Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Southern New England (MA and RI at least) have DigSafe. It's a boring name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've only ever heard of diggers hotline here in WI.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PUPS (palmetto utility protection service) in SC, this is a good derail.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

"Alaska Digline 811" here

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

That and white roofs are reflective and bright as gently caress.

:thejoke:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Boogalo posted:

In Virginia she is called Miss Utility.

And they are loving just about useless, at least 16 years ago when I worked construction. They constantly mis-marked things, did you know underground power cables make a really loud POP when you hit them with a trencher, or that in the pre-cellphone days cutting a 100 pair cable got a lot of angry people outside really quickly?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dragyn posted:

Southern New England (MA and RI at least) have DigSafe. It's a boring name.

Same in VT. Wonder if it's for all of New England.

Though my boss found out last summer that DigSafe only does gas lines (and maybe electrical cables? Not really a lot of those around here anyway,) and you also have to call the local water utility for any water or sewer pipes separately. Thankfully they found the pipe WITHOUT busting into it, but could have been much worse.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Calling Miss Utility et al, does shift the blame/liability to them though should you do damage, does it not?

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Calling Miss Utility et al, does shift the blame/liability to them though should you do damage, does it not?

Around here if they locate something they tell you to dig by hand within 5' of the area to cover their asses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Iowa is OneCall, they only say hand-dig to 18" here. 5' would be such a pain in the rear end, wow.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on vacation and I found the worst Mcmansion.

Look at that smorgasbord of architectural features. Gothic arches, crenellations, giant clocks, they couldn't even match the stone! It's like they pieced the thing together over centuries.

In all seriousness though, what is with the lightswitches being outside the bathroom? BBC America did not prepare me for this radical cultural difference.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's just an old house thing. Most of the north american houses and apartments I've grown up in had light switches outside. It's only "new" houses built like post 60's or so that started to have them within the bathroom.
I even still see that in a lot of shops and restaurants, light switch is outside in the hallway.

What the UK is hosed about is their taps. Their wiring is also pretty unique garbage too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TheDon01 posted:

"Alaska Digline 811" here

I almost certain that 811 works in every state now.

there wolf posted:

In all seriousness though, what is with the lightswitches being outside the bathroom? BBC America did not prepare me for this radical cultural difference.

What Baron said. However, switches outside bathrooms are becoming popular again with the rise of wetrooms here in the US. It's an idea borrowed from east Asia where basically the entire bathroom is a shower stall. They're becoming popular with the elderly here. With a wetroom, you don't have to worry about hopping out of your wheelchair and into the bathtub. Anyway, if you put the switch on the outside, then you don't have to worry about getting shocked from the light switch.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 15, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Their wiring is also pretty unique garbage too.

Ring mains.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's not just an old house thing; it's because they believe putting light switches in bathrooms is too dangerous and you'll electrocute yourself (which may well have been the old US house justification as well). What if you flip the switch while your hands are wet or something!? You can easily find many internet sources citing it as forbidden by UK electrical code (it's not, unless it's within 0.6m of a bathtub/shower). It's not too surprising that people believe that, considering that up until 2008 their code forbade 230v outlets in the bathroom under any circumstances (now they're allowed only if GFCI protect *and* more than 3 meters from the tub).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kid sinister posted:

What Baron said. However, switches outside bathrooms are becoming popular again with the rise of wetrooms here in the US. It's an idea borrowed from east Asia where basically the entire bathroom is a shower stall. They're becoming popular with the elderly here. With a wetroom, you don't have to worry about hopping out of your wheelchair and into the bathtub. Anyway, if you put the switch on the outside, then you don't have to worry about getting shocked from the light switch.
My bathroom is a wet room, it owns. The entire room except the ceiling is tiled and all the materials are waterproof. Makes it so easy to clean when you can basically just hose the entire room down.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Zhentar posted:

It's not too surprising that people believe that, considering that up until 2008 their code forbade 230v outlets in the bathroom under any circumstances (now they're allowed only if GFCI protect *and* more than 3 meters from the tub).

Man, gently caress that noise... You're telling me that I have to use an extension cord when I want toast during my bath?

loving nanny state :bahgawd:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just make code require these in every bathroom: http://www.schneider-electric.com/en/product-range/61235-kavacha/?parent-subcategory-id=5630

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

My new apartment is the first place I've lived with a lightswitch in the bathroom and it is annoying as gently caress to get up in the middle of the night and fiddle around in the dark till you find the lightswitch on the opposite wall.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Youth Decay posted:

My new apartment is the first place I've lived with a lightswitch in the bathroom and it is annoying as gently caress to get up in the middle of the night and fiddle around in the dark till you find the lightswitch on the opposite wall.

I decided to use those illuminated switches in my bathrooms, since neither has a window. The one in my bedroom also doesn't have any outlets (it's just a toilet and tub, the sink is outside the door), so a dim nightlight wasn't an option. And I guess Lowe's switched what they carry between shopping trips, since one of them glows red on half the switch, and the other has a tiny green light on top.

And then I wound up replacing the fan switches with the humidity-sensing ones, so there's a big green LED on next to it anyway.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

My bathroom is a wet room, it owns. The entire room except the ceiling is tiled and all the materials are waterproof. Makes it so easy to clean when you can basically just hose the entire room down.

You know, I always had some questions about wetrooms. Where do you keep the other stuff typically found in bathrooms that you want to keep dry or just hidden from visitors? I mean stuff like extra towels, toilet paper, medication, etc.

Also, I learned that goons can't remember where the frigging light switches in their own homes are.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 15, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Look, man, ever since they bought APC, I wouldn't touch ANYTHING they make if I had a choice.

RIP, APC.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kid sinister posted:

Also, I learned that goons can't remember where the frigging light switches in their own homes are.

In half the places I've lived, light switches have been roughly nipple height. The other half, roughly navel height. When it's late and I'm tired, I'm just going to grope the wall one place and then the other until I find a switch surround.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kid sinister posted:

You know, I always had some questions about wetrooms. Where do you keep the other stuff typically found in bathrooms that you want to keep dry or just hidden from visitors? I mean stuff like extra towels, toilet paper, medication, etc.

It doesn't go in the bathroom, you keep it in a closet or hutch outside the bathroom. Toilet paper goes on the opposite side of the toilet from the shower (they aren't big on that in Asia anyway), towels go on hooks where they're out of the spray. I'm in Greece rn and the apartment has a wettish room and I am in HEAVEN.

Don't keep your medicine in the bathroom. The heat and humidity are terrible for it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wet rooms are great if the only way you can get off is by scrubbing grout.

Safety Dance posted:

In half the places I've lived, light switches have been roughly nipple height. The other half, roughly navel height. When it's late and I'm tired, I'm just going to grope the wall one place and then the other until I find a switch surround.
If you have rocker switches, all you have to do is flail and then you've already toggled it! Perfect when half-awake.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kid sinister posted:

In Japan the shower and bath are behind a door separated from the changing area and sink. The toilet is in another room, often accessed directly from the hall ("half baths" are standard.)

peanut posted:

Toto's latest and greatest bath technology featuring soft, warm and quick-drying shower floor.

In HK our apartment had the lovely (tiny) toilet/shower room and idk you just balanced your toothbrush on the toilet tank and got undressed in the living room and always had partially damp tp.
Nicer places had shower stalls, but baths were uncommon in "affordable" housing.

Thailand has larger wet rooms that are easier to use and well you don't really want a hot shower anyway.

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 15, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Baronjutter posted:

What the UK is hosed about is their taps. Their wiring is also pretty unique garbage too.

Ring mains are dumb, agreed. What's wrong with our taps though?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

I almost certain that 811 works in every state now.

Well Finland is an Asian country in that it's inhabited by Mongols and we have "wetrooms" but also light switches on the inside. Science can't explain that! GOD: 1, ATHEISTS: 0

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Towels are on a rack in the bathroom, but distanced from the shower so they don't get splashed. Toilet paper is in a cupboard outside the bathroom. Stuff like deoderant, toothpaste, hair product and similar stuff generally aren't sensitive to water so it doesn't matter if it gets splashed.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Cakefool posted:

Ring mains are dumb, agreed. What's wrong with our taps though?

That old requirement to separate hot and cold. Backflow preventer and a consequence of hot water not being potable and/or attic water tanks, iirc?

attic tanks are great for helpin' with water pressure on the ground floor though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Light switches outside the bathroom are for pussies.

I can reach four mains switches while standing under the spray of my shower.

That in particular is probably a bad idea, but a few drops of water on your hands as you flick a switch are no big deal, especially if you use superior American lever switches and not those dumb European rockers.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

That old requirement to separate hot and cold. Backflow preventer and a consequence of hot water not being potable and/or attic water tanks, iirc?

attic tanks are great for helpin' with water pressure on the ground floor though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHgUu_8KgA

Just wanted to confirm your statement for you.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
If you're lucky you can get a pull light switch inside the bathroom instead! Then you can sometimes have the door slam onto it because you always run into it going into the bathroom and it swings around wildly and the doors are all self closing with way too much force for fire safety.

Then you can wash your hands by constantly moving them back and forth under a too hot or too cold stream of water at either end of a tiny sink.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mercury Ballistic posted:

If they were more than I think 2 feet off it was their fault. We kept a camera in the truck so we could photo document when they were off, again. It was really just more annoying than anything, Miss Utility weren't the ones who had to talk to the angry homeowners.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Or you can just leave the light off in the bathroom so you don't have to look at your gross fat disgusting pale mottled hairy slug like body.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My toilet lid has a blue light so I don't have to turn on the bathroom light (I still get pee everywhere)

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

Wet rooms are great if the only way you can get off is by scrubbing grout.

qft

In our last place, the shower was just 2cm lowered from the rest of the floor, and divided off by a shower curtain. This meant that, inevitably, not just the lowered part for the shower, but the whole room turned into a wet room. Pair that with a ground-floor flat, no underfloor heating and the only source of heat coming from an electric(!) towel rack which only offered "hot" and "off" as options, and you had the perfect petri dish for mold appearing in the grouting. Bonus point? If you stood in just the right place, you could feel where the pipes for the warm-water radiator in the bedroom lay, which means they could have simply ran that pipe to and fro a few times in the floor for some basic underfloor heating which probably would have mitigated at least some of the problems, and would have made the bathroom more pleasant to use. :britain:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hollow Talk posted:

qft

In our last place, the shower was just 2cm lowered from the rest of the floor, and divided off by a shower curtain. This meant that, inevitably, not just the lowered part for the shower, but the whole room turned into a wet room. Pair that with a ground-floor flat, no underfloor heating and the only source of heat coming from an electric(!) towel rack which only offered "hot" and "off" as options, and you had the perfect petri dish for mold appearing in the grouting. Bonus point? If you stood in just the right place, you could feel where the pipes for the warm-water radiator in the bedroom lay, which means they could have simply ran that pipe to and fro a few times in the floor for some basic underfloor heating which probably would have mitigated at least some of the problems, and would have made the bathroom more pleasant to use. :britain:

There's no mold/mildew resistant grout available?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

flosofl posted:

There's no mold/mildew resistant grout available?

There probably is. There certainly wasn't in that place. ;)

edit: To be fair, that was university housing, and everybody knows students aren't real people, so why bother with things like heated bathrooms, or white goods in the kitchen that would fit without gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

Toilet paper is in a cupboard outside the bathroom.

So if you're dropping a deuce and the roll is out, you either gotta waddle with your pants around your ankles outside the bathroom to get another roll if nobody's home, or waddle to the door and unlock it to beg someone to bring you one?