Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
You can also take a y peeler to a butternut squash and make noodles that you can either sautee up real fast with whatever or let them sit in some acid to soften up before serving them raw in a salad. Butternut noodles, arugula, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and pecans/almonds with an herby/dijony vinaigrette is a salad I love making in the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Hey, if I run a slow cooker outside in 50 degree weather, will it cook slower or will it cook in the same time and just take up more power?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It'll be fine I'd guess. Might take a little extra time, won't use extra power because it's probably just a fixed heating element that does all it can.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I live in a house with awful vegetarians who won't let me cook inside even if it's just a microwave, in the basement, and not using any of the house implements or dishes. I am literally not allowed to heat a beef burrito in my own room in my own microwave on a paper plate. I managed to get them to agree to let me cook on the back porch.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pile of Kittens posted:

I live in a house with awful vegetarians who won't let me cook inside even if it's just a microwave, in the basement, and not using any of the house implements or dishes. I am literally not allowed to heat a beef burrito in my own room in my own microwave on a paper plate. I managed to get them to agree to let me cook on the back porch.

jesus christ move

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Pile of Kittens posted:

Why the gently caress would you willingly go in to that type of situation??

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
gently caress that, cook bacon until they love meat.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Hang up a bacon air freshener or burn one of those White Castle scented candles.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Roast a whole pig on the back porch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pile of Kittens posted:

They are assholes. I say that as someone whose wife is vegetarian and has a vegetarian household. Do they have a cat or dog?

Skinny, that salad sounds bloody amazing. What acid would you use? I'm thinking that lemon juice might be too tart; a mild cider vinegar?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Safety Engineer posted:

Why the gently caress would you willingly go in to that type of situation??
I spent a summer living at a lesbian vegan coop in Austin, despite being neither, because I could flop there for free.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

therattle posted:

They are assholes. I say that as someone whose wife is vegetarian and has a vegetarian household. Do they have a cat or dog?

Skinny, that salad sounds bloody amazing. What acid would you use? I'm thinking that lemon juice might be too tart; a mild cider vinegar?

I just let the bnut sit in the vinaigrette for a little bit (1-2min or so) before adding the arugula and tossing them together. I dug up my old kitchen notebook to find what all was in the vinaigrette - red wine vin, garlic oil, olive oil, dijon, rosemary, sage, and a little salt and sugar to round it all out. But yeah, you can do whatever as far as acid goes, based on what you're doing with it. My favorite thing about bnut noodles is they last a week after you peel them off the squash, and you can just keep a tupperware of them in the fridge. Make a salad with a handful one day, sautee some with rosemary, garlic, and butter the next day, etc.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Pile of Kittens posted:

If you are at all paying rent/not hiding out from the law please feel free to tell them to get hosed and cook a loving burrito.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They are the reason people hate vegetarians as a rule. Tell them a vegetarian said this, then make your goddamned beef burrito because it's not like the cow's soul is going to scream from the microwave every time they open the door.

On the off chance that it does, move far and fast.

Oh, and E:

Skinny King Pimp posted:

You can also take a y peeler to a butternut squash and make noodles that you can either sautee up real fast with whatever or let them sit in some acid to soften up before serving them raw in a salad. Butternut noodles, arugula, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and pecans/almonds with an herby/dijony vinaigrette is a salad I love making in the fall.

I was already doing a greens/dried cranberries/pecans/cheese salad so gently caress it, I will totally add those noodles and see how it turns out. My vinaigrette is almost the exact same as you're talking about too. So thanks dude. :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I just let the bnut sit in the vinaigrette for a little bit (1-2min or so) before adding the arugula and tossing them together. I dug up my old kitchen notebook to find what all was in the vinaigrette - red wine vin, garlic oil, olive oil, dijon, rosemary, sage, and a little salt and sugar to round it all out. But yeah, you can do whatever as far as acid goes, based on what you're doing with it. My favorite thing about bnut noodles is they last a week after you peel them off the squash, and you can just keep a tupperware of them in the fridge. Make a salad with a handful one day, sautee some with rosemary, garlic, and butter the next day, etc.

That's awesome, thanks. Sautéed like that sounds DELICIOUS.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Just remember that they cook super fast when you sautee them. Like 1-2 minutes tops, and if you overdo it they get sad and mushy.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They are the reason people hate vegetarians as a rule. Tell them a vegetarian said this, then make your goddamned beef burrito because it's not like the cow's soul is going to scream from the microwave every time they open the door.

On the off chance that it does, move far and fast.

Actually they claim that it releases magical vapors that they can smell for days later. I'll dig a pig-roasting pit in the back yard.

edit: Thanks for being supportive, guys. I've been living here for almost a year and they only just started admitting that I live here. Apparently the landlord was just putting off talking about it with the other roommates because it's not an egalitarian structure and he pretty much just runs the place like a bad father in a dysfunctional family. It makes me feel a little better to hear that I'm not crazy or a jerk for wanting to be able to eat meat in my little corner of this hellhole. :unsmith:

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 16, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pile of Kittens posted:

Actually they claim that it releases magical vapors that they can smell for days later. I'll dig a pig-roasting pit in the back yard.

edit: Thanks for being supportive, guys. I've been living here for almost a year and they only just started admitting that I live here. Apparently the landlord was just putting off talking about it with the other roommates because it's not an egalitarian structure and he pretty much just runs the place like a bad father in a dysfunctional family. It makes me feel a little better to hear that I'm not crazy or a jerk for wanting to be able to eat meat in my little corner of this hellhole. :unsmith:

Do it when nobody is around just to see if anyone notices.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

Okay no, seriously, the only thing I can even smell a little bit is bacon and it's not like it taints my precious soy loaf of joy and sinful eating pleasure. How many TVP patty things do they eat a day?

therattle posted:

Do it when nobody is around just to see if anyone notices.

Do this.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just move.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Move, but leave a burrito in the microwave because gently caress them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Whenever I make carnitas the house smells like pig fat for a week. Roast the pig and then fry some of it in lard after.

I'd also consider aggressive motions such as replacing toothpaste with ground beef.

We're here for you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Chemmy posted:

I'd also consider aggressive motions such as replacing toothpaste with ground beef.

Some kind of pate would be a better choice. I recommend chicken liver.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Mind of a Chef has the first two episodes of the new season streaming online. Check out this one about The South.

:love: hot chicken :love:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Some kind of pate would be a better choice. I recommend chicken liver.

I agree.

Also start using meat-flavoured hygiene products to introduce the smell without breaking their rule.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
really, don't live like a slave just because you have lovely roommates. cook your goddamn burrito. if they say something, just be like 'sorry, I pay rent and live here too.'

what's the worst that can happen? they say you have to leave? they aren't your landlord, and if they complained to the landlord I'm pretty sure you could just say 'they are complaining because I was trying to microwave a burrito', and he'd just laugh and tell you all to stop wasting his time.

if the landlord is like 'no respect their vegetarianism', ask if he'll furnish the place with a separate meat microwave. if he won't, just continue to ignore it all because gently caress if there's not a 'no meat in the microwave' clause in your lease, I don't even know what the gently caress

poo poo makes me angry - just don't accept the situation whatever you do. I was shy once too when I was younger and probably would have been stressed out about this situation and have done the same thing. it makes me angry to think about other people submitting to the insane will of other (much crazier) people just because they're trying to be polite or whatever. gently caress that, people are nuts! if you're not the one being crazy, live your life the way you want to live it and let other people deal with their dumb self-imposed drama-problems.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mindphlux posted:

if the landlord is like 'no respect their vegetarianism', ask if he'll furnish the place with a separate meat microwave. if he won't, just continue to ignore it all because gently caress if there's not a 'no meat in the microwave' clause in your lease, I don't even know what the gently caress

It sounds like he already has his own microwave, in the basement, and they told him not to use it because ~suffering will leech into the house~

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also particularly angry about this because I live on the third floor of a condo now and am a grown rear end man, and some old cuntbag FSU professor of something or another and his deranged wife had the gall to yell at me - literally yell up at me from one unit below - because I was watering the plants on my patio and some minor amount of water had splashed down over the edge of my balcony on to their balcony - as if it never rains or anything.

like literally they were just yelling 'HEY, WE'RE GETTING WET DOWN HERE' over and over 5 times before I was like "SORRY I'M WATERING MY PLANTS????"

lol christ people are crazy

(this guy also threatened to sue my girlfriend/wife immediately after she moved in over some minor paint stains on his ceiling due to a leak caused by the previous owner, and myriad other crazy nasty unpleasant stuff arghh)

Me in Reverse posted:

It sounds like he already has his own microwave, in the basement, and they told him not to use it because ~suffering will leech into the house~

oh wow, I missed that part of the story. that's just nuts. eat your burrito dude. :(

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 17, 2013

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
All of these things are reasons why I'm totally fine with not having central heating or air because I get a huge rear end house with no roommates besides my husband (who isn't even here during the week) and the closest neighbor is like 100+ yards away and I can do whatever the gently caress I want at all times. Perfectly reasonable and acceptable trade off, in my opinion.

Pile of Kittens, buy a beef heart and nail it to the wall as you're moving out because good god gently caress those whiny rear end people.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, so happy that I'm at a point in my life where I don't have to have roommates or attached neighbors. Then again, all these crazy women keep wanting to move in, so... Speaking of which, the GF is really great about her non-meat eating, the only request she has is that I use a thin plastic cutting board on top of the wooden one when cutting meat, so I don't contaminate the cuts in the board with meat juice. Other then that she is fine with sharing a kitchen with me, and she even cooks with my cast iron, which has been seasoned with fat of thousands of animals.

It's all about making reasonable accommodations. Not being able to microwave yourself a loving burrito is not in any way reasonable.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When my cousin was visiting us in Florida, my mum offered to buy him hot dogs at this car dealership where they had them for like $1 for two, because she wouldn't have any meat in the house. My husband used to live with two omnivores, and was fine with whatever they made, as long as they didn't use his cookware for it. The microwave was shared between the three of them, and it was fair game for anything, because it's a loving microwave. As long as you're not heating fish in the microwave, and making the entire city stink of it, I'd say you're being fairly reasonable. When I lived with non-vegetarian roommates, I was fine with whatever they made, as long as it wasn't in my cookware or dishes (or if it was, I'd just ask that they run it through the dishwasher to sterilise it properly).

It's one thing if you're living somewhere rent-free, or if the rules were abundantly evident before you moved in. My mum rents out rooms, and makes it clear that she won't have meat in the house. If someone's not down with that, they both move on. However, it's abundantly clear from moment one about that situation. Husband and I keep a vegan house, but I'm not going to bitch someone out for wearing their leather shoes when they come over, because I'm not a weirdo who thinks that everyone else should follow my rules.

My friend T is a vegan, and her boyfriend V is a t-rex. That guy will eat three hot dogs for a snack. When she goes grocery shopping, she'll make sure to get him those frozen meats that you can reheat in the microwave or in the toaster oven (because V can't cook worth a poo poo), or if it's an actual piece of meat, she'll cook it on the grill outside, so the house doesn't have the smell permeating through it.

Were I in a situation where I couldn't afford to live alone (as in, just me and the husband), I'd ask for some basic courtesy (make the meat when I'm not around, avoid cross contamination, and/or clean up after yourself). Aside from that, the microwave is always fair game. There's reasonable accommodations, and outright silliness. Your roommates seem to fall into the latter category.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pile of Kittens, have you considered calling them out on their prejudice?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pile of Kittens - rub some boneless country-style pork ribs with salt, pepper, and a metric fuckload of cumin. Cook all day in a crock pot in a central location in your place. Then, at the end of the day, remove and shred the meat. Congratulations, you just made some delicious pulled pork while also making the house smell like an armpit!! I know this because I did this a few months ago. Took a solid week for the smell to go away.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't get the whole "cumin smells like armpits" thing. The only people whose armpits smell like cumin are people who already eat fuckloads of the stuff.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
It's a chicken and egg scenario.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't get the whole "cumin smells like armpits" thing. The only people whose armpits smell like cumin are people who already eat fuckloads of the stuff.

I think it's hyperbole like in "This tastes like poo poo". Oh really? You've eaten poo poo?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I have only, in the last few years, developed a taste for cumin.
I really disliked it when I was young and barely tolerated it when I was older.
When I started cooking more seriously, later in life, I still didn't like it much as a dominant flavor but noticed its absence in stuff in which it was supposed to be.

I blame my mother for preparing lovely tacos from Old El Paso taco kits. My distaste for cumin may come from associating that flavor with greasy hamburger, overcooked in cumin-flavored starch and MSG, then soaking through the bottom of a stale, burned taco shell, topped with some wilted iceberg lettuce and "mexican cheese".

Love it now though.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I kind of get the BO comment about cumin, its like two sides to the same smell... One is great, one is armpits.

In other news, I made almond butter for the first time today since almonds were real cheap at the store I go to, never buying almond butter again! Unless I'm at Costco.

What other nuts should I food process into delicious sandwich topping and smoothie additive? Added a pinch of salt and some maple syrup, so good. I'm probably going to head back to the store to buy more to freeze until next time since they're $4.99/lb, which is cheaper than I can usually buy them around here.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Cumin was one of my first "culinary awakenings" so to speak. I remember seeing it as a little kid, smelling and tasting it, and saying to my mom "this is what makes chili taste like chili, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Croatoan posted:

I think it's hyperbole like in "This tastes like poo poo". Oh really? You've eaten poo poo?

You haven't done a whole lot of living, have you?