Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

RoryGilmore posted:

So, I just started photography and began with a film camera. My first 2-3 rolls went fine and good, but my third roll was a major gently caress up. I released the film and started rewinding, and heard a snap. I took a peek inside in a dark room and the film did indeed break off, but the shutter (I think) was fine.

I took the camera to a photo lab, and they opened it up in a dark room and retrieved the (empty) canister, but didn't want to touch the film until I brought it to a repair shop. I went into the darkroom and got the film out myself, and when I took the camera out into the light, the shutter looked like this:

How would something like this even happen? The camera is special to me so I'm not going to toss it, but if it's going to be insanely expensive to repair then I'm not sure what I'll do.

Shutters (and page snypes) do not go quietly into the night. I think I saw this exact same thing when the shutter failed on a DSLR. They pretty much just explode sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

That is bizarre as gently caress. What camera was it? A nikon of some sort I'm guessing?

Either way, your best bet might just be to buy a new camera to use, 35mm cameras are cheap enough on ebay or here that it can be hard to justify the cost of fixing it, if the spare parts even exist to fix it.

Yeah, it's a Nikon FA. I was thinking that maybe the guy at the photo lab broke it when taking the canister out, or maybe the shutter went off while the film was broken inside and caused that to happen, I have no clue. It really sucks though :(

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

RoryGilmore posted:

Yeah, it's a Nikon FA. I was thinking that maybe the guy at the photo lab broke it when taking the canister out, or maybe the shutter went off while the film was broken inside and caused that to happen, I have no clue. It really sucks though :(

The latter sounds more likely to me, if something got into the shutter plane while it was open it could easily have ate poo poo when it tried to slam shut again.

Also, a quick look at ebay shows that it is possible to buy a replacement shutter, but it'd be cheaper to just buy a new FA.

rip titanium shutter blades.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Word

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Looks almost like an F3 from the viewfinder and knobs, that would be heartbreaking to happen to an F3 :(

edit-- whoops heh heh, didn't see there was another page...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Trying out some Pan F+

Stones by alkanphel, on Flickr

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

The latter sounds more likely to me, if something got into the shutter plane while it was open it could easily have ate poo poo when it tried to slam shut again.

Also, a quick look at ebay shows that it is possible to buy a replacement shutter, but it'd be cheaper to just buy a new FA.

Yeah I just got quoted for 100-125$ for the repair, and I think I can just buy a new FA off ebay for the same price (if not cheaper).

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

RoryGilmore posted:

So, I just started photography and began with a film camera. My first 2-3 rolls went fine and good, but my third roll was a major gently caress up. I released the film and started rewinding, and heard a snap. I took a peek inside in a dark room and the film did indeed break off, but the shutter (I think) was fine.

I took the camera to a photo lab, and they opened it up in a dark room and retrieved the (empty) canister, but didn't want to touch the film until I brought it to a repair shop. I went into the darkroom and got the film out myself, and when I took the camera out into the light, the shutter looked like this:

How would something like this even happen? The camera is special to me so I'm not going to toss it, but if it's going to be insanely expensive to repair then I'm not sure what I'll do.

Nooo! That's one of the ones with the honeycomb shutter. I wish my FM2 had one.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

I still hang my colour films, I want to avoid them sticking together and get the curl out of the film.

With the stabilizer dilution I had the same issue, I've been using the Rollei Digibase kit, and the stabilizer was far too concentrated. It ended up with it almost looking like I'd sprayed milk on my film while I was trying to dry it. So go with the bottle instructions, plus it sounds like you'd end up less stabilizer solution than you need with the PDF instructions too.

Thanks Spedman, I ended up diluting the stab to 3% and keeping the film immersed but still as opposed to shaking the tank. This latter because I noticed stains formed where there was foam. Tomorrow I'll report my findings.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sea by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

HP5+ at 1600 is still good.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Nice, I'm a fan of HP5+ at 1600 too. It's what I used for

hp5021.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I've got a roll of 120 that I shot at 1600 still sitting on my desk waiting to be developed though.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

atomicthumbs posted:

This owns. What a sense of scale.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

maxmars posted:

Thanks Spedman, I ended up diluting the stab to 3% and keeping the film immersed but still as opposed to shaking the tank. This latter because I noticed stains formed where there was foam. Tomorrow I'll report my findings.

Glad I good help, did it all go well?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

I was out shooting this sunday, around the lake, and saw the same type of person - standing on a board and paddling. Wtf is this type of sport I don;t even know

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Santa is strapped posted:

I was out shooting this sunday, around the lake, and saw the same type of person - standing on a board and paddling. Wtf is this type of sport I don;t even know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand_up_paddle_surfing

It's actually pretty fun on a lake or calm river.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Oh, duh. Paddleboarding. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why jesus was mopping the ocean.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

UPS finally showed up :toot:

I went from that to this:

Someone tell me the cheapest place to send 120 film off to, tia.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Where can I send 35 mm to have it cheaply developed and scanned and just get a digital file back?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Where can I send 35 mm to have it cheaply developed and scanned and just get a digital file back?

If you don't want your negatives back you are objectively a bad person.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh I do, I just meant no prints. Sorry.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh I do, I just meant no prints. Sorry.

Oh well then send them to Citizens Photo in Portland they are cheap and a bunch of west coasters will vouch for their quality.
http://www.citizensphoto.com They charge $2.75 a roll to dev and it looks like $5 for small scans and $7.50 for 6mp equivalent. Frankly you should look into buying a scanner unless you are only gonna shoot a few rolls a year or something.

EDIT: It was pointed out to me that Citizens website doesn't actually say they do mail in processing. The way it works is you send them a box of film with a note in it for processing instructions and then call them to give them a credit card number to keep on file. They send the film back to you priority mail ($6 I think). They are really good about emailing you back if you have any actual questions for them about the process.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 17, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Gentle by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Shot on Ektachrome Elite 100, expired in the 90s. I wish I'd had the foresight to get some Portra 400 in 120 for this sunrise hike.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

Glad I good help, did it all go well?

Yeah, a concentration of 3% is where it's at. Have a look at this:

Fireworks over the castle di maxmars70, su Flickr

Pretty nice colors now aren't they? :) Fourth roll with the same 300ml of developer.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sweet colours, just keep an eye on your.negs for the next few rolls, make sure they're not getting too thin, also increase the dev time a little as it becomes more exhausted.

atomicthumbs posted:

Gentle by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Shot on Ektachrome Elite 100, expired in the 90s. I wish I'd had the foresight to get some Portra 400 in 120 for this sunrise hike.

Liking that atmosphere and grain.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just got a newsletter from Ag-Photographic, announcing a new developer. Spursinn HCD
They claim it can do insane pushing like Tri-X at 51200, or pull HP5 to 25. Sounds like something to try.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

They claim it can do insane pushing like Tri-X at 51200, or pull HP5 to 25.

:stare:
I'll wait for tests but :drat:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

nielsm posted:

Just got a newsletter from Ag-Photographic, announcing a new developer. Spursinn HCD
They claim it can do insane pushing like Tri-X at 51200, or pull HP5 to 25. Sounds like something to try.

Sweet

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

nielsm posted:

Sounds like they finally found out about Diafine :v:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

They mention Diafine in the email, and then say this will be the next cult developer.

Apparently the two part set comes with a booklet for all the developer combinations for nearly every film on the market. I might get some on my chemical order very soon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

nielsm posted:

HC-110 already does this. :colbert:

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:stare:
I'll wait for tests but :drat:

I do remember seeing an image floating around on the web where the guy reported using Tri-X and pushing it to (at least) 12800. It had a very long process time - and he said something about agitating the mixture once every 10 minutes or so? I am lamenting the fact that I did not save it at the time.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Well this is the first thing that comes to mind:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal/discuss/72157608203774894/

A few images down there's a medium format Tri-X shot at EI 25,600.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Just developed some decade old film
kodak 125px

img002 by patnumber8, on Flickr

kodak p3200tmz (this is probably the least grainy shot on the whole roll)

img020 by patnumber8, on Flickr

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
I'm getting ready to develop my own film for the first time ever in the next week or so, but I've got a question. All the times I've seen for my films (Tri-X, Acros, Pan F) and developer (HC-110) in my first cursory research are under five minutes. Can I just halve the concentration from 1:31 to 1:63 and double the time? Do I need to adjust agitation? Any other tips?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

JSW2 posted:

I'm getting ready to develop my own film for the first time ever in the next week or so, but I've got a question. All the times I've seen for my films (Tri-X, Acros, Pan F) and developer (HC-110) are under five minutes. Can I just halve the concentration from 1:31 to 1:63 and double the time? Do I need to adjust agitation? Any other tips?

If you halve the concentration and double the time you'll be fine. I normally agitate the same either way (although make sure whatever concentration you use there's at least 6ml of developer in it for each roll, even it means mixing more working solution)

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ is a pretty good resource when using hc110.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

If you halve the concentration and double the time you'll be fine. I normally agitate the same either way (although make sure whatever concentration you use there's at least 6ml of developer in it for each roll, even it means mixing more working solution)

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ is a pretty good resource when using hc110.

Great, I'll do just that. Thanks for the link too.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Here's a lomography film that I don't hate: Fuji RMS 100/1000, shot at ISO 100.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It looks a little magenta to me, and the blacks don't look black. (Unless thats what you were going for, not that I want to see the histogram or anything).

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Developed my first roll of black and white last night and all the images came out very flat and grey. I'm thinking the chemicals might have been too cold, would this cause something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Cold chemicals will cause underdevelopment. Have you scanned any of them? Flat negs really aren't the worst thing. You can always bump contrast in post, removing it is a pain.