Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Iron Rose posted:

Assuming you mean interrupt requests, that’s a concept that’s actually important and relevant to understanding software! I wouldn’t lump it in with PCI/IDE.

My kingdom for an interview candidate who knows what a kernel actually does.

it's what gives the cpu structural support and stores the majority of carbohydrates for long runtimes or brownouts

Rexxed posted:

If we don't make the kids learn about setting jumpers for the IDE chain or IRQs on our ISA cards how will they support all this legacy hardware? You ever set the CPU frequency with dip switches? It's a blast.

just replace the old poo poo with an arduino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

One time I had a problem with a PCI ethernet card and it wanted to be in the top slot for bus mastering.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Ticket closed, PCI card insisted on masterbussing

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

once upon a time you needed to manually set the irq of any given expansion card (usually isa) and which irq was best for which type of card was a thing on the a+ test for way longer than it needed to be

You just triggered faded flashbacks of troubleshooting that poo poo as a kid.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Rexxed posted:

One time I had a problem with a PCI ethernet card and it wanted to be in the top slot for bus mastering.

what's ethernet? the prequel to wifi?

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

All I remember about kernels is the posts saying that Linux started as a round robin scheduler, and then trying to find out anything beyond that took me to the OS dev forums

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Some of are so old our A+ and Network+ don't expire.

Also, don't miss IRQ. Especially the one jumper that wouldn't allow your PC to boot if it was missing

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tokin opposition posted:

It's like token ring but without the MAU jacks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm reading Jeff Doyle's book "OSPF and IS-IS: Choosing an IGP for Large-Scale Networks" and came across a bit where they discuss shortest path bridging being used in the early ARPANET. I find that very amusing, since it seems to have made a bit of a comeback the last few years.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

tokin opposition posted:

It’s what you get when you combine fire net, water net air net and earth net.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rexxed posted:

It's like token ring but without the MAU jacks.

man one time I forgot to put a terminator on and all the tokens fell out

such a mess! it took hours to clean up!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Fool posted:

man one time I forgot to put a terminator on and all the tokens fell out

such a mess! it took hours to clean up!

There's a dilbert comic you're going to love!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s what you get when you combine fire net, water net air net and earth net.

But only on September.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rexxed posted:

There's a dilbert comic you're going to love!

what's dilbert

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Fool posted:

what's dilbert

A VMWare guy but that's not important right now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rexxed posted:

A VMWare guy but that's not important right now.

not important as gently caress

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tokin opposition posted:

Ok this is gonna bug me. Prequel is a portmanteau of pre and sequel, right? So you can't call something that chronologically comes before something else a prequel unless it was released later.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ok this is gonna bug me. Prequel is a portmanteau of pre and sequel, right? So you can't call something that chronologically comes before something else a prequel unless it was released later.

Yes you can because language evolves like that.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Cup Runneth Over posted:

How do you feel about Gearbox calling a borderlands game “pre-sequel”?

(But yes I totally agree with you)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

language is fake everything permitted is.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tokin opposition posted:

language is fake everything permitted is.

It's true that everything permitted, is, but that's a tautology.

Cyks posted:

How do you feel about Gearbox calling a borderlands game “pre-sequel”?

(But yes I totally agree with you)

I hate everything Gearbox produces.

e: the Half-Life expansion packs were ok I guess

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Iron Rose posted:

I recently had an interview and got asked to describe as in depth as possible how a web page is served.

I think you asked/mentioned something along those lines itt a long time ago. It was starting out with pressing a button on the keyboard, sending an electric signal through the keyboars pcb, through the usb cable into the port of the desktop/laptop where the signal would go over the usb bus to the cpu.

This was too detailed for my interview unfortunately. I had to stick with describing how the dns, http and the 3 way handshake for tls works.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

I recently had an interview and got asked to describe as in depth as possible how a web page is served.

I think you asked/mentioned something along those lines itt a long time ago. It was starting out with pressing a button on the keyboard, sending an electric signal through the keyboars pcb, through the usb cable into the port of the desktop/laptop where the signal would go over the usb bus to the cpu.

This was too detailed for my interview unfortunately. I had to stick with describing how the dns, http and the 3 way handshake for tls works.

Somewhat related for those who are bored and want to learn a little: What happens when you type google.com into your browser's address box and press enter?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tokin opposition posted:

thank god a+ taught me about IDE and PCI, i use them all the time after i got that time machine

yes, two things that were never important for anyone, especially when they were current tech

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

...... wait does A+ really actually ask you about IDE in 2023 :lmao:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I had 3 questions about Hubs on my Net+ last October. poo poo can be absurd lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hate everything Gearbox produces.

e: the Half-Life expansion packs were ok I guess

The homeworld remasters were decent, they just needed a bit more patches to be perfect.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I remember my A+ had multiple questions on the maintenance procedures for dot-matrix printers in 2005 or so.

I actually needed that info for a client that was still running a tractor-fed dot matrix printer for triplicate printing in 2008.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

LochNessMonster posted:

I think this is an awesome question because it's so incredibly open ended but still servers the purpose of the technical interview. Personally, I wish way more companies did something like this because it allows you to see the strengths of a candidate as well as weaknesses.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
486-era technology seems excessive in 2023, although I would also have said that in 2008 and apparently someone found the dot-matrix stuff useful then. They're hardly the only offender, though. Hopefully they've gotten rid of it in the revamp a few years ago, but historically the CCNA curriculum has included stuff like ATM and frame relay even though that stuff is ancient history, and all of their examples used FastEthernet (100Mbit) interfaces. Virtually all modern Cisco gear uses gigabit interfaces, I think maybe I've seen an Fa interface used once on an ISR.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sepist posted:

Some of are so old our A+ and Network+ don't expire.

Sup.

Work was trying to pull some fuckery requiring current techs to get certs to qualify for our own jobs and I'm like, lol no I'm not doing A+ again. The never expiring thing was a nice surprise when I had to dig out the emails from when I got it almost 23 years ago lol

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

mattfl posted:

Sup.

Work was trying to pull some fuckery requiring current techs to get certs to qualify for our own jobs and I'm like, lol no I'm not doing A+ again. The never expiring thing was a nice surprise when I had to dig out the emails from when I got it almost 23 years ago lol

Trying to force someone with 23 years of experience get an A+ is one of the most idiot corporate things I’ve heard of in a week that’s been filled with it at my place

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Trying to force someone with 23 years of experience get an A+ is one of the most idiot corporate things I’ve heard of in a week that’s been filled with it at my place

23 years of experience and 10 in this job alone. Ya that idea didn't fly to well and died out pretty quickly. And yes it was entirely a corporate idea from some new HR group or something. Someone finally realized that it would probably be a resume generating event and only new hires are required to have/get them now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Do you work here? lol I just re-upped my loving A+ as the guy running the IT engineering (network and server infrastructure) supporting industrial projects valued in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Like my guy if I am going to pick up useful info from an A+ you should can my rear end.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do you work here? lol I just re-upped my loving A+ as the guy running the IT engineering (network and server infrastructure) supporting industrial projects valued in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Like my guy if I am going to pick up useful info from an A+ you should can my rear end.

I doubt it. June July’s just when a lot of places have promotion cycles and that means a lot of new managers with some big ideas about changing things around here

August and February are probably peak months for needless poorly thought-out changes

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I only got my A+ last year to help me get my foot in the door somewhere.

But requiring people already in IT to get it is stupid as hell. Talked one of my coworkers out of getting it because he's got a CS degree and a year of experience already. Told him unless someone else is paying for it, it's not gonna do much for him.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Lol my A+ included questions on dot matrix printers

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

Lol my A+ included questions on dot matrix printers

I think mine did too, it's been so long since I took it though.

I think I remember reading a braindump the night before the exam. That was back when braindumps were basically word for word questions/answers of all the popular exams at the time, A+/Net+/MCP/MCSE, if you could memorize stuff you could be a fully certified IT professional pretty quickly lol.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have approx 10 hours of MS Intune training to do the remainder of this week and the sessions are 4 hours long and do not include lunch breaks. However, I was pleased to find that HyperV hasn't changed since I first cut my teeth on it in 2011. We're spinning up VMs to work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My current job is like trying to catch a new and entirely unheard of falling piano every day and it is starting to grate on my nerves.