Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm on seed of chucky at this point and it's great watching bonnie from family guy having the time of her life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

the first time I saw him was on The War At Home where he was overshadowed by the weird neighbor kid who would end up winning the best actor oscar and emmy

i see so what youre saying is that michael rapaport is the white reginald veljohnson

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The combat photographer stuff in Civil War just felt like Alex Garland skimmed the Wikipedia page for the Bang Bang Club

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Did Chuck Wendig do the novelizations for the new Star Wars movies?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Matt Stover's Revenge of the Sith novel is famously better than the actual movie

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Major Payne starred Damon Wayans

Glad someone else caught that

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i loved that movie as a kid lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the novelization for alien, aliens and alien 3 are good

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Last 15 minutes of Civil War got put out in the internet. I thought it was a fun action scene in isolation. Still very little desire to see the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/GoodLionTV/status/1779531986165756365?t=v9j6dhy_pccumlm8zxUsaw&s=19

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the novelization for The Thing is cool as well, includes a lot of deleted/alternate versions of scenes

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the novelization for alien, aliens and alien 3 are good

what about resurrection, prometheus, and covenant?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

Last 15 minutes of Civil War got put out in the internet. I thought it was a fun action scene in isolation. Still very little desire to see the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/GoodLionTV/status/1779531986165756365?t=v9j6dhy_pccumlm8zxUsaw&s=19

why is it so low intensity

the gently caress kind of war is this? Why is the final battle to decide the war 2 humvees and a guard tower?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the milk machine posted:

the one for resurrection isnt very good i have not read Prometheus and Covenant though alan dean foster wrote the one for Covenant

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Regarde Aduck posted:

the gently caress kind of war is this? Why is the final battle to decide the war 2 humvees and a guard tower?

it reminds me of how the end of TENET was a couple dozen people running around in a desert shooting into the air at no one in particular

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Regarde Aduck posted:

couldn't afford more crisis actors

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Regarde Aduck posted:

How many days of fighting did it take to clear out the Reich Chancellery and Reichstag? I think at least 2 or 3 each, right?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the milk machine posted:

it reminds me of how the end of TENET was a couple dozen people running around in a desert shooting into the air at no one in particular

its funny that the culmination of Nolan's obsession with practical effects is just a bunch of dudes fighting in a rock quarry. like every low budget film from the VHS era

maybe his next one can be in a cement factory full of sparks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

can someone explain why one photographer just kind of jumped out of cover to photograph the enemy while the enemy was still shooting

that's gotta be the dumbest way to get your friend killed I've ever heard of

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

I like that the director has so few ideas, he appropriates a song Adam Curtis used much better as well.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

loquacius posted:

can someone explain why one photographer just kind of jumped out of cover to photograph the enemy while the enemy was still shooting

When Liberals in the 1970's read Dispatches and All the President's Men they formed this idea of reporters and war correspondents as heroic figures, and that's only snowballed since. Someone had a really great post recently about how English BAs at the time changed their curriculum to teach descriptive writing, and create future journalists. This went on to ruin English literature as most fiction now, at least by authors of middling ability (so most) just describes things in a scene. It makes sense that it had other knock on effects, like "dying for the art" being the highest expression of war photography, which is apparently also apolitical, and documentary, as well as artistic.

Those vignettes in the clip where it transitions to the black and white photo, I suppose that the photographer took, shows you what the film thinks is important. That's probably worth unpacking. The important thing remembered for posterity is how it looked when the secret service agent fell, rather than, idk just some sergeant making geopolitical decisions like "no negotiations with the sitting American president", killing someone who came out to discuss a truce.

Capturing that in purely aesthetic terms, without the context or political implications, is a microcosm for the film though, and I suppose gives away what the attitude towards journalism is here. It's heroic, it's "raising awareness", it's artistic, but it's also completely superficial.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

loquacius posted:

you have to be willing to take big risks if you want to break the next big story like woodward, bernstein, or taibbi

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

the milk machine posted:

you have to be willing to take big risks if you want to break the next big story like woodward, bernstein, or taibbi

loquacius posted:

and also pretty much nobody used cover, even when advancing down a brightly lit street. If I remember, one of the books I have on war film mentioned this. The problem is that cover and concealment, obviously enough, don't play well with a visual medium. If the camera can shoot you, in most instances, so could the enemy. If your position, movement etc. is visible to the camera, you'd get shot. Well, this means that you can't really film a realistic military scene, you have to go for authenticity.

It was interesting, it said that American audiences think of films in what the author said were "documentary" terms, insofar as their representation of reality. This leads to contradictions that can't be reconciled, and so it might be better to treat war films like stage plays, where stage fighting, stylized combat, is understood to convey a scene that can't be represented in the medium. The argument being just because you can point a camera at anything doesn't mean you can film anything, and combat in film needs to be conceptualized differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCrFZ-4xCKs

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Apr 17, 2024

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

loquacius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpNU3WumPFQ

Durf has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Apr 17, 2024

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Durf posted:

its funny that the culmination of Nolan's obsession with practical effects is just a bunch of dudes fighting in a rock quarry.

that's not true they sometimes fight in fancy hotel lobbies

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the milk machine posted:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The filmed Coriolanus probably best does what the author suggests, since it's adapting from the stage to a war film, and so uses the theatre's representation of war - even though the actors have rifles, are dressed like contemporary soldiers etc, the combat is stage combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iPZFmjqbIE

The National Theatre's Othello was somewhat similar, though that was a stage production, albeit filmed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoCIwJn9Ic

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the milk machine posted:

Resurrection's comic book adaptation is better than the movie because it has art by a pre-100 Bullets Eduardo Risso. I had it when I was a kid, wish i still did.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

okay and how exactly did the Western Forces manage to cross the entirety of the US without losing any of their territory to the, uh, "Yellow" and "Red" sides?

of course they didnt do that that would be utterly absurd

they actually took the western fleet through the panama canal and landed marines in chesapeake bay

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Resurrection's comic book adaptation is better than the movie because it has art by a pre-100 Bullets Eduardo Risso. I had it when I was a kid, wish i still did.

that's neat. resurrection is a weird movie... it's cool that some movie exec was like "wow those arty movies delicatessen and city of lost children were great, let's get that guy to do the fourth alien movie"

they beat the marvel people using that formula by what? 15 years?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The filmed Coriolanus probably best does what the author suggests, since it's adapting from the stage to a war film, and so uses the theatre's representation of war - even though the actors have rifles, are dressed like contemporary soldiers etc, the combat is stage combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iPZFmjqbIE

The National Theatre's Othello was somewhat similar, though that was a stage production, albeit filmed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoCIwJn9Ic

Titus did this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcLGJ0c-X9k

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

and also pretty much nobody used cover, even when advancing down a brightly lit street. If I remember, one of the books I have on war film mentioned this. The problem is that cover and concealment, obviously enough, don't play well with a visual medium. If the camera can shoot you, in most instances, so could the enemy. If your position, movement etc. is visible to the camera, you'd get shot. Well, this means that you can't really film a realistic military scene, you have to go for authenticity.

It was interesting, it said that American audiences think of films in what the author said were "documentary" terms, insofar as their representation of reality. This leads to contradictions that can't be reconciled, and so it might be better to treat war films like stage plays, where stage fighting, stylized combat, is understood to convey a scene that can't be represented in the medium. The argument being just because you can point a camera at anything doesn't mean you can film anything, and combat in film needs to be conceptualized differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCrFZ-4xCKs

dunno. Kubrick did it perfectly by aping Signal Corps footage.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

The way they "solve" this in the addendum series is very on brand.

wait a minute are you saying someone rebooted the gilmore girls to be more gay

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nonsense posted:

He personally coded, wrote, and voice acted in Fallout 3 single-handedly of course.

good job todd

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Regarde Aduck posted:

lmfao I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that it looked like loving Tenent upon first glance

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Titus whips big-time rear end, great film

another good shakespeare adaptation is Richard III, featuring magneto, mcnulty, iron man, the dowager countess of grantham, and the plastic surgeon from brazil

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Already deleted

Yeah I'm glad to not be seeing this in the theater. If that's your ending.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

dunno. Kubrick did it perfectly by aping Signal Corps footage.

Most people are not as talented as Kubrick.

Thanks for putting me onto Titus, that rules.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

wait a minute are you saying someone rebooted the gilmore girls to be more gay

If we don't see and hear about the gay people of Stars Hollow, or Yale for that matter, we would simply have to assume the only reasonable thing: that they don't exist, and that Amy Sherman-Palladino hates them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The movie where all the journalists are horny to get photos of the president being shot because it would be crazy epic to take the pic looks good and funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
remake of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World but it's about teams of journalists in a mad cap race through a civil war to get photos of the president being shot