Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Lurdiak posted:

You know Marvel doesn't have the rights to him anymore, right?

Right. IDW owns the printing rights, Hasbro and Paramount the film rights. Marvel has been retroactively purging him from reprints where he has crossover appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

You know Marvel doesn't have the rights to him anymore, right?

They got Spider-Man back, they'll get the X-Men back, eventually they'll even get the Fantastic Four back. All of which will have just been test cases for the most important IP of them all, Rom: Spaceknight!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i liked luke cage a lot even if it was pretty dumb at times. the music really helped. the fight against diamond back was stupid as gently caress though. any punch to the head would have snapped his neck

shades should have just shot him through the mouth hole

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Jerusalem posted:

They got Spider-Man back, they'll get the X-Men back, eventually they'll even get the Fantastic Four back. All of which will have just been test cases for the most important IP of them all, Rom: Spaceknight!

maybe, maybe they'll get fantastic four back, but i don't think fox will let the x-men go even if it kills them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fox: So long as we've got Bryan Singer willing to make X-Men films, we'll be fine!
Bryan Singer makes X-Men: Apocalypse
Fox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol70cBLNd8

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really hope they get the Fantastic 4 back, mostly because I think a Silver Surfer movie would be rad. Not a movie featuring him as an antagonist, like Rise of the Silver Surfer - a movie about him. Him traversing space and getting in to an adventure of some kind while showing off space.

Really I just want more galactic movie (or TV/Netflix) Marvel. It's sad they pissed away the Nova Corp in Guardians and they'll likely never make a Nova movie. Quasar, Adam Strange, Beta Ray Bill (yea, I doubt it too) or whoever could still be cool though. I hope Captain Marvel pushes that direction too - the apparent inclusion of alien origins certainly suggests it will.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I'm 9 episodes in. Does Diamondback ever get better?
Not particularly, no. There's nothing profound coming up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jose posted:

i liked luke cage a lot even if it was pretty dumb at times. the music really helped. the fight against diamond back was stupid as gently caress though. any punch to the head would have snapped his neck

shades should have just shot him through the mouth hole

it didn't help that the costume was ultra-low budget and seemed to have been purchased from a thrift store rather than a high-tech weapons manufacturer.

It reminded me of Deathlok from Agents of Shield season 1:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gyges posted:

Like you don't already have that tat.

If only.

I'm rooting for MODOK to appear, just to see how in the hell they justify a giant murder head.

Also, if Rom the Spaceknight ever appears, I'll get MODOK tattooed on my rear end.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good show. Went from extremely alright in the first half (dialogue is unpolished, plot unsurprising, storytelling extremely conventional) to extremely my poo poo in the second half.

Diamondback was played by an actor who's popped up in a lot of things, and I was really happy to see him unleashed. The thematic weight really grew in the second half, and Luke's turn into folk hero was a really satisfactory and well earned one. There were no dumb characters in the second half doing things just for the sake of plot, the actors were all incredibly engaging (loving Misty Knight, right? And shades, and Luke Cage too).

Still think JJ is the better show for what it was trying to do, but as an action show with characters you actually like? Luke Cage was great.

EDIT: My hopes for S2 is a further turn from the conventional, and leaning into what is weird and interesting about being in the Marvel Universe. Team-ups, battle royales, robots? Why not. This is the reason why ep 10 was my favorite by the way. Abalone sea shells and a vat of boiling acid and an entire episode centered around a surgery? Why not?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 9, 2016

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Serf posted:

If only.

I'm rooting for MODOK to appear, just to see how in the hell they justify a giant murder head.

Also, if Rom the Spaceknight ever appears, I'll get MODOK tattooed on my rear end.

is this a :toxx:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So for season 2 (or Defenders, whichever comes first), Claire is going to talk Matt into representing Luke in court and getting him out of Seagate, I take it? Since Bobby found the envelope at the end...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

So for season 2 (or Defenders, whichever comes first), Claire is going to talk Matt into representing Luke in court and getting him out of Seagate, I take it? Since Bobby found the envelope at the end...

Well, she did say that she knew a really good lawyer, and that she'd call him as Luke was leaving, and he said, "OK", so yeah, Matt Foggy's gonna get him out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Well, she did say that she knew a really good lawyer, and that she'd call him as Luke was leaving, and he said, "OK", so yeah, Matt Foggy's gonna get him out.

Ah, I missed that part. Glad they made it more explicit.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So, at NYCC they revealed that the villain of The Defenders is going to be played by Sigourney Weaver.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Senerio posted:

So, at NYCC they revealed that the villain of The Defenders is going to be played by Sigourney Weaver.

Also the character she's playing is called Sigourney Weaver.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh, so she's reprising the role from Finding Dory? I didn't know that part.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kheldarn posted:

Hogarth. Matt is by most indications not actually a very good lawyer in this series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy balls everything after Cottonmouth's death is terrible. :psyduck: It's literally like two different shows.

Who thought it was a good idea, in 2016, to have a black villain engineer and use police brutality against black people to manipulate the public for nefarious purposes?

And if all of your characters are telling the villains how dumb and transparent their plans are every other scene, come up with better plans. Also the plot is Spectre.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Hogarth. Matt is by most indications not actually a very good lawyer in this series.

Season 2 Daredevil just showcased what a lovely lawyer/friend/human being Murdock is.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

Holy balls everything after Cottonmouth's death is terrible. :psyduck: It's literally like two different shows.

Who thought it was a good idea, in 2016, to have a black villain engineer and use police brutality against black people to manipulate the public for nefarious purposes?

And if all of your characters are telling the villains how dumb and transparent their plans are every other scene, come up with better plans. Also the plot is Spectre.

No, The Spectre is DC

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

Season 2 Daredevil just showcased what a lovely lawyer/friend/human being Murdock is.

Actually, the show makes it very clear, both implicitly and via dialogue, that Matt is actually brilliant, and a lot better than Foggy, but his lawyering suffers because he is too distracted by his vigilanteism and doesn't have time to properly prepare for cases. I mean it's hard to do a good job as a courtroom lawyer when you're bedridden due to bruises and sprains from the previous night's fights.

Just because Foggy steps up and dominates in that one specific case doesn't mean much.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, the show makes it very clear, both implicitly and via dialogue, that Matt is actually brilliant, and a lot better than Foggy, but his lawyering suffers because he is too distracted by his vigilanteism and doesn't have time to properly prepare for cases. I mean it's hard to do a good job as a courtroom lawyer when you're bedridden due to bruises and sprains from the previous night's fights.

Just because Foggy steps up and dominates in that one specific case doesn't mean much.

If you are distracted and unprepared, you are a bad lawyer. I mean, that's such a nonsensical thing to say. "Oh yeah, he's a real good lawyer. I mean, he misses court dates and isn't prepared and prioritizes his personal life over the case, but he's really a really good lawyer"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you are distracted and unprepared, you are a bad lawyer. I mean, that's such a nonsensical thing to say. "Oh yeah, he's a real good lawyer. I mean, he misses court dates and isn't prepared and prioritizes his personal life over the case, but he's really a really good lawyer"

I'm talking about talent. We've seen what he's capable of when he actually focuses on lawyering.

Remember, the statement was:

Drifter posted:

He's acting irresponsibly in Season 2, but he's not a "lovely lawyer" by any means. Quite the contrary.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Well, I suppose you could say THEORETICALLY Matt's a good lawyer still, but since he stopped caring about it - or made it a non-priority -, he's actually pretty lovely since he doesn't show up to do any, you know, lawyering.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

Well, I suppose you could say THEORETICALLY Matt's a good lawyer still, but since he stopped caring about it - or made it a non-priority -, he's actually pretty lovely since he doesn't show up to do any, you know, lawyering.

Your original statement strongly implied that Matt is a bad lawyer, period. As in, he was never good, and Season 2 showcased that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Your original statement strongly implied that Matt is a bad lawyer, period. As in, he was never good, and Season 2 showcased that.

Having talent doesn't make you good at something if you're unable to execute that talent properly.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Let me put an end to this semantics argument.

Matt would be a good lawyer, because he has the talent, but being a good lawyer also (usually) requires not prioritizing beating people up over doing actual lawyer stuff. Therefore Matt is not a good lawyer, but would be if he was less Daredevil and more Matt.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, this is where the show really lost me. When Mariah told the assembled people at the rally, "We need to get weapons into the hands of the police so they can protect us!" and everyone cheered, I simply could not believe the writing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

I'm talking about talent. We've seen what he's capable of when he actually focuses on lawyering.

Remember, the statement was:

He's acting irresponsibly in Season 2, but he's not a "lovely lawyer" by any means. Quite the contrary.

What his lawyer stat is doesn't actually matter. If he abandons his clients to go fight ninjas, he's a lovely lawyer

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AndItsAllGone posted:

Yeah, this is where the show really lost me. When Mariah told the assembled people at the rally, "We need to get weapons into the hands of the police so they can protect us!" and everyone cheered, I simply could not believe the writing.

That whole line of reasoning was so, so dumb.

'The police aren't looking hard enough, but when they are looking they're doing so in such a way that's getting innocent people hurt, so we need to arm them with advanced weaponry that they aren't trained in and don't understand'.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That speech being a trainwreck seemed by design. It took place in somewhere where everyone was getting drunk so it was kind of the only way Mariah could whip people into supporting the half-baked idea Diamondback was tasking her with pushing. Once she got out from underneath Diamondback's thumb, she started thinking and acting smart.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bloodychill posted:

That speech being a trainwreck seemed by design. It took place in somewhere where everyone was getting drunk so it was kind of the only way Mariah could whip people into supporting the half-baked idea Diamondback was tasking her with pushing. Once she got out from underneath Diamondback's thumb, she started thinking and acting smart.

She was saying the same things during her press conference beforehand though, only without directly stating that weapons should be used. She was spouting utter nonsense.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Steve2911 posted:

She was saying the same things during her press conference beforehand though, only without directly stating that weapons should be used. She was spouting utter nonsense.

True. I guess I just don't find the idea of a political figure spouting nonsense that idiots buy into to be so far-fetched. And to be fair, she decided to quit politics near the end because she knew she had no political capital left and seemed ready to embrace her new position as the true successor to her aunt.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Technically, the plan was all Diamondback's and he was just forcing her to go along with it. It makes a little sense that her speech was a bit bullshitty and nonsensical, since she's mostly trying to wing it.

I agree it's very, very strange that any crowd would buy into it, though. Imagine being at an actual BLM rally and someone says cops just need better guns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Technically, the plan was all Diamondback's and he was just forcing her to go along with it. It makes a little sense that her speech was a bit bullshitty and nonsensical, since she's mostly trying to wing it.

I agree it's very, very strange that any crowd would buy into it, though. Imagine being at an actual BLM rally and someone says cops just need better guns.

Imagine being at a KKK rally and someone says maybe Tony Stark should build the minorities some armor.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Cythereal posted:

Does Claire even know Hogarth? It's not like Jessica would recommend her.

On the whole "who's the better lawyer" question: I assumed Foggy was better at legal procedure, but Matt is great at cross-examination because he has magic powers. There's that scene in S1 where Foggy tears into Marcy over the Cardenas tenancy case, and Hogarth indicates his approach to the Punisher case was impressive before Castle tanked it. In context to the show, I think you're supposed to assume Foggy's a crazy-good attorney.

And probably much better than Matt, outside of situations where Matt can superhumanly read and exploit people's emotions in the courtroom. Mounting a coherent case strategy and being able to cite precedent or target flaws in your opponents case are probably more important than Atticus Finching your way to a verdict. I'd choose Foggy. :colbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine being at a KKK rally and someone says maybe Tony Stark should build the minorities some armor.

It's not quite that contradictory, remember at Pops's funeral Cottonmouth's thinly-veiled "metahuman freaks are destroying our community" speech got a fair amount of support. Mariah didn't have to rally all of Harlem, just enough to give the idea a veneer of public approval until Cage was dealt with.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I thought Mariah's speech was the turning point for her character from "dirty politician who actually does want to do some good" to "criminal mastermind in the making". To me it echoed the scene in Daredevil S1 where Vanessa hires mercenaries to bust Fisk outta the police convoy and for the first time he actually becomes the Kingpin.

Also, I loved the shootout between Cottonmouth and Scarfe because it was so dumb. Scarfe thinking he can push Cottonmouth around because his bullshit worked in the past, while Cottonmouth's pride is wounded and his situation is desperate. Scarfe thinks Cottonmouth would never be crazy enough to shoot a cop, but in an effort to re-exert his alpha male crimelord position Cottonmouth does the dumbest possible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Maybe I missed something, but in the early part of the show there was all the angst about the missing gun deal money and how Mariah needed that specific money "NOW" and cottonmouth was promising her he would get it soon. It was 1 bag of money, about a million dollars or so. At that point didn't he still have all the backup cash in all his various safehouses? Why didn't he just give Mariah some of that whilst looking for the gun deal money?