Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/costeam2501/reel/C6nP1FUruf6/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was thinking about reflex mode today after I got into some close calls, and what that would look like to somebody with a different viewpoint. I wish there was a way to record that, like watching from a distance as three guys get an eye on Snake, but he just quick draws and pistol snipes them all from 100 feet away in a fraction of a second. It's gotta be wild to see.

I also took a few days off from the game while getting sucked into replaying Tears of the Kingdom, and it's pretty funny how quickly your brain gets trained for different mechanics. I went through that mission where you recover/destroy four walker gears, but the whole thing just had me reflexively wanting to free climb up the side of the outpost or the giant rock outcropping the camp is next to. I know you can get anywhere you need to in the game, I'm just tickled by the idea of Snake spidering his way straight up the side instead of finding all the traversable ledges.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1788091430793265405?s=46

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Excellent taste.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was thinking about reflex mode today after I got into some close calls, and what that would look like to somebody with a different viewpoint. I wish there was a way to record that, like watching from a distance as three guys get an eye on Snake, but he just quick draws and pistol snipes them all from 100 feet away in a fraction of a second. It's gotta be wild to see.

I also took a few days off from the game while getting sucked into replaying Tears of the Kingdom, and it's pretty funny how quickly your brain gets trained for different mechanics. I went through that mission where you recover/destroy four walker gears, but the whole thing just had me reflexively wanting to free climb up the side of the outpost or the giant rock outcropping the camp is next to. I know you can get anywhere you need to in the game, I'm just tickled by the idea of Snake spidering his way straight up the side instead of finding all the traversable ledges.

This happened to me when Warframe released its first open world area in 2017 after I'd been playing the hell out of MGSV.

I just really wanted to go prone and snipe things, but it's a much faster moving game and the enemies don't have the same kind of search patterns since you're expected to do something like turn invisible and murder everyone.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Captain Hygiene posted:

The US Embassy sequence in the first Bourne movie comes to mind as what it's like to have Snake infiltrate your compound, TBH.

Not as cool as the original one.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the original UCS Star Destroyer. I have the original X-Wing and Tie-IN but never pulled the trigger on the SD.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 9, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

The US Embassy sequence in the first Bourne movie comes to mind as what it's like to have Snake infiltrate your compound, TBH.

Lol yeah, I haven't thought about that movie in forever but that seems about right. I liked it a lot at the time, I wonder if it holds up at all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/6adBNN5.mp4
Finally got to the high point of the game, it's all downhill from here :madmax:

Also, I decided to try a couple FOB raids for some reason, but both of them were completely empty - nobody defending, and no resources or weapons to fulton away for my own base. I get it for the first one, it was just some rando in the list of intro level people you can attack. But the second one was in one of the challenge menus, they had actual victories and a point value listed, so I figured they'd have something set up. Kind of confusing, I don't know if I'll bother trying any more since I've happily ignored the online component for 99.5% of the time I've played the game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s only worth doing if you want to get the big crazy online guns that you really don’t need.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That being said the silenced nonlethal shotgun is hilarious to use in the base game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Towards the end I got sick of fultoning everything not bolted down and bought that really powerful sniper rifle to exterminate every living thing halfway across the map.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also, I decided to try a couple FOB raids for some reason, but both of them were completely empty - nobody defending, and no resources or weapons to fulton away for my own base. I get it for the first one, it was just some rando in the list of intro level people you can attack. But the second one was in one of the challenge menus, they had actual victories and a point value listed, so I figured they'd have something set up. Kind of confusing, I don't know if I'll bother trying any more since I've happily ignored the online component for 99.5% of the time I've played the game.

The FOB events on PS4 were working for me earlier this year, I'm guessing this is PC though

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

When I log in like once every 4 to 7 months my FOB defense score has moved up and down but I think that's relative to other people and not because of anything that has actually happened on my own base. I don't think I've ever defended a base from an attack on PC.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The FOB events on PS4 were working for me earlier this year, I'm guessing this is PC though

fob events work on pc. iirc there was a working mod that let you do the fob events offline/off their rotation too.

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6adBNN5.mp4
Finally got to the high point of the game, it's all downhill from here :madmax:

those were player fobs. you get matched with people around your level of development and iirc it prefers to match you with people who are actually active but cant always. if you actually do grind fobs (or just do fob stuff in post game) you will run into ones populated by npcs/defenses (and with loot). fob stuff opens up a lot through the later part of the game. also once you have some number of fob raids under your belt I think you get preferentially pooled with other active players. my last playthrough (last year) i did a bunch of fob raids and got raided frequently. it's fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

That being said the silenced nonlethal shotgun is hilarious to use in the base game.

Lol, I tried that out and it's a lot of fun. Crazy OP, at least when everyone's not body armored up.

https://i.imgur.com/eiKJNlJ.mp4

I love the fact that it sounds like the corny cliche sound effect for punching someone in the face, just from long range

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's such a juggling act to get the birthday cutscene with every single character present but it's worth it for Quiet lighting Boss's cigar with a sniper round.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been rewatching Star Trek Enterprise for the first time in forever, for whatever reason, and I just had the weirdest moment. One of the early characters is a mysterious future guy who occasionally steps in to meddle with the past as part of a temporal war. That's all whatever, but I really sat up when I noticed the voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGvhdiQREg&t=64s

Yep, it's Skull Face himself! If nothing else, that actor managed to sound exactly as distinctive over a good 15 years, I can easily imagine any one of his monologues transitioning right into "I'll see you in hell...'Boss'".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been rewatching Star Trek Enterprise for the first time in forever, for whatever reason, and I just had the weirdest moment. One of the early characters is a mysterious future guy who occasionally steps in to meddle with the past as part of a temporal war. That's all whatever, but I really sat up when I noticed the voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGvhdiQREg&t=64s

Yep, it's Skull Face himself! If nothing else, that actor managed to sound exactly as distinctive over a good 15 years, I can easily imagine any one of his monologues transitioning right into "I'll see you in hell...'Boss'".

James Horan has actually shown up a few times on Star Trek. I like him as the Jem'Hadar in DS9 who beats up Worf and then decides to die because he can kill Worf but he can't defeat him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

James Horan has actually shown up a few times on Star Trek. I like him as the Jem'Hadar in DS9 who beats up Worf and then decides to die because he can kill Worf but he can't defeat him.

That's fun, I'm not surprised since they like to use a lot of repeat actors over there. I haven't watched that much classic era Trek since I would've recognized him, I'll have to track that down too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's fun, I'm not surprised since they like to use a lot of repeat actors over there. I haven't watched that much classic era Trek since I would've recognized him, I'll have to track that down too.

Episode is called By Inferno's Light. I'd recommend watching In Purgatory's Shadow first since it's a two-parter.