  • Post
There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
that mathematica output........................

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
that's Donald Knuth's screenshot btw

pram
Jun 10, 2001

thx virgin

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

that mathematica output........................

better than what youd get in some things today

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i wonder why he quit and restarted in /tmp

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
$ yum search python3
No matches found

centos is killing me

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Symbolic Butt posted:

$ yum search python3
No matches found

centos is killing me

you might need to enable additional repos

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol Python 3 is perl 6

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

thx virgin

you're mad

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lightbulb Out posted:

you might need to enable additional repos

For stuff like this you need the weird rear end poo poo called SCL, scl enable python33 -- bash

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah, software collections is kinda weird.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
patently false accusation

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean to write weird /cool

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
obviously you should be using nix tho

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

bye bye kdbus

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Symbolic Butt posted:

$ yum search python3
No matches found

centos is killing me

its in epel now

yum install epel-release
yum install python34

pram
Jun 10, 2001
perfect chance for Mach ipc to swoop in imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

please don't link to phoronix

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

one of the fedora kde maintainers quit citing that kde is constantly becoming more bloated and janky and he thinks that the kde spin of fedora sucks as a result.

after spending time trying to use kde5 for work type stuff and constantly running into little things that make it feel bad and having major things like the desktop shell crash, i can't say i blame him.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Kevin Kofler was one of the most rude users on the Fedora mailing list, so I'm not particularly upset by this.

univbee

Early last year, an anonymous developer had the idea to try to crowd-source a game of Pokemon using Twitch.tv. 16 days of continuous play later, they were victorious, with an estimated 1.17 million people participating. A new experiment is now trying to ramp up the complexity: the goal is to install Arch Linux.

https://www.twitchinstalls.com/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

Kevin Kofler was one of the most rude users on the Fedora mailing list, so I'm not particularly upset by this.

quote:

Mark Haney wrote:
> The problem with this is that, with the new 'Editions' seems to push
> everyone into the 'Workstation' version. Having fedup using the
> -nonproduct option (I think that's the option name) appears to the end
> user that RH/Fedora recommends going with the Gnome 'Workstation' version.
> I know I've thought that, and I'm an experienced Fedora Core/Fedora user
> since day 1.

There are also repeatedly people coming into the #fedora-kde chan
complaining about how they installed "Fedora Workstation" and were dismayed
that it did not include KDE Plasma (or even that KDE Plasma was not the
default!). The fact that Workstation is GNOME is not clearly communicated in
many places, and even if they read it, users also do not realize how
unfamiliar GNOME 3 looks and feels until they install and try it.

Thus, if the users were fully informed, the number of Workstation downloads
would be much lower. I also fear that hiding the other spins is only leading
to those users (who are disappointed by GNOME 3 after downloading Fedora
Workstation) outright switching to another distribution rather than another
spin. They will still show up in the download statistics (for Workstation),
but they will NOT be Fedora (nor GNOME) users.

Kevin Kofler

from other posts in the thread the download stats for the kde version were like 5%

also lol forever that there even is such a thing as a "spin", if the yolotd is to happen it ain't gonna be until there are like two three distro options max, never gonna happen while you have to figure out which of five or six flavors of one of the twentyish distributions is right for you. Linux is basically like "fragmentation? why yes I'll have more of that pls :f5:"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lol

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Just use xfce. Like that old screenshot of gnome is basically xfce today.

Anyway, I like xfce and the only thing I wish it had was three finger swiping like the one true unix: mac os

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I'm wondering if I'll get a proper X-Windows experience by installing FreeBSD

you know, startx just gives me an xterm, twm, and maybe xeyes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I'm wondering if I'll get a proper X-Windows experience by installing FreeBSD

you know, startx just gives me an xterm, twm, and maybe xeyes

startx is an abomination

twm, xterm, and xeyes are all cool and good and included in every good unix

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i wonder how long they'll spend on partitioning

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
xterm: for when you absolutely, positively, gotta have a bitmap font in 2015

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

xterm: for when you absolutely, positively, gotta have a bitmap font in 2015

fixed6x13 or whatever it's called owns, sorry about your blurry fonts

:smuggo:

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
(xterm supports truetype fonts though)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

xterm looks v artisanal on my retinal macbook

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

xterm: for when you absolutely, positively, gotta have a bitmap font in 2015

termite: for when bloat doesn't matter because your system has more than 1GB RAM because it's 2015.

oh to the other guy

iterm2 is a better term for macbook. It's beyond me as to why you'd run an x server just to run xterm on a retina macbook.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
steve envisioned the perfect way to interface with unix. the dream is reality. terminal.app

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nosl posted:

termite: for when bloat doesn't matter because your system has more than 1GB RAM because it's 2015.

oh to the other guy

iterm2 is a better term for macbook. It's beyond me as to why you'd run an x server just to run xterm on a retina macbook.

do you not get the concept of a joke or something?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ive been making stuff using influxdb recently (written in gods own language, Go) and its so great. metrics, logs, nagios events.. just pipe poo poo into it and throw a crappy javascript visualization over it and people will think you're a genius. check it out !

https://github.com/influxdb/influxdb

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

There Will Be Penalty posted:

fixed6x13 or whatever it's called owns, sorry about your blurry fonts

:smuggo:

if you get a high-dpi display, truetype is actually better than bitmap

it only took 30 years to make a scalable font render better than a hand-made 1980s monospace bitmap

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

ive been making stuff using influxdb recently (written in gods own language, Go) and its so great. metrics, logs, nagios events.. just pipe poo poo into it and throw a crappy javascript visualization over it and people will think you're a genius. check it out !

https://github.com/influxdb/influxdb

i looked at this a while back for exactly the same thing and opentsdb looked way more mature. also it's on top of hbase
http://opentsdb.net/docs/build/html/index.html

i got sidetracked and never made a cool thing though.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah its also like 100x more complicated since you need hbase and zookeeper and *all my favorite java friends come in for a huge party*

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4