Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for gently caress's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

So apparently you get your DNA stored forever if you get tested for COVID-19.
I mean, the same is true if you get cancer.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

I mean, the same is true if you get cancer.

And pretty much anything else that results in a usable tissue sample - including being born as mentioned previously. DNA and tissue samples (for future improved sequencing technology) have been stored for decades.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I guess I'm just gonna have to settle for being bi instead of being gay and doing crimes. :shrug:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SplitSoul posted:

It's supposedly for SSI to do research, but they're not adequately informing people. They keep the samples up to ten years after you die.

They've been taking DNA samples from newborns since 1982:

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKU-registeret

Once more they were inadequately informing people about the ability to have the samples destroyed. Ten years ago they proposed turning it into a regular DNA registry for citizens. Also somehow 86,000 people's DNA ended up in the U.S.

There is such a registry in Sweden as well, with the same name even, for all citizens born after 1975, but access to it is very tightly regulated, even for research. Police access to it is theoretically possible but after a bit of a scandal following the assassination of minister for foreign affairs Anna Lindh in 2003 where a staff member was "more accommodating towards police and prosecution than necessitated by law", a court decision has been required for police access. No such court decision has ever been granted though, and the Supreme Court denied one such petition as recently as 2018 on the grounds that the general public's trust in the registry (that it would be used as originally intended) was more important to society than this one crime. It's also been proposed at least twice to close off the possibility of using medical DNA registries to the judicial system entirely but nothing has happened on that front so far. It's of limited value for that sort of thing anyway since it's not searchable, you need to know who you're looking for in the first place to find anything.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 2, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/overdodligheten-pa-aldreboenden-i-fem-grafer

Seems like there is no difference between private and communal elderly care. They are equally bad apparently.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cardiac posted:

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/overdodligheten-pa-aldreboenden-i-fem-grafer

Seems like there is no difference between private and communal elderly care. They are equally bad apparently.

no great surprise - if the issue is that staff is working microscopic contracts at different care homes, there's no clear reason why municipal homes should be better with this. introducing private sector leadership in the public sector has been a priority for years, after all

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Eh. Conscripts, militias and citizen levies have a much better track record against professionals than is often imagined in popular culture. Levying military service from the mass of your citizenry is typically only a thing that happened in societies where the people in some way participated in government (by voting or otherwise) in any case.

It was also typically tied to wealth, especially owning property, and was dependent on there being a large class of small property owners to draw from. The Roman legions transforming from a citizen levy drawn mostly from small farmers was not done in the name of military efficiency but because that manpower pool of free, small-time landowners was dwindling away, so Roman legions gradually evolved to enlist volunteers (essentially for life, 20 years) from non-propertied citizens with equipment provided at the expense of local notables (often the general himself, who in addition to now having provided the equipment and training of the soldiers, often also became the person responsible for ensuring they got their wages and end of service benefits, so soldiers evolve to become the clients of their generals).

Yeah like you still have the professional soldiers. The conscripts are just freebies. Just make sure they don't handle advanced or expensive equipment because that often breaks around conscripts.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

no great surprise - if the issue is that staff is working microscopic contracts at different care homes, there's no clear reason why municipal homes should be better with this. introducing private sector leadership in the public sector has been a priority for years, after all

Yeah, that does seem to correlate. No idea about how statistically sound it is but still.

https://twitter.com/tobias______1/status/1267738396836933635

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Welp

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/qs/sveriges-pisa-framgang-bygger-pa-falska-siffror/

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Even when admitting that Sweden should and could have done more to combat COVID-19, Tegnell manages to make it sound like they really couldn't have, and maybe it was bad to prevent people dying, because it made it more difficult to evaluate how effective individual measures are. You know, something that is clearly more important than what those measures are meant to accomplish: Preventing people from dying.

Edit: gently caress, maybe its just the Danish schadenfreude coverage of the thing coloring my view of him, but he comes of as insufferably smug, even while being forced to admit to failure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Azram Legion posted:

Even when admitting that Sweden should and could have done more to combat COVID-19, Tegnell manages to make it sound like they really couldn't have, and maybe it was bad to prevent people dying, because it made it more difficult to evaluate how effective individual measures are. You know, something that is clearly more important than what those measures are meant to accomplish: Preventing people from dying.

Edit: gently caress, maybe its just the Danish schadenfreude coverage of the thing coloring my view of him, but he comes of as insufferably smug, even while being forced to admit to failure.

It's almost easier to believe that he's actively malicious.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Azram Legion posted:

Admitting failure as a leading public official should be lauded. For all his stubborn adherence to a flawed strategy, he is capable of admitting mistakes and accepting new knowledge. That's good. The flaw is not with Tegnell, but with politicians who did not interfere. This was an mostly unknown disease - and still is to a large degree. He acted according to how the flu would have been handled, I think this was wrong, but it wasn't just malicious incompetence. Politicians should have questioned how the health authorities can claim to base actions on evidence when we didn't have any evidence on COVID-19.

That's what the Danish government did - they forced the officials to adopt a stance of extreme caution and abandon the usual utilitarian proportionality principle (where the cost for society must be in proportion the beneficial public and personal health benefits gained). I know Sweden has a more autonomous role for the health authorities - so did the Denmark, but parliament passed a low shifting power to the government when it comes to final call on measure to take. That was a good idea. In hindsight some of the measures had poor effect and some of these even had a high cost. But others had a massive effect.

Tegnell is an elected official - he's a "fagperson", not sure what the proper english term would be. Politicians must have the guts to take charge in a crisis - which is hard because the price of leading poorly is political annihilation and being relegated to the historical hall of shame. For all Mette Frederiksen's flaws and distasteful tendency towards authoritarianism, in this case it was a good thing. She overruled the health authorities who were being flu bros and utilitarian far beyond what's reasonable or acceptable to the general public. The Swedish populace taking such a harsh strategy in stride really convinced me that it's a far more utilitarian culture than I thought. I don't think Swedes were murderous in their strategy - the opposite is the case, it was misunderstood altruism and a desire to seek the greater good.

I deeply disagree with Tegnell, but he's been completely transparent right from the start. Politicians could have said from day one that they wanted a science and evidence based strategy erring on the side of caution and accepting a certain degree of economic cost to accomplish this. I am sure he would have complied and helped execute a more cautious strategy. But when you ask a medical bureaucrat to take charge, odds are they will act exclusively based on prior evidence, which usually means the opposite of caution.

Habermas has some interesting observations on COVID-19: https://www.fr.de/kultur/gesellschaft/juergen-habermas-coronavirus-krise-covid19-interview-13642491.html

quote:

So viel Wissen über unser Nichtwissen gab es noch nie

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Verkar som vi har kommit till steg 4 på Yes Ministers krishanteringsstrategi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXIetP5iak

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay so today a few thousand people gathered at Stockholm central plaza to demonstrate against police violence, guess what happened next :sweden:

https://twitter.com/ickemuzungu/status/1268234339340496903

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Odla ditt snuthat.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

MiddleOne posted:

Okay so today a few thousand people gathered at Stockholm central plaza to demonstrate against police violence, guess what happened next :sweden:

lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Life really is a comedy.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

gently caress cops.

PederP posted:

he's a "fagperson", not sure what the proper english term would be.

Not, uh, not that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the whole point of pushing tegnell to the fore was so the political leadership could keep its hands clean if this strategy didn't work out

i'm pretty sure that the norwegian government was planning on doing something similar with camilla stoltenberg, but their hands got forced by municipalities just closing poo poo on their own

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I have talked to very few people IRL here in Stockholm who have any significant issues with the level of measures/restrictions right now or earlier. I'm fine with them too. They can stay like this all summer so thats fine. I'll grant Tegnell that the strategy still makes sense in that regard.

He can't communicate for poo poo tho. And everything should have happened way faster and there was no reason to be so cavalier as he was at the start. The Äldrevård failure is probably beyond that poor fucker though.

e: Oh and the olds love him. My stepdad worked for Tegnell at some antediluvian point in time and he hated his guts then. Now suddenly he loves the guy lol.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 3, 2020

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Cant social-distance with a truncheon up your rear end

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

MiddleOne posted:

En historia lika gammal som tiden

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Missedlt sthlm train ffs

E: last train

Gedt fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 3, 2020

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Oh hey. Looks like Malmö is on tomorrow

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/viktorbk/status/1268305204874797059?s=21

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

PederP posted:

- Snipped

I largely agree with your points on where the responsibility ultimately lies. The poo poo should always roll up the hill, and that means to the politicians in this case. My reaction is essentially aesthetic and emotional: The man went from doing smartass, smug poo poo like inviting foreign journalists to buffet lunches while the rest of the world was preparing to shut down, to now doing a "I guess I was wrong, but I couldn't really have been right (because who could have known?!?), and letting thousands of people die was actually smarter anyway". You can say that he should be lauded for admitting that he could have prevented thousands of deaths, but personally I would be a lot more receptive to that if it wasn't packaged in bullshit excuses and rationalizations. Maybe my standards are just impossibly high here, I don't know.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
like yeah, acab is an universal truth everywhere, but can we please stop copy-pasting the discourse directly from what passes for politics in that failed state oligarchy over there?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Right wing farthuffers on Twitter are upset that the police didn't use more violence against protesters and calling for the police who kneeled with protesters to be fired. :rolleyes:

I wasn't there myself, but it seems there was a bit of a scuffle at T-centralen but fairly calm otherwise?

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Not as though a coupla people each year die in Swedish jails/polisförvar or anything

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

TheFluff posted:

like yeah, acab is an universal truth everywhere, but can we please stop copy-pasting the discourse directly from what passes for politics in that failed state oligarchy over there?

No.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TheFluff posted:

You need to learn from that failed states oligarchy lest you repeat its failures. If it can happen there, it can happen here. Sweden has an opportunity to try and sidestep some of the insane hosed poo poo going on and for my mental well being, it’d be nice to do so.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pretty much yeah.
The very relevant issues that the US is currently protesting about ie endemic racism and police brutality can not be simply translated to Sweden.
I guess this is the same crowd that tried importing the yellow vests 1-2 years ago and we all know how that went.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Shut up nils

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

I guess this is the same crowd that tried importing the yellow vests 1-2 years ago and we all know how that went.

:lol:

No it is not.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Pretty much yeah.
The very relevant issues that the US is currently protesting about ie endemic racism and police brutality can not be simply translated to Sweden.

Endemic racism and police brutality can be translated to Sweden, holy poo poo are you dense? Sure, not the exact same structure, not the exact same types of racism but dude, what the gently caress?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Pretty much yeah.

Swedish cops created an illegal secret archive over romani people, but that doesn't mean that they're racist.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Far-right extremists in the German Bundeswehr made death lists with names of prominent left wing politicians and media personalities, and had acquired body bags and quicklime. Oddly enough most of the evidence was "lost" by the police.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

most non-french yellow vest types were reactionary assholes, the people pushing anti-police stuff are mostly going to be liberally-oriented young city types it's a completely different situation

i wish we could have a protest against police racism, a very real phenomenon, without piggybacking off something related but separate from the yanks

ah well