Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tarzanspuma posted:

How does that thing compare to the first gen?

Honestly, feels exactly the same. Only difference is how it looks. You might be able to pick some things up if you ride them back to back but other than that... nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Man, that's a pretty bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Honestly, feels exactly the same. Only difference is how it looks. You might be able to pick some things up if you ride them back to back but other than that... nope.

Honesty is a rare thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

One of Aprilia's many quirks is that they almost never do major tech refreshes at the same time as they do cosmetic refreshes, so it probably isn't actually that different (assuming you went last-gen Mille-derived to first-year 1000-derived, which I *think* that is). Now the year after that there were some big changes (they stopped detuning the motor for a start) but the wonders of Aprilia part sourcing meant that the "older" bikes were still being sold for like two or three years after the refresh.

Oh yeah and there's another wonder right there - to signal the big refresh of their flagship model they changed the name from "Mille" - Italian for a thousand - to "1000". This after five years of people calling the Mille the RSV1000 because Latinate pronunciation scares our Anglo-Saxon brains. Oh and they sold the two models side-by-side officially for two years.

:italy:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I'm doing a clip-on and street fighter nose conversion.

And I'm fabbing up headers and intake plenum to support a Garrett GT1241 running at around 8 PSI.

:suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Hahaha yes! Turbocharged Ducati, excellent. Make a thread.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is ambitious! Please tell us more. Boosted bikes are like unicorns and I can't even imagine if they handle worse or whatever but I love the idea of it. Why are you switching to clipons? Isn't the normal "streetfighter" thing to have upright bars, which you already have? That looks like a monster, too, which is already a streetfighter?

Either way, god's work, etc.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Please just "convert" to a different handlebar if you're putting a turbo on it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Coydog posted:

That is ambitious! Please tell us more. Boosted bikes are like unicorns and I can't even imagine if they handle worse or whatever but I love the idea of it.
Most turbo bikes are either race bikes, designated garage queens or fall apart quickly enough to be seen in public regularly.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Z3n posted:

Hahaha yes! Turbocharged Ducati, excellent. Make a thread.

Right-o. Will do. :)

Coydog posted:

That is ambitious! Please tell us more. Boosted bikes are like unicorns and I can't even imagine if they handle worse or whatever but I love the idea of it. Why are you switching to clipons? Isn't the normal "streetfighter" thing to have upright bars, which you already have? That looks like a monster, too, which is already a streetfighter?

Either way, god's work, etc.

I suppose you could make a boosted bike handle poorly, but in this case - unless my math is really wrong - the bike is going to be around 20 lbs lighter than stock, and due to properly-sized turbine selection shouldn't be laggy (I expect to see some boost from 3k5 RPM, and full boost at 5k5 RPM). You know, in theory. We'll see how it goes in practice.

The Monster is technically a naked bike, not a streetfighter (Ducati's streetfighter is called, imaginatively, the Ducati Streetfighter); yes, streetfighters typically have upright bars, but I want the streetfighter face (i.e. not a classic single-lamp street bike) with clip-ons - I already have the rearsets - and classic, analog gauges ala café bikes. It's going to be a bit of an odd duck, but it will look exactly the way I want, with exactly the amount of power I want (~120HP). So gently caress it. :)

Yerok posted:

Please just "convert" to a different handlebar if you're putting a turbo on it.

Hmm. Food for thought. :)

Nitrox posted:

Most turbo bikes are either race bikes, designated garage queens or fall apart quickly enough to be seen in public regularly.

Yup.

I'm planning to commute on this one, so I'm not doing your standard "300HP drag bike with stretched swingarm" or "bodged together in my shed out of poo poo I had lying around" project. Hoping to have it out quite regularly. But I guess we'll see!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

Front rotor carriers need to be black and the mirrors need to go away. :v:

If they need a home...

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Nitrox posted:

The rest of the gallery looks cool. Did you get rid of the ktm?

I did. Most of my riding is long distance two-up, with fire roads and trails mixed in along the way, and the KTM was wasted doing that. The S10 is a seriously comfortable bike that's capable (enough for my skill level/comfort) off-road, with a flat passenger seat. Not to mention Yamaha service intervals, part prices, and dealership availability is miles ahead of KTM and will be for the foreseeable future. One day, when money is no longer a problem (aka never), I will be back on a KTM. Until then, the S10 kicks rear end.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

JohnnyDangerously posted:

Not to mention Yamaha service intervals, part prices, and dealership availability is miles ahead of KTM and will be for the foreseeable future. One day, when money is no longer a problem (aka never), I will be back on a KTM. Until then, the S10 kicks rear end.

Amen to that.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I did something stupid. I bought a broken motorcycle. A 2005 Suzuki M50 to be exact. Broken because the engine is shot. How shot? Upon further review, very. So far the diagnosis is snapped connecting rod. Not sure how much damage has been done and if it is salvageable or just going to become "art". "Running" engines on eBay are often cheaper than what it would take to fix this one.

So, what is the plan? Probably buy a replacement engine off eBay and get it running again. I'm working at a motorcycle shop in SoCal so I have access to everything I need to do it without buying much else.

It already has some things I would have upgraded anyways, a Mustang seat, power commander. It also has some things that will need to be disappeared, the grips, the mirrors. It is really low and feels really comfortable and I was able to ride one a few weeks ago when a customer brought one in for an oil change and new tires. Not bad.

Once I get it running again, I'll sell the reliable Sportster and use that money to upgrade to a better reliable bike.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Current bike status

Dead
(Crankshaft explosion from what sounded like)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How fast were you going? I assume it didn't seize and lock the wheel judging by it not being smeared over several hundred metres.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Probably like 30mph, it was missfiring badly and sounded like a grinder in the engine.

It just gave out and started bleeding oil.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:rip:

You going to try for a repair or scrap it and get something new?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I may as well get something new.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Current bike status

Dead
(Crankshaft explosion from what sounded like)

Where's the oil coming from? That would be a good place to start the diagnosis.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

Where's the oil coming from? That would be a good place to start the diagnosis.

Is this a speed hole for my engine?????

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wow, yep. That looks like a broken crankshaft or some other thing worthy of the AI Horrible Mechanical Failures thread. What year is your bike? That's not exactly a common failure mode in street-driven vehicles, so I wonder if it was some kind of manufacturing flaw.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

Wow, yep. That looks like a broken crankshaft or some other thing worthy of the AI Horrible Mechanical Failures thread. What year is your bike? That's not exactly a common failure mode in street-driven vehicles, so I wonder if it was some kind of manufacturing flaw.

2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100.

Honestly the thing that's stressing me out is how do I get rid of it in the bay area.

Z-(three)-N do ya want a bike, imma give it ta ya!!! :v:

Edit: Also deciding what bike to get...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100.

Honestly the thing that's stressing me out is how do I get rid of it in the bay area.

Remove plates, file off VIN. Leave it where it is. :v:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Finally washed it after riding through the rain

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

El Jebus posted:

I did something stupid. I bought a broken motorcycle. A 2005 Suzuki M50 to be exact. Broken because the engine is shot. How shot? Upon further review, very. So far the diagnosis is snapped connecting rod. Not sure how much damage has been done and if it is salvageable or just going to become "art". "Running" engines on eBay are often cheaper than what it would take to fix this one.

So, what is the plan? Probably buy a replacement engine off eBay and get it running again. I'm working at a motorcycle shop in SoCal so I have access to everything I need to do it without buying much else.

It already has some things I would have upgraded anyways, a Mustang seat, power commander. It also has some things that will need to be disappeared, the grips, the mirrors. It is really low and feels really comfortable and I was able to ride one a few weeks ago when a customer brought one in for an oil change and new tires. Not bad.

Once I get it running again, I'll sell the reliable Sportster and use that money to upgrade to a better reliable bike.

I will never get cruisers. Upside down forks in the front, drum brake out back :wtc:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

No. 6 posted:

Finally washed it after riding through the rain

Love that bike - how does it ride?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

2000 Kawasaki ZRX 1100.

Z-(three)-N do ya want a bike, imma give it ta ya!!! :v:

Edit: Also deciding what bike to get...

I have a 60k mile ZRX1200 engine with a bad 3rd gear sitting in the garage, you could buy that for, uh, let's say 100 bucks and put it in. If you wanted to go hardcore about it, you could split the cases, swap in your transmission, and take care of basics like rings and such while it was apart :)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I can barely do basics in here, much less an engine swap :(

If you know any ways i can (legaly) get rid of it, please pm me.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

I can barely do basics in here, much less an engine swap :(

If you know any ways i can (legaly) get rid of it, please pm me.

Call a scrap yard and see if they'll take it for the towing fee?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

List it on Craigslist for ~500, someone will buy it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Z3n posted:

I have a 60k mile ZRX1200 engine with a bad 3rd gear sitting in the garage, you could buy that for, uh, let's say 100 bucks and put it in. If you wanted to go hardcore about it, you could split the cases, swap in your transmission, and take care of basics like rings and such while it was apart :)
I think he's implying that you should take that bike off his hands. Sounds like you can make use of it

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will never get cruisers. Upside down forks in the front, drum brake out back :wtc:

You say that as if the rear brake needs to do something.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

You say that as if the rear brake needs to do something.

An engine breaking man. Very smart.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

builds character posted:

An engine breaking man. Very smart.

Ah, so that explains the current engine condition.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The idea of just sending a nice looking ZRX like that to the scrapyard is saddening. There aren't THAT many of them left out there. I like z3n's proposition , but only because I don't have to do the work.

This bike has always looked better than it has any right to. Love how neatly the air intake routes into the cylinder, followed by the exhaust snaking out the other side . I saw/heard the rare one last year downtown. The sound echoing off of the buildings was something to behold.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

The sound echoing off of the buildings was something to behold.

Surely, you jest. Those boxers sound like the love child of a sewing machine and a Miata.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

I like z3n's proposition , but only because I don't have to do the work.

Me too. I'll take that bike, and I'll buy the engine. Everyone wins!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Coydog posted:

The idea of just sending a nice looking ZRX like that to the scrapyard is saddening. There aren't THAT many of them left out there. I like z3n's proposition , but only because I don't have to do the work.

I don't like it either but if i could i would but i can't so i wont. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Me too. I'll take that bike, and I'll buy the engine. Everyone wins!

If I had a truck I could throw that ZRX in, I'd already be on my way down to Cali with a fistful of $100s and $20s to buy it.

It's a ZRX, it's CA's duty to see it remain in goon hands.