Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Oh good, KatMouse, the thing I can barely use a computer without, no longer works with this new update. Also I have the thing where I can only open stuff in task manager > new task. Microsoft constantly impresses me for how badly they gently caress things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

StabMasterArson posted:

Oh good, KatMouse, the thing I can barely use a computer without, no longer works with this new update.

You don't need that thing which hasn't been updated in 4 years, it's built into Windows now:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fishmech posted:

You don't need that thing which hasn't been updated in 4 years, it's built into Windows now:

I've tried that, it never worked for me. I still use WizMouse.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I got bitten today at work by Windows. Mapped network drives all died on random computers, not all. I was flummoxed until I remember someone posting about DNS issues being case sensitive with the new update. So I mapped in all caps and it worked.

What a weird bug and why is it changed now? Got to be a reason.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blame NetBIOS

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kerning Chameleon posted:

This is the exact reason I always manually back up files and take a Macrium image like the day before I do a feature update, despite the fact I've never had more than very minor annoyances with the upgrades.

stop reinstalling skype, goddamnit

It did catch me off guard. I figured it was gonna be another little update like it's done in the past. Though normally my comp tells me it's time to update by cutting my wifi off. My computer's a dick

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Dear Microsoft: Again, please just let me unpin 3D Objects without hacking around in regedit. It's really not a crucial folder I need at the top of This PC at all times.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I was trying to find clear information on this, but couldn't. My Windows 10 Pro installation is tied to my Microsoft account, and I'm building a new computer and want to move my license to it. I've seen information online about some of the restrictions/etc., but is there a current, easy way to see whether my license/installation could even be transferred?

I think I had read that it can't be de-activated, so not sure how else to get it transferred. I also need to transfer Office 2016 which is also tied to my MS account, but that at least has a deactivate option so I can move it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Install on your new pc with the media creation tool and try and activate. It will probably prompt you to call the automated line which will ask you to confirm you only have it on one PC and let you activate.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

astral posted:

Don't Use NetBIOS
Turn Off NetBIOS

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is Netbios such a clusterfuck right now? If you disable it what might happen? Also where do you disable it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Dear Microsoft: Again, please just let me unpin 3D Objects without hacking around in regedit. It's really not a crucial folder I need at the top of This PC at all times.

I'll never understand this decision, nor the ever-present people button. I know I can very easily disable the people button but.. come on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"You are now logged in to Skype, your username is also your email address, nothing could possibly go wrong with this."

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jokes posted:

I'll never understand this decision, nor the ever-present people button. I know I can very easily disable the people button but.. come on.

It's so they can, at a later point, go through the data and say "See? People like 3D Objects, they've all got it pinned!" and then get a bonus for inventing such a popular feature.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We implemented an entirely new and interesting and innovative feature called the people button!

We allowed you to pin a contact onto your taskbar, so that you can select the contact and then select the method/app to contact them, and then you send a message! We know you hated the tedium of selecting the method/app to contact someone, selecting the contact, then sending them a message. See it's all about improving the workflow. You're welcome.

And if you're one of the .001% of people who use their computer for 3D modeling, you're in luck because our OS's default environment is sort of geared towards that now!

Anyways, don't update your computer it'll break all your poo poo also we're gonna auto-update your computer anyways. Thank you for using Microsoft!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

redeyes posted:

Is Netbios such a clusterfuck right now? If you disable it what might happen? Also where do you disable it?

It's a garbage protocol that predates the concept of computer security. You can turn it off on your network adapter under the WINS tab. You often need it for name resolution on a home lan but if its any kind of business just resolve names through DNS and be done with it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you use your computer for 3d modeling you probably don't save your models in the Microsoft approved 3d models folder anyway. I still don't use "My Documents".

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rexxed posted:

I still don't use "My Documents".

Don't like folder redirection?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It's a garbage protocol that predates the concept of computer security. You can turn it off on your network adapter under the WINS tab. You often need it for name resolution on a home lan but if its any kind of business just resolve names through DNS and be done with it.

I'm not sure that is good advice for the Windows 10 thread then. I get it though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Still on 1709 for some reason. I guess that's all well and good because I checked ASUS' support site and my mobo doesn't have 1803-compatible drivers released yet. Maybe Win10 knows this somehow :tinfoil:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Updated to 1803 this morning and so far zero issues. All hardware and software works as it did before the reboot.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Ofecks posted:

Still on 1709 for some reason. I guess that's all well and good because I checked ASUS' support site and my mobo doesn't have 1803-compatible drivers released yet. Maybe Win10 knows this somehow :tinfoil:

Why would you need a BIOS update for a new windows 10 version? I had an old P67 from back in the 2500k days that worked fine on 1709 before I got rid of it. Latest BIOS for it was 2012 or so.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

CFox posted:

Why would you need a BIOS update for a new windows 10 version? I had an old P67 from back in the 2500k days that worked fine on 1709 before I got rid of it. Latest BIOS for it was 2012 or so.

BIOS != mobo drivers. Such drivers are for the chipset and integrated controllers.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

CFox posted:

I didn't mention BIOS at all, not sure where you got that. Was referring to chipset/audio/LAN/SATA drivers. All were last updated Dec 2017.

efb, thanks my dude

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Since installing the update my computer takes forever to wake up from sleep and before the update it woke up immediately.

I have 1 SSD for storage (840 Evo)

Is this a known issue at all?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Question about removable drives with Windows 10. Is there something fucky that Windows 10 (Pro) does with removable USB hard drives and flash drives to make them appear as non-removable?

I have tried three drives so far and there's no rhyme or reason what is detected as removable and lets me eject, versus what isn't. I don't want to shut down my PC every time I need to unplug a drive.

Two of the drives are Sandisk which apparently is a thing that Sandisk was going through at the time I bought the drives, they were certifying them for Win 8.1 which apparently made them show up as non-removable drives. No biggie. The other is a USB 3.0 WD Elements 2TB drive though, which was detected fine as a removable drive but then next time I plugged it in, wasn't. :confuoot:

Specs: Windows 10 Pro 1709 64-bit, AMD Ryzen 2200G, Gigabyte AB350M board, CoolerMaster MB600L case. I've tried plugging into the USB ports in the back and in the front. (giggity)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

My audio drivers got hosed up so that my mic was super quiet and barely picked up anything even if I was shouting into it. After uninstalling and reinstalling stuff a few times, it magically fixed itself, so I decided not to worry about why it broke and just be happy that it started working again.

I just updated to 1803 and I'm having the same issue, so I guess I'm going to be uninstalling and reinstalling my audio drivers and hope it unfucks itself.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

astral posted:

Don't like folder redirection?

I just keep my files where I want to keep them, in directories off the root level of whichever disk I want them on. Microsoft can't tell me where to keep things! Down with Libraries! Don't index my metadata! :tinfoil:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Mark Larson posted:

Question about removable drives with Windows 10. Is there something fucky that Windows 10 (Pro) does with removable USB hard drives and flash drives to make them appear as non-removable?

I have tried three drives so far and there's no rhyme or reason what is detected as removable and lets me eject, versus what isn't. I don't want to shut down my PC every time I need to unplug a drive.

Two of the drives are Sandisk which apparently is a thing that Sandisk was going through at the time I bought the drives, they were certifying them for Win 8.1 which apparently made them show up as non-removable drives. No biggie. The other is a USB 3.0 WD Elements 2TB drive though, which was detected fine as a removable drive but then next time I plugged it in, wasn't. :confuoot:

Specs: Windows 10 Pro 1709 64-bit, AMD Ryzen 2200G, Gigabyte AB350M board, CoolerMaster MB600L case. I've tried plugging into the USB ports in the back and in the front. (giggity)

I got really loving tired of that so I found this:

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

Usually works, but I'm on 8.1 and it hasn't been updated for over a year so for win10, who knows? There are other such utilities though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hands up if you forgot about the eject thing a decade ago and just yank those fuckers out the second you're done with them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Nemo2342 posted:

I just updated to 1803 and I'm having the same issue, so I guess I'm going to be uninstalling and reinstalling my audio drivers and hope it unfucks itself.

If it helps, I installed the Realtek drivers (grabbed from the drivers page for my motherboard) and then uninstalled them and let Windows install whatever it thought was best. The Realtek drivers are a piece of poo poo and make all 3d audio sound like it's underwater for me. :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had those audio issues at work. Uninstalling the device in Device Manager then letting Windows install whatever post reboot fixed it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hands up if you forgot about the eject thing a decade ago and just yank those fuckers out the second you're done with them.

Did this at work years ago. Completely bricked the whole flash drive.

Went back to Spotify after that, if I recall.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofecks posted:

I didn't mention BIOS at all, not sure where you got that. Was referring to chipset/audio/LAN/SATA drivers. All were last updated Dec 2017.

So? Were you explicitly told that all of those things break in 1803? There's no reason to wait for them if there's not an active issue.

Most of the drivers for this cheap laptop I'm typing on were last updated in 2015 or 2016, the thing still works fine regardless.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Ofecks posted:

Did this at work years ago. Completely bricked the whole flash drive.

Went back to Spotify after that, if I recall.

If I recall correctly Windows XP by default would sometimes cache up writes to removable disks leaving the write half-done even if the UI showed it as having finished. This would wreck poo poo if the drive was unplugged suddenly as you saw. I'm sure lots of people complained, and Windows 10 definitely does not do that by default - 7 as well, pretty sure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eletriarnation posted:

If I recall correctly Windows XP by default would sometimes cache up writes to removable disks leaving the write half-done even if the UI showed it as having finished. This would wreck poo poo if the drive was unplugged suddenly as you saw. I'm sure lots of people complained, and Windows 10 definitely does not do that by default - 7 as well, pretty sure.

The behavior has stayed about the same ever since USB mass storage support was first integrated to Windows. The thing is that the drives used to be a whole lot slower at writing out data. Even when Windows was done transferring, the device might not have flushed everything to non-volatile storage.

If you'd like, you can still disrupt the writes and gently caress up the file system on a modern USB stick by yanking out during the very short time between Windows showing the write as having finished but before everything truly dumped out to the flash storage, it's just that it's a matter of fractions of a second now.

The way the drives report themselves as devices changes whether Windows will by default assign them to have extensive Windows-based write caching (usually, it'll be done for things identifying like platter drives or Zip drives, which incidentally are drives where you can tell if the data's finished being written just by listening) while flash storage is more likely to have minimal Windows-based write caching, but they'll still often have internal caching.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So the recent windows 10 update completely broke my computer and have no idea how to fix it. It gets stuck on a boot loop asking me to choose my keyboard and then continue and back to keyboard again, and if I try to go to a previous version it sends me to a completely empty desktop with no way of doing anything
I’m getting Unknown Hard Errors from sihost.exe and if I sign out and sign in I get sent to the cutesy precious updating sequence but then nothing

Edit: just now I got sent to my normal desktop for like ten seconds before my screen went black again. Only the mouse cursor is visible

Edit 2 great apparently it's a known issue with no fix so that's extremely cool and good

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 24, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I have a question I thought about posting in the Haus of Tech Support.

After 1803 and installing an M.2 SSD, I now get a "BOOT PARTITION NOT FOUND, PRESS ANY KEY" message when booting up from shut down. The weird thing is, I can literally just press any key and Windows boots up just fine. I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that the secondary drive was the former primary drive, but I don't have any other boot devices enabled in my BIOS for hard drives other than the SSD.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

fishmech posted:

The way the drives report themselves as devices changes whether Windows will by default assign them to have extensive Windows-based write caching (usually, it'll be done for things identifying like platter drives or Zip drives, which incidentally are drives where you can tell if the data's finished being written just by listening) while flash storage is more likely to have minimal Windows-based write caching, but they'll still often have internal caching.

This is exactly why I'm leary of just yanking them out. It's messed up that Windows is seeing removable drives as non-removable drives. GTFO MS, don't adopt my drives.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I got really loving tired of that so I found this:

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

Usually works, but I'm on 8.1 and it hasn't been updated for over a year so for win10, who knows? There are other such utilities though.

Thanks, this is loving awesome.

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

fishmech posted:

So? Were you explicitly told that all of those things break in 1803? There's no reason to wait for them if there's not an active issue.

No but due to all the horror stories I've read about people's experiences with the seasonal updates (especially this new one) I'd rather be safe than sorry. See:

Calaveron posted:

So the recent windows 10 update completely broke my computer and have no idea how to fix it.

I emailed ASUS and they said their software team are working on new drivers, didn't mention an ETA. Hopefully they will fully QA them to be usable on release unlike Nvidia.

fishmech posted:

Checked device manager, apparently both my NVMe SSD and storage HDD had write caching enabled. I disabled it on the HDD for now, will re-enable when I get the UPS unit I'm planning on buying. Kinda nervous about having it on my boot drive during spring's tumultuous weather.