Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I didn't like those other Hanna-Barbera comics at all but man I feel compelled to buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope its secret squirrel and detective chimp team up book

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh snap, DC and Diamond have made Mister Miracle #1 available to retailers to read in advance!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Oh snap, DC and Diamond have made Mister Miracle #1 available to retailers to read in advance!

But after you read it you must escape from a trap

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

But after you read it you must escape from a trap

The trap is, which retailer will be stupid enough to share the PDF. It's digitally watermarked like a MOTHERFUCKER.

And it's good!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope its secret squirrel and detective chimp team up book

Detective Chimp Meets Lancelot Link

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

So as someone who's a new reader and just started with Rebirth's stuff recently: what's the point of this Watchmen fuckery storyline? Are they just using this an excuse to bring back a handful of characters, or is this actually gonna be more continuity resets?

My understanding is that the pre-New 52 continuity is still in existence and occasionally people are slipping through the cracks, but I don't see the "why would they even address this" unless they were planning on something substantial. I'm guessing the answer is "nobody knows right now" but trying to parse this is incredibly confusing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Secret Squirrel meets The Question is the obvious comic. The Question is a conspiracy theorist, Secret Squirrel is a spy working for a large global intelligence agency, whose also a loving squirrel, it writes itself.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Can someone find a picture of Tom King in his underwear for my avatar? Might be reading this tomorrow, and I may die of joy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

what's the point of this Watchmen fuckery storyline?

"Whoa! That's crazy! Let's write provide a bunch of free publicity by writing articles and/or forum posts!" - everyone

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read The Casting and I think these two Dark Days issues may be my least favourite Scott Snyder comics I've ever read. He's digging in to his absolute worst traits.
I'm already sick of INCREDIBLE MYSTERIOUS UNKNOWN HIDDEN SECRET HISTORY SHAPING ANCIENT METALS!!! before issue one of the comic called METAL has even come out.

And JRJr,

good work.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 12, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What are his worst traits now?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For someone who claims to not like Jason and Artemis as couple that much, Lobdell sures loves to depict them as one

I can't wait to see what he does with Lex next

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Codependent Poster posted:

You know how Marvel has Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe?

I'm gonna pitch something to DC like that, but kind of the opposite. The DC Universe Kills Jason Todd. A series where each issue, a member of the DC Universe kills Jason Todd.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've felt that JRjr can really phone it in and it is very obvious when he does. Really not one of my face artists.

As for Ragman I will give it a try. Jewish superhero represent.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Green Lantern is venturing into DC Comics' Earth One OGN line with a new book by cartoonist Gabriel Hardman, co-writer Corinna Bechko, and artist Jordan Boyd. Green Lantern: Earth One, which is scheduled to debut March 20, 2018, will revisit Hal Jordan's origin story with two unique twists - he's a astronaut for Ferris Galactic, and all of the Green Lantern Corps have been murdered by the Manhunters - and its up to him to re-start the group.

“Approaching this as an Earth One story gives us the opportunity to go back to the core concept of Green Lantern and interpret it through the lens of a modern, grounded sci-fi story while still being true to the Silver Age roots of Hal Jordan,” said Hardman. “Having storyboarded Interstellar, this is an approach I’m comfortable with and have wanted to explore in comics. Realistic sci-fi is only the beginning of this story; we have something much more epic in store.”

As Hardman mentioned, he has worked on numerous sci-fi films as well as comic books - some with Bechko, including Star Wars: Legacy and the creator-owned Invinsible Republic. For Green Lantern: Earth One, the duo will be exploring Hal's piloting skills as well as his science background.

“Hal Jordan is a smart, capable person with a space and science background who has a lot of untapped potential even before he finds the ring,” Bechko said. “That means he’s going to approach everything the ring does from the perspective of a scientist, but he’s going to employ it for action and adventure. The result for us as writers is the opportunity to fully embrace the science fiction aspects of the story in a way that would be impossible with a lot of other characters.”

https://www.newsarama.com/35301-dc-s-earth-one-line-returns-with-green-lantern.html?utm_source=notification

This sounds pretty good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Norns posted:

What are his worst traits now?

His mythologizing, and especially the info-dump dialogue explaining it are so clunky and unnatural, and in these comics you're just getting told and told and told, so I found them really hard to get through or care about.

edit: To be positive, the Adam West tribute in this week's comics was sweet :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 12, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Yeah I'm going to give this a read. I've really enjoyed the Superman and Batman Earth Ones. I haven't gotten a chance to read WW or Teen Titans yet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish they'd either hold off for ComicCon or announce everything at once, but we have this trickle.

'NEAL ADAMS 'Resurrects' DEADMAN for New Series With a Little Help from BATMAN'
https://www.newsarama.com/35306-neal-adams-resurrects-deadman-for-new-series.html

quote:

DC Comics has announced a new Deadman story from writer/artist Neal Adams, whose art helped popularize Deadman in the late 60s.

The series will investigate the murder of Boston Brand, the man who Deadman was in life, and will feature cameos from Batman, Zatanna, and Doctor Fate. The first issue will also feature a special glow-in-the-dark cover.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wish they'd either hold off for ComicCon or announce everything at once, but we have this trickle.

'NEAL ADAMS 'Resurrects' DEADMAN for New Series With a Little Help from BATMAN'
https://www.newsarama.com/35306-neal-adams-resurrects-deadman-for-new-series.html

Neal Adams and Deadman? I'm in!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, latest HJatGLC is... uh... So I get almost everything in that issue but... Sora? You branded Kyle over his not telling you that the villain they killed just previously was your future son. Despite the fact that knowledge of this then caused the corpse to disappear, indicating that loving with the time stream is in fact, a bad. You then decide to physically brand him, and refer to him as a rat?

I can't help but feel that, Sinestro has become part of the Yellow Light, and is 'infecting' the Yellow Lanterns. On the other hand I'm 99% sure that relationship is dead and buried and good, I didn't like it anyway. Donna was best It'll never happen again thought

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hal is so boring on his own they're giving him Kyle's origin for that Earth One thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The announcements are so refreshing to finally have, especially after the wet fart that was the last wave of announcements.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm super excited for Ragman.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I would like my Justice Society of America and Legion of Super-Heroes announcements, please and thank you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So far I can't think of any good Earth One books at all. I've read the Batman and Superman ones and they are just terrible. I can't imagine the Titans one is any good either. They should just can the whole line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't Wonder Woman Earth One reasonably well-received?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Teen Titans was among Lemire's best DC stuff.

edit: As in, better than JLD and JLU imo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 12, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wonder Woman was great, and Teen Titans wasn't a dumpster fire. TT was like a first draft for a proposed movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dark Days: The Casting (the eff are these titles?) was pretty wordy and plodding, yeah. And the Duke revelation is...super weird, but whatever. I'll probably keep on with this book though, 'cuz this whole thing about tying literally everything in DC to some sort of secret supermetal of some kind is just balls to walls unsane enough to keep me tickled.

Wonder Woman #26, Shea Fontana's first issue, was a nice plunge in the pool. Though the tonal shift from Rucka is noticeable right off the bat and, try as she might, Fontana still doesn't manage to line up the story and characters perfectly with how Rucka ended it. Still, there's several things here to like and not a lot to complain about, which is a real nice change from, well, how Wonder Woman creative team changes usually go. :xd:

I'm a wee bit apprehensive about Diana's status quo being so closely tied to the military now to the point that she's apparently spending all her free time doing missions for them, but I'm pretty sure that medical team she's with is gonna end up being evil or something so that'll be that.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't Wonder Woman Earth One reasonably well-received?
[shrug] Yeee...eh?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought TT Earth One was like a boring Runaways honestly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's the gimmick behind Earth One? Is it a separate universe from the main books or like a retelling of origins to make up for sliding timelines like Marvel's Season One books?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

What's the gimmick behind Earth One? Is it a separate universe from the main books or like a retelling of origins to make up for sliding timelines like Marvel's Season One books?

Separate universe I believe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can I just say though that GL Earth One cover looks loving rad?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I just saw a splash page of Riddler's "Team" from the new Batman storyline and Clayface is on it. Batman also says in narration he hasn't put on the cowl for a year, what the hell is going on in that book?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Takes place after Zero Year, five or six or fifteen years ago.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

So I just saw a splash page of Riddler's "Team" from the new Batman storyline and Clayface is on it. Batman also says in narration he hasn't put on the cowl for a year, what the hell is going on in that book?

Think of it as a sequel to Zero Year.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hate this Snickers ad in this week and last week's comics, because it looks just enough like the rest of the comic that I start reading it everytime.

X-O posted:

It's a flashback story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's a relief. I thought they'd already gone and turned Clayface evil again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Joker owning GL for a while in The Casting is just the lamest thing ever

I feel like I understand even less about Dark Days now

Roth fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 13, 2017