Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ThatCguy posted:

would look a hell of a lot better than a full face on a cafe/rat bike.
It doesn't look too bad when seen from the side like that, but when worn... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Replace the mask with a ball gag.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

:awesome: Toecutter as gently caress!

:flaccid: What a dorkus.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
I'd have a really hard time not speaking in a heavily muffled british accent if I wore that helmet.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

ThatCguy posted:

Eh, looks cooler than a full face on a cruiser and provides better protection than a 20 dollar brain bucket or no helmet, the other two primary options.

That's the thing though. It doesn't provide any better protection than a brain bucket. It is a half helmet + built in mask. It provides better protection than a scarf on your face, and looks like a bane/shredder mask, but that's all your $150 over typical half helmet price buys you.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Halo_4am posted:

That's the thing though. It doesn't provide any better protection than a brain bucket. It is a half helmet + built in mask. It provides better protection than a scarf on your face, and looks like a bane/shredder mask, but that's all your $150 over typical half helmet price buys you.

It's unclear to me how much protection it does or doesn't have. The "curtain" section of the helmet appears to be hard and part of the helmet rather than just floppy zip onpleather like on other brain buckets. The padded plastic face mask connectors also appear to be hard connections. (shrug) It has to provide some sort of protection otherwise why make it so... um... stupid looking.

EDIT
Never mind, it's just a "muzzle" that is held on by magnets. What's the point of this?

http://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/rogue

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 15, 2013

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/combos/26651/bell-rs-1-panic-zone-with-transitions-shield

Found a pretty sweet deal on the RS-1/Transition shield combo, woop!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ThatCguy posted:

I'd have a really hard time not speaking in a heavily muffled british accent if I wore that helmet.

I thought it was supposed to be South African.

Crayvex posted:

Never mind, it's just a "muzzle" that is held on by magnets. What's the point of this?

Ahahahahaa, so I was looking for a picture of some dumb wanker on a harley to reply to this post with, and I googled "stupid badass on motorcycle." Guess what the first result was, no joke?

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2013/01/bell-rogue-helmet/

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

quote:

“For years, our sales reps and dealers have had cruiser riders lamenting about the need to lose their bandanas for an open face helmet that’s got the attitude and style that they seek, but also provides some facial coverage for wet, cold or other harsh riding conditions,” says Bell. “The Rogue is hands down the meanest-looking helmet we’ve ever made.”
The Rogue is a 3/4, DOT-certified open face that mimics the look of a half-helmet, but expands coverage to the back of the head and over the ears thanks to a two-part design featuring a lightweight composite shell on the top and a plastic lower portion.

:frog:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I can't decide if that or first-person sexual intercourse in a popular video game I just played was the most embarrassing thing I've experienced this month.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Ooh, is that Far Cry 3? I've heard that is coming up and am looking forward to how terribly it is handled.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Low light underwater performance (and mouthbreathing), c/o myself and BotchedLobotomy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAXHE3IjhaM

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm guessing you meant to post that in the GoPro thread.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

It doesn't look too bad when seen from the side like that, but when worn... :stare:

Just needs an integrated visor . . . oh wait.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

My brother just described brain buckets as "safety yarmulkes". I think I'll hafta steal that.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

At least that one is a bell, and probably dot approved. Whereas I feel most of them are novelty helmets with dot stickers on them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

"the most badass motorcycle helmet out there" - Wes Siler

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SaNChEzZ posted:

At least that one is a bell, and probably dot approved. Whereas I feel most of them are novelty helmets with dot stickers on them.

It looks like a brain bucket but actually provides some protection to the sides and rear of the head. That's the gimmick. Calling your average brain bucket a 'half helmet' is a bit of a stretch, but c'est la vie. The thing on the face is purely to keep bugs out of your teeth. I think it looks OK for what it is, even if what it is is silly, and I can't even see it being as much protection as an actual 3/4 Custom 500 or something like that. But if it keeps some dummy from splitting their head open when they fall over in the bar parking lot and land on their ear it'll have done its job.

I don't have the transitions shield but I have this exact same helmet (paintjob and all) and it's p sweet.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Got a 10% off coupon at motorcyclegear.com if anyone wants it:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/cart/redeem_code/5E20F76AD9BC

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I had an Olympia jacket and pants for about 8 years and they held up perfectly and served me very well. Just ordered a new jacket and pants from them and they're still amazing. The new jacket has some nice features that the old one lacked, such as the removable liner working as either a thermal liner or just a windbreaker/rain liner. Quality still seems top notch and they've definitely got a customer for life.

I got the now discontinued Airglide 3 jacket for only like $160 and that price it's a total steal. I doubt there exists a better textile at this price point.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"the most badass motorcycle helmet out there" - Wes Siler

He sometimes says poo poo like this just to get people riled up, he was being incredibly sarcastic.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5801996-Wil...p-More-Shipping

:v:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Haha, you dick.

This reminds me, my aunt gave me some of my (late) uncle's riding gear, and it is terrifying he rode with this stuff. Fashionweight leather jacket with no armor, soft leather gloves with no grippy material or armor, and something my brother termed a "safety yarmulke". I wouldn't trust any of it for any kind of slide past parking lot speed.

Reminds me how my brother in law gave me his old jacket, which did have back armor...composed of a material with the rigidity of a wet sponge. I am so thankful I had this forum to pull information about proper gear from and not my family members.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It remains bone-jarringly cold here in the desert southwest, and I'm still riding this motorcycle for some reason. I think that has something to do with my Moose Racing Gauntlets!.

These things are great. I wear summer-weight racing gauntlets. Some gaudy red leather Joe Rocket things with armor all over, but these gauntlets keep my fingers from freezing even at temperatures approaching 0F at speeds near 75mph. I throw a chemical hand-warm pack inside, and my hands aren't numb after 71 minutes at highway speeds. Before, I'd be going 50mph and resting alternating hands on the cylinder head for 5 minutes at a time. Now, it's just business as normal.

I have a '02 B1200, and these fit around the various reservoirs and whatnot. They could be better in that regard, but they're designed for ATVs. I have an old sock wedged inside that blocks the air from the center, but the fleece hand ends seal around the wrist pretty well. If you've got gear that will last down into the 50s, these gauntlets will take you into the 10s with no problems, and down into the -10s with some socks/rags and chemical hand warmers. I bet heated grips would make these positively comfortable.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Those saved my hands from frostbite tons of times in the fall. I was chipping ice off my bike's gauges to read them and they kept my hands toasty, even with normal gloves on. I'd highly recommend getting some sort of gravel guard to puff them out because they tend to move around a little bit, but they were definitely worth the $20 or so it cost to not hate riding to class before the sun came up in December.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cross-posting from the questions thread:

Can anybody recommend some handguards that fit by being clamped down by the bar end, like this?:

Wanna get a set but keep my bar end mirrors.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

He sometimes says poo poo like this just to get people riled up, he was being incredibly sarcastic.
Was he being incredibly sarcastic when he said how angry and frightened he was by that electric bike that ran out of electricity on the road after telling him it was about to run out of electricity for the previous 40 miles?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Cross-posting from the questions thread:

Can anybody recommend some handguards that fit by being clamped down by the bar end, like this?:

Wanna get a set but keep my bar end mirrors.

Assuming the bar end mirrors bolt in like the ones I've used (with a standard bolt into an expanding nut), it's just a case of putting the hand guards in between and tightening them up. At worst you might have to widen the holes in the handguards or add a washer or two.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Was he being incredibly sarcastic when he said how angry and frightened he was by that electric bike that ran out of electricity on the road after telling him it was about to run out of electricity for the previous 40 miles?

Hey, I get it, he's an obnoxious jackhole, it's just sometimes he's doing it to amuse himself.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It remains bone-jarringly cold here in the desert southwest, and I'm still riding this motorcycle for some reason. I think that has something to do with my Moose Racing Gauntlets!.

These things are great. I wear summer-weight racing gauntlets. Some gaudy red leather Joe Rocket things with armor all over, but these gauntlets keep my fingers from freezing even at temperatures approaching 0F at speeds near 75mph. I throw a chemical hand-warm pack inside, and my hands aren't numb after 71 minutes at highway speeds. Before, I'd be going 50mph and resting alternating hands on the cylinder head for 5 minutes at a time. Now, it's just business as normal.

I have a '02 B1200, and these fit around the various reservoirs and whatnot. They could be better in that regard, but they're designed for ATVs. I have an old sock wedged inside that blocks the air from the center, but the fleece hand ends seal around the wrist pretty well. If you've got gear that will last down into the 50s, these gauntlets will take you into the 10s with no problems, and down into the -10s with some socks/rags and chemical hand warmers. I bet heated grips would make these positively comfortable.

Anyone want to recommend some other good covers like that? I have a '01 B600 and my hands are always the first thing to get cold. These don't seem to be easily available in Canada.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What's better, smoked visors or reflective visors?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Smoked tend to be darker, reflective ones tend to scratch easier. I only use smoked ones because my goony eyes can't take the sun, and I always scratched the hell out of the reflective ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How are smoked visors at night? I like the idea of them in the day, particularly when I'm having to ride west, but I don't particularly want to carry around a second visor just in case I get hung up somewhere.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

How are smoked visors at night? I like the idea of them in the day, particularly when I'm having to ride west, but I don't particularly want to carry around a second visor just in case I get hung up somewhere.

"light" smoke in a built up well lit area like a freeway or in a city is ok. Noticeable, but you can still see pretty well. I wouldn't use a dark smoke one at night though, and in some jurisdictions it may actually be illegal (even light smoke I think is illegal at night in the UK).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Linedance posted:

"light" smoke in a built up well lit area like a freeway or in a city is ok. Noticeable, but you can still see pretty well. I wouldn't use a dark smoke one at night though, and in some jurisdictions it may actually be illegal (even light smoke I think is illegal at night in the UK).

In choosing between smoke and squinting into the wind blast at night, I've chosen squinting. Dark smoke is miserable at night. It's best to carry multiple visors if you anticipate nighttime riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I carry 2 visors usually. Dark smoke at night is miserable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hm. See, my bike has zero storage space, and with the high single-sided exhaust I can't figure out how to mount a saddlebag. CB350-specific luggage racks are like 200 dollars when they do show up on eBay and all the generic ones look like trash. I wear a little backpack for things like a reflective vest, wheel lock, etc but I don't think I could fit a visor in there too.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Hm. See, my bike has zero storage space, and with the high single-sided exhaust I can't figure out how to mount a saddlebag. CB350-specific luggage racks are like 200 dollars when they do show up on eBay and all the generic ones look like trash. I wear a little backpack for things like a reflective vest, wheel lock, etc but I don't think I could fit a visor in there too.
My clear visor fits riiiight into the upper wall of my backpack, along the top arch. English words are difficult.

Anyway the point is it takes up almost zero extra space and I love it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can also tuck it around your side in your jacket, if you're not too goony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Just wear sunglasses IMO.