Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anyone have an opinion about the Xiaomi Mi Box? I'd like to try AndroidTV and Live Channels with my HDHR and voice commands with Google Home, but I give zero fucks about 4K and a Shield feels like overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TheScott2K posted:

Anyone have an opinion about the Xiaomi Mi Box? I'd like to try AndroidTV and Live Channels with my HDHR and voice commands with Google Home, but I give zero fucks about 4K and a Shield feels like overkill.

I don't have any experience with it other than to say that most people I've heard of using the things seem to be happy with it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't have any experience with it other than to say that most people I've heard of using the things seem to be happy with it.

My wife is really used to being able to just bark voice commands at the Kinect to change TV channels and adjust the volume, but that thing isn't gonna last forever and she's recently come to like the Google Home Mini we have in the kitchen a lot.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I put a mi box in our bedroom and replaced a tivo mini. Installed the oreo beta so live channels picked up my hdhomerun. Thing works fine. I control it via CEC with our samsung tv remote.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Not sure if this is the right thread for what I'm asking about but.

Right now I stream content from upstairs PC over wifi via Plex on PS4 to tv. The wifi can barely handle 720p content so I often have poor quality pictures. I also plan on getting an OLED fairly soon and will be wanting to put uhd content.

My idea is to put a small form factor PC plugged directly into the TV, stacked with a couple TB of hard drives to play content directly from the source instead of streaming. It'd be cool to control this unit via phone if possible, but wireless keyboard if not.

Is this a Stupid rear end Idea? Would llike to keep price in under $500.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any reason a wire isn't an option? It'd almost certainly be cheaper, and if the only thing wrong with your current setup is WiFi performance it seems like the obvious solution is to stop using WiFi.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for what I'm asking about but.

Right now I stream content from upstairs PC over wifi via Plex on PS4 to tv. The wifi can barely handle 720p content so I often have poor quality pictures. I also plan on getting an OLED fairly soon and will be wanting to put uhd content.

My idea is to put a small form factor PC plugged directly into the TV, stacked with a couple TB of hard drives to play content directly from the source instead of streaming. It'd be cool to control this unit via phone if possible, but wireless keyboard if not.

Is this a Stupid rear end Idea? Would llike to keep price in under $500.

Get a powerline ethernet adapter or upgrade your router.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
WiFi can stream 4k from 90 feet and 4 walls away? My router *is* old but I figured distance and bitrate would choke whatever

wolrah posted:

Any reason a wire isn't an option? It'd almost certainly be cheaper, and if the only thing wrong with your current setup is WiFi performance it seems like the obvious solution is to stop using WiFi.

Yeah, distance, locations and flooring make wires a non option.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ammanas posted:

WiFi can stream 4k from 90 feet and 4 walls away? My router *is* old but I figured distance and bitrate would choke whatever

Yeah, distance, locations and flooring make wires a non option.

And you can't try powerline ethernet because...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
In a lot of older houses I’ve seen circuit breaker boxes between floors and depending upon location of the modem and the NAS it can be a pain to reach endpoints reasonably fast. I wound up using a MoCA Ethernet adapter because it’s the only contiguous wiring that existed between two major endpoints for my current house. My last house I had new construction and I wound up wiring from the crawl space of the house into the attic to get an Ethernet drop in because the power line Ethernet was high enough variance in latency and incurred sufficient packet loss at about 100 feet of total wiring that it only got maybe 200 mbps that I shared with the WiFi network that was moving a lot of stuff simultaneously.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
What are some good NAS brands? I've got Rokus to connect with Plex, but my 8+ year old htpc is starting to get flaky and Plex is all I use it for.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Glass of Milk posted:

What are some good NAS brands? I've got Rokus to connect with Plex, but my 8+ year old htpc is starting to get flaky and Plex is all I use it for.

Turn that HTPC into a NAS.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Glass of Milk posted:

Synology is decent for a box you throw in your basement at home, but keep it away from the internet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

Synology is decent for a box you throw in your basement at home, but keep it away from the internet.

Synology is great, but I do use mine on the internet. It manages my TV downloads with some automation. If someone wants to crack into that, I guess go for it. My pictures are on the cloud, nothing personal in that Synology.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is nothing wrong with a synology on the internet. People hosed up cause they forwarded the administrative UI to the internet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
QNAP also makes some decent NAS units.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on an Intel NUC6I5SYH with the Kodi 17.6 and playback of a h265 2160p file is really sluggish. Is there any way to get smooth playback with this?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I'm having pretty severe sync issues with the Shield? Has anyone run into this issue and figured out a way to fix it? It's tremendously annoying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That's not a common thing so you're going to have to be more specific about your setup. File type, file source, network, software, etc.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Thermopyle posted:

That's not a common thing so you're going to have to be more specific about your setup. File type, file source, network, software, etc.

It's just for streaming off the Shield (Netflix, VUDU, Hulu, whatever). There is no issue from local files

Shield is connected to an LG C8 OLED by HDMI and to the network by Ethernet.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 28, 2018

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

It's just for streaming off the Shield (Netflix, VUDU, Hulu, whatever). There is no issue from local files

Shield is connected to an LG C8 OLED by HDMI and to the network by Ethernet.

You're leaving out important details still.

"Sync issues"? Do you mean audio syncing is off? You are saying streaming services like Netflix have audio sync issues, but files you play locally (with what? Kodi?) don't? That would be a more straightforward description.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm running Kodi on an android tv, which has been flawless up until a few days ago, where it randomly decided it can no longer see the SMB shares on my Freenas box.

Plex is working fine so it's not killing me, but I've restarted everything and confirmed I can see and navigate the shares from my Win 10 laptop and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips where to start troubleshooting. I did try creating NFS shares but it couldn't see those either.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on an Intel NUC6I5SYH with the Kodi 17.6 and playback of a h265 2160p file is really sluggish. Is there any way to get smooth playback with this?

Hmmm, is it because it is 10-bit hevc?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anyone have one of the cheap amlogic s912/s905d's? I'm trying to decide if I go with some super no-name thing and save ~$50 or just get a Vero 4k+ (amlogic s905d inside) for about $140. Already pretty happy with osmc on my raspberry pi, so I wouldn't mind staying on that. My Vizio has amazon/netflix/youtube/hulu/vudu built in so this is just a kodi box, nothing else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think you should buy an actual brand name product. But some of those cheapos are okay. Right now I usually go with the 2gb/16gb S905W boxes. Brand doesn't matter, it's all made up generic China poo poo. Like W95 was the name of the last one I ordered. Maxesla another. Same shape, guts, different names

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Based on wanting hdr & 60fps & gigabit it seems like I need either the s912 (which is being discouraged due to driver issues going forward) or s905D, which are usually closer to $100 anyway, which tempts me towards the Vero. EDIT: After perusing the osmc/Vero 4k forums for a bit those guys are really working hard to support people even with crazy weird one-off issues, so that's probably worth it to me.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 17, 2018

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
For a long time I've had my media stored on my main desktop and ran Plex and Kodi, used an intel NUC for my main TV and I also had an Amazon Firestick and a chrome cast in the house. I wanted to clean up my desktop so I decided to move my media hard drives into an old Dell we found laying around (literally). It wasn't fast enough to transcode some of the files so I finally bought a Shield TV. It's not perfect but it's really good and I've gone from having lots of devices and poo poo all over the place to one device with all of my services right there. It was worth it. I've ditched KODI for Plex full time now.

The only thing I haven't got working yet is using the Shield remote to turn the TV on and off. My Firestick will turn the TV on via CEC, but I can't get the Shield remote to do that. The IR works to turn the volume up and down on my TV and my receiver but I can't figure out how to make it turn either of them on or off. Everything else plays nice with CEC so I only need one thing to turn on for this to work.

And as a bonus my Xbox controller connected to the Shield and in home game streaming works really well with it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TomR posted:

And as a bonus my Xbox controller connected to the Shield and in home game streaming works really well with it.

Wirelessly? I was wondering about that, I opted for the edition with the controller but would be nice to have the flexibility to add a second to beat the poo poo out of people in MK2

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
No I used my wired 360 controller I use for PC games. I also have an Xbox One controller with USB dongle that came with the Oculus Rift that I can try. I did a quick search and apparently there is a version of the Xbox controller that will connect with bluetooth if you get the right one. I know there are other third party controllers that work with the Shield as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah the newer ones that dont have a separate plastic piece at the top/front of the controller are the newer ones that are more versatile with their connectivity options. We have a couple of those.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TomR posted:

For a long time I've had my media stored on my main desktop and ran Plex and Kodi, used an intel NUC for my main TV and I also had an Amazon Firestick and a chrome cast in the house. I wanted to clean up my desktop so I decided to move my media hard drives into an old Dell we found laying around (literally). It wasn't fast enough to transcode some of the files so I finally bought a Shield TV. It's not perfect but it's really good and I've gone from having lots of devices and poo poo all over the place to one device with all of my services right there. It was worth it. I've ditched KODI for Plex full time now.

The only thing I haven't got working yet is using the Shield remote to turn the TV on and off. My Firestick will turn the TV on via CEC, but I can't get the Shield remote to do that. The IR works to turn the volume up and down on my TV and my receiver but I can't figure out how to make it turn either of them on or off. Everything else plays nice with CEC so I only need one thing to turn on for this to work.

Did you go into the shield settings and enable the CEC settings for power on/off?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yes. I've tried CEC on and off, and the IR on and off. None of them work for me.

Overall though the Shield experience has been great so far though so I can't complain too much.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My dad is sick of his HTPC so I think he's due for a streaming box. Was thinking Roku Ultra or Shield, but all the comparisons I read make it sound like Shield is the way to go.

Now I remember that he's a big iTunes music user (has ripped his huge collection and makes lots of playlists) and this includes playing through the HTPC and home theater speakers. I'm sure there's another way to just use his iPad or iPhone and get the receiver to directly play it all? Does this just mean he should get an Apple TV?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
The ATV is a decent box, more so for people invested in Apple's ecosystem like your dad.

There are other ways to do it like you guessed, but given you're looking for a new box in the first place the ATV is a solid and easy choice.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

KingKapalone posted:

My dad is sick of his HTPC so I think he's due for a streaming box. Was thinking Roku Ultra or Shield, but all the comparisons I read make it sound like Shield is the way to go.

Now I remember that he's a big iTunes music user (has ripped his huge collection and makes lots of playlists) and this includes playing through the HTPC and home theater speakers. I'm sure there's another way to just use his iPad or iPhone and get the receiver to directly play it all? Does this just mean he should get an Apple TV?

Yep. And it's a very good box. Get the 4K even if he doesn't have a 4K tv. Beefier CPU and should be supported longer.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I've recently got a (16gb) Shield, and it's been great, until today. Today, Kodi started randomly stopping playback and falling back to the media selection screen.
I'm playing from an nfs share over WiFi. Again, everything was working fine until today. Makes me think maybe something updated, or it's sensitive to disk space or something.

I tried restarting Kodi, and the shield itself. Still happens.

I found several threads on the Kodi forums that look related, but no actual fixes.
Has anyone seen this, and solved it?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I've recently got a (16gb) Shield, and it's been great, until today. Today, Kodi started randomly stopping playback and falling back to the media selection screen.
I'm playing from an nfs share over WiFi. Again, everything was working fine until today. Makes me think maybe something updated, or it's sensitive to disk space or something.

I found several threads on the Kodi forums that look related, but no actual fixes.

Have you tried playing a local file? A different file format? Does it happen just with stuff on your NAS or also Netflix/Hulu/etc?

Kodi has a debugger and a log uploader add-on so you can see what's happening when it fails at least.

I'd also try restoring Kodi to default settings, or removing it completely and reinstalling (there are backup/restore add-ons so you don't need to redo your entire library).

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

5TonsOfFlax posted:

When i last saw this bug it was something to do with wifi discovery and IPv6. Go through to the Shield Android Settings, and play with the "scan for wifi networks" and turning off IPV6. That's what fixed it for me.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Slash posted:

When i last saw this bug it was something to do with wifi discovery and IPv6. Go through to the Shield Android Settings, and play with the "scan for wifi networks" and turning off IPV6. That's what fixed it for me.

I saw that suggestion and did that, but it didn't fix it. What did was blowing away the library and letting it regenerate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It's kind of amazing that the Shield TV is still the recommended box 3 years later after its introduction and that nVidia is still patching it faithfully with new features at this very moment. How many devices are still at the top of the heap in terms of features, footprint, and usability exactly? I remember when the nVidia Ion 2 was the go-to for being able to do DXVA acceleration of 1080p h.264 but that got dropped real hard once nVidia pulled out of the race. It's almost like without nVidia, the HTPC STB style market would be really crummy. Those years between the Ion 2 getting outdated and the Shield TV not being around were pretty awful honestly.