Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Linx posted:

I could use some advice on upgrading my PSU - I've realised that my current one is getting on for almost 8 years old, it's always been faithful and I've never had a reason to doubt it, but I'd rather it didn't die and tank the rest of my components.

Looking to spend probably about 100 GBP, preferably modular but not a necessity. Not really sure what wattage I should be looking at, whatever is enough to run a GTX 1070 and i7 6700 (not overclocked). I've heard some horror stories about some of the Corsair lines so hopefully someone knows what I should be looking for

Corsair's RMx series is a thread favorite and it has a 10 year warranty. Amazon UK has the 550W for ~85GBP.

The other we recommend is the EVGA G2 or G3 (the G3 is newer and takes up less space), either of which have a 7 year warranty, I believe. All three are fully modular and 80 PLUS Gold, and are similarly priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Corsair's RMx series is a thread favorite and it has a 10 year warranty. Amazon UK has the 550W for ~85GBP.

The other we recommend is the EVGA G2 or G3 (the G3 is newer and takes up less space), either of which have a 7 year warranty, I believe. All three are fully modular and 80 PLUS Gold, and are similarly priced.

Thanks for this! The RMx was one of the models I was looking at, wanted to make sure I didn't get the "bad" one (CM series?).

Do you think 550W is enough to run the hardware I have? I've always shot for 700W but I've never really thought about it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Linx posted:

Thanks for this! The RMx was one of the models I was looking at, wanted to make sure I didn't get the "bad" one (CM series?).

Do you think 550W is enough to run the hardware I have? I've always shot for 700W but I've never really thought about it

When in doubt, buy up to the limit you're willing to comfortably spend. 650W can't be appreciably more expensive, and PSUs do lose efficiency over time.

(550W will be fine, though)

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When in doubt, buy up to the limit you're willing to comfortably spend. 650W can't be appreciably more expensive, and PSUs do lose efficiency over time.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 650 was only £4 more so I figured it couldn't hurt, thanks again!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Newegg has a Power Supply calculator, I usually use that and then add 50-100 watts over what it says I need.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This is a typical efficiency curve:

NOTE THE TRUNCATED Y AXIS

Now whilst there isn't a great difference in actual performance, leading to only small losses and gains in your electricity $/£, at a point where it's dipping after it's peak it is effectively struggling to operate as well as it can.
Running a PSU in that region is going to make it more likely you have unclean delivery of power, lifespan, and more heat. It'll also be noisier.

Now all the above is marginal, but when an extra 150w will often be $10, it's usually good to buy into it unless doing so would make you have more than double the capacity or something. 50-75% capacity under peak load is pretty nice and there's little to be gained in trying to get one "just large enough".

Also several GPU generations in the past have gotten performance over the previous one by massively increasing power consumed, so you'd be more likely to be pushing a PSU too hard if an upgrade adds 50w or something.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What country are you in? - Canada
What are you using the system for? - painting/illustration and some gaming, maybe some streaming and recording of both illustrating and games.
Budget - 818.86 in canadian amazon gift credit(596.45 usd) I cannot suppliment this amount with real cash atm.
Software - photoshop and clipstudio mainly, other graphic programs some of the time.
Gaming/monitors - currently 2 1080p monitors, one of which is a wacom cintiq, the other I believe is 60hz. I would like my games to run fast with the shiniest graphics, generally 60 fps, but as long as it's playable and pretty Im happy. I can make sacrifices.

cpu - ryzen 5 1400 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XKWT8J4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1HU0UETW2PFPN&psc=1 $219.99
cooler - stock
motherboard - MSI B350M GAMING PRO https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06X3Y7KB5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 $106.99
memory - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4 2400 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0198QDLXO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 $67 (I plan on adding another 8 gb in the very near future)
storage - a new samsung 256 evo I already have and my current storage harddrive.
videocard - MSI RX 570 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06Y144RLK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $239.99
case - Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ZPWOA6I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 $29.99
psu - EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H33SFJU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 $53.99

total price with shipping and tax comes out to 27 cents under my budget.

Alternatively I can swap out the cpu and motherboard for

INTEL® PENTIUM® Processor G4560 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NCE8T92/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1HU0UETW2PFPN $ 84.99
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel B250 Micro ATX https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N2WG23X/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB $ 101.99

which leaves me with 158.68 more to play with. The cheapest i5 puts it over-budget and the cheapest i3 is almost 70 dollars more than the pentium which doesnt seem worth it.

So my question what is better here in the long run? Both would meet my needs, but I wouldnt mind the ability to upgrade rather than buy a whole new system in the future. Also I guess I should ask if any of the other parts are no go, or if the gpu is overkill. Thoughts?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Speaking of PSUs, for those in the US, Newegg has the 650W G3 for $69.99 after rebate for the next two days: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...em-_-17-438-094

And so is the RMx 550W: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...em-_-17-139-144

Reminder that the G3 is warrantied for seven years to the RMx's ten.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 15, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Macksy posted:

lotsa words
How "atm" is this for?

That's a really tight budget to do what you want from it - if you would have more cash on hand in the future, going for the pentium and upgrading the CPU later would be better.
If your budget isn't going to realistically get much higher, build around the Ryzen 5 as the pentium will struggle with all the video.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 15, 2017

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't use the Corsair CXM with that equipment. The Corsair RMx 550W and EVGA G2 and/or G3 are all within a few quid of each other, and the RMx 550W comes with a ten year warranty. All three are also fully-modular, not semi.

Other than that, looks solid.

Thank you very much, went for most of it with your changes. Waiting till next pay for the 1080.

Are there any good cases including fans that people can recommend for ~£50?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've been using an old 6670 since selling my 1070 off and I'd like move back up to something that doesn't struggle to play even old games when I feel like it. I haven't been playing anything much so looking at very cheap GPUs.

I got just over $50 in Amazon credit so this RX 460 comes out to $35.
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Rad...ords=rx+460+2gb

Thoughts? I know literally anything in the last 4 years would be better.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's okay for a "i need to render anything the least bit strenuous" card, while not efficient price/performance wise it is the cheapest card that will play everything without looking at the used market

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I've been using an old 6670 since selling my 1070 off and I'd like move back up to something that doesn't struggle to play even old games when I feel like it. I haven't been playing anything much so looking at very cheap GPUs.

I got just over $50 in Amazon credit so this RX 460 comes out to $35.
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Rad...ords=rx+460+2gb

Thoughts? I know literally anything in the last 4 years would be better.

It's very low end, but it's ok. The 4Gb is worth the $10 if you want to go near newer games.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Olewithmilk posted:

Thank you very much, went for most of it with your changes. Waiting till next pay for the 1080.

Are there any good cases including fans that people can recommend for ~£50?

If you're a Prime member (bear in mind you can do a trial membership free for 30 days >.>): https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phone-Cases-Covers/Corsair-9011017-Carbide-Windowed-Tower-Performance-Computer/B008B6ONXA

If not: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011105-WW-Windowed-Mid-Tower-Performance/dp/B01M35FI12

I'm just assuming you're looking for standard ATX. I'm sure there are other cases out there, I've just always found Corsair's easy to work with.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 16, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The 270r is the newer case with some of the better "mod cons" - there's a basement at the bottom to hide the PSU under and mount an SSD onto, and it doesn't have the almost always redundant drive cage, opting instead for the rear mounting.

If the price difference isn't too great it is the nicer of the two.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah, agreed on the 270R. The 300R is nice and I just built in it 3 years ago, but the 270R looks much nicer.

just a note, the 270R looks to be a mini ATX case that can also support full ATX boards. It's shorter than the 300R by a few inches, so it may be a little tighter to work with than the 300R assuming you stay with the full ATX mainboard.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 16, 2017

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Someone generated this list for me about a year ago. First time budget builder doing light gaming and some basic GIS work. Anything major changed in the last year?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B150M Pro4V Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Sandisk - X400 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($106.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($48.47 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Total: $343.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-16 11:52 EDT-0400

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I recently bought a Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme, but it can't fit in my case (a BitFenix Neos), so I'm looking for a new case that can fit extra long graphics cards.

Right now I'm looking at a BitFenix Nova and that might do the trick, but if there are other cases that can help me out (and if they're cheap too), that would be great.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lackmaster posted:

Someone generated this list for me about a year ago. First time budget builder doing light gaming and some basic GIS work. Anything major changed in the last year?

Do you have a budget and already own a GPU?

Junior Jr. posted:

I recently bought a Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme, but it can't fit in my case (a BitFenix Neos), so I'm looking for a new case that can fit extra long graphics cards.

Right now I'm looking at a BitFenix Nova and that might do the trick, but if there are other cases that can help me out (and if they're cheap too), that would be great.

There's a discussion a few posts up about a couple of decent options from Corsair. Both will look more "premium" than that very budget BitFenix if that is at all important to you.
Otherwise, the specs seem to say it'll fit the 1080Ti.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 16, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Khablam posted:

There's a discussion a few posts up about a couple of decent options from Corsair. Both will look more "premium" than that very budget BitFenix if that is at all important to you.
Otherwise, the specs seem to say it'll fit the 1080Ti.

Just checked out the 300R and hell yeah this looks good for me. Just bought it now, hopefully it works out.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Lackmaster posted:

Depending on what you are going to be GISing, you may want to consider more memory (for raster processing or data ETL). I would also add a storage HDD.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, go for a B250 board. Shouldn't be more than $5-10 extra.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Not sure what GISing is, but if he's getting a 200 series mobo it might be worth dropping to a g4560 rather than the i5?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Captain Hair posted:

Not sure what GISing is, but if he's getting a 200 series mobo it might be worth dropping to a g4560 rather than the i5?

Geographic Information System(s). It involves a lot of data crunching, and it'd probably be a good idea to stick with the i5 since cores > threads.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

stump collector posted:

Yeah, agreed on the 270R. The 300R is nice and I just built in it 3 years ago, but the 270R looks much nicer.

just a note, the 270R looks to be a mini ATX case that can also support full ATX boards. It's shorter than the 300R by a few inches, so it may be a little tighter to work with than the 300R assuming you stay with the full ATX mainboard.

This is spot on, I have a 270R and a full ATX board. The little "basement" for the PSU makes it borderline impossible to plug things into the bottom of the board. I actually took out the mounting screws and pulled the board out to get those cables plugged in.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Secondary computer, my main is a Mac and I just want to play the Gwent game and maybe some older games. I guess it would be a plus if it would be upgradeable for something like the new Dragon Age in a couple of years, but that's just a bonus.
What's your budget? Would love to keep it under $600, and cheaper is better. I'll also be buying a monitor and all, and will probably try to get those cheaply as well.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Don't have one picked out yet.

I'm a Mac user and I'm tired of borrowing my husband's laptop when I want to play the occasional PC game. I do most of my gaming on the PS4 and don't see myself switching, so I don't think I need anything too intensive. I haven't bought a PC in 15 years, so I don't know what I'm looking for, really. I'm... not confident about my ability to build something seeing as I can't even remember the last time I cracked a computer open, so recommendations for prebuilt computers are also welcome, or sites that would be good to check.

Basically I want to know what I can get away with and run the game decently. Their recommendations are:

Processor: Intel Core i3 6100 | AMD FX-6300
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 | AMD Radeon R7 265

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

squidtarts posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Secondary computer, my main is a Mac and I just want to play the Gwent game and maybe some older games. I guess it would be a plus if it would be upgradeable for something like the new Dragon Age in a couple of years, but that's just a bonus.
What's your budget? Would love to keep it under $600, and cheaper is better. I'll also be buying a monitor and all, and will probably try to get those cheaply as well.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Don't have one picked out yet.

I'm a Mac user and I'm tired of borrowing my husband's laptop when I want to play the occasional PC game. I do most of my gaming on the PS4 and don't see myself switching, so I don't think I need anything too intensive. I haven't bought a PC in 15 years, so I don't know what I'm looking for, really. I'm... not confident about my ability to build something seeing as I can't even remember the last time I cracked a computer open, so recommendations for prebuilt computers are also welcome, or sites that would be good to check.

Basically I want to know what I can get away with and run the game decently. Their recommendations are:

Processor: Intel Core i3 6100 | AMD FX-6300
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 | AMD Radeon R7 265

A few steps outside your $600 price range, but: http://www.microcenter.com/product/474127/G221_Desktop_Computer

If you've got a Micro Center nearby it might be worth it simply for easy carry-in service if necessary. Right now they don't seem to be selling them via their web store if you're not, but they do on occasion.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 17, 2017

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you're a Prime member (bear in mind you can do a trial membership free for 30 days >.>): https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Mobile-Phone-Cases-Covers/Corsair-9011017-Carbide-Windowed-Tower-Performance-Computer/B008B6ONXA

If not: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011105-WW-Windowed-Mid-Tower-Performance/dp/B01M35FI12

I'm just assuming you're looking for standard ATX. I'm sure there are other cases out there, I've just always found Corsair's easy to work with.

Cheers again, went with the 300R. They seem to be out of stock on Amazon's page but I noticed it is from scan.co.uk and it's still available there for the same price (or cheaper if you don't want next day delivery, I think). Here's the link if interested:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-300r-black-mid-tower-gaming-case-side-window-usb-30-w-o-psu

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What is the Ncase M1 of micro-atx cases? A small footprint and total volume, but still large enough to hold 2 full size hard drives and a small form factor power supply.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So im getting around to upgrading my 2500k to a 2700k I got from another goon. Im on an asus P8P67 (REV 3.1) that I bought along with the 2500k and havent done any bios updates on.

Do I need to update the bios so that the 2700k is recognized by the mobo? I should probably update the bios anyways but I dont want to do any work I dont have to.

Is there a list of supported CPUs for different bios versions?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 18, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

My EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid fan seems to be locked at 56% for some reason and I can't adjust it with MSI Afterburner. Am I missing something?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Fauxtool posted:

So im getting around to upgrading my 2500k to a 2700k I got from another goon. Im on an asus P8P67 (REV 3.1) that I bought along with the 2500k and havent done any bios updates on.

Do I need to update the bios so that the 2700k is recognized by the mobo? I should probably update the bios anyways but I dont want to do any work I dont have to.

Is there a list of supported CPUs for different bios versions?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_REV_31/HelpDesk_CPU/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Virtue posted:

My EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid fan seems to be locked at 56% for some reason and I can't adjust it with MSI Afterburner. Am I missing something?

Settings --> Fan tab --> Check "Enable user defined software automatic fan control"

Set the curve as applicable.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, goons. I really can't figure out a good place to ask this question. It doesn't deserve its own thread, I can't find an arcade cabinet retro games thread (there are some retro-games threads, but it doesn't look like the right place to ask this) and this is kinda sorta like building a PC?

So, there isn't much to say. Basically, a fellow is offering me an almost-built arcade cabinet with the specs below for about $435 bucks and I'm wondering if 1) this is a good deal (looking on the Internet, I really can't find anything selling less than a thousand dollars, which makes this deal seem really good or really dubious) and 2) this system is powerful enough to do what I want it to do.

The specs: 1.2 GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU802.11n Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.1 Bluetooth Low Energy 1 GB RAM. It also has four USB ports, ethernet, HDMI, and a 23 inch television inside the thing. It runs Raspberry Pi. It needs just a few things hooked up; dude says YouTube tutorials are fine for this, since all the parts are already here and it doesn't require any soldering or whatever. I pretty much just want to use it to play arcade games from the 80s through the 00s...early 00s, anyway. Can this sucker do it? Is this a good deal?

I hope I am not angering anyone by posting a dumb post in the wrong thread. But I looked!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
$35 of the asking price is for the Raspberry Pi 3. The rest of the price is for the cabinet, controllers, tv, paint, labor, decals, blah blah blah.

The Raspberry Pi 3 does ok for game emulation, but it really depends on what games you plan on running as emulation is complicated. The Pi thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084 can probably help you out, this page in particular https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084&pagenumber=107&perpage=40#post460033505 (a year old though). You could also search the internet for "raspberry pi 3 (game) mame emulation" to see if it'll work/run ok.

The retro game thread can probably help you figure out if the cabinet is worth $400.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Ah, that's great, thanks. Man, this poo poo is complicated...go back to 1994 and my ten year-old self can do wonders on a Tandy 386, but somewhere between then and now I got computer dumb.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

credburn posted:

Hey, goons. I really can't figure out a good place to ask this question. It doesn't deserve its own thread, I can't find an arcade cabinet retro games thread (there are some retro-games threads, but it doesn't look like the right place to ask this) and this is kinda sorta like building a PC?

So, there isn't much to say. Basically, a fellow is offering me an almost-built arcade cabinet with the specs below for about $435 bucks and I'm wondering if 1) this is a good deal (looking on the Internet, I really can't find anything selling less than a thousand dollars, which makes this deal seem really good or really dubious) and 2) this system is powerful enough to do what I want it to do.

The specs: 1.2 GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU802.11n Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.1 Bluetooth Low Energy 1 GB RAM. It also has four USB ports, ethernet, HDMI, and a 23 inch television inside the thing. It runs Raspberry Pi. It needs just a few things hooked up; dude says YouTube tutorials are fine for this, since all the parts are already here and it doesn't require any soldering or whatever. I pretty much just want to use it to play arcade games from the 80s through the 00s...early 00s, anyway. Can this sucker do it? Is this a good deal?

I hope I am not angering anyone by posting a dumb post in the wrong thread. But I looked!

It's not worth that much. A raspberry pi is like $35, a 23 inch LCD monitor is around $100, joystick parts are like $60, and the wood to build the cabinet about $50. That's $245. I built a pi3 based arcade machine for my office break room and it's a fun project to build. No way I would have paid almost $200 more to have someone build it for me.

It will play games from the beginning of the arcades up until about 1993, then it will struggle to emulate anything newer. Come over to the retro games thread and we will set you straight.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you end up with a pi 2 it will handle almost any NES game but it struggles heavily with most SNES titles.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
I am thinking about upgrading my many years old gaming PC, but no idea where to start other than buying a new one.

I got an i5-750, ATI 6970, 8 GB of ram. It's mainly for new aaa games like BF1, WW2 COD, etc.

I understand I would need new MOBO if I want to upgrade the CPU. I would prefer to go with the most economical route, may be like 500 pounds of budget.

my question is, would I better off just buying a completely new one and make this one a living room media PC or is there still life in this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Altran posted:

I am thinking about upgrading my many years old gaming PC, but no idea where to start other than buying a new one.

I got an i5-750, ATI 6970, 8 GB of ram. It's mainly for new aaa games like BF1, WW2 COD, etc.

I understand I would need new MOBO if I want to upgrade the CPU. I would prefer to go with the most economical route, may be like 500 pounds of budget.

my question is, would I better off just buying a completely new one and make this one a living room media PC or is there still life in this one?

You'll have to re-build, and that's a tight budget for modern AAA games.
You can do it for just slightly more than you're asking and expect a good experience, and built to upgrade:

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£51.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£105.39 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£57.60 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£85.97 @ BT Shop)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card (£135.67 @ BT Shop)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.53 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.50 @ Aria PC)
Total: £538.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-18 17:23 BST+0100

The pentium will work fine for now, as will the 1050 Ti and 8gb.
Buy just 1x8Gb and match it with an identical stick when you eventually conclude you need 16Gb and dual channel it.
The cpu can be sold/upgraded later, the z270 will give you a wide range of options when you do, including overclocking.

I've seen a video of a 1050Ti / G4560 playing BF1 near ultra settings, so I assume that's legit and it'll work fine.
Case is a place-holder to taste and if you want a windowed case or such, you can pay a bit extra and get a modular PSU.