Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it's only most things that run bad on the Switch

I definitely wouldn't expect Prodeus to hit 60 FPS, at least in handheld mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise! Devil Daggers 2 just got released out of nowhere: HYPER DEMON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScglDSi9KUs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

That footage was like an icepick in my brain. Is that really how the game plays!?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looks like a migraine

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

What are the best boomer shooters that are actually out and not in early access? Dusk, Black Mesa, Prodeus (soon)?

My picks would be Dusk, Hedon Bloodrite, Ashes 2063/Afterglow, and Amid Evil. (The Ashes games are free but are, IMO, commercial-game quality.)

The Kins posted:

There might be something very clever going on in there, but I can't tell because it is completely incomprehensible. It's like Rez on drugs.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Kins posted:

Okay so what's going on here is that you have 180 degree field of view in front of you and also a 180 degree view behind you projected over your vision in translucent red, this gameplay video makes it a little more clear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw80khTnNhY

This is actually entirely my kind of poo poo and I'll have to try it out once I've got a couple bucks to rub together

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Friend of mine had to turn off adaptive sync on his monitor to get HYPER DEMON to run. Seems like such a weird issue and solution that I thought I'd mention it here!
I played one single round and uhhh it's a lot. Maximalist Devil Daggers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DoombatINC posted:

Okay so what's going on here is that you have 180 degree field of view in front of you and also a 180 degree view behind you projected over your vision in translucent red, this gameplay video makes it a little more clear
what has fov science done

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Angryhead posted:

Friend of mine had to turn off adaptive sync on his monitor to get HYPER DEMON to run. Seems like such a weird issue and solution that I thought I'd mention it here!
I played one single round and uhhh it's a lot. Maximalist Devil Daggers.

I use my 4K TV as my computer monitor and most games play totally fine - but every now and then a game will absolutely freak out because it can't "find" the monitor.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why not just give you a 360 degree field of view and call it a day

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the idea that anyone would ever need more sensory stimulation from devil daggers is very very funny

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DoombatINC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw80khTnNhY

This is actually entirely my kind of poo poo and I'll have to try it out once I've got a couple bucks to rub together

*Nathan Fielder voice* Oh, okay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was hoping with the millions they'd made from Devil Daggers they'd make a "proper" game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

What's the bad news about The Switch?
No trackpads.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

haveblue posted:

They're easing players into more advanced FOVs for the third game, Die Kata-ana.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

haveblue posted:

Isn't that just a top down shooter?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not if it's first person. Some quake source ports let you crank the FOV up to 360, and it's a fishy trip.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Volte posted:

Snapmap was cool enough but limited to snapping together existing rooms. Prodeus' map editor is what the actual game's maps were made in, so it will be way more powerful.

Not to mention it operated on slightly different rules than the campaign mode did regarding controls and mechanics and you had to do a fair bit of editing to get it to more closely match

Which was also why very few people liked the multiplayer in Doom 2015 either, like it was a perfectly competent experience but it had too many things done differently from the campaign

Guillermus posted:

Yeah and is really cool. Snapmap could have been better. I really wanted co-op Doom but most maps were really bad and it didn't have the same feeling of the SP (iirc different code?).

Yeah the Campaign, Multiplayer, and Snapmap were all somewhat different branches of the same base engine(due to the latter two being handed off to other developers) which is why they all feel different from each other, from my recollection this is also a big part of why Doom 2016 is such a bloated pig when it comes to how much storage it requires since it's essentially actually three games under one label, probably never happen but it would be nice for them to do a campaign only version of 2016 down the road since the multiplayer is dead and very few people bother with Snapmap anymore

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/DeMickyD/status/1571856041809448964
does this count yet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

the idea that anyone would ever need more sensory stimulation from devil daggers is very very funny

It feels like Im getting pranked but I know out there somebodies brain is finally, finally feeling the challenge it was made for

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was hoping with the millions they'd made from Devil Daggers they'd make a "proper" game.

With that art style yeah I was hoping for that too, but it seems they really hit a niche with DD. People have hundreds of hours in that game and looking at this it seems like they're trying all sorts of new things to keep it interesting

And about that FoV

quote:

• Groundbreaking spherical projection gives the player wide peripheral vision without pinching and shrinking the center of the screen like a traditional linear perspective, allowing fields of view up to 180 degrees.
  • A unique red holographic “rear view” overlay gives the player a full 360 degree sensory awareness of threats.

Maybe the only time I've ever thought using a marketing buzzword like "groundbreaking" is kinda fitting. Outside of wacky Quake FoV settings I've never seen this in a released game before, especially that weird red overlay.

Barudak posted:

It feels like Im getting pranked but I know out there somebodies brain is finally, finally feeling the challenge it was made for

The people that consistently get 10+ minute DD runs are probably loving it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

drrockso20 posted:

Not to mention it operated on slightly different rules than the campaign mode did regarding controls and mechanics and you had to do a fair bit of editing to get it to more closely match

Yeah the Campaign, Multiplayer, and Snapmap were all somewhat different branches of the same base engine(due to the latter two being handed off to other developers) which is why they all feel different from each other

I bounced off of Snapmap but I've always wondered if it would have been more successful had the player handled like they did in the OG singleplayer campaign right out of the box. It was just so unpleasant by default.

Probably not though.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Angryhead posted:

I have this problem a bit with my adaptive monitor. Dishonored 2 was the fussiest game when it came to the refresh rate and adaptive vsync.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hyper demon is insane and also great

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im here for the real inside scoop, does Troy Baker not know how to pronounce "debut" or is the voice director for Hellsinger insane? Tonight, we investigate <gets silenced by the powerful voice actors lobby>

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Im here for the real inside scoop, does Troy Baker not know how to pronounce "debut" or is the voice director for Hellsinger insane? Tonight, we investigate <gets silenced by the powerful voice actors lobby>

mary elizabeth mcglynn is going to shoot you in the head

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got a very specific nitpick about Phantom Fury: it's going for a style that never really existed. The game's clearly emulating HL1/RTCW/early DNF trailers in that it'll be more story-focused, scripted, and (probably) linear than Slipgate's previous shooters but it's still using Quake-style unfiltered textures in places despite software rendering having fallen out of favor by the time of its biggest inspirations.

Still looks good tho!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
here's a minor nitpick i'm not sure i've ever posted here but it's pretty common in newer FPS titles. apparently some folks prefer the top method which is just madness imo.

https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1572161532427108357

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gaspy Conana posted:

here's a minor nitpick i'm not sure i've ever posted here but it's pretty common in newer FPS titles. apparently some folks prefer the top method which is just madness imo.

https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1572161532427108357
Sicko poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Top method is def "we're doing a retro thing but we're just working from memory" territory

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Top method is "billboard rotated so it faces the camera" and bottom method is "billboard rotated so it faces the direction the camera is looking"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Sicko poo poo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sprites look bad in any true 3d environment and the real solution is hiring one of the five voxel artists that exist on earth to make art for your retro throwback shooter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom has options to control how sprites are billboarded, so here's a slightly clearer illustration:

The Zombieman on the left is facing the camera, the zombieman on the right is not.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I think my biggest gripe with it is that it makes enemies confusing to assess at a glance They have their planar rotation, which appears to always be turning towards you, but also their true direction reflected in the 2d sprite animation. This means it's always going to look like an enemy is turning towards you for a split second just because you'll see a plane swinging in your direction on the periphery.

The Nightmare Reaper dev posted this which illustrates why it looks funky pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOKn6oDu38s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gaspy Conana posted:

You are correct and also great thread.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, I also gave that Coven demo a shot. It's not the most polished game around, but it was pretty fun. Biggest question remains how the level design will shake out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just "demoed" Incision as well. It's a little odd, because while DUSK was inspired by Quake, Incision was very clearly inspired by DUSK so it's like a retro-shooter twice removed. Anyway, I was really enjoying it but it's fairly difficult and has some bullshit lives mechanic with seemingly no checkpoints and when you die it sends you back to the start of the level. Lmao, no thanks, hope this gets reworked or made optional or whatever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh ya and the grainy filter over the whole thing is really a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

I've got a very specific nitpick about Phantom Fury: it's going for a style that never really existed. The game's clearly emulating HL1/RTCW/early DNF trailers in that it'll be more story-focused, scripted, and (probably) linear than Slipgate's previous shooters but it's still using Quake-style unfiltered textures in places despite software rendering having fallen out of favor by the time of its biggest inspirations.

Still looks good tho!

Same thing could be said for Prodeus really, but it looks rad as gently caress so I don't mind. Not sure where all the dithering effects etc. came from but I certainly don't remember it happening in any FPS games I've played.