Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pookah posted:

I was just posting about this in another thread, it's what got me thinking about that period. Just the absolute stupidity of inviting an entirely foreign, entirely mercenary army into your own country to 'help' you regain power without considering that maybe they'll decide to just keep going and take over themselves.

Read about the king in question Diarmit mac murchuda. His historical reputation is basically - 'evil gobshite, so evil that when he died no priest would give him the last rites and he's buried in a ditch somewhere, who cares where.'

This is surprisingly common; the Visigoths hired the Muslim armies into Spain in order to fight in a succession dispute. And then they just... stayed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deteriorata posted:

That's basically how the Saxons took over England, as well. The Britons didn't have any standing army of their own and the Romans took the army, the armor, and most of the skilled tradesmen with them when they left.

It only took a few years for the Picts to figure out the southerners were nearly defenseless and take advantage of the situation. The Britons appealed for help to the Saxons, who obligingly beat back the Picts. Then they realized that Britain was great farmland and mostly undefended, so they came back with armies of their own and lots of settlers.

ETA: From the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle:

The Anglo-Saxon takeover of Britannia was way more complicated than this, but it's hard to know definitively because we have about four or five primary sources. Also the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle's version is mostly Wessex propaganda.

sullat posted:

This is surprisingly common; the Visigoths hired the Muslim armies into Spain in order to fight in a succession dispute. And then they just... stayed...

There is no historical evidence for this. Nobody hired the Muslim armies that invaded Spain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The only Muslim army that was hired was the governor of Sicily appealed to the North Africans to fight the Roman Emperor.

Least it’s the only one I know

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only Muslim army that was hired was the governor of Sicily appealed to the North Africans to fight the Roman Emperor.

Least it’s the only one I know

Well, you'd know wouldn't you?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Posted it in the MilHist thread- any questions about the Korean War? My grandfather was a draftee and has an account.

He was a draftee for which army?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Mr. Belpit posted:

He was a draftee for which army?

Muslims mercenaries in Ireland

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the normans did basically the exact same thing in southern Italy.

They were very convincing

And that's where the word 'normalization' came from. I hope you all learned something today.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

They were called the Normandy landings because the USA were invited to assist with a domestic conflict, and after they arrived and won the war they set up a bunch of American client states and fortresses instead of leaving.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Pookah posted:

I was just looking up something relating to the Norman invasion of Ireland, and came across a very interesting insight into the difference between what was considered proper behaviour in Irish and English Royal circles: According to the Chronicles of John Froissart, a man called Henry Castide was sent by the then English King to coach the 4 Irish kings (each province had its own king) on how to behave in the English court:

Source: From Chronicles of England, France and Spain and the Surrounding Countries, by Sir John Froissart
https://elfinspell.com/FroissartVol2/Book4Chap60.html

tl;dr Irish kings thought it right and proper to eat with, and share everything with their senior household servants, a very different attitude to the very strict hierarchy in English and Norman courtly circles.

Interesting. About what year was this?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

And even then during the Plantation of Ulster, when Ireland was properly colonized with the displacement of the natives and British settlers being moved in centuries later, the English expected the Old English families in Ireland to side with them but most of them had become so thoroughly Hibernized through generations of intermarriage that they fought with the natives.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

And even then during the Plantation of Ulster, when Ireland was properly colonized with the displacement of the natives and British settlers being moved in centuries later, the English expected the Old English families in Ireland to side with them but most of them had become so thoroughly Hibernized through generations of intermarriage that they fought with the natives.

How much did religious affiliations play into this? Quite a bit, I would imagine.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
PYF Historical Fun Fact: How much did religious affiliations play into this?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Posted it in the MilHist thread- any questions about the Korean War? My grandfather was a draftee and has an account.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Just learned this fun fact: In 1820, the Austrian Empire decreed that poor people needed to acquire an "marriage consensus", i.e. the official permission to marry, by their municipality before going to their priest and arrange a wedding. The reasoning behind this was that poor people were more likely to produce lots of poor children who would then burden the state's welfare budget even more. This rule got abolished in 1869 for most parts of the Empire, although in some areas (namely Salzburg, Tyrol and Vorarlberg) it persisted for longer - in the latter two even well after WW1! In the end only farmhands, day labourers and beggars were covered by it and even then only if they were drawing welfare.

Anyway, for a good while during the 19th century poor people were de facto not allowed to marry. There were quite a few priests who were willing to ignore this and wed couples nonetheless, but they risked punishment both from the state and the church by doing that. But there was also another option: In 19th century Rome, unmarried couples arriving in the city were forcibly wed since the ecclesiastical authorities of the time didn't want people loving in the eternal city outside of the bounds of marriage, I guess.

So for several decades during the 19th century, poor couples from Austria and especially from Tyrol (probably because it was the closest, but also because the marriage consensus was handled the strictest there) would often go on a pilgrimage to Rome where they would visit churches, get indulgences and aim to get arrested and forcibly wed by the local authorities. After coming back they would risk three to six months of jail for this, but they were married after all and there was nothing Austria could do about this.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sucrose posted:

Interesting. About what year was this?

Just had a little look and apparently it happened in 1394-1395, during Richard II's fist expedition to Ireland.

^^^Iceland had similar laws in the 19th century - I believe it was illegal to marry unless you had land^^^

Pookah has a new favorite as of 10:54 on Feb 24, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
so what did the authorities do with the hordes of bastards?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Just learned this fun fact: In 1820, the Austrian Empire decreed that poor people needed to acquire an "marriage consensus", i.e. the official permission to marry, by their municipality before going to their priest and arrange a wedding. The reasoning behind this was that poor people were more likely to produce lots of poor children who would then burden the state's welfare budget even more. This rule got abolished in 1869 for most parts of the Empire, although in some areas (namely Salzburg, Tyrol and Vorarlberg) it persisted for longer - in the latter two even well after WW1! In the end only farmhands, day labourers and beggars were covered by it and even then only if they were drawing welfare.

Anyway, for a good while during the 19th century poor people were de facto not allowed to marry. There were quite a few priests who were willing to ignore this and wed couples nonetheless, but they risked punishment both from the state and the church by doing that. But there was also another option: In 19th century Rome, unmarried couples arriving in the city were forcibly wed since the ecclesiastical authorities of the time didn't want people loving in the eternal city outside of the bounds of marriage, I guess.

So for several decades during the 19th century, poor couples from Austria and especially from Tyrol (probably because it was the closest, but also because the marriage consensus was handled the strictest there) would often go on a pilgrimage to Rome where they would visit churches, get indulgences and aim to get arrested and forcibly wed by the local authorities. After coming back they would risk three to six months of jail for this, but they were married after all and there was nothing Austria could do about this.
From 1902 to 1972 there was Norwegian law called the concubine paragraph. It stated that couples could not live together unless they were married. In theory you could go to jail, but in reality no one was prosecuted.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

19th century Danish law also required the man to have a permit for marriage proving that he wasn't a filthy poor.

As for bastards: In 1803, parishes were required to maintain a farm or house for the local poor, to curb vagabonding and begging. They were only required to support those born in the parish. This meant that the local parishes would often push unmarried pregnant women out of the parish and leave the child to be the responsibility of whatever other parish it was born in. This was obviously untenable, and the law was amended with the so-called "ten month rule" that meant a child was the responsibility of whatever parish the mother lived in 10 months before its birth.

Of course, this only applied if it wasn't possible to get the father of the child to either marry the woman or pay her a stipend.

One of my ggggrandmothers was born 1840 in parish A, but since her mother was unwed, she was legally considered born in parish B. The father had moved to Copenhagen shortly after she became pregnant and may not have been aware. She managed to get in touch with him by letter, and he acknowledged being the father and sent her some money (not much, they were both poor). After a couple of years, she became impatient and contacted the authorities. To help track him down, she gave them three of his letters. They found him, and he said he did not make much at his job, but offered to pay a small amount on a bi-annual basis. After a couple of years of this, they got married in 1845 and appear to have had a good life together.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyChecker posted:

so what did the authorities do with the hordes of bastards?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Austria

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the Netherlands, priests cannot legally marry people.

Only government representatives can.

The reason is that when a country has separation of church and state, putting a purely legal matter in the hands of a religious leader is extremely weird.

Church weddings are allowed of course, but only after the legal matters are settled.

Non-religious people often do a state marriage and have their wedding party combined with that.
Religious people often have the state marriage as a formal thing without ceremony, like signing for a new passport, then follow up with a church wedding the next day and do the party after the church wedding.

It is extremely rare, but not completely unheard of, for certain religious offshoots to claim they feel they're not subject to the government and telling people to do a religious wedding while skipping the state formalities. The result is an "illegal" marriage or at least something that's not legally binding in any way, and the government getting rather pissed at the religious organisation doing this. But major religions generally follow the rules, it's only cults that get in trouble like this.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the Netherlands, priests cannot legally marry people.

Only government representatives can.

The reason is that when a country has separation of church and state, putting a purely legal matter in the hands of a religious leader is extremely weird.

Church weddings are allowed of course, but only after the legal matters are settled.

Non-religious people often do a state marriage and have their wedding party combined with that.
Religious people often have the state marriage as a formal thing without ceremony, like signing for a new passport, then follow up with a church wedding the next day and do the party after the church wedding.

It is extremely rare, but not completely unheard of, for certain religious offshoots to claim they feel they're not subject to the government and telling people to do a religious wedding while skipping the state formalities. The result is an "illegal" marriage or at least something that's not legally binding in any way, and the government getting rather pissed at the religious organisation doing this. But major religions generally follow the rules, it's only cults that get in trouble like this.

I think this setup is quite common. In Sweden one also need to apply for a permit to get married (to make sure you are not close kin, a minor or already married) and as far as I know weddings performed in Sweden are legally void unless this has been done.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yeah, same in Germany and Austria. Until 2009 a couple of years ago priests weren't even allowed to perform a wedding if the couple hadn't entered a legal marriage beforehand, but this got changed now that nobody cares anymore about the validity of legal vs sacramental marriage.

Up until 1938 though, all matters of official documentation pertaining to people's legal status (ie birth, marriage, death etc) was done by the various religious communities in Austria, so for the most part the Catholic Church. For older people their official record is therefore still maintained by the church, which can lead to unforeseen consequences like the case of a Catholic priest a couple of years ago, who had reached retirement age and was now about to clandestinely marry his affair. It was supposed to be a legal only ceremony so that the church wouldn't get wind of it, but he didn't remember that due to his age his file was still kept by the church, which meant that the state authorities automatically gave the information about his wedding over to whatever parish he was born. Since the church also documents ordinations in their records, they immediately knew that he a) was a priest and b) got married, and there was a big hubbub about it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

was reading the wiki article on light in august, and came across this gem:

quote:

In 1935, Maurice Coindreau translated the novel into French.[24] In the same year, it was translated into German along with several other of Faulkner's novels and short stories. These works initially met with approval from the Nazi censors and received much attention from German literary critics, because they assumed that Faulkner was a conservative agrarian positively depicting the struggle for racial purity; soon after, however, Faulkner's works were banned by the Nazis, and post-war German criticism reappraised him as an optimistic Christian humanist. Faulkner's books were not available in Germany until 1951 because US army censors also did not approve of his work.

liked by nazi critics because they assumed faulkner was racist, banned when they figured out he wasn't, praised by non-nazi critics after the war, but banned by US censors (I wonder why)

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

So what you are saying is that unwed Austrian mothers basically explains how the Empire fell and WWI. Before 1848 there were a lot of reason why there were many single parent Austrian households but after 1869 there was really no excuse. Yet the trend continued in certain urban areas like Tyrol, Salzburg and Vorarlberg.

Personal responsibility people.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Many states in the US have marriage license requirements too. The oldest reasons are to ensure you're not too closely related, and also you're not miscegenatin' because racism.

At some point, many states had you take a blood test to screen for syphilis, and Montana still requires women to get a blood test for Rubella before getting a license.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

canyoneer posted:

Many states in the US have marriage license requirements too. The oldest reasons are to ensure you're not too closely related, and also you're not miscegenatin' because racism.

At some point, many states had you take a blood test to screen for syphilis, and Montana still requires women to get a blood test for Rubella before getting a license.

MN is a short form and $20. No questions asked. Just have the minister/pastor/priest/justice of the peace/a cat sign it and it's done. Super easy.

I'm pretty sure you can marry a tree in MN and they wouldn't mind. It's absurdly easy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mentioned it elsewhere in a different context, but after 1810, you couldn't get married in Denmark if you hadn't had the smallpox vaccine

There were also antivaxxers then, but without freedom of the press, they never got a foothold. That's not to say we should limit speech, just that some things can be "easier" in an absolute monarchy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

That's a cool and good take

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

That's a cool and good take

i am absolutely not advocating for that (hence the quotation marks), i was just trying to give context but im a little buzzed lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

i am absolutely not advocating for that (hence the quotation marks), i was just trying to give context but im a little buzzed lol
Okay what are you drinking, because gin makes me horny and whiskey makes me unruly and I wanna know what's gonna make me monarchist-leaning 🤪

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can have a free press and still sanction them for printing lies. In fact you should.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Okay what are you drinking, because gin makes me horny and whiskey makes me unruly and I wanna know what's gonna make me monarchist-leaning 🤪

zaranoff vodka, the cheapest they had in aldi

but i am also eating haribo piratos, which might explain any appearance of outmoded concepts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can have a free press and still sanction them for printing lies. In fact you should.

this is also true

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

zaranoff vodka, the cheapest they had in aldi
You might as well be drinking evian :rolleyes:

Get on the taaka train and let's burn some poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hell yea text me

small historical fact: the expression "calling for Ulrich" as slang for throwing up has been in the Danish language for over 300 years

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

You might as well be drinking evian :rolleyes:

The vodka will be cleaner than Evian. (No seriously it's absolutely filthy compared to tapwater. Still legally potable but not something I'd pay for.)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The vodka will be cleaner than Evian. (No seriously it's absolutely filthy compared to tapwater. Still legally potable but not something I'd pay for.)
from a certain perspective yes but from a less ridiculous perspective no

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

I'm familiar with the brand and I feel they need to lean in to their real demographic. "Get a handle on the workday" is much more true. Pair it with a "Half pint for the hustle" for the real Taaka drinkers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i store zaranoff vodka in my balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i store zaranoff vodka in my balls

That's a good burn when you pee.