I'm certainly not complaining :allears:.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This probably fits best here rather than anywhere else - OG internet critics/TEAM Rab Florence and Ry MacLeod are back together and have just announced a new 6-episode run of VideoGaiden on the BBC website for 2016 + one episode on BBC Scotland. Never thought I'd see the day - pretty exciting! Games TV is officially not dead!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I don't watch NC reviews of films I actually liked, because Doug misunderstanding things is kinda frustrating to watch.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

OldMemes posted:

I don't watch NC reviews of films I actually liked, because Doug misunderstanding things is kinda frustrating to watch.

Fixed that for you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Speaking of Doug, at the end of his Christmas with the Kranks did he seriously do a bit about how bad his early "reviews" were? Not to argue with him but it comes across as.. insulting? To the fanbase that propped him up and got him to where he is now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leal posted:

Speaking of Doug, at the end of his Christmas with the Kranks did he seriously do a bit about how bad his early "reviews" were? Not to argue with him but it comes across as.. insulting? To the fanbase that propped him up and got him to where he is now.

I didn't watch the video because I'm pretty much done with his poo poo but yeah that is kinda insulting if what you're saying is accurate. It's one thing to poke fun of the comparatively low production quality but if he meant that the stuff that made people fans of him was downright bad it's not a very smart thing to say, I'm sure a lot of his fans are still attached to those videos.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 31, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

I didn't watch the video because I'm pretty much done with his poo poo but yeah that is kinda insulting of what you're saying is accurate. It's one thing to poke fun of the comparatively low production quality but if he meant that the stuff that made people fans of him was downright bad it's not a very smart thing to say, I'm sure a lot of his fans are still attached to those videos.

Throughout the entire review he is making callbacks to his old reviews and yes, even brings up every meme he's ever done (so in otherwords, I called it when I said he would bring up the burger king and casper again) and goes "wow why did I ever do that?". Then at the end he starts doing this thing where his old self goes "Why do I not have any viewers? Why does no one like how I used to do things?" Which is actually kinda funny when you consider Doug "doing new things" was Demo Reel and we all saw how quick he was to go back to NC. Yeah Doug, those people that let you make a website, buy a house and eventually threw 90 grand at a game show were certainly zero viewers, until you "got a budget and quality standards"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

His reviews are worse now because he has production and budget. His skits are bad and why I stopped watching his reviews a few episode after he revived the Critic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plus, "where he is now" is about two years away from total obscurity.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Actually I've been wondering, ever since the incident to now, has his viewership changed? Did it get wider, smaller? I honestly don't have a clue.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This thread has certainly been watching him more since JO and Lupa explained why we shouldn't watch him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I dunno if it has anything to do with the incident in question, but it does seem to me that Doug is taking a dive in popularity. This thread is honestly the most discussion I ever see about him and it's all negative of course.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes, the Incident. Never will the world forget the dark deeds Doug Walker did. None of us shall forget. And none shall forgive....whatever it was.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Nothing more worse than bad management.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Yes, the Incident. Never will the world forget the dark deeds Doug Walker did. None of us shall forget. And none shall forgive....whatever it was.

He sucks?

Also he can't run a business with any sense of professionalism and leaves communication with his employees to someone who can't treat others as human beings.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This thread has certainly been watching him more since JO and Lupa explained why we shouldn't watch him.

Speak for yourself. Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

JB50 posted:

LOL if you subject yourself to Doug for any reason. That guy suuuuuuuucks.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
The point of the NC Kranks review wasn't quite what's being made out here. At least, I interpreted it as:

- Do you want to just mindlessly do the same thing, because it's "traditional"? Even if you don't enjoy it, or identify with it anymore? Even if things are better now? He related the old NC formula (yellow wall, screaming, memes, no analysis) to the Kranks movie (tired old jokes and formula "humor").

- On the other hand, if you never try anything new, you'll never discover anything new. Yes, you'll fail sometimes, but as long as you learn from your mistake, that's ok. Even if in hindsight you do something that you probably should have known would fail-- it's still trying.

- And overall, a message of believe in yourself, do good, and don't let other people and peer pressure get you down. (Half the plot of the Kranks is the entire community mocking, hating on and peer pressuring the main characters because they don't want to celebrate christmas, but the community wants them to. And the community as portrayed as being RIGHT! It's a pretty awful message).

And honestly, I gotta side with Doug on this one. I mean, were the last two or three pages of this very thread not on the theme of "I don't really like critics who are stuck in the old-school Angry Reviewer Scream Time mode". If someone started up a show right now that was 100% an early NC clone, would anyone watch? Or care? Of course not. It'd just be the same jokes that had been done to death a million times. The viewers want something new, or different, or at least evolving.

He does explicitly call out Demo Reel when saying "sure, sometimes we'll fail-- and even sometimes do things we should have known would fail". He looks at his phone and the Demo Reel title screen is there.

There's also a bit of response to critics in there too; it comes down to him being sarcastic about people saying he does skits rather than any analysis of the films-- and in the background is playing the review of The Worst Witch where they all sang and danced, and there's subtitles of the lyrics-- which are an analysis of the film. I never saw that review, so I can't say if it's a VALID response to criticism. After seeing the Mad Max review, I do feel the pendulum has gone too far into "more skit less review", and can be brought back to center quite a bit. But hey, at least he's HEARING that criticism, that's a first step?

All things considered, it isn't a bad review-- and not a bad meta-analysis / State of the Union for the NC. I didn't get the "old episodes suck" vibe from it, as much as "this is how things are, versus how they were".

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo. Spoony is streaming himself playing FFXIII-2 and I remarked "Oh wow, we're gonna get a review before 2016" and he blocked me on youtube :allears:

Edit: Yes it was a prick comment but to get so instablocked all things considered is pretty funny.

Now I'm quoting myself from six months ago because goddamn it I was right. Suck it, Noah. I'll eat that ban from commenting on your streams proudly since I was right all along.
(I'm not as obsessed as I seem. I'm just easily amused)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

(I'm not as obsessed as I seem.)

Yes you are

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Spoony's going to just ride the Patreon money until it runs out, I don't understand how people don't get this by now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Spoony is like a combination of a old child star and an internet reviewer.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Spoony is like a combination of a old child star and an internet reviewer.

Macaulay Culkin appeared in an episode of Best of the Worst.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

lornekates posted:

Macaulay Culkin appeared in an episode of Best of the Worst.

Yeah, but Culkin at least put out a video in the past year :v:

Congrats to Spoony for going a whole year with no content aside from tweets about how much he hates his followers!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Beefstew posted:

Congrats to Spoony for going a whole year with no content aside from tweets about how much he hates his followers!

Almost. Feb 10th & Feb 17th, 2015:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/movie-reviews/massacre-at-central-high-part-1/

http://spoonyexperiment.com/movie-reviews/massacre-at-central-high-part-2/

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Same. Never gonna watch his review of Mad Max: Fury Road.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

No games review since 9 August 2014. No film review since February 2015. Since his Counter Monkey, wrestling and Twitch streams have no scripts, Spoony has not produced any scripted or edited content for 11 months. Patreon? Currently £2,500 p.m.. E: Sorry, $2,500 p.m.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 1, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If Spoony even just streamed on any kind of schedule I'd be happy.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

No games review since 9 August 2014. No film review since February 2015. Since his Counter Monkey, wrestling and Twitch streams have no scripts, Spoony has not produced any scripted or edited content for 11 months. Patreon? Currently £2,500 p.m.

He didn't even put an update of any kind on his website for the entire month of October.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, but Culkin at least put out a video in the past year :v:

Hey at least he's keeping making sure to keep his bitching about the most mudane poo poo on twitter consistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Red Letter Media reads from Wookiepedia about Darth Vader's suit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo
Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center

KKall posted:

Rip Taylor talking the finer points of Chantal Akerman's filmography would make for the greatest video of all time.

• Locked thread