Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

And as bad as a horseshoe is, that 'chip sandwich' manages to be even worse.

You people put ranch dressing on your pizza. You've forfeited all right to complain about food from anywhere else, forever.

Hell, ranch dressing's existence on its own is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So do any RPGs have robust cooking systems?

What game system would I use to run Iron Chef?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ars Magica. The wizards are the chefs, and their underlings scour the world for ingredients.

Maybe Rolemaster, but you'd have a 10% chance of water catching fire every turn.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Quarex posted:

Important sidenote: The Horseshoe is sometimes served in school lunches in Central Illinois. Or at least still was in the 1990s. And we can only hope it still is today. And that the chip butty is served in English school lunches.
jfc

Lemon-Lime posted:

You people put ranch dressing on your pizza. You've forfeited all right to complain about food from anywhere else, forever.
That is ... not something a lot of people do. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone do that.

Hot sauce, though. That's fantastic stuff, there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

I was working on a game with a cooking system for the February trad game contest, but I was never satisfied with it and it's not playtested.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Mors Rattus posted:

I believe one of the Fate Worlds was a pastiche of Iron Chef but I haven't read it and can't remember the name so I have no idea how the cooking stacked up.

Kwyndig posted:

I was working on a game with a cooking system for the February trad game contest, but I was never satisfied with it and it's not playtested.

Maybe cookery games is a good contest for August.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

potatocubed posted:

I believe one of the Fate Worlds was a pastiche of Iron Chef but I haven't read it and can't remember the name so I have no idea how the cooking stacked up.

Uranium Chef. I haven't read it either.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

This got lost in the discussion but I wanted to go back and say that it's a great article if you want an idea of how cool Mike Pondsmith is.

and this is a good quote
Pondsmith is awesome. I'm not the biggest fan of CP2020 or its mechanics, but he's one of the few designers who seem to really get the themes of the sources he draws on--people like to say that CP2020 represented the Bubblegum Crisis, et al. branch of cyberpunk, but it wasn't for nothing that they released a When Gravity Fails supplement.

Hearing over the years that he'd bounced from tabletop gaming to Microsoft and various other companies, I was afraid he was kind of lost and adrift professionally. I'm really pleased to hear he made "I could retire today, but..." money, he certainly deserves it.

Ettin posted:

Are you talking poo poo about my boy DJ Devastator?

Nah, I mean the stuff like the pseudo-Roman religion, the empire (which is good for Emperor Reagan and not much else), the way it flat-out admits that D&D classes don't fit into its setting but it uses them anyway...tons of cruft built around a great concept.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Next time you're at a proper buffet, try nacho cheese on spaghetti with some fried chicken wings on the side. Absolutely delicious greasy abomination, if someone's come up with better I want to know about it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Bieeardo posted:

Ars Magica. The wizards are the chefs, and their underlings scour the world for ingredients.

Maybe Rolemaster, but you'd have a 10% chance of water catching fire every turn.

Ars Magica is almost always the right choice for any what should I play question.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Bruceski posted:

Next time you're at a proper buffet, try nacho cheese on spaghetti with some fried chicken wings on the side. Absolutely delicious greasy abomination, if someone's come up with better I want to know about it.

:barf:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dwarf74 posted:

That is ... not something a lot of people do. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone do that.
http://www.whompcomic.com/2011/09/16/ranch-depressing/

(if you eat sauceless pizza it makes a lot more sense to dip it in things in my opinion)

Bruceski posted:

Even though this sounds absolutely nauseating (I have not really liked nacho cheese since I was about 12), I respect what you were going for, and I will counter with "get the sampler at Denny's with the cheese quesadilla, chicken tenders, and mozzarella sticks, and put the mozzarella sticks and chicken tenders into the quesadilla. Instant victory!"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bruceski posted:

you've successfully reinvented chicken alfredo

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cease to Hope posted:

you've successfully reinvented chicken alfredo

And made it terrible

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

you've successfully reinvented __________

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

And made it terrible

A Brief History of American Cuisine.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lemon-Lime posted:

A Brief History of American Cuisine.

The entire history of bbq in the US would disagree.

I mean, at least we learned to make food that doesn't just involve boiling. :clint:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

American barbecue is what you get when you combine the South American outdoor slow cooking idea with the French putting sauce on things idea.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bruceski posted:

The gently caress is a proper buffet? The only buffets around here are indian and chinese. Where do I find a buffet with wings? I guess a buffet with good chicken wings would be functionally equivalent to all-you-can-eat chicken wings for me. Why would I want to fill up on spaghetti or whatever when I could instead pack in more wings?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbozig posted:

The gently caress is a proper buffet? The only buffets around here are indian and chinese. Where do I find a buffet with wings? I guess a buffet with good chicken wings would be functionally equivalent to all-you-can-eat chicken wings for me. Why would I want to fill up on spaghetti or whatever when I could instead pack in more wings?

Probably something like Ponderosa Steakhouse, which I ate at a lot with my grandma as a kid because she worked there and yeah I basically just got piles and piles of chicken wings.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Countblanc posted:

Probably something like Ponderosa Steakhouse, which I ate at a lot with my grandma as a kid because she worked there and yeah I basically just got piles and piles of chicken wings.

The buffet is clearly a plan to upsell the steak, it's all salad and potatoes. But it doesn't work because everyone just made a meal of the wings.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jimbozig posted:

Look upon my work ye arteries, and seize.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Countblanc posted:

Nearly every Chinese and Indian buffet I have been to also has wings. Now, the wings are not going to taste like what you want, but there are still wings.

I do miss my younger days when the idea of Old Country Buffet sounded fantastic instead of suspect at best.

What thread is this again

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Looks like those don't exist in Canada. Nearest one to me is Niagara Falls across the border. Golden Corral is even farther - I'd have to go to Rochester to find one. I don't know that I've ever seen the equivalent around here. The closest I can think of is places with really extensive salad bars.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 14, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimbozig posted:

Looks like those don't exist in Canada.

They used to! Growing up in Belleville it was our special occasion restaurant. Also when they had AYCE popcorn shrimp. It's amazing what a motivated 6-year-old can eat if he only gets shrimp once a year.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

It literally just occurred to me that ponderosa is Latin for "heavy, ponderous" and that the ad wizards probably should have thought of a different name for an American steak restaurant, no matter how much they like pine trees.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Unsurprisingly, Hometown/Old Country is also US exclusive.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

homullus posted:

It literally just occurred to me that ponderosa is Latin for "heavy, ponderous" and that the ad wizards probably should have thought of a different name for an American steak restaurant, no matter how much they like pine trees.

It's actually named after the Cartwright family ranch from the TV series Bonanza. Somehow I can remember that 25 years later but not the combination for my bike lock.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hell, ranch dressing's existence on its own is enough.

Okay, see, I'm going to step in here. Ranch dressing, some blue cheese chucks, and buffalo chicken on a pizza is delicious and you have no taste in food what-so-ever if you disagree.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

It's actually named after the Cartwright family ranch from the TV series Bonanza. Somehow I can remember that 25 years later but not the combination for my bike lock.

Interesting. I hope the TV ranch is named for pine trees and not fat Americans.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

With Bonanza?

Could be both.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

DalaranJ posted:

Unsurprisingly, Hometown/Old Country is also US exclusive.
Yeah we do kind of have the market cornered globally on paying one price and gobbling food for hours. I will never forget in England I wanted to take some friends of mine out to eat and I Googed for the closest Chinese buffet, found it, and we went and ate.

When we left, they were both like "wow! What an experience!" and I was confused and it turned out that buffet had just opened up, neither had been to one, and that the city of 300,000 people we were in had never had a buffet before.

It was like learning that it rains chocolate in France (it does)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
You don't just pour ranch on top of pizza like some kind of horrifying waterfall.

You dip it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

You don't just pour ranch on top of pizza like some kind of horrifying waterfall.

You dip it.
With that Buffalo chicken Idea I would have also accepted "a drizzle."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah we do kind of have the market cornered globally on paying one price and gobbling food for hours. I will never forget in England I wanted to take some friends of mine out to eat and I Googed for the closest Chinese buffet, found it, and we went and ate.

When we left, they were both like "wow! What an experience!" and I was confused and it turned out that buffet had just opened up, neither had been to one, and that the city of 300,000 people we were in had never had a buffet before.

It was like learning that it rains chocolate in France (it does)

Woah, woah, woah, hold on, what about raining chocolate in France?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Not that I'll necessarily turn my nose up at it, but I always have to wonder who thought "Corral" was an appealing name for a restaurant.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Someone made a list of Old Timey Western words and threw a dart.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
We had a very similar chain where I grew up called Quincy's, and my dad always joked that they named it after a TV medical examiner so you'd know where you'd end up after the heart attack.

Serf
May 5, 2011

When I was in college we had a chicken wing buffet on thursdays. I used to see people go in there and do work.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ProfessorCirno posted:

You dip it.

actually you just don't use ranch with anything because it's disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

S.J. posted:

actually you just don't use ranch with anything because it's disgusting

Some folks just don't like buttermilk. I love it so much I once made buttermilk ice cream. It wasn't very good - was like frozen yogurt from an alternate dimension where ice cream is not delicious.

• Locked thread