Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

darkhand posted:

Set your monk as your main, use his window the most.
Setup in game macros for targeting monk, following monk, assisting monk, at the very least, on your shaman.

Now setup keybinds in isboxer with shaman client as the target. I use numpad keys, like numpad_1 to follow. Then tell isboxer the keybind for the in game macro to send. "Follow monk" might be like alt+0 on shaman screen, but you want the virtual key to map numpad_1 on any screen to tell the shaman to do something. If that makes sense.

Like numpad1 -> isboxer sends alt0 to shaman client -> eq does follow macro.

That's like a good 70% the boxing. Do the same for all the spell gems.
You can even remap like tilde to switch windows faster

Awesome thanks! Sincerely appreciate the advice.

Trip report: I made my way to Castle Mistmoore without issue via PoK. I've been camping the entrance for about 2.5 hours now and I'm level 28 already!?! XP has been flying (this is on Test, so 100% extra xp).

Monk/Shaman is crazy fun. Seriously, if you have been on the fence, please try this or another multi-box out. I haven't played EQ in 10+ years and it is so much fun! I still barely know what to do with my duo, but I am able to consistently pull mobs by the entrance. It really is worthwhile to box and I'm doing it in the most pain in the rear end way. Once I get isboxer setup, such as darkhand posted above, I can tell it will be so much easier to move into zones. I can't wait to learn how to properly pull/split with my Monk. Plus, I always loved buffs and Shaman can buff up the monk a bunch!

The only thing I would change is I named my Shaman Cylderone and my Monk Cyldertwo. That is really confusing and I wish I would have named them CylderShaman/CylderMonk or something to easily tell who I'm targeting etc.

If anyone is on Test come by and say hi, I should be on for a few more hours.

Edit: 29 now!

Essential fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Honestly even without isboxer shaman are a pretty braindead box. You can box one with pretty decent efficiency with like 4-5 regular use socials and a few 'oh poo poo' buttons.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Essential posted:

Can someone please explain to me the "In Combat" regen? I used to kite by DoT'ing, then run/med, run/med, run/med, but it appears that doesn't work anymore? What are ways to increase the in combat mana regen? Buffs? Items?

Out of combat regen/medding seems to be pretty fast so I'm tempted to really give this a go if I don't have to sit on my rear end medding all day.
Regen works like this:

Hitpoints:
You have your innate / racial regen, which depends on whether you're sitting on standing. This starts out at like 1 standing / 2 sitting, then increases sloooooowly, at level 60 it's something in the area of 6 standing / 12 sitting. Trolls and Iksars have approximately double the regen.
Next, there is worn regen, that comes from items with the "HP Regen" stat
Next, spell regen from buffs and clickies. At higher levels, regeneration spells can give over 500 hp / tick regen.
Finally, AAs can give extra regen

On top of this, there is the out-of-combat regen, which requires you to go be out of combat and sitting, and allows you to regen to full within a few minutes.

Innate regen was a huge deal back in the old times, and the extra regen on a Troll and Iksar was very noticable, and a reason people specifically chose those races for their character. These days where spell and item regen outnumbers the basic regen by a factor 10-20, it doesn't matter one bit.

Mana:
I don't think there is any innate regen technically, but all classes with the Meditate skill start out with 1 point / tick regen. You can tell this from Bards, who have a fixed 1 Meditate skill (unless they changed it recently) and regen mana at base rate of 1 / tick. Casters who can skill up Meditate will get more and more regen per tick, increased greatly by sitting
Sitting on a horse is like sitting down, allowing you to run around and meditate. This was a huge deal back when it horses came out (Luclin) and mana regen was still a big deal
Like with HP regen, there are items, AAs, buffs and clickies that increase mana regen. In Velious the big news for casters were items with the Flowing Thought effect, which these days is just called Mana Regen, and is part of the slew of stats found on all modern items.

Furthermore, out-of-combat regen also massively boosts mana regen.

Endurance:
The modern version of the ancient Stamina stat (yellow bar that was used when you jumped), only relevant for melee classes, and particularly for Monks, Rogues and Berserkers who use it as a form of mana for disciplines and lots of special abilities. The regen works a bit in the same fashion as mana, and there are also AAs that can make it regen faster, or give a one-time portion of Endurance.

The run/med tactic still works. HP and mana is regenned every tick (6 seconds), and only precisely when the "clock" hits the 6 second mark is the regen received, and the check for whether you're sitting or not is done. You can see how it works by watching your inventory and see the HP/Mana tick up. It's confusing though, because since the client/server model is so antiquated, the HP/Mana jumps up, then is adjusted down a second or two later, because the client/server is not so well in sync or something. You can see the 6-second ticks in action, though. This is why you can run, do a well-timed sit for a second, get your increased regen, then get up and run again to kite. However, since mana is plentiful and the extra regen received from sitting is dwarfed by all the other regen you have, there is no need to do this anymore, particularly not if you're on a mount (counts as always sitting), so forget it. :) Just run around and do your thing.

Personally I also find mounts infuriation to use, due to the slow acceleration/decelleration. It's insufferable and unnecessary on a melee class, but pretty nice for boxed casters, since it allows then to get out-of-combat regen all the time when you're doing the camp and pull setup, where you park your boxes somewhere and pull with your main. If you're soloing on a caster, I would forego mounts and just sit down now and then, and of course utilize all your spells and AAs that give mana boosts as much as possible.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Essential posted:

Actually I'm playing on Test, mostly for the double experience. Thanks for the advice on mana/medding.

I decided to try boxing and I'm going to run the Monk/Shaman combo. I downloaded ISBoxer, created a Monk and Shammy, /testbuffed them to 25, which also came with gear. So I think I'm good enough for level 25 now. I'm just not really sure what to do, I've never played either class. With Monk, is it just auto-attack plus Dragon Punch? How about Shaman? I noticed I have a bunch of buffs, I'm assuming I should use them all on the Monk. Then Slow/DoT the mob?

Any advice on how to use ISBoxer would be really appreciated as well. I have the basics setup, I can log into both characters and have 2 windows, but I have no idea how to setup auto-keys or whatever. I'm assuming I should have a cast button for the shaman that casts slow, then dot's. One for casting all buffs would be nice too. Over the next few days I'll read up as much as I can on ISBoxer and how to get a basic 2 box setup going. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. I won't be adding Mercs until I get the hang of both these classes plus boxing them.

For the sake of an old school experience I'm going to Mistmoore to level to 30 (saw that in the OP, thanks!).

Essential posted:

Awesome thanks! Sincerely appreciate the advice.

Trip report: I made my way to Castle Mistmoore without issue via PoK. I've been camping the entrance for about 2.5 hours now and I'm level 28 already!?! XP has been flying (this is on Test, so 100% extra xp).

Monk/Shaman is crazy fun. Seriously, if you have been on the fence, please try this or another multi-box out. I haven't played EQ in 10+ years and it is so much fun! I still barely know what to do with my duo, but I am able to consistently pull mobs by the entrance. It really is worthwhile to box and I'm doing it in the most pain in the rear end way. Once I get isboxer setup, such as darkhand posted above, I can tell it will be so much easier to move into zones. I can't wait to learn how to properly pull/split with my Monk. Plus, I always loved buffs and Shaman can buff up the monk a bunch!

The only thing I would change is I named my Shaman Cylderone and my Monk Cyldertwo. That is really confusing and I wish I would have named them CylderShaman/CylderMonk or something to easily tell who I'm targeting etc.

If anyone is on Test come by and say hi, I should be on for a few more hours.

Edit: 29 now!
2.5 hours for 3 levels? That's slow ;). But don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.

Are you using mercenaries? They will make the XP fly, and makes it easy and safe to get started. You should hire a healer mercenary on the Monk and a tank mercenary on the Shaman. It should be that way, since the Monk is more mobile and better at getting corpses, and he needs the healing and resurrection capabilities of the merc. The mercs will keep you safe and allow you to focus on pulling, doing damage and re-learning the ropes.

How to play Monk: for the first ~60 levels or so, correct, it is just auto-attack and whatever special attack is current. I assume you're level 30 by now, so your biggest special attack is Flying Kick. Use only that, and ignore the older Dragon Punch, Round Kick and such, they are ancient and were only relevant like 15 years ago. In your 50's you will get some basic disciplines ("spells" for Monks), some of which are crap, some of which are godly. Look up your skills at Zam and see what they do. At level 61 you will get your first short-time reuse offensive ability called Leopard Claw, which does a little 800 point nuke at the mob you're targeting. It's not that much damage, but it's fun acting like a wizard and toss it out. :) You will notice that you end up depleting your Endurance though, so you can't spam it forever.

At level 69 you get a upgrade to the nuke, and at level 74 you get Clawstriker's Flurry, which is your first big noticable offensive attack, and can do a few thousand damage I think. From here on, you regularly get some nice abilities, and also paired with some very nice AAs. Offensive spells and AAs come in a few flavors, such as short-time reuse nukes, medium-time reuse buffs that increase your offense, and very powerful long-time reuse offensive buffs that make you go apeshit for like 30 seconds. At level 80+ you are actually spamming buttons quite a lot during combat, far from the old days of pressing one button every 10 seconds. You will also weigh the use of your buffs according to what you're fighting, watching timers, etc.

How to play Shaman: Assuming you hired mercenaries, you don't really need to do much. Even if you're playing without mercs, don't bother slowing, mobs die too quickly, and dots aren't worth the mana either at low levels, and hardly so at higher levels either to be honest, not until you get the so-called Fast DoTs that do a truckload of damage over just 12 seconds.

Keep an eye on the monk if the healer merc spazzes out or dies.

The most important thing you do is to keep your Monk buffed with Haste, Spirit of Wolf and Regeneration, buff with the AC/HP buffs you have, and later on, special attack/offense/defense buffs such as Spirit of the Puma. It gets easier to buff as you level - buffs last longer and are group-wide. Shamans can't snare, so the best he can do is have a nuke ready to finish off runners. Don't bother with the little dog pet for additional damage, it is not worth the time you spend managing it, pulling it off mobs, moving it, dealing with it dying and re-casting it, and all that. I only use it at my level 100 Shaman when putzing around killing old world mobs, where it's nice to be able to smash a low-level mob instantly mana-free by making the dog attack.

ISBoxer takes a while to learn. Try to look online for guides on how to setup the basic hotkeys. The most valuable thing about ISBoxer is its ability to send a command to another window, making your Shaman cast a spell or do something while you just play your monk.

I have written a few guides for making hotkeys here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&userid=31831&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post454806397
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472675&userid=31831&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post454862139

Also, here is a writeup I did a while ago on useful basic hotkeys I use:

- All follow: Make a hotkey on each of your box chars that does:

/pause 5, /target Yourmain
/follow

Bind it to the same key on all boxes, then make an ISBoxer macro that sends that hotkey to "All w/o current". Adjust the /pause 5 for lag, maybe 3 is enough.

- An "all assist main" macro. Same vein as above, the macro is just /rear end Yourmain, making your boxes assist you.

- All stop following: Make a hotkey that sends "a" - or whatever your turn left (or right if you want) is bound to on all your boxes. Check the checkbox on the hotkey that indicates that the hotkey is held on the boxes when you hold it. Turning just for a split second makes follow stop working, and is really nice for "parking" your boxes while you go pull or explore on your main. You can use the same hotkey for making your boxes turn around on the spot if needed, by holding down the key.

- A "go nuts" hotkey that makes all your boxes enter their common DPS routine. Basically I have a macro mapped to Shift+1 on all my boxes that begins their dps cycle, each begin with an /assist me line. My shaman dots, wizard nukes, and ranger autofires and does some nukes. I then have one ISBoxer key bound to broadcasting Shift+1 to all boxes. Having to only hit one key per mob, barring cooldowns, is really nice and easy.

- A hotkey that pops the epic 1.5/2.0 on all boxes. Usually doesn't hurt to fire them off all at once. You can do the same with chest clickies and such. Note: Don't bind a clickie to Alt+<something>, as that attemps to open the menu for the hotkey'd clickie and thus doesn't actually click it. Stick to Shift or Ctrl as modifiers.

- Specific hotkeys for super cooldowns on the boxes, like improved twincast, trueshot discipline, ranger group buffs, shaman puma line, you name it.

- A big macro that casts group invis, group speed buff, group lev and or whatever you like. Nice for travel.

Another tip: Use key broadcasting (click the greyed out "A <> Z" button icon in the top left overlay) to speed up accepting and turning in quests on multiple characters. Setup your UIs exactly alike so you can also use it to broadcast clicking, like all clicking Lesson at the same time, or accepting a quest reward. For example, you can turn on hotkey broadcasting, then make all your boxes do a hail and provoke quest dialogue at the same time. I do this to get 4 daily quests at once in PoK for example.

Also a final note: I usually have "/g Soandso done" line at the end of my box macros, if there's room. For example my shaman's cannibalize macro:

/pause 40, /alt activate 47
/g Canni done

This makes it easy to see when the box is done casting a certain spell and is able to receive some more commands. Note that the chat is over a second delayed through its roundtrip to the server and back to your main, so you can work on tweaking it to do the /g faster than the cast time of the ability/spell.

It's a fun little game-in-game to tweak and optimize macros, and something you should review every few months or so. Basically every time you regularly alt-tab to your box to do something, stop and think - could this be automated with a hotkey?

Ask away if you have questions.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Alright so I'm using that Almar guide you guys linked to level them and then I get to Research and suddenly at 54-102 it starts taking 150pp per combine? That can't be right can it?

http://almarsguides.com/eq/Tradeskills/progression/research/

I'm a priest if it matters. What should I be using to get up to 150-200?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Use the ISBoxer Pro System: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cONmD2E69nA

That's the first of a series of videos on the system. It is very complex, took me a few hours to setup the first time but once I had it figured out it was easy to tweak the system, add characters, etc. I'd probably add a 3rd character to your shaman and monk as the pro system will make it easy to manage. Also, if you can combine razer or Logitech software to do things like key repeaters and multi-key macros you can get to the point where the group is nearly fully automated.

Also, look up mutibinding and use it for any caster or priest boxes you have.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Counterpoint: if you have 2 monitors and don't want to box more than 3 characters you probably don't need to mess with ISBoxer.

E: not saying it isn't useful just potentially not worth the hassle.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Love Crime posted:

Alright so I'm using that Almar guide you guys linked to level them and then I get to Research and suddenly at 54-102 it starts taking 150pp per combine? That can't be right can it?

http://almarsguides.com/eq/Tradeskills/progression/research/

I'm a priest if it matters. What should I be using to get up to 150-200?

Welcome to EQ ;). Research is ridiculous and sure it sounds reasonable that it gets outlandishly expensive. You can do your best to dig through http://eqtraders.com/ for alternatives, but they are likely to require farming beyond belief, compared to the vendor-friendly recipes he lists.

suuma posted:

Counterpoint: if you have 2 monitors and don't want to box more than 3 characters you probably don't need to mess with ISBoxer.

E: not saying it isn't useful just potentially not worth the hassle.
I personally think it's worth it from 2 characters and up, or heck even 1 actually. The way ISBoxer can make EQ run in full-screen Windowed mode is great, and furthermore it allows you to alt-tab between EQ and other windows while the game is halted (loading, camping, logging in, etc.). At least for me, my computer is just completely frozen when a default EQ window is switching zones, which sucks.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I've made my monk on Phinny (Dakkith) and reached level 23. A huge thanks for Hoohah helping me out with some starter gear and making this go so fast!!

If anyone has characters in their 20s and would like to group (EU evening times especially) please let me know. Would love to run with Goons in some dungeons.

Leveling Plans (please offer input/corrections as this based on no Luclin knowledge and P99 ZEMs):
Mid-20s: SolA (gnomes especially)
High-20 to 30s: LGuk
Mid-30s to 42?: CoM

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Would the use of Sharemouse be allowed on Phinigel?
This program shares my mouse and keyboard inputs over the two different computers. Nothing is automated or duplicated. The inputs only arrive on the computer on which my cursor is on at the moment.

I would only do this so I don't need a separate mouse and keyboard for my two accounts.

About the plat prices : if EQ did one thing well in the early expansions, was introducing enough plat sinks. Inflation was reasonably low as plat was used for so many different things. I imagine on live things are so much worse after almost two decades of farming.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Evernoob posted:

This program shares my mouse and keyboard inputs over the two different computers. Nothing is automated or duplicated. The inputs only arrive on the computer on which my cursor is on at the moment.

I would only do this so I don't need a separate mouse and keyboard for my two accounts.

No, nothing like that is allowed.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

About the plat prices : if EQ did one thing well in the early expansions, was introducing enough plat sinks. Inflation was reasonably low as plat was used for so many different things. I imagine on live things are so much worse after almost two decades of farming.
Yeah it's pretty easy to rake in the cash, just playing casually for a few months and you should have hundreds of thousands of plat on Live if you spend frugally. They never evolved the the nasty trend of certain old spells having reagents, so there's not much to spend cash on regularly other than mercenaries (100p / 15 minutes), and your own OCD for grinding tradeskills and buying drops from other players.

A few years ago they introduced an alternate currency called the Noble, which can be bought and sold for 100,000 platinum. On top of this, they made a new NPC who sells ancient no-longer-drop items for up to over 100 of these Nobles a piece, or rather 10 million platinum. That says a bit about the current amount of plat people have. However, rest assured that there is still a fair playing field for regular players who haven't grinded for 15 years straight. Just 100k platinum even at level 100 will you get you fully geared with modern, cheap tradeskilled and dropped items.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Playing a Ranger in Luclin has been one of the funniest EQ experiences I've ever had. Shutting up people who talked poo poo about ranger DPS by demolishing them on meters is hilarious. Also crushing the meters is awesome in its own right, and I didn't even have an ideal group setup.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I never really understood why a level cap increase is necessary in a game like EQ.
I just joined the server and I fear I won't have much time to enjoy the prime grouping era of the game (Kunark/Velious/Luclin all at the same level cap)

To me all it does is being a gear reset for anything but utility items (clickies) and making sure old raiding or grouping content becomes either completely obsolete or solo farmable (making sure all the drops there become worthless).

If they don't increase the level cap, but do increase the difficulty of the mobs all the required power increase would have to come from either more AA's (which is a soft level cap) or more powerful gear.
At some point i can imagine creating more powerful gear would also get ridiculous (an earring with 1000HP/Mana...).

Then again, players always need that carrot to chase. An incentive to raid.
What other mechanic could keep players hooked long enough to keep playing and buying an expansion?

(DaoC never increased their level cap, and gear was also somewhat capped... but they were balanced around RvR which was the final endgame. In EQ PVE raids are the endgame)

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Evernoob posted:

This isn't "allowed" but there's nothing they can do to stop you from using it. EverQuest doesn't have a version of WoW's Warden to prevent you from using third party stuff, or macroquest2 would never be a thing.

Their rules say no third party programs whatsoever. I can tell you from 3 months of experience using a triple combination of other things to increase capability, they don't give a poo poo what you use, because they've put in protections on some of it (the 'truebox' code will knock all of your characters offline instantly if you hit too many keys across too many accounts at once) and because for a month when eqmule relented and let macroquest2 work on Phinigel, the only person they banned was someone using it to play 30 characters at once and monopolizing Lower Guk for a week straight.

Just be aware that if you demonstrate great competency with your setup across multiple characters, you'll get accused by morons of using MQ2 (it's possible to do so, just not from the main developer) or other stuff. Just ignore them. You have to be doing something so obviously ridiculous or AFK farming something (they'll snipe you for that very fast) to even get a suspension. Even then, I've seen multi-boxing crews with great skill across multiple guilds, most prevalent in AoS where I saw a druid/mage/3 monk combo where the monks never stopped spamming their epics because the guy forgot to turn something off after a fight (or just never turns it off period).

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Fantastic info...

Krycek posted:

Good info...

Pilsner, thanks so much for all the info! Very appreciated! I'm going to grab the 2 mercs like you suggested. Hopefully I can afford to keep them up. I think once I get rolling I'll make enough to keep them up.

Krycek mentioned possibly grabbing a 3rd class. At that point I could get a 3rd merc and would have a full group. That's kind of tempting. What would be the ideal class to go with Monk/Shaman? I'm thinking a caster that can port would be nice. I have a Shaman so would a Wizard make more sense than Druid? I don't know for sure yet that I'll grab a 3rd, I may even wait a bit until I get used to the 2 class + 2 merc system.

I had forgot that I was taking the family on vacation this week so probably no EQ until next week. It's kind of fun having that itch to play though!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mage, Wizard, or Bard would be nice.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'd go with an extra bard.
Melody for minimal amount of interaction required. TONS of utility. Emergency Mezzes.
The buffs stack well with shaman. Close to cap for monk and melee mercs
The closest thing to teleport (superfast travel).
Lastly you would have a Plate, Chain and Leather character. So you can split all the defiant drops you get.

If you don't get the bard go for a mage. This is a higher dps option. (Send pet and burn down when needed, not much more to it)

Apze
Jul 4, 2014

Hoohah posted:

This isn't "allowed" but there's nothing they can do to stop you from using it. EverQuest doesn't have a version of WoW's Warden to prevent you from using third party stuff, or macroquest2 would never be a thing.

Their rules say no third party programs whatsoever. I can tell you from 3 months of experience using a triple combination of other things to increase capability, they don't give a poo poo what you use, because they've put in protections on some of it (the 'truebox' code will knock all of your characters offline instantly if you hit too many keys across too many accounts at once) and because for a month when eqmule relented and let macroquest2 work on Phinigel, the only person they banned was someone using it to play 30 characters at once and monopolizing Lower Guk for a week straight.

Just be aware that if you demonstrate great competency with your setup across multiple characters, you'll get accused by morons of using MQ2 (it's possible to do so, just not from the main developer) or other stuff. Just ignore them. You have to be doing something so obviously ridiculous or AFK farming something (they'll snipe you for that very fast) to even get a suspension. Even then, I've seen multi-boxing crews with great skill across multiple guilds, most prevalent in AoS where I saw a druid/mage/3 monk combo where the monks never stopped spamming their epics because the guy forgot to turn something off after a fight (or just never turns it off period).

EQ does actually use a lovely warden-like capability, in that they detect loaded DLLs in the EQ client and theoretically will deal with it, but MQ2 hooks the call and gets around it.

I do agree that they do literally nothing about third party programs that don't hook the client though. Their anti-broadcast code is (as far as I can tell) a heuristic system that only detects hotkey presses and if it goes over a certain rate, kicks all characters from a single IP. A sidenote about this system, it will only ever kick you once per zone(ie pick), and it retains that even if you rezone, so if you feel like using a real key broadcaster, you can just get kicked once per zone and not care from that point forward (until that pick goes away, anyhow).

Basically everyone I know that boxes more than 3 or so uses synergy or similar, and they've been doing it since the server came out. I think they really only care that each client instance is running on its own hardware (but there's still VMs that work so go wild I guess?)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Essential posted:

Pilsner, thanks so much for all the info! Very appreciated! I'm going to grab the 2 mercs like you suggested. Hopefully I can afford to keep them up. I think once I get rolling I'll make enough to keep them up.

Krycek mentioned possibly grabbing a 3rd class. At that point I could get a 3rd merc and would have a full group. That's kind of tempting. What would be the ideal class to go with Monk/Shaman? I'm thinking a caster that can port would be nice. I have a Shaman so would a Wizard make more sense than Druid? I don't know for sure yet that I'll grab a 3rd, I may even wait a bit until I get used to the 2 class + 2 merc system.

I had forgot that I was taking the family on vacation this week so probably no EQ until next week. It's kind of fun having that itch to play though!
Hehe, it's tough to resist adding more boxes, I've been 4-boxing (with 2 mercs) for many years.

After the Shaman, there's no one class that provides obvious synergy with a Monk, but I would add a Wizard for the ports and easy extra damage. They're a bit dull and samey (just nukes), but the ports, evacs and succors are just amazing, even in modern EQ where transport is not so bad. It's kickass to be able to zip around the world, evac in dungeons, abuse succor points for cross-zone travel, etc. Wizards can also snare, root, invis, invis to undead, levitate, etc.

Tracking is really nice though, which is why I also have a Ranger. Good buffs, tracking, and I just like shooting arrows. :) Bards also have track, very good temporary (song) melee buffs, run speed, pull and corpse recovery, and other tricks up their sleeve.

A Druid would be a bad choice, as you say, because Shaman overlaps a Druid so much.

For now though, I would stick with your 2-box. The wizard will quite frankly just be extra baggage to lug around. When you're around level 70 or something, you can easily start up and power level an extra character.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Apze posted:

I do agree that they do literally nothing about third party programs that don't hook the client though. Their anti-broadcast code is (as far as I can tell) a heuristic system that only detects hotkey presses and if it goes over a certain rate, kicks all characters from a single IP. A sidenote about this system, it will only ever kick you once per zone(ie pick), and it retains that even if you rezone, so if you feel like using a real key broadcaster, you can just get kicked once per zone and not care from that point forward (until that pick goes away, anyhow).

Basically everyone I know that boxes more than 3 or so uses synergy or similar, and they've been doing it since the server came out. I think they really only care that each client instance is running on its own hardware (but there's still VMs that work so go wild I guess?)

The truebox kick is a tad more complicated than that, but you're essentially correct. Basically there are 'instance' boundaries, and crossing those resets the check, but if you get tagged by the truebox but then don't zone after you log back in, you won't get tagged again until you cross another boundary.

VMs are the one thing they come down on like the hammer of god for some reason, running EQ in a VM will get the account banned very fast, probably because you can gain some pretty detailed/in-depth control over your VM system that they don't want to deal with parsing correctly so they just ban you and be done with it. In fact, I strongly suspect that 30 boxer dude got banned for using VMs rather than using MQ.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I was hoping we'd get lucky and the 9 hour down time would be considerably shorter :smith:

I'm nostradamus because servers are back up early

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 19, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

With today's patch, I can't get past the launcher on Mac OS X/wineskin. Anyone else?

Game patches, I click PLAY, then crash before server select window. :(

Forum wizards help me pls

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
They just brought the servers down because a whole bunch of poo poo was hosed up, might be fixing your problem too

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Ha, glad I'm busy with work today so missing the patch day shenanigans.

Apze
Jul 4, 2014

Hoohah posted:

The truebox kick is a tad more complicated than that, but you're essentially correct. Basically there are 'instance' boundaries, and crossing those resets the check, but if you get tagged by the truebox but then don't zone after you log back in, you won't get tagged again until you cross another boundary.

Actually, the kick-check is definitely on a per-zone basis and is retained in whatever zone server they're using. Back when I multiboxed in a very naive way in Kunark, I'd jump Sebilis instances very regularly and get kicked within a minute or two. Once I got kicked from a given pick, I didn't have to worry about that pick basically until the server reset itself, despite cycling through all the instances (including gating and running all the boxes back from bind).

Hoohah posted:

VMs are the one thing they come down on like the hammer of god for some reason, running EQ in a VM will get the account banned very fast, probably because you can gain some pretty detailed/in-depth control over your VM system that they don't want to deal with parsing correctly so they just ban you and be done with it. In fact, I strongly suspect that 30 boxer dude got banned for using VMs rather than using MQ.

Ya, they'll ban you if they detect the VM. I've heard of a few workarounds people are using (for instance, I know the Win 10 Hyper-V worked through Kunark, but I never had a reason to use it myself so it may not now. Grain of salt, etc)

Apze fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 19, 2016

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Love Crime posted:

They just brought the servers down because a whole bunch of poo poo was hosed up, might be fixing your problem too

Nope. :(

Anyone else play on a mac and use wineskin?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Why do you own an Apple computer in TYOOL 2016.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

It's my computer at work, I'm allowed to run EQ but I can't install windows zzzz

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/live-players-please-read-we-need-more-players-on-test-this-week.235599/

Apparently they changed some graphics processing and that is likely the culprit. Unfortunately I don't know much about wineskin and just followed some tutorial for getting EQ to work so I wouldn't even know where to begin tweaking settings.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
I can confirm that they don't detect or care about anything that opens process memory for reading so they definitely aren't doing anything fancy for key multiplexing etc.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
The detection only triggers if too many inputs are sent to the server inside whatever threshold or window they have specified. It annoyed me enough I quit six boxing back in classic. I was using wireless numberpads to 5 crap tops with mages, and would truebox myself. Back then didn't figure out the once per zone thing but definitely triggered it manually a lot without auto hot key or similar stuff. Haven't had any issues since I cut down to three though, but also not doing much semi-simultaneous input anymore either.

Edit: I definitely truebox myself multiple times in the same zone in classic so maybe something they tweaked in kunark or velious.

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 20, 2016

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Alright, I definitely need some help pulling. I've got 4 corpses down in Mistmoore now.

I'm running with the mercs now. I have a healer merc for my monk and a tank merc for my shaman. When pulling I'm running into a couple issues. One is the healer merc follows me and aggros mobs, which sends the tank merc in and I'm swarmed with a quickness. Another issue is once the mob I'm pulling engages me, the tank merc goes rushing in and I'm now killing in a spot I don't want to. Then the mob runs when low on health and I'm again swarmed with mobs, or mobs pop or patrol close by and again I'm swarmed.

Is there a way to get the mercs to park their butts in one spot? Is that the correct way to do this? I still don't know how to separate mobs when pulling, so on some pulls I'm pulling 3 mobs. That is ok, as long as everything goes well and I get them back to where I want to fight them. Otherwise, it's just way too easy to get overwhelmed.

dabe
Nov 18, 2012
If you set your role in the party window to puller, the mercs will stay put. You'll have to run back to where they are before they hop in to help. If you're playing as a tank class, you can also set the role of the tank merc to be main tank and they should run around and aggro everything once you pull it back.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Yeah, flag your monk as "puller" and your tank merc as "group tank." Mistmoore has notoriously bad pathing so expect adds. As for the mechanics of actually pulling singles, and I'm sure other posters who have actually played monk can give better details, but I'm going to try to explain it broad strokes: you agro a group of mobs then flop around on the ground until (???) magic happens and you get a single to bring back to the group. Mob pathing is wonky such that when multiple mobs are chasing you and you feign death, they don't automatically turn around and walk back to their original position. Instead they will stare at you laying on the ground for a time before returning. Some will linger longer than others. When you have one straggler left, pop back up, tag the straggler and run back to the group. Basically you exploit the gently caress out of the poo poo pathing system.

I'm not sure what tools you have available to you as a lower level monk having never played monk (I've always played other pulling classes). I know higher level monks get an actual lull ability and some form of a mez ability. In the old days, I remember monks using their throwing weapon to tag mobs then FD. Tag, Fd, tag, FD until eventually you have the group of mobs split to the point that you can bring singles or at least a manageable number back to be killed.

Apze
Jul 4, 2014

Krazuel posted:

The detection only triggers if too many inputs are sent to the server inside whatever threshold or window they have specified. It annoyed me enough I quit six boxing back in classic. I was using wireless numberpads to 5 crap tops with mages, and would truebox myself. Back then didn't figure out the once per zone thing but definitely triggered it manually a lot without auto hot key or similar stuff. Haven't had any issues since I cut down to three though, but also not doing much semi-simultaneous input anymore either.

The actual way around this, if you feel like 6-boxing again, is to use a hotkey broadcaster that will type in commands for you as it doesn't even check on those.

Krazuel posted:

Edit: I definitely truebox myself multiple times in the same zone in classic so maybe something they tweaked in kunark or velious.

Ya, that might be the case, I didn't figure out the one-kick rule until Kunark for sure.

Apze fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 21, 2016

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

dabe posted:

mercs...

Krycek posted:

pulling...

Beautiful, thanks guys!

I do remember those merc settings from the tutorial, now that you mention it. Thanks for the reminder. I'll get it dialed in.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Is sneak splitting still a live mechanic? Used to be you could flop, hit sneak, wait til mobs were walking away (with their backs to you) and then tag one (assuming it's not in a pile) and as long as sneak stayed on (either you didn't get hit or break it yourself) the mobs walking back to their spawns would keep walking back. You have to be careful because breaking sneak will have them coming back to you, but that's what feign is for.

Otherwise you've got the Phantom line of disciplines which act as Lulls do. Use those on the mobs you want to split, then tag one and the others won't assist.

Also, get used to swapping stances on your mercs. Having them on passive will cause them to follow you into mobs, but mobs wont agro them and they won't assist you until you swap them out of passive. The easiest way is to hotkey passive and then another stance(Balanced?) and swap between the two when you intend to fight/pull.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Sneak splitting only works on p99 nowadays.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Essential posted:

Alright, I definitely need some help pulling. I've got 4 corpses down in Mistmoore now.

I'm running with the mercs now. I have a healer merc for my monk and a tank merc for my shaman. When pulling I'm running into a couple issues. One is the healer merc follows me and aggros mobs, which sends the tank merc in and I'm swarmed with a quickness. Another issue is once the mob I'm pulling engages me, the tank merc goes rushing in and I'm now killing in a spot I don't want to. Then the mob runs when low on health and I'm again swarmed with mobs, or mobs pop or patrol close by and again I'm swarmed.

Is there a way to get the mercs to park their butts in one spot? Is that the correct way to do this? I still don't know how to separate mobs when pulling, so on some pulls I'm pulling 3 mobs. That is ok, as long as everything goes well and I get them back to where I want to fight them. Otherwise, it's just way too easy to get overwhelmed.
Regarding the issue I highlighted in bold, you can't directly control your merc once he has mindlessly charged into the pack, but what you can do is toggle him to Passive stance, and he will return to his owner. As soon as the mobs have run after him (to your camp), set him to the Aggressive stance, and he will fight again. I have easily accessible hotkeys setup for changing my mercs into the most necessary stances. You can make the hotkeys in the merc window, select a stance, then click the Hotkey (or maybe it's called Make Hotkey) button.

Regarding pulling, you shouldn't really need to care much when you're covered by the death machine that is a low level tank merc. He should easily be able to handle 3, even 5 red con mobs, but at your level, you need to give him time to build up aggro before you engage, or mobs might turn to you. Around level 35-40 or so, mobs should stick to him like glue no matter what you do. An ancient basic strategy that people have been struggling with since 1999 is to simply pull far back, far away from nearby mobs, or you risk having "runners" (low health mob walking away) ruin you day as they attract new mobs. Always. Pull. Back. In Mistmoore, you should be able to "dungeon crawl" from the entrance to the castle, just setup camp first at the entrance, then stay there until you've cleared the first courtyard around the lake. Then move to the lake and start pulling the tunnel, repeat until after about 22 minutes where the mobs at the entrance will soon repop.

Krycek wrote the basics of monk splitting. It "exploits" (not really an exploit) the fact that after FD'ing, mobs forget you after a random amount of time after returning to their spawn spot. If you pull a mob, then FD a few seconds later, you will see it return to its spawn point, sometimes after hanging around for a bit. Once returned to its spawn point, it can either instantly forget you if you're lucky, or sometimes take over a minute to do so; it's just random. With lower level mobs you can often spam FD (stand up and immediately FD again; repeat) and each FD will give you a chance to be forgotten, even when the mob is chasing you. You can tell you've been forgotten by the message you get in the chat, and you will change to out of combat rest mode. Try going to an easy outdoors zone with some low level mobs and test it out. Get aggro, run and FD, stand up, FD again, and see how it works.

Furthermore, all mobs will 100% forget you after being FD for 2 minutes straight.

At higher levels, pulling becomes a piece of cake because you get two spells lines:

Phantom XXX / XXX Apparition line: This spell begins with level 35 Phantom Zephyr, then turns into level 76 Shimmering Silhouette, then is called XXX Apparition from level 81 and onwards. This is an AoE "lull", which makes mobs ignore you unless you get extremely close. It allows you to easily run close to them, and single-pull their nearby buddies.

Echo of XXX line (note: not the same as level 57 Phantom Echo): This is an AoE mesmerize line starting at level 73, which is unresistable and performs a 100% memblur when fading. Yup, it's that good. Just pop it and you can pick and choose the mob(s) to pull, with no risk.

I almost always use the Echo line at higher levels, but until level 73, you can use the Phantom line instead.

Another trick for easy pulling is from level 70 and onwards where you get the Imitate Death AA. It FD's you with no risk of failure, and you are instantly forgotten by all mobs. Its reuse time can be reduced by another AA so it ends up at 2 minutes, and gives you an oh-poo poo button for any nasty situation. At level 95 you also get an AA that pulls a mob towards you in an arch, which makes it super easy to single pull. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I've been fooling around on my ancient eq character and was going to get the pally 1.5 epic, but ran into a 6 character min group requirement for a raid instance. Is there anyway around this?