Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

discworld is all I read posted:

So I know everyone out there was clamoring for an HD re-release of Night Trap, right? Well it seems that it is happening: http://www.screamingvillains.com/

Hopefully that means we'll soon be seeing Ground Zero Texas and Corpse Killer.

I unironically have been hoping for an HD Night Trap for years. It's like the perfect terrible 90s horror movie but as a video game :allears: no one can imagine how happy I am about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Will it come to PC is my question. If so and whoever owns those other goofy games is down, then sure. Port all the weird poo poo you can.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's less a horror game and more a horrifying game :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

But will we get Double Switch starring the dream team of Corey Haim and R. Lee Ermey?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
So Outlast 2 is out and it's a mixed bag

I liked the school stuff but the hillbilly horror was so not scary

What'd everyone think of the super edgy big pit of dead babies

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
There's an Outlast 2 thread, but I didn't want to poo poo it up. I just...really don't like Outlast. It came out around the same time as A Machine for Pigs and they were both huge disappointments for me for very different reasons. As for Outlast, it felt like a game with no confidence. It relies very, very heavily on gore in a way that feels like a crutch. I hate to say it, but yeah, it's edgy. In a bad way. Almost the moment you enter the asylum you get a man telling you you're in danger while he's impaled on a spike in a room full of severed heads. You get a full, in your face profile of the big bad that will be chasing after you for the rest of the game in the first 5 minutes and starts the trend of taking away control to make sure you get a real good look at the scary thing before you're allowed to move on. The sneaking and running don't feel real. It's more like you're on a haunted house ride. The chase sequences are all planned in advance. Either you actually have the ability to hide from something, or there's no way to avoid the enemy and they have the space all laid out for the run sequence. You know it's coming. Just look for the waist high objects you'll be vaulting over. The writing, and here's a quote from Outlast 2, is "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress". Hey, that's realistically what you would be thinking when you step into a room of skinned corpses, but the notes and journal aren't any better. Some of the notes in Outlast 2 read like boys trying to gross each other out. It's not like I think every horror game has to be subtle and hide its monsters and there's plenty of room for blood and guts. I just don't think Outlast was able to pull it off.

I'm watching John Wolfe play through Outlast 2 right now. He's really enjoying it. The chase parts he's comparing to Innsmouth from Call of Cthulhu. I can see how scary and hectic they would feel. The story and tone seems ten times worse than the first. Walking on dead babies, a torture scene you're forced to watch from hiding, notes that talk about things like having wet dreams about dead babies, lots of implied rape, lots of abortions, slitting the throats of infants, some kind of god covered in dicks... Yep.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

That's a shame the story is so awful (based on the scene that caused it to be banned in Australia I'm not surprised) if the gameplay bit is good. Normally I'd watch Wolfe play it but after the first it sounds like it goes a little too far for my tastes.

Flubby posted:

Some of the notes in Outlast 2 read like boys trying to gross each other out....Walking on dead babies, a torture scene you're forced to watch from hiding, notes that talk about things like having wet dreams about dead babies, lots of implied rape, lots of abortions, slitting the throats of infants, some kind of god covered in dicks... Yep.

Wasn't there a similar needless edginess in a demo a couple months ago where the protagonist was in Hell? There's a cutscene where a deformed baby's skull is crushed, and there's frequent corpse nudity including an eviscerated pregnant woman with the fetus hanging out.

Does Outlast 2 still got that "sexual violence towards men, let's see how you guys like it" feel?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Does Outlast 2 still got that "sexual violence towards men, let's see how you guys like it" feel?

I liked this part of Outlast. Your average gamer plays for the feeling of power and control it gives them. It's a good twist that only horror can do to make them feel what it's like to have control taken away for a change.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Flubby posted:

There's an Outlast 2 thread, but I didn't want to poo poo it up. I just...really don't like Outlast. It came out around the same time as A Machine for Pigs and they were both huge disappointments for me for very different reasons. As for Outlast, it felt like a game with no confidence. It relies very, very heavily on gore in a way that feels like a crutch. I hate to say it, but yeah, it's edgy. In a bad way. Almost the moment you enter the asylum you get a man telling you you're in danger while he's impaled on a spike in a room full of severed heads. You get a full, in your face profile of the big bad that will be chasing after you for the rest of the game in the first 5 minutes and starts the trend of taking away control to make sure you get a real good look at the scary thing before you're allowed to move on. The sneaking and running don't feel real. It's more like you're on a haunted house ride. The chase sequences are all planned in advance. Either you actually have the ability to hide from something, or there's no way to avoid the enemy and they have the space all laid out for the run sequence. You know it's coming. Just look for the waist high objects you'll be vaulting over. The writing, and here's a quote from Outlast 2, is "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress". Hey, that's realistically what you would be thinking when you step into a room of skinned corpses, but the notes and journal aren't any better. Some of the notes in Outlast 2 read like boys trying to gross each other out. It's not like I think every horror game has to be subtle and hide its monsters and there's plenty of room for blood and guts. I just don't think Outlast was able to pull it off.

I'm watching John Wolfe play through Outlast 2 right now. He's really enjoying it. The chase parts he's comparing to Innsmouth from Call of Cthulhu. I can see how scary and hectic they would feel. The story and tone seems ten times worse than the first. Walking on dead babies, a torture scene you're forced to watch from hiding, notes that talk about things like having wet dreams about dead babies, lots of implied rape, lots of abortions, slitting the throats of infants, some kind of god covered in dicks... Yep.

I made the Outlast 2 thread and don't like the game very much, so feel free to poo poo up the thread all you want. It leaned even harder into the shock value that at times made Outlast distasteful while doing nothing to improve the gameplay. Stealth sections are tedious and frustrating, with enemies arbitrarily instakilling you and no way of interacting with them. Its a lot of the same complaints I had about SOMA, but SOMA's story and setting made it worth powering through the lackluster monster encounters. I can't say the same for Outlast 2.

Don't actually poo poo up the thread, but negative opinions expressed clearly and constructively aren't shitposts so negative away.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cis autodrag posted:

I liked this part of Outlast. Your average gamer plays for the feeling of power and control it gives them. It's a good twist that only horror can do to make them feel what it's like to have control taken away for a change.

I think it depends on how they do it in the game, and I straight up mean the gender of the offender. A lot of people, especially men, don't recognize female-on-male sexual violence as that, sexual violence. That's why Outlast is seen to have had those tones and FarCry 3's sex-murder ending isn't. It's horrible, but its how a lot of people think.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think it depends on how they do it in the game, and I straight up mean the gender of the offender. A lot of people, especially men, don't recognize female-on-male sexual violence as that, sexual violence. That's why Outlast is seen to have had those tones and FarCry 3's sex-murder ending isn't. It's horrible, but its how a lot of people think.

I don't want to wander too far off topic and start summoning redpillers or whatever, but yeah. Your average male does not perceive women as possessing power or agency, thus making it impossible for them to claim power or agency from another person. A really good horror game would just constantly assault your sense of where you fit in the social food chain in terms of power over others. Where most genres (shooters, RPGs, etc) are power fantasies where you spend the game slaughtering everyone and becoming god king of buttfuckistan, horror can thrive on powerlessness. Doing it in a way that shakes up the player's real life perception of themselves would be amazing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Well there is a part in Outlast II where you're lying incapacitated on the ground as your wife is kidnapped and a lady just comes over to you and starts making some really sexual remarks while licking the gently caress out of your face and kissing the protag, plus, you know, dick chopping lady is still a thing you absolutely must flee from, so Outlast II does do some things right in that sense.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think Outlast's reliance on sexual violence as horror is lazy and not particularly interesting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think Outlast's reliance on sexual violence as horror is lazy and not particularly interesting.

It was interesting when they first did it because of the reaction, now it's kind of routine and just gross.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I cannot stroke off to sexual violence unless it is equally distributed among the male and female populace.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

I made the Outlast 2 thread and don't like the game very much, so feel free to poo poo up the thread all you want. It leaned even harder into the shock value that at times made Outlast distasteful while doing nothing to improve the gameplay. Stealth sections are tedious and frustrating, with enemies arbitrarily instakilling you and no way of interacting with them. Its a lot of the same complaints I had about SOMA, but SOMA's story and setting made it worth powering through the lackluster monster encounters. I can't say the same for Outlast 2.

Don't actually poo poo up the thread, but negative opinions expressed clearly and constructively aren't shitposts so negative away.

Even all that said about not liking Outlast 2 so far, there is good stuff in there. Better than the first game. I really like, (about 15 minutes into the game spoilers)the blasts of white light and the sound of a horn that drives people mad and kills the birds in the sky. There's a feeling of dread about that. Biblical apocalypse is some crazy poo poo and I hope it keeps pushing at it.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Flubby posted:

Walking on dead babies, a torture scene you're forced to watch from hiding, notes that talk about things like having wet dreams about dead babies, lots of implied rape, lots of abortions, slitting the throats of infants, some kind of god covered in dicks...

There's a cutscene where a deformed baby's skull is crushed, and there's frequent corpse nudity including an eviscerated pregnant woman with the fetus hanging out.

hahaha Holy poo poo, I mean, how is this NOT edge-lord poo poo? "And then? after he ripped the baby out of her vagina, he pooped and peed on the baby, killed the baby, and then STUFFED IT BACK INSIDE OF THE WOMAN AND SEWED HER UP! AND THEN, HE-"

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOYeW864w3Q

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I really like lightweight, short horror games that don't take too long to finish and are just kind of creepy or neat or w/e if not outright scary. have any good ones come out in the last six months? Or are there any good ones you really like that not a lot of people have played? the last one I played was the one where you were in that house that kept changing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Professor of Cats posted:

hahaha Holy poo poo, I mean, how is this NOT edge-lord poo poo? "And then? after he ripped the baby out of her vagina, he pooped and peed on the baby, killed the baby, and then STUFFED IT BACK INSIDE OF THE WOMAN AND SEWED HER UP! AND THEN, HE-"

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOYeW864w3Q

I think the 2nd thing is from that Agony thing, where the protagonist is literally in hell and has to hide from.titty monsters

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wasn't there a similar needless edginess in a demo a couple months ago where the protagonist was in Hell? There's a cutscene where a deformed baby's skull is crushed, and there's frequent corpse nudity including an eviscerated pregnant woman with the fetus hanging out.

Professor of Cats posted:

That's a game called Agony. And yeah, it is as bad as it sounds. I played the entire demo. Vagina dentata-faced titty demons, edgy baby murder and almost every surface appears to be made out of human components. On top of that it is a first person game, so the controls should at least feel a little decent. It doesn't. It feels sluggish and unresponsive. It doesnt' really have any decent mechanics either. You walk around... witness atrocities and... that's it? Oh yeah, I guess you can hide in designated holes to bypass a titty demon guard, and I guess you get multiple tries because after dying you can posses someone else.

Basically there doesn't appear to be anything even closely resembling a design document to guide them. A poor playing walking simulator that tries to hide that it is a walking simulator with barebone mechanics and gore. It's somehow both excessive and bland at the same time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

GulagDolls posted:

I really like lightweight, short horror games that don't take too long to finish and are just kind of creepy or neat or w/e if not outright scary. have any good ones come out in the last six months? Or are there any good ones you really like that not a lot of people have played? the last one I played was the one where you were in that house that kept changing.

That sounds like you're talking about Anatomy. Which is very good! For more similar strangeness, I recommend "Experiment 12." http://www.geocities.ws/experimenttwelve/ The geocities link, I imagine, is an intentional throwback -- it's a kinda 'each dev makes one part of the game' situation, featuring the dev who made Eversion, the dev who made Corrypt/868-HACK, and the dev who made Super Hexagon, among others. e: it is also free

I'm mostly looking forward to Prey.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 27, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Little Nightmares is also coming out tomorrow and its reportedly about only about 3-5 hours. Maybe outside your requirements, but it looks nifty

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah it was anatomy! It's hard to find the name of horror games cause they're all just a single scary word. I will check that game out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I still wish Prey was the cool bounty hunter game but at least NuPrey looks good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
NuPrey looks like Dishonored and the cool parts of Bioshock kissed and had a baby.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Bogart posted:

NuPrey looks like Dishonored and the cool parts of Bioshock kissed and had a baby.

Nah, it just looks like a straight up System Shock remake but with a retro future feel of some alt-history cold war Alien. It is a lot more arbitrary in its conditions like leveled hacking, inventory capacity limits and leveled abilities that make it more in the vein of the older than newer shocks.

cis autodrag posted:

Unfortunately all it can really do is just repetitively bring about the threat of mutilation, even if that works for most gamers. It never really seems like an equal sense of dread that you could give to women over these sorts of situations that would translate with men.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 27, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
But what if you were playing a guy, right. And the guy has his wiener cut off and then like the wiener starts crying, but it's totally crying blood. And while it's crying blood it starts speaking in like Latin or maybe ends every sentence with 'Sad!' and get this, then a new wiener grows from the cut and then the severed wiener and the new wiener start totally smooching. And from their kisses is born the anti-Christ or maybe like a reverse anti-Christ, and that baby has an even bigger wiener than a normal man. And then the reverse Christ, super hung infant steals away the severed penis and gay marries it.

I think that would be the pinnacle of horror for me and I'm hoping to see that in the Outlast 2 DLC.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

discworld is all I read posted:

maybe ends every sentence with 'Sad!'

Is my penis Donald Trump. Because that would be loving horrifying and I would need to auto-castrate immediately.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I recommend Until Dawn, but I always recommend Until Dawn

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

Have you played Beyond the Sleep? It's pretty neat, and not all that long.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crabtree posted:

Unfortunately all it can really do is just repetitively bring about the threat of mutilation, even if that works for most gamers. It never really seems like an equal sense of dread that you could give to women over these sorts of situations that would translate with men.

Not to mention Outlast II is about a hundred times worse about the implications or plain old up-front poo poo of how it's treating the women who get to be in it this time, including occasional snotty little quips from your character if you watch the playback on the special footage you can capture.

"I guess this is where the magic happens" in one of them honestly pissed me off at whoever wrote that, context is recording a practically comatose woman chained to a bed in their poo poo and grime covered underwear, in a mineshaft/cave rape dungeon.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

1stGear posted:

Is my penis Donald Trump. Because that would be loving horrifying and I would need to auto-castrate immediately.

Yeah, if you're going to do weird things with dicks than just make them like open up with sharp teeth and they talk to you sometimes before they fall off and just sort of slither around to eat like lampreys and throw up smaller seamen like monsters with humanish heads and either a single whip like tail or like bacteria-esque legs. There's so much worse you can do than just castration. Borrow from Parasite and make the player dread losing control over their own character. H.R. GIGER this poo poo up man, at least he knew how to get creative with dick creatures.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 27, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Also, can I just say that I'm really loving sick of cults in the general weird small hick enclave of TOO CRAZY Christians or small pagan murders type? Like, if you want to do an evil religion, get the balls to own up to a regular social setting where a predominant faith hangs over you like a Tyrant, watching and judging your moves. Where morality is enforced with literal inquisitors that are respected and numerous as the police and this is an open and heavily populated society that will just let your torture or execution happen because this is the law. Stop rehashing the same cults and just do something more with fear of zealots.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Outlast 2 sounds like an incredibly in-depth Aristocrats joke.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yeah okay all those spoilers sound horrible. I wish there were any devs mature enough to properly use the subject matter to scare the poo poo out of male gamers instead of just the standard "rape is bad so our bad guys rape, rape rape rape" that so much media does.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crabtree posted:

Also, can I just say that I'm really loving sick of cults in the general weird small hick enclave of TOO CRAZY Christians or small pagan murders type? Like, if you want to do an evil religion, get the balls to own up to a regular social setting where a predominant faith hangs over you like a Tyrant, watching and judging your moves. Where morality is enforced with literal inquisitors that are respected and numerous as the police and this is an open and heavily populated society that will just let your torture or execution happen because this is the law. Stop rehashing the same cults and just do something more with fear of zealots.

Dishonored did this really well imo, since the Abbey were being used by High Overseer Campbell as another arm to cow people during the big upheaval trying to happen in the first game.

"The Abbey of the Everyman, or simply the Abbey, is a religious order in the world of the Dishonored franchise, spread and enforced by Overseers and headed by the High Overseer. Under the Lord Regent Hiram Burrows, the Overseers of the Abbey are granted the full authority of a civilian police force. The Abbey follows a strict set of doctrines known as the Seven Strictures, which dictate how followers of the Abbey should conduct themselves. Citizens are encouraged to place all their devotion and faith in the institution of the Abbey, particularly the High Overseer. Thus, the Abbey is generally regarded as a spiritual watchdog. The Abbey permits no other religions and opposes all acts of magic and witchcraft, in addition condemning those who diverge from the Abbey's ways. As the Outsider is the source of all magic in the world, the Abbey disavows him and actively combats his temptation of mortals. The Abbey practices the burning of witches and heretics even in the industrialized age, as well as the destruction of supernatural objects, such as runes and bone charms."

Fanatical masked men patrolling the city, who have the actual law on their side to bring you in for suspicion of aiding or worshiping the Outsider, pretty much playing another part to keep people quiet and under the heel of the big guys that had the empress killed.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Outlast II is literally a step backwards and proves that all the rape stuff in the Outlast 1 dlc wasn't a commentary like people kinda wanted to pretend and they're actually just not good at writing villains so they just make them rape people so you know they're evil.

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, if you're going to do weird things with dicks than just make them like open up with sharp teeth and they talk to you sometimes before they fall off and just sort of slither around to eat like lampreys and throw up smaller seamen like monsters with humanish heads and either a single whip like tail or like bacteria-esque legs. There's so much worse you can do than just castration. Borrow from Parasite and make the player dread losing control over their own character. H.R. GIGER this poo poo up man, at least he knew how to get creative with dick creatures.

If you haven't seen the jimmyscreamerclauz short "Affection" go look it up right now because it absolutely does some HR Giger poo poo to a guys dick.

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 27, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Has it already been discussed in this thread that Creative Assembly's next game might be Alien: Isolation 2?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
outlast 2 sounds really bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Has it already been discussed in this thread that Creative Assembly's next game might be Alien: Isolation 2?

I really hope so, they nailed that game in so many ways.

Tired Moritz posted:

outlast 2 sounds really bad lol

While it is edgy as gently caress, it really does get the blood pumping in it's chases, which if you're looking for that kinda thing it does do well.

But yeah, so loving edgy. Much like Agony, which has been discussed above, it's trying so hard to be shocking an edgy that it just comes across as quaint and mundane because of oversaturation.