Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spacegrass posted:

I don't understand that too well. I need a clear simple answer.

Was he an actual son? Was he born from the Lord like our souls/spirits were (if you believe that) or was he just the lord in the flesh?

Jesus is eternal and has always existed, so he is not a "son" in the sense that a father participates in the creation of a son. Most if not all traditions consider the idea that Jesus is not eternal to be a heresy.

Now, you're likely thinking about those ~30 years about 2000 years ago where there was a human named Jesus wandering around Palestine. This is referred to as the "Incarnation" because that was the time when the Jesus who has always existed became "incarnate", a word that literally means something like "came into flesh" or "took on flesh". During this time Jesus was both fully divine and fully human. That isn't something that is easy to grasp and theologians spend centuries hammering out exactly what it means and that full understanding written in the vernacular would be a book-level undertaking.

So you're probably asking why Jesus would refer to another person of God as "Father" and himself as "Son" if they have both always existed. The answer to that is complicated, but is generally explained that it is the best human approximation of their divine relationship. Jesus is fully God but fully follows the will of The Father. There's a lot of patriarchy bound up in that symbolism, so careful on extrapolating it too far based on our human understanding of the meaning of those words in a human context. During the Incarnation (the period described in the Gospels), Jesus was perfectly obedient to the Father but remained a co-equal with the Father, showing the limits of Father / Son symbolics.

In Christian thought, God is fundamentally unknowable so while we can use our limited understanding to try to perceive how things work, we need to accept that the exact nature of God isn't something that we can understand in this life. At the end of the age / the eschaton / in the coming Kingdom of God, we'll fully understand but not right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just realized what a unitarian is.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Azathoth posted:

Jesus is eternal and has always existed, so he is not a "son" in the sense that a father participates in the creation of a son. Most if not all traditions consider the idea that Jesus is not eternal to be a heresy.

Now, you're likely thinking about those ~30 years about 2000 years ago where there was a human named Jesus wandering around Palestine. This is referred to as the "Incarnation" because that was the time when the Jesus who has always existed became "incarnate", a word that literally means something like "came into flesh" or "took on flesh". During this time Jesus was both fully divine and fully human. That isn't something that is easy to grasp and theologians spend centuries hammering out exactly what it means and that full understanding written in the vernacular would be a book-level undertaking.

So you're probably asking why Jesus would refer to another person of God as "Father" and himself as "Son" if they have both always existed. The answer to that is complicated, but is generally explained that it is the best human approximation of their divine relationship. Jesus is fully God but fully follows the will of The Father. There's a lot of patriarchy bound up in that symbolism, so careful on extrapolating it too far based on our human understanding of the meaning of those words in a human context. During the Incarnation (the period described in the Gospels), Jesus was perfectly obedient to the Father but remained a co-equal with the Father, showing the limits of Father / Son symbolics.

In Christian thought, God is fundamentally unknowable so while we can use our limited understanding to try to perceive how things work, we need to accept that the exact nature of God isn't something that we can understand in this life. At the end of the age / the eschaton / in the coming Kingdom of God, we'll fully understand but not right now.

That makes some sense to me. Yeah. Most people probably won't figure out the truth till we pass. It's too intense.

Though I just read the new Beyond Today (a Christian magazine) that said the Trinity isn't like most people think. It said Jesus is our "Elder Brother". And the holy spirit is God and Jesus in our uh, soul/spirit, whatever you call it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spacegrass posted:

That makes some sense to me. Yeah. Most people probably won't figure out the truth till we pass. It's too intense.

Though I just read the new Beyond Today (a Christian magazine) that said the Trinity isn't like most people think. It said Jesus is our "Elder Brother". And the holy spirit is God and Jesus in our uh, soul/spirit, whatever you call it.

There's a lot of different ways to understand the Trinity, but that's also one of those things that we can only come to by approximations, signs, metaphor, etc. The Holy Spirit really is the neglected person of the Trinity, at least outside of the Charismatic movement where the Holy Spirit is emphasized.

The way that I understand it, and don't take this as being authoritative, is that God the Father is the capital-P Power, Jesus is the way in which we can come to understand that power and you might call this reason, and the Holy Spirit is the way that power interacts with the world. They're all distinct persons, but they interact in a complex way that I don't think is fully understandable. That isn't to say it isn't good and useful to try to understand, but we need to be humble in our approach to seeking that understanding.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Spacegrass posted:

this is non-Nicaean doctrine from the United Church of God, a small religious movement roughly 30 years old.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah the United Church of God understanding is outside of "mainstream" little-o orthodox Christianity. doesn't mean it's wrong or bad but it's not at all typical. United Church of God is similar to other non-trinitarian groups in being restorationist - they consider themselves to be the restoration of the original Christian church (which has been led astray etc) and therefore separate from most Christians. Mormons/LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses are other non-trinitarian, restorationist churches.

the Trinity is very confusing but it's also core to most Christian theologies.

edit: oh the UCG observes the prohibitions on unclean meats in Leviticus. and they're also pacifists / conscientious objectors. neat

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 12, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So no bacon shrimp for 'em?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

Mormons/LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses are other non-trinitarian, restorationist churches.

I wouldn't call LDS restorationist at all, they're another branch off the Abrahamic tree like Islam - they follow another prophet who came after the Biblical ones who, in their theology, came with a new set of teachings that override the previous.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cythereal posted:

I wouldn't call LDS restorationist at all, they're another branch off the Abrahamic tree like Islam - they follow another prophet who came after the Biblical ones who, in their theology, came with a new set of teachings that override the previous.

They literally use the word Restoration in direct reference to the idea that their Prophet reestablished the true Church and priesthood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ohtori Akio posted:

They literally use the word Restoration in direct reference to the idea that their Prophet reestablished the true Church and priesthood.

I know. I think their rhetoric is at odds with what they've actually done.

Frankly, I don't consider Mormons to be Christian at all.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cythereal posted:

I know. I think their rhetoric is at odds with what they've actually done.

Frankly, I don't consider Mormons to be Christian at all.

The term restorationism is about how the movement characterizes itself, rather than an outsider perspective on what categories it falls into.

I would describe the LDS church as a new-ish Abrahamic religious movement derived from Second Great Awakening Christianity. It is its own thing from Nicene Christianity in terms of doctrine but it came from a very specific Christian context and maintains strong mainstream Christian influences.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just imagined McBain screaming at the ceiling. Except instead of shouting "Mendoza!" he's shouting "Spinoza!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

The term restorationism is about how the movement characterizes itself, rather than an outsider perspective on what categories it falls into.

I would describe the LDS church as a new-ish Abrahamic religious movement derived from Second Great Awakening Christianity. It is its own thing from Nicene Christianity in terms of doctrine but it came from a very specific Christian context and maintains strong mainstream Christian influences.
It’s also a great example of how the difference between a cult, a sect, and a religion is time. If they and we are still around in two hundred years nobody will be able to say they’re not a religion at that point

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah it's sort of academic how you define and describe different traditions, but I think "agrees on the Nicene creed" and "generally accepts the validity of each others' baptisms" to be a good way of defining little-o orthodox Christianity. LDS, UCG, JW and other restorationist groups don't agree with the Nicene creed and there isn't inter-recognition of baptisms with other Christian groups. they consider themselves separate from other denominations, but they still share pretty much all the same scriptures and are quite similar in many many ways. by definition they went for a "reboot" of Christianity because they believe the rest of Christianity has gone astray from the teachings of Jesus and the apostles, so we need to toss out basically all of Christian tradition and restore the Early Church

edit: I know there are exceptions to the validity of baptisms being recognized in orthodox christianity but generally there's a lot of inter-acceptance afaik

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 13, 2024

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I mostly call myself "Follower of the teachings of Jesus" rather than Christian. Saves me from a lot of the "Which kind of Christian?" gatekeeping. Deeds, not Words, and all that stuff.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I was walking in the park today and I think being surrounded by trees is like being at Quaker meeting. Beings in silent worship.

Also I'm reminded of Tolle saying that if trees could speak they'd just be saying "Om" like in Hindu chants.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 14, 2024

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Prurient Squid posted:

I was walking in the park today and I think being surrounded by trees is like being at Quaker meeting. Beings in silent worship.

Also I'm reminded of Tolle saying that if trees could speak they'd just be saying "Om" like in Hindu chants.

I'm reminded of Jack Handey saying that if trees could scream, do you think we'd be so cavalier about cutting them down? I think we would, if they were screaming all the time for no reason

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

While I'm reasonably sure that trees or other long-lived plants do not have awareness in the same sense that complex animals or humans do, I imagine they do have something going on. It's interesting to consider if it would be fundamentally different (or perhaps nearer to corals, adult oysters, etc.) or if it would just be slow.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm kind of into Ganesha at the moment. I'm really into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz5NN-TKtQE

dildo sample pack
Nov 27, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Happy Pentecost Sunday!!!

May 19th is the feast day of St. Crispin of Viterbo, the first saint to be canonized by Pope St. John Paul II. I really enjoyed watching this YouTube video about St. Crispin of Viterbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMZGHFxgOI

So I looked for a book about this saint and found one on Amazon called TRUE STORY OF SAINT CRISPIN OF VITERBO by Kim Flintoff and ordered a paperback copy of the book and then waited until today to start reading it. It turns out that this book is some kind of a scam product with no citations and a generic story about a holy man who went on a pilgrimage and preached love and brought peace and unity to groups of people who had previously been at odds with each other. The book contains no mention of the saint joining the Capuchin Franciscans and no mention of his canonization by John Paul II and no mention of Mary and little reference to anything specifically about Christianity.

Oops! Welp, this isn't the first time I have been ripped off. And there's still plenty of religious material that I have available to read. Thanks be to God!!!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I haven't read this but I feel that it belongs here.
https://www.religion-online.org/article/the-theology-of-pac-man/

I do believe that Pac Man and the teachings of Jesus have the same content.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry I follow the path of Dot Gobbler

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Dot Gobbler. Did that woman die in vain?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

inky, blinky, holy, and clyde

dildo sample pack
Nov 27, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Episcopal Church has unveiled a new Pride shield and has announced the hire of its first gender justice staff officer: https://www.episcopalchurch.org/publicaffairs/episcopal-church-unveils-new-pride-shield-in-celebration-of-lgbtq-inclusion/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

A front without a back.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prurient Squid posted:

Trees *can* speak, though. Tolle was well capable of contacting an animist population to get an interpreter.

Not really trying to poo poo on master Ekhardt mind you, it's just annoying when he makes metaphysical assumptions like that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Was out there looking to see if The Lord of the World by Adolf Mützelberg ever got a translation, this being an unofficial sequel to Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas, one of my favorite novels especially as a child. Anyways in looking I found that a former Angelican turned Catholic priest wrote a sort of proto dystopian novel about the Antichrist rolling up that was a stealth influence on some heavy hitters, this book is also coincidentally called The Lord of the World.

Anyone read this lad, worth picking up?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Was out there looking to see if The Lord of the World by Adolf Mützelberg ever got a translation, this being an unofficial sequel to Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas, one of my favorite novels especially as a child. Anyways in looking I found that a former Angelican turned Catholic priest wrote a sort of proto dystopian novel about the Antichrist rolling up that was a stealth influence on some heavy hitters, this book is also coincidentally called The Lord of the World.

Anyone read this lad, worth picking up?

It is extremely good and I love it as a book and it is also incredibly super-duper really really racist in places.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

"But mom," she persisted, "where do Gods come from?"
I paused.
"Gods have always been, sweetie," I said at last, and she scoffed.
"That's called begging the question."
"Yes," I agreed, resigned once again to the consequences of deep philosophical discussion with such a creature of rhetoric. "But it's still true."
She scowled in silence for a long time. I waited. "Okay," she said at last. "But where do specific Gods come from?"
I'd always known this would be coming. Somehow I still couldn't quite find the words. "Sometimes," I began, and then had to stop and clear my throat and start over. "Sometimes humans have hopes, and dreams, and needs, that they can't fulfill all by themselves. So they ask God for help."
"God," she said. The absence of an article adjective did not escape her, of course.
"Yes," I said. "We don't always -- differentiate, between the..." I hesitated again.
"The cosmic fabric of Divinity," she supplied helpfully, and I concealed my smile.
"Between that, and what is created from the fabric. We call them both God."
"Well, the fabric doesn't care what you call it," she told me. "But it seems confusing to call them both God."
"That's the fault of us humans, I guess," I said. She answered with another long silence. This time I was the one to break it.
"So then sometimes when we ask for help, God helps us by sending Gods. Fabric can be made into anything, but while it's still fabric it's not in the ideal form to do most of the things we might need from it. You can drape yourself with fabric, but it's better to do that when the fabric is made into a clothes-form. You can upholster furniture, but then the nature of the fabric merges with the nature of that which it's upholstering. You can use fabric for a blanket, but even then that means it's not just fabric anymore: it is a blanket. In every case it's still fabric too -- it's still God -- but it's also something different, that was made because we needed it, that was made to help us. Gods are those things made of fabric that have a sense of identity and purpose beyond pure, unlimited potential."
I could see the depths of her concentration on her small, perfect face. Thinking, hard, maybe harder than she ever had before. My heart ached with love. Abruptly she reached out a hand with a single outstretched finger, the others all curled back at rest in her palm; with her arm still extended she lowered the finger just slightly, like a pianist leveraging a single key of an instrument positioned a full arm's length away. She pressed her fingertip against that invisible key and as she drew her hand back a firefly came to life in the little pocket of air that had been empty just a moment before. Its fat yellow body flashed with confusion, a speck of biological fire visible even in the watery light of a late spring day. It hung there a moment and then it began to drift away from us, slowly first, then with increasing speed as it seemed to gather hold of itself, its surroundings, its sudden, overwhelming fact of existence. We watched it go.
"What did you ask for that God sent me, mom?"
I told her.
She reached out and pressed another invisible piano key. Another firefly appeared. Alit and pulsed with confusion. Oriented itself and then abruptly this one took off, too, in the direction the first firefly had taken. I could still see it in the distance, winking. It was so faint against the sunlight. Maybe it was my imagination.
"Okay," said my daughter. I looked back at her and she was looking at me, with an expression on her face I'd never seen before.
"Let's begin."

Help, I'm screaming internally (with delight) at this.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
We've come a long way since "Who am I to judge?"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mad Hamish posted:

Help, I'm screaming internally (with delight) at this.

:lovebird:

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I wish it was remotely surprising that sort of language is still a norm behind closed doors in he Church, but I suppose I'll consider it a positive if I'm not hearing it casually from random Catholics as often.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

There's an idea of Tillich's where he substitutes the word "sin", or the idea of being "sinners" or "fallen", with the idea of "estrangement". In this way to be "fallen" is not that humanity is inherently broken or wicked, but a description of the way we are (inarguably, I should think) not existing in states of permanent union with God. Similarly, things which might be considered "sinful" are not wrong in and of themselves, but because they are things we do that might be damaging to us, which might further that spiritual estrangement. Two excerpts to illustrate this point:

Theology of Culture posted:

Second, it was a rediscovery of the meaning of the word "sin" which had become entirely unintelligible by the identification of sin with sins, and by the identification of sins with certain acts that are not conventional or not approvable. Sin is something quite different. It is universal, tragic estrangement, based on freedom and destiny in all human beings, and should never be used in the plural. Sin is separation, estrangement from one's essential being. That is what it means; and if this is the result of depth psychological work, then this of course is a great gift that depth psychology and existentialism have offered to theology.

Ultimate Concern: Tillich in Dialogue posted:

Now take the term "estrangement." When I speak in any college about estrangement, everybody knows what I mean, because they all feel estranged from their true being, from life, from themselves especially. But if I spoke of their all being sinners, they would not understand at all. They would think, "I haven't sinned; I haven't drunk or danced," as in some fundamentalist churches, or whatever they understand as sin. But estrangement is a reality for them. Yet estrangement is what sin means -- the power of estrangement from God. And that is all it means.

The passage from the second book is followed by a student making an observation.

Ultimate Concern: Tillich in Dialogue posted:

STUDENT: I was talking to a friend of mine who doesn't go to church, mainly because her parents didn't. And her sister happens to be radically antichurch in all ways, shapes, and forms. We got talking about the same thing you are discussing now -- estrangement rather than sin. She was truly excited about the idea and said, "Well, I have never heard anything of this sort in a church." And I said, "Well, I haven't either in any church I've gone to." Is there any example you can give of an organized church today that understands and presents this point of view?

DR. TILLICH: No, I do not believe that you can name a particular church. But there are many good young ministers everywhere in the country who make the attempt. And for this very reason they are often dismissed.

I think about that exchange with that student, that anecdote about the student's friend, not infrequently, because the perception of "sin" as "estrangement" really resonated with me too. I think it's the sort of linguistic reframing that can sit more comfortably with many sorts of people who might bridle at the very Catholic-feeling terminology of being told they are sinful, or fallen; and further I also perceive the ideas it conveys as having an accuracy to our relationship with the Divine that the other terminology choices lack. To be "fallen" from some place or something does not carry with it a firm connotation of being able to find a way back to the place you have fallen from. To be a "sinner" is nearly synonymous with making poor or disapproved-of moral choices; it is often perceived as an indictment of the individual in ways that can provoke reactivity and resentment. Conversely, when one is "estranged" from another there is always the possibility of no longer being estranged, of returning to that from which you have become separate. When one is estranged from another, it is understood that there is a deep emotional complexity that fills the gap between those who are estranged, things which must be examined and addressed and healed for reunification. Not so with the word "sinner"; to my mind, in any case.

I was wondering how the word choice strikes those here, who presumably are more familiar and comfortable with the ideas implied with the traditional theological language. It is certainly possible that "estrangement" only seems like more precise and accurate terminology to me because Tillich's ontological perceptions were much closer to mine than seem to be those of many lay Christians. But it is exactly the way our perspectives so often align that I find so compelling and interesting. Both of the works I cite are from late in his life, and it feels as though much of his ontological belief was built in the same way I have realized I have been building mine. He knew that his understanding of his "Personal God" was true, and after he was satisfied with that his work became to discover what else is true, and what those other true things mean in relationship to his personal truth, and what new truths exist to be revealed when current truths are brought into alignment and looked at closely -- so much more closely than I ever thought a person was allowed to do in the past.

So anyway, estrangement. What do you all think? Yes, no, sort-of? Perhaps and maybe?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Getting to that understanding was a huge turning point for me in my own personal theology, as I grew up being taught a prescriptive legalistic version of sin (aka sin is doing one of these enumerated actions or thinking a prescribed thought) without an understanding of why those actions are problematic. I was first exposed to the concept in a book by Dr. J. DeOtis Roberts, I think Liberation and Reconciliation where he introduces it and then extends it to racism and original sin, which was a huge AHA! moment on original sin too.

Taking that understanding back to the Hebrew Bible makes a lot more of the "do's and don'ts" make a ton more sense, and it is (so far as I can tell) entirely consistent with the biblical tradition. It also helpfully provides a framework for being biblically faithful while contextualizing stuff like the "clobber verses" about LGBTQ relationships being sinful.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The other word you’ll see him use is “separation”, “sin is separation“. Along with “sin is a state before it is an act.

There is an excellent sermon he wrote in Shaking of the Foundations where he goes into what sin and grace are. I’ve posted it a couple of times in this thread. But here’s a link to the whole book:

http://media.sabda.org/alkitab-2/Religion-Online.org%20Books/Tillich,%20Paul%20-%20The%20Shaking%20of%20the%20Foundations.pdf

Edit: You are Accepted, is the specific sermon.

Anyway sin is a consequence of existing. If one exists, one is separated from other things that exist. Think, I am not you, for each of us to exist there has to be a separation. Sin is that distance between individuals, between each of us and God, and between us and our own self. And if thought about this way, it does follow that we will each die.

It’s also important to understand that grace is the reconciliation of this, the negation of sins negation.

It’s like the Marxist idea of alienation, but more radical as it is universal as a consequence of existing rather than just a consequence of capitalism.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LAB just a heads up there may be are folks this particular idea upsets. It plays an important part in the Cold War (and the Civil Rights movement.)