Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

hackedaccount posted:

If you don't mind, why are you doing this? Quick and dirty backup solution for nodes that hold no data?

I'm used to good old daily full/incremental via backup software so I'm curious what you're up to here.

I would imagine so that if you screw up a config file you can do a 'git revert /etc/whatever/whatever.conf', and then do '/sbin/service whatever restart'.

Of course this is assuming you checked your changes in after your last re-configuration and nobody changed anything prior to your edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKBGUTT
May 7, 2009

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and i want to compile a C++ file that uses the pthreads library.

I try to compile using:
g++ program.cpp -o program -lpthreads

But get a error message:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthreads

Where can i find the pthreads library? I know very little Linux so please explain in detail.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think you need to use -lpthread instead of -lpthreads.

HKBGUTT
May 7, 2009

Yep, I'm a moron. That worked! Thank you anwyay!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fedora 16 is out.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Grub2, faster booting, and Kernel version 3.1

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Fedora 16 is out.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Grub2, faster booting, and Kernel version 3.1

And Gnome 3. :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

And Gnome 3. :smith:

So was 15. Use an LXDE spin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

So was 15. Use an LXDE spin.

fair enough

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
For the Arch users who install stuff from AUR, which tool do you use? I've been using yaourt, but if there's something better / easier to use I'd love to hear about it.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Maybe I'm specific about the distro I want but I really like gnome 2. I'm thinking of installing centos 6 only because it has gnome 2. I checked out fedora 16 and it would have been perfect but...

Am I crazy for installing centos 6 for a desktop environment? Anyone have any suggestions?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Social Animal posted:

Maybe I'm specific about the distro I want but I really like gnome 2. I'm thinking of installing centos 6 only because it has gnome 2. I checked out fedora 16 and it would have been perfect but...

Am I crazy for installing centos 6 for a desktop environment? Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been running it on my laptop since we decided to standardize on CentOS at work so I can get some more firsthand experience with it. It works well as a desktop system, but you have to be willing to put up with the fact that their policy of retaining stable versions of packages also applies to the desktop. There is some really old (for 2011) stuff in there that could be a dealbreaker if you like having the latest releases of everything.

If you don't mind using a bunch of extra yum repositories you should be able to manage.

Alternatively, maybe there's GNOME 2 packages for Fedora?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I discovered the hard way over the weekend that operating my new heater in the living room while playing games on the pc will flip the circuit breaker, this caused my file server to lose power twice within a few hours.

It came up fine both times and the array resynced, but yesterday afternoon my htpc hung while trying to play a video (it's all hosted on the file server via nfs). I hopped onto the htpc and rebooted it, and decided to look at the file server to see if anything was weird with the naming convention that would cause xbmc to hang. That's when I started noticing some weird behavior. When I would try to cd into the directory it would hang, ls did the same thing. The command just wouldn't finish executing.

This all occurs when I'm trying to enter /media with is an 8TB mdadm+lvm raid 5 array that was been functioning quite well for the last 4 months (previously a 4TB raid 0). I tried rebooting it but it just wouldn't, I tried halt, poweroff, reboot, and while it sent the broadcast message nothing would happen.

I ended up changing the runlevel to 0 and manually powering it off hoping it would shutdown the array but it didn't, it booted back up and is resyncing again, at the time it looked to be moving pretty quickly and I was able to navigate /media just fine. However this morning I hopped on to check up on it and the resync has slowed to a crawl at 26K/sec (hopefully just means it hit a rough patch) and I can't navigate /media freely anymore.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening? dmesg doesn't show any weird errors and I haven't modified anything on the system recently. I updated all the packages on my system yesterday (currently compiling the new lqx 3.1.1 kernel to see if there's a bug) before the reboot but that didn't do anything. I'm running Arch Linux x86.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 14, 2011

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Looking at the sources, my guess is either the BFQ I/O scheduler or unreliable hardware. I'm guessing the former, since I've encountered similar issues with the BFQ scheduler.

You can switch back to CFQ easily by just booting with elevator=cfq on your kernel line in grub/lilo/whatever. Try it and see if the problem persists.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'll give that a shot when I get home. I did a force unmount of /media hoping that would speed up the resync but it didn't, I'll try an upgraded kernel first then switch the scheduler.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I've also seen weirdness with the BFQ scheduler. I've since stopped using it and switched back to CFQ. The problems went away.

These random acts of weirdness are probably why BFQ hasn't been merged into mainline...

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

i barely GNU her! posted:

I've been running it on my laptop since we decided to standardize on CentOS at work so I can get some more firsthand experience with it. It works well as a desktop system, but you have to be willing to put up with the fact that their policy of retaining stable versions of packages also applies to the desktop. There is some really old (for 2011) stuff in there that could be a dealbreaker if you like having the latest releases of everything.

If you don't mind using a bunch of extra yum repositories you should be able to manage.

Alternatively, maybe there's GNOME 2 packages for Fedora?

I guess I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. If anything, I just checked out Linux Mint and that might be a good option for me as well if I get sick of CentOS.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I tried adding elevator=cfq to grub and rebooted it but it didn't switch. I did some reading and figured out I've got these three schedulers (found by checking contents of /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler):

noop deadline [bfq]

I went ahead and changed the scheduler this way to deadline for each disk, the resync is moving much faster now, it's been 2 hours and it's reached 24%, much better then when it was crawling earlier and only hit 2% after 14 hours.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 15, 2011

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Social Animal posted:

I guess I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. If anything, I just checked out Linux Mint and that might be a good option for me as well if I get sick of CentOS.

Debian stable still runs Gnome 2, but it also has a lot of outdated packages like CentOS. I generally prefer Debian over CentOS for desktop use, but I suppose thats just personal preference.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Ashex posted:

I tried adding elevator=cfq to grub and rebooted it but it didn't switch. I did some reading and figured out I've got these three schedulers (found by checking contents of /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler):

noop deadline [bfq]

I went ahead and changed the scheduler this way to deadline for each disk, the resync is moving much faster now, it's been 2 hours and it's reached 24%, much better then when it was crawling earlier and only hit 2% after 14 hours.
Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't notice it at first, seems like CFQ is compiled as a module. I think you can just add it to your initrd to be able to use it together with the elevator parameter.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Note: Complete linux newbie

My friend gave me a Lenevo S10 netbook which I installed the newest Ubuntu on. I am having a problem when it suspends itself due to inactivity. I cannot revive it. I can hit the fn+f1 buttons (has a moon in blue on it) to suspend it and then revive it, but if it suspends on its own I cannot bring it back. I tried fn+f1, shutting and opening it, and also pressing the power button (as well as mashing every button on the drat thing!) Any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

My friend gave me a Lenevo S10 netbook which I installed the newest Ubuntu on. I am having a problem when it suspends itself due to inactivity. I cannot revive it. I can hit the fn+f1 buttons (has a moon in blue on it) to suspend it and then revive it, but if it suspends on its own I cannot bring it back. I tried fn+f1, shutting and opening it, and also pressing the power button (as well as mashing every button on the drat thing!) Any ideas?

Have you checked https://www.ubuntuforums.org I've had good luck using the S10's in the past but not sure if I ever used suspend/resume.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't notice it at first, seems like CFQ is compiled as a module. I think you can just add it to your initrd to be able to use it together with the elevator parameter.

I may do that, but after some reading up on the deadline scheduler it may be the best one for me to use and apparently I'll get the best disk performance out of it (all it does is host files).

Anyways, thank you so much for the help as I'm certain I wouldn't have figured it out on my own, I knew it was something low-level but couldn't figure it out.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

I'm installing a (well known) backup client from CD on a non-production box, so I can document steps and make it happen across the environment:

./install
/bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

:rolleyes:

So one fix would be to copy the whole 3GB tree from /mnt/cdrom to the filesystem and dos2unix the scripts, which I'd rather not do. Anyone have a better suggestion? Would `ln -s /bin/sh /bin/sh^M` work or will I break everything?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Ashex posted:

I may do that, but after some reading up on the deadline scheduler it may be the best one for me to use and apparently I'll get the best disk performance out of it (all it does is host files).

Anyways, thank you so much for the help as I'm certain I wouldn't have figured it out on my own, I knew it was something low-level but couldn't figure it out.
You're welcome. :)

And yeah, there's nothing wrong with using noop or deadline really, cfq is just what works well for most systems.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BnT posted:

So one fix would be to copy the whole 3GB tree from /mnt/cdrom to the filesystem and dos2unix the scripts, which I'd rather not do. Anyone have a better suggestion? Would `ln -s /bin/sh /bin/sh^M` work or will I break everything?

All of the lines will end with \r which will confuse sh terribly even if you set up a symlink for sh itself.

Does dos2unix <install | sh work? Or are there multiple other scripts it calls?

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Zom Aur posted:

Looking at the sources, my guess is either the BFQ I/O scheduler or unreliable hardware. I'm guessing the former, since I've encountered similar issues with the BFQ scheduler.

You can switch back to CFQ easily by just booting with elevator=cfq on your kernel line in grub/lilo/whatever. Try it and see if the problem persists.

The concept of different I/O schedulers was completely new to me, so I looked around a bit and found in Aaron Carroll's I/O scheduling on RAID (scroll down a bit) a really good paper on this topic.
I'm really learning a lot from this thread, thank you guys.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Does dos2unix <install | sh work? Or are there multiple other scripts it calls?

Nope, it calls other scripts. I'm going to have to spend some time fixing this mess any way I look at it, I guess. In for a penny, in for a pound, guess I'm rolling an RPM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OpenSUSE 12.1 is out - http://news.opensuse.org/2011/11/16/opensuse-12-1-all-green/?pk_campaign=counter

This distro gets no respect I tell ya.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bob Morales posted:

OpenSUSE 12.1 is out - http://news.opensuse.org/2011/11/16/opensuse-12-1-all-green/?pk_campaign=counter

This distro gets no respect I tell ya.

If there were no Slackware, I'd probably go for SuSE. Been a long time since I used it - 6.1 I think - but it was solid and well organised, even if they did that strange stuff with init.d and had that terrible YaST thing. Never understood the attraction of 'easy' distros; 99% of Linux confusion I read about seems to be related to Ubuntu & Co's obfuscation of system functionality and configuration. With older distros, you locate the right few files, edit them, and you're on your way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any app that will capture a single frame from a V4L source and output it as a jpeg/png/etc WITHOUT X11 running?

Right now xawtv does this just fine, but it requires X11 to be present on the system and running, and for one reason or another I would prefer that the system I replace this with be built out to be console-only.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290 posted:

I have a WEIRD problem that I need a hand with. It might be VM related or networking related. See if anybody can pick something out.

I have a Debian squeeze machine set up as a Xen host. I run nothing but vanilla squeeze VMs in it and use the xen-create-image utility to make the VMs.

All VMs and the primary NIC of the host are on 10.4.0.0/24 with a simple bridge on the host side to give all the VMs network. I also have a second nic on the host in 10.2.0.0/24 that is not bridged to the VMs. Both interfaces run into my pfSense router (both LAN interfaces, obviously). My main PC is in the 10.4.0.0 subnet as well. All machines and VMs are assigned fixed IPs via DHCP.

I can SSH around all I want between the host and VMs but here's the weird part - I get problems accessing these web servers from inside the 10.4.0.0 LAN. However, if I do a NAT rule from the outside through pfSense to whatever VM i'm working on, I can access it just fine from the outside Internet, going to my WAN IP and the NAT port.

And here's the REALLY weird part: It only happens with dynamically generated pages. I can pull index.html's and test static HTML pages all day long. But as soon as I try to access, say, ruTorrent or nagios or anything that isn't static HTML, none of those sites/pages will load.

Is this some obscure weird PHP flag or something that i'm missing? I cannot explain why it's doing this at all and it's driving me nuts and I feel stupid as poo poo not being able to figure it out. I have disabled iptables on the host and confirmed it is not in play.

I'm happy to post whatever extra logs/info/data is needed to troubleshoot.

Figured it out.

protip: install ethtool on your domU's and run 'ethtool -K eth0 tx off' to turn off checksumming. Instant fix and all my stuff is available on the LAN and WAN now.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Is there any app that will capture a single frame from a V4L source and output it as a jpeg/png/etc WITHOUT X11 running?

Right now xawtv does this just fine, but it requires X11 to be present on the system and running, and for one reason or another I would prefer that the system I replace this with be built out to be console-only.

I have never done it, but I would imagine VLC could.

http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch10.html

Looks like there is a snapshot flag to try once you get the right command to stream the video from the device.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks. VLC seems like the sort of thing that would require X11 to be running though, doesn't it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I think mplayer can do it. I've run mplayer without X, using the ascii art output mode just for fun, so no X should be ok. I think I compiled it myself that time, I'm not sure if you can just go to town with, say, Ubuntu's version.

This has an example command line:
http://ask.metafilter.com/30530/Screenshots-Video-Linux-Commandline

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

ffmpeg does pretty much everything (and from the command line), and I'd imagine that being able to simply take a frame/screenshot of video is supported.

edit: quick googling says yeah, it will do it:
http://code.coneybeare.net/how-to-generate-png-screenshots-using-ffmpeg

http://www.kayweb.com.au/blogs/Web-Development/Generating-screenshots-using-FFmpeg

text editor fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 16, 2011

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

taqueso posted:

I think mplayer can do it. I've run mplayer without X, using the ascii art output mode just for fun, so no X should be ok. I think I compiled it myself that time, I'm not sure if you can just go to town with, say, Ubuntu's version.

This has an example command line:
http://ask.metafilter.com/30530/Screenshots-Video-Linux-Commandline
mplayer can do -frames 1 and -vo png (or jpeg) to put the output straight to images. I don't know if it'll do v4l, but it should.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

syzygy86 posted:

Debian stable still runs Gnome 2, but it also has a lot of outdated packages like CentOS. I generally prefer Debian over CentOS for desktop use, but I suppose thats just personal preference.

I was debating that as well but I finally settled on CentOS since I do work with that quite a bit at my job.

As an update, I've finally gotten CentOS to do what I want it to do and honestly it's not bad for a desktop at all. Yeah you can load up Ubuntu or Mint and have it all and more but.. Gnome 2. :mmmhmm:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds like I'll be giving ffmpeg and mplayer a shot then.

I wasn't sure if it would take v4l input but it looks like it will. Thanks very much :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I can't remember the right terminology here...

I have a linux (Ubuntu) machine running X11. I also have a Windows 7 machine. Both are on the same network. Isn't there some X11 thingamajig that forwards GUI applications on the Linux box to my Windows computer?

I'm not talking about VNC, but I swear I've read articles before about doing...something...to forward just the interface of individual apps.

It's too much of a pain to set up the dev environment I need on my Windows machine, so it would be sweet if I could run PyCharm on the Linux machine with the appropriate virtualenv and all the python packages I need and then just use the interface of PyCharm running on the linux machine on my Windows box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Are you thinking of NX? http://www.nomachine.com/ http://freenx.berlios.de/

You can also run an X server on your windows machine (typ. through a cygwin install) and forward X connections to it. Putty can forward X connections.