Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/JoannaSimkin/status/849424552702734338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ego-bot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCEm21aTh5Q

The worst commercial. Even worse than the Cadillac one with Neil Mcdonaugh.

I don't get it. Seems like a pretty generic softdrink commercial? :confused:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tiggum posted:

A rich white woman blithely wanders into a peaceful protest against racial discrimination and solves all of the worlds problems by giving the cops a can of pepsi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tiggum posted:

Be a cool hip protester and conform to our corporate message of buying our brand of sugar water. :shrug:

Also pepsi can create world peace, just buy pepsi.

I mean its nothing that Coke or Pepsi haven't tried before, but its just as dumb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why isn’t Pepsi sweetened with brown sugar?

makes u think

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

To Pepsi's credit, they've finally found something that both liberals and conservatives can unite against. Not even Hitler did that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

They turned a protest into a block party.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also "they pulled their advertising revenue from good content creators to make THIS?" in the comments.

PBUE.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was an amazingly stupid Money Supermarket advert that I just saw last night during Flash/Supergirl - normally they are dumb slice of life stories ("x just saves y moneys on car insurance and he feels EPIC! You're so money supermarket!" is how it flows) but this time x is Skeletor and it's He-Man who says that he is "So Money Supermarket":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vo6YG9U_o8

#EpicSkeletor indeed. :allears:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Be a cool hip protester and conform to our corporate message of buying our brand of sugar water. :shrug:

Also pepsi can create world peace, just buy pepsi.

I mean its nothing that Coke or Pepsi haven't tried before, but its just as dumb.
Yeah it's bad let's take 'trending issue 3' and jam some woow yay soda in there, yaaay our soda product somehow fixes everything, everything is better with soda! attempted pandering crap but is it outright aggressive?
Apparently they sold PSP's at jean stores in Europe too?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Croccers posted:

Yeah it's bad let's take 'trending issue 3' and jam some woow yay soda in there, yaaay our soda product somehow fixes everything, everything is better with soda! attempted pandering crap but is it outright aggressive?

Which makes me think of DiGornio's during the #WhyIStayed topic. It was actually a really funny response. But definitely not the right account to say it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tiggum posted:

I appreciate the youtube title says who was in it, because I genuinely thought that Rebecca Black was doing very well for herself since 'Friday'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kurieg posted:

a peaceful protest against racial discrimination
Weren't they protesting war? They all seemed to have peace signs.

FCKGW posted:

They turned a protest into a block party.
Yeah, like I said, a pretty typical softdrink ad. I don't understand what's apparently so egregious about this one as compared with any number of others?

spog posted:

I appreciate the youtube title says who was in it, because I genuinely thought that Rebecca Black was doing very well for herself since 'Friday'
She actually is. She's making music and doing well on YouTube.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, like I said, a pretty typical softdrink ad. I don't understand what's apparently so egregious about this one as compared with any number of others?
Yeah, I've seen a lot worse/cheesier over the years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VM2eLhvsSM

Tiggum posted:

She actually is. She's making music and doing well on YouTube.

So deluded mom wastes a load of money on a vanity pop video to make her daughter famous.....and she becomes famous?

Is that like double reverse irony?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I think it's the sanitization of the original image.

The cops are geared up like they're at war and look like they're about to totally wreck this unarmed wisp of a woman.

Pepsi might not have intended to recreate that image, but other people connected the dots nonetheless. The first time I saw the story about it on Facebook, the headline was something like "Pepsi's tone deaf recreation of iconic image blah blah blah"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Coming on the heels of all the protests against police injustice, and even forgetting the race stuff (which should be pretty obvious) it's clearly taking something that a group of people are very serious about and turning it into a feel-good, sappy commercial. Pepsi probably didn't mean to mock Black Lives Matter but it's not too big a leap to interpret it that way.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It's taking protesting social injustices, something that's quite literally a life and death issue for huge swaths of the population, and spinning it as something flippant and fun that people do because it's trendy and cool.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So, Atlus put out a bunch of rules about streaming Persona 5. Videos must only be 90 minutes long, must not contain story spoilers, no video from major boss fights, and people aren't allowed to show content from after a certain point in the game or Atlus will straight up issue a content ID claim or try and get the account suspended. So basically people are allowed to show grinding.

that's sure to make your game look fun and interesting atlus

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

*only* 90 minutes long? Is that considered short?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
a montage of japanese mispronounication

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh wait wtf I thought this was the smt thread

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

*only* 90 minutes long? Is that considered short?

That in itself isn't really a dealbreaker, it's just another annoyance sitting on a pile of other annoyances.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Slime posted:

So, Atlus put out a bunch of rules about streaming Persona 5. Videos must only be 90 minutes long, must not contain story spoilers, no video from major boss fights, and people aren't allowed to show content from after a certain point in the game or Atlus will straight up issue a content ID claim or try and get the account suspended. So basically people are allowed to show grinding.

Makes you wonder how people ever coped before streaming games became a thing

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

HAT FETISH posted:

Makes you wonder how people ever coped before streaming games became a thing

We had to play our games ourselves. It was a barbaric time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remember having to go over to a friend's house so I could watch someone else play video games.

The shittalking is just the same as it is was back then though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite streamer is a guy that played through the entirety of Gone Home without saying a word. He or she clicked on every object and examined every letter, vhs tape, and whatever knickknacks were lying around. I watched the whole thing and decided not to buy the game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Coming on the heels of all the protests against police injustice, and even forgetting the race stuff (which should be pretty obvious) it's clearly taking something that a group of people are very serious about and turning it into a feel-good, sappy commercial. Pepsi probably didn't mean to mock Black Lives Matter but it's not too big a leap to interpret it that way.

It also made right wingers mad because they think it celebrates BLM/protests in general. It's a powerfully stupid ad.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mierenneuker posted:

I remember having to go over to a friend's house so I could watch someone else play video games.

The shittalking is just the same as it is was back then though.

I remember back in my day, when you had to write down what you did in your video games and mail it to your friends.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Slime posted:

This is blatantly unenforceable, at least in the United States, I'd like to see them try.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Video game companies do it all the time. Like Nintendo.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It's completely enforceable based on how YT handles things, but I'm sure even folks who play by the rules will get content claimed anyway.

The 90 minute rule is probably based on people who livestream then upload the raw video to YT (Twitch deletes VODs after 60 days). Streamers will have a separate channel for the full streams and there are viewers who exclusively watch them that way.

The Pepsi ad is extremely gross, much like their product. To say "but it's like any other ad" is willfully ignoring the contemporary context, especially when the casting is taken into account.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Glazier posted:

This is blatantly unenforceable, at least in the United States, I'd like to see them try.

Youtube is a private site and caters to big companies all the time. If atlus wants Persona videos taken down they will get taken down.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Glazier posted:

It actually is very easy to enforce, and if taken to court, it would be a slam-dunk for the publisher. Streaming is not considered a transformative work, so is not protected by Fair Use and the streamer would be violating the licensing agreement that allows the game to be streamed for profit
Let's Plays are arguably transformative, but I wouldn't pick that hill to die on in a court of law

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

The Door Frame posted:

It actually is very easy to enforce, and if taken to court, it would be a slam-dunk for the publisher. Streaming is not considered a transformative work, so is not protected by Fair Use and the streamer would be violating the licensing agreement that allows the game to be streamed for profit
Let's Plays are arguably transformative, but I wouldn't pick that hill to die on in a court of law

Is there case law on that? I mean, it seems right plain streaming of gameplay isn't transformative, but some streamers verge on literary analysis, or technical, which might have a sufficient original portion to be defended, maybe?

E: EULA EULA lol I guess

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Glazier posted:

Lol my man how are you posting from 1995?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

a montage of japanese mispronounication

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

spog posted:

Really sure about that?

Oh noes fat people in public!! I'm scarred for life.

Except I'm not.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
re: weeaboo Do we know what thread people started using that synonymously with its older clunkier cousin, wapanese?

It was on SA wasn't it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

re: weeaboo Do we know what thread people started using that synonymously with its older clunkier cousin, wapanese?

It was on SA wasn't it?

Pretty sure it was 4chan word filter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cobweb Heart posted:

It was on SA wasn't it?

Its a 4chan thing I think. It's a reference to a Perry bible fellowship comic that had nothing at all to do with Japan, it just stuck.
Edit: http://pbfcomics.com/71/