Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Does anyone know if all these videos, around the verse, Ben interviews, 10 for the Uhr-man etc, actually have any relationship to the funding chart? If there genuinely were money concerns, you'd be taking a pragmatic look at those things to see if they are worth the money. Seems like a lot of dead weight sitting around in front of cameras if you are supposedly out of fundraising and into production.

They seem to produce an endless amount of mediocre video, and very little else. I'm sure that everyone would much rather a patch/update every month did the talking.

The very existence of these near-daily promo videos and talking shops, coupled with the regular ship sales, would say to me that they need them to keep the cash flowing in. So I'm slowly being persuaded over to Derek's view that there is a scarcity of money - these aren't dev diaries they're making, they are pure promo and marketing.

Everything they produce boils down to being a piece of marketing asking for money. Even the broken and barely functioning alpha has been used for marketing, by opening it up to free fly weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Atreiden posted:

yeah did a bit of math and I have at best (worst?) spend 200$/year on games. and no where near that when I was a kid. So even factoring in the computers I bought over the years, I'm still just around 10K ( and most of that is because I have bought 3 laptops and 4 stationary pc's over the years, not the games)

yeah I have 250 games on steam and the vast majority I bought on sales. just checked my purchase history and turns out I payed more for the commander keen collection than I did for mass effect 1.

278 games, and the most I have spent at one time was $64.99 for the below.

Bioshock Infinite Pre-Order WW - $59.99
Borderlands 2: Commando Supremacy Pack - $0.99
Borderlands 2: Siren Madness Pack - $0.99
Borderlands 2: Siren Supremacy Pack - $0.99
Borderlands 2: Mechromancer Supremacy Pack - $0.99
Borderlands 2: Assassin Madness Pack - $0.99

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I mean I don't really watch streamers, I'm too old for that poo poo, but does Miku understand that you should have a personality, charisma or at least "Fake it til you make it" kind of cheeriness to bring in new viewers, keep viewers in the channel and hype them all up?

I mean I could say the same for grandpa but I'm pretty sure the pressure of getting this thing funded only to be plagued by plagiarism remarks and perhaps lawsuits for the rest of the project is taking the wind out of his sails. Or he needs a nap too because he is fading here too.

Or, you can go the other route, "tell it as it is" and being a giant raging rear end in a top hat all the time. I mean, hey, here, PewDiePie's got a lot of followers and from the one video I have been able to stomach, I see no charisma there. And the CIG weekly shows get a lot of viewers and there's CERTAINLY no charisma there, AND Sandi keeps basically firing all the cute girls.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In this week's episode of Star Citizen: In an attempt to avoid watching Sandi stuff her face with more biscuits Ben Lesnick visits his buddies at Star Traders, only to discover that his wacky friends have attached a siphon tap to the CIG ship pipeline in another one of their hair-brained get rich quick schemes! Can the Tracer Boys distract Ben with their old board game while Ryan finishes photocopying everything they need? Or will they have to resort to watching more Wing Commander? Guest starring Clifford aka Miku as a shiver looking for a spine to crawl up.

Watching Wing Commander? Is that a CRITICAL HIT or a FATALITY! ?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rhubarb94 posted:

Lets say he's provisionally decided to give the "artist" the boot, he can't do it without verifying that the art was pinched, he needs to make sure it's not just bullshit goon background noise before he does anything.

He's not going to kick him out. The whole thing is way too entwined with CIG. They both get work there, SC helped them advertise, Ben, Sandi and Croberts pitched in, and the cult was the one that funded most of the thing.

They'll stay together, for better or for worse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Warcabbit posted:

Melting it: You have a _really_ rare ship, with valuable 'LTI'. Do not melt it, it would be bad. It's probably better to sell it on Reddit and maybe use some of the cash to buy a smaller ship.
(I would be willing to buy it, but not at the price it even cost originally.)
What? Don't loving buy a smaller ship. Don't buy a ship. Sell, get out and never look back

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Google Butt posted:

so im guessing you didn't see his scummy written responses to the clear evidence?

I did, the timing was bad and he gave someone the benefit of the doubt whilst having the perfect storm of timing, his livestream and a goon-swarm of righteous anger. He could have worded it differently but "benefit of the doubt" leaves the door open for further information has come to light and I've now told my "artist" to gently caress off.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

What? Don't loving buy a smaller ship. Don't buy a ship. Sell, get out and never look back

He got given it for free by Ben Lesnick :v:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhubarb94 posted:

I did, the timing was bad and he gave someone the benefit of the doubt whilst having the perfect storm of timing, his livestream and a goon-swarm of righteous anger. He could have worded it differently but "benefit of the doubt" leaves the door open for further information has come to light and I've now told my "artist" to gently caress off.

He didn't say that he was looking into it or anything, he acted like he totally knew what was going on and lied about it being placeholder art, fair use parody, etc. He could have worded it differently by not lying. That would have helped.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SomethingJones posted:

Does anyone know if all these videos, around the verse, Ben interviews, 10 for the Uhr-man etc, actually have any relationship to the funding chart? If there genuinely were money concerns, you'd be taking a pragmatic look at those things to see if they are worth the money. Seems like a lot of dead weight sitting around in front of cameras if you are supposedly out of fundraising and into production.

They seem to produce an endless amount of mediocre video, and very little else. I'm sure that everyone would much rather a patch/update every month did the talking.

The very existence of these near-daily promo videos and talking shops, coupled with the regular ship sales, would say to me that they need them to keep the cash flowing in. So I'm slowly being persuaded over to Derek's view that there is a scarcity of money - these aren't dev diaries they're making, they are pure promo and marketing.

Everything they produce boils down to being a piece of marketing asking for money. Even the broken and barely functioning alpha has been used for marketing, by opening it up to free fly weekends.

Good question and I assume so. All the bullshit videos are funded with the monthly subscriber poo poo. From an accounting standpoint, I'd love to see how they allocate their expenses and department codes for their financials. The odd dollar amounts I see must be from subscriptions.

Monday is 10 for Erin. Should be a hoot.

These shitshows are losing their luster. That was quite evident in the last RtV. They basically had the "I don't give a gently caress" going on.

I honestly don't understand how you can transcribe what you do. My only guess is you have a CIG gun pointed at your head and it clips through your skull thus denying you of a dignified suicide.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rhubarb94 posted:

Dude, did we see the same thing?. At least Ryan looked guilty as all hell about being found out. Grandpa? whatever needs to be done to get them :10bux:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lack of Gravitas posted:

He got given it for free by Ben Lesnick :v:
I know, I'm talking about the guy who said that once he sells that ship maybe he should buy another ship

if you get a SC ship for free, sell it to the nerds who think game spaceships should cost actual money for some awful reason and then run away. don't buy another ship once you sell the first free one buy like multiple actual games instead.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

I know, I'm talking about the guy who said that once he sells that ship maybe he should buy another ship

if you get a SC ship for free, sell it to the nerds who think game spaceships should cost actual money for some awful reason and then run away. don't buy another ship once you sell the first free one buy like multiple actual games instead.

Nah, don't be complicit in the scamming of retards. It's bad Karma. Just enjoy your ship (in the web-browser 'cuz it'll never get made).

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Midnight Voyager posted:

He didn't say that he was looking into it or anything, he acted like he totally knew what was going on and lied about it being placeholder art, fair use parody, etc. He could have worded it differently by not lying. That would have helped.

I agree, he handled it badly whilst having a really bad weekend. But so what, David Ladyman didn't pinch anything.

You cant blame the guy for not taking SA to be the worlds most reliable internet judge jury and lynch mob. We have reddit for that poo poo.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Colostomy Bag posted:

True. All my speculation is based on Erin saying they have 200-220 in Europe and Lesnick basically saying they can't keep track of 400 employees.

This is something that makes me laugh a bit whenever a Shitizen points out how much the company has grown, how many people they've hired in a short time, etc. Expanding that quickly isn't always a good thing, from a productivity and management chain perspective. Unless you've got some really loving good management in to handle the quick change in business size, you're going to have a lot of of growing pains as you adjust from having a business employing 50 staff to 400.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

orcinus posted:

While the Star Tracers shitshow was going, i've spent some time cleaning up some space and setting this bad boy up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XviNwk0P6iA

What to print what to print?
An alien dildo?
Thumb Roberts coke spoon?
1:100000 model of Ben?
Parpgrim's cross?

e: yoink, 6am, i'm out.

Dude gently caress you is that an SLA printer? What's the max part volume in it? Not jealous, or anything :geno:

G0RF posted:

I'm on a phone so it harder to dig up at the moment but if AP doesn't post it in, I will dig through my own post history and find my reaction when AP pasted it in thread. I knew of the Wingman / Sandi tussle but didn't realize it reached a 'shots fired' level in the RSI forums.

I wonder if Chris has the presence of mind at this point to realize the LA relocation, Wingman purge / Sandi Ascension was one of CIG's Top 10 Costliest Screw-Ups yet?

I missed all of the Wingman/Sandi episode(s), any saucelinks?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rhubarb94 posted:

You cant blame the guy for not taking SA to be the worlds most reliable internet judge jury and lynch mob. We have reddit for that poo poo.

Well, for all we know the dude may be blind. That's about the only thing that could explain him not realizing the obvious.

-Yes? this collection of so called traced images? Well, excuse me but I don't trust SA to be the most reliable internet judge on traced images. I'll need some extra cash to hire a professional appraiser.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

He's alive in my heart.

As much as I can respect that viewpoint, it's doesn't inspire much confidence in the currency. Cloudian Dreambucks though will last as long as your dreams!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhubarb94 posted:

But so what, David Ladyman didn't pinch anything.

Look, I didn't steal anything, I just covered for my friend when he did.

What do you mean that's also a crime?

What do you mean it's especially a crime if I am profiting from the theft?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 28, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wow, a goon won pictures and a name of a ship and Star Traders got their KS funded, what a great morning :toot:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Shamed to admit I watch it through. That face at 1:02 though. Cant unsee.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Just noticed Boba Chicken is making GBS threads out 'By Ryan Archer'

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Final numbers on the Star Tracers KS for easy inline access (for them's catching up):

Pretty close.

And I can see the story going Ladyman hires Archer, Archer fucks him with no real warning, and Ladyman has been left scrambling when all this hit the fan, and is going to ream Archer later six ways from Sunday.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

@Daztek,

You gonna love this one:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6504560/#Comment_6504560

Same Sandi/Annabelle´s thread quoted here as of late.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I just read the comments on Pgabz' latest video and they are amazing, I am glad Citizens know how game development works. Hopefully CIG will fix the CFG editing, a method used by the earlier mentioned Citizens to actually make the game not run like utter poo poo for them

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

That thread really has no waste

Love this guy.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6507182/#Comment_6507182

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 28, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rhubarb94 posted:

He accepted $50k from people who were probably under the impression that it was original artwork. The campaign is over and the door is closed.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Drop in Drop Out Co-op as originally promised now confirmed delivered in board game. Ironically this lovely board game might be the most persistent thing CIG has produced.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

mrking posted:

Drop in Drop Out Co-op as originally promised now confirmed delivered in board game. Ironically this lovely board game might be the most persistent thing CIG has produced.

Nah, their incompetence is the most persistent thing they produce

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is there anything that is a stronger signal of "i dont know how games development works" than spending ten thousand dollars on pre orders ot space ships?

Like, isn't that evidence that on some fundamental level, there is something the person fundamentally misunderstands about the process?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Prop Wash posted:

He accepted $50k from people who were probably under the impression that it was original artwork. The campaign is over and the door is closed.

Good for him, he managed it despite getting mobbed at the most awkward time possible. He should probably consider an art redesign and staff restructuring.

This should happen after hes had to time to look into it properly, instead of jumping on an internet bandwagon of pretend outrage about photoshopping heads onto borrowed artwork. From an internet forum with a lot of (hilarious) photoshopped heads on borrowed artwork.

I for one am glad that I invested.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Rhubarb94 posted:

Good for him, he managed it despite getting mobbed at the most awkward time possible. He should probably consider an art redesign and staff restructuring.

This should happen after hes had to time to look into it properly, instead of jumping on an internet bandwagon of pretend outrage about photoshopping heads onto borrowed artwork. From an internet forum with a lot of (hilarious) photoshopped heads on borrowed artwork.

I for one am glad that I invested.

Did this forum promote a product and earn money with these hilarious photoshops of borrowed artwork?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhubarb94 posted:

instead of jumping on an internet bandwagon of pretend outrage about photoshopping heads onto borrowed artwork. From an internet forum with a lot of (hilarious) photoshopped heads on borrowed artwork.

Because nobody can be actually angry that some fucker's making money off artwork literally stolen from DeviantArt... and the photoshopped heads on borrowed artwork in this forum are totally a thing that we accept $50k for.

I would expect the guy to show any intention of looking into it properly instead of acting like it's completely normal and there was 100% no wrongdoing.

"I'll look into it." There, done.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Haha, that video is awesome, I love how movements aren't restricted, and you're free to play like a dumbass if you feel like it. I love things like that, I hate game engines that don't allow me to explore the full range of it's capabilities. It's also obvious that there no glitches in that video, it's a dude playing with a gamepad and spinning the view all around when he sits in a seat. Also the floating above the platform is awesome, shows how well they did the maneuvering jet system on the suits.

Seriously if you're gonna make a fail video, try not to make it look so fun.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Speculation:

In the Erin interview I transcribed he said he was responsible for co ordinating the teams and doing lots of travelling to put all the processes in place between everyone.

So if he's in the US he's setting up dev for SQ42.

Chris couldn't answer questions about the PU beyond 2.3.

Derek is going on about dates.

Erin isn't leaving. Whoever is heading up the PU dev is.

PU is scrap. Whatever it is now, that's it for a very long time indeed.

Possibly this was already obvious but I'm only seeing it now.

Time for sleep...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

What bothers me the most is that the artist has said nothing at all while letting David Ladyman do all the talking. I'm willing to give Ladyman the benefit of doubt, but the artist just sat around for the whole stream looking super awkward

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Midnight Voyager posted:

Because nobody can be actually angry that some fucker's making money off artwork literally stolen from DeviantArt... and the photoshopped heads on borrowed artwork in this forum are totally a thing that we accept $50k for.

I would expect the guy to show any intention of looking into it properly instead of acting like it's completely normal and there was 100% no wrongdoing.

"I'll look into it." There, done.

Be angry at the fella who did the stealing (if he did), not the company boss with the nightmare scenario for his kickstarter final weekend.

If he had immediately (stupidly) sided with the goons against his employee, would that have stopped the mob or would the attack have shifted to become "take down your kickstarter, now you've admitted it was stolen art".

He did the only thing he could do, play for time.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"If he did"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhubarb94 posted:

Be angry at the fella who did the stealing (if he did), not the company boss with the nightmare scenario for his kickstarter final weekend.

If he had immediately (stupidly) sided with the goons against his employee, would that have stopped the mob or would the attack have shifted to become "take down your kickstarter, now you've admitted it was stolen art".

He did the only thing he could do, play for time.

Covering for the guy by lying putting his own neck on the line is not the "only thing" he could do. I literally just gave an example of a better thing to do. Say he's looking into it.

That's it, that's all he needed. I'm not asking him to side against anything. "These are very serious charges, and I am going to have to look into them." Tadaaa!

Also haha, "if he did". I feel like I'm falling for a troll here. It's so hard to tell with Star Citizen and related properties...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

hakimashou posted:

Is there anything that is a stronger signal of "i dont know how games development works" than spending ten thousand dollars on pre orders ot space ships?

:iceburn:

• Locked thread