Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

disaster pastor posted:

Bought our first home, looking for peace of mind on one hopefully minor thing.

House has natural gas, and the vent in the living room (I think it's for the heat; it's much larger than I'd expect for the central air) is right where we want our 125 gallon fish tank to go. There's no better spot and quite likely no other spot when you consider size and weight.

How much, rough ballpark, would it cost to move that vent? ~$500? ~$1000?

Cheapest option is going to be to build a pedestal for the fish tank. Even if you crazy overbuild with like 4x4s, it'll still be cheaper then getting someone in to move that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

disaster pastor posted:

This is entirely possible, I am very much an idiot about this stuff right now. It is almost certainly the same ventilation system. It would probably be great if it were an intake, then we'd have to worry less.

Sorry for lovely pic.

I'm certain that is a return air grille. Turn thr heat off and see if it gets warm or not. You have smaller registers around the house that provide warm air throughout. Furniture is fine to put in front as long as there is a little clearance.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Thanks, all, I appreciate it. We're not going to worry too much about it in that case.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a furnace in my basement with a condensate pump that's failing. The pump sits on the floor next to the furnace and the reservoir keeps filling up, causing the furnace to shut off. Only a couple feet from the condensate pump is a little well with a sump pump. They both already pump into the same place.

It would be pretty convenient just to let the sump pump handle it. Is there any reason I shouldn't just let the furnace drain onto the concrete floor to let the sump pump handle the water instead?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rt4 posted:

I have a furnace in my basement with a condensate pump that's failing. The pump sits on the floor next to the furnace and the reservoir keeps filling up, causing the furnace to shut off. Only a couple feet from the condensate pump is a little well with a sump pump. They both already pump into the same place.

It would be pretty convenient just to let the sump pump handle it. Is there any reason I shouldn't just let the furnace drain onto the concrete floor to let the sump pump handle the water instead?

It's a fine temporary solution, go for it.

But your sump pump is very likely real loud compared to a proper condensate pump.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah call an hvac guy. Make sure when your heat is on (or just kick your fan on) that air is coming out of it too. It could be an air return so it won't be putting out hot / cold air, but they are important so don't block it entirely.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Any Californian home-owners in this thread? I just got my county supplemental assessment for the increased property tax from a Prop13 purchase (updating to market value), and I can't figure out if that's something my escrow is going to take care of, or if I need to write a check. I mean, I can wait until Monday and try to call people, but :effort:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Any Californian home-owners in this thread? I just got my county supplemental assessment for the increased property tax from a Prop13 purchase (updating to market value), and I can't figure out if that's something my escrow is going to take care of, or if I need to write a check. I mean, I can wait until Monday and try to call people, but :effort:

The first supplemental I had to pay out of pocket. It took like 2 years to shake out despite it being simple multiplication to get it right out of the gate but...

File your homestead exemption. Get your $70 back.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I am researching leather couches for the first time (in the United States) and the struggle is real. It seems the general options are:

* cheap ikea couch (nothing against this except I want my couch to last and be of good quality, get that aged leather over time)
* Article leather couches (~2k USD - the sweet spot for budget, seem to be the most reputable direct-to-consumer internet couch) it's a price I am willing to pay, but digging into some reviews online it seems these do not hold up after a couple of years for many, with complaints including "bottoming out" when seated and hitting the wood, seat cushions slowly sliding forward, velcro attachments failing
* Paying ~2-3k more for the next level up (but having no idea what the candidates are here and no easy to find online repository of info beyond sites among the likes "apartment therapy" etc. which usually are sponsored or pointing out a couch being trendy on instragram as a plus rather than the actual build quality, and point mostly to the above direct-to-consumer lines

I think I might spring for the Article and hope for the best, but maybe sell it off down the line if it starts disappointing

Thanks for the advice goons. After a bunch of hunting I found a well-reviewed made-to-order couch store nearby that will be more expensive (~3.5k for leather 3 seater ballpark), but has a 7 yr warranty and a guarantee that the foam won't depress past a threshold. (it's in san francisco/san rafael is anyone else is in the market, will give a trip report after going in and trying the couches out: https://mysofacreation.com/)

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
So a week or two ago I was standing next to our clawfoot tub waiting for the water to warm up when I heard a clunk and suddenly the shower shut off. I could still get water to come out the tub side, but not out of the shower. This was a relatively recent installation, so I called up the manufacturer who thought it was a broken diverter cartridge (basically the valve that switches which way the water was going between the tub and shower). They sent out a replacement, which I dutifully installed, and which did not fix the problem. I was very confused.

I finally narrowed it down to a fitting between two pieces of pipe on the shower head. It turns out the diverter cartridge had a screw on the end that had worked its way loose. It shot up and jammed itself into the tiny hole in the fitting and stayed there because of the water pressure pressing it upwards.

Houses, man.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Thanks for the advice goons. After a bunch of hunting I found a well-reviewed made-to-order couch store nearby that will be more expensive (~3.5k for leather 3 seater ballpark), but has a 7 yr warranty and a guarantee that the foam won't depress past a threshold. (it's in san francisco/san rafael is anyone else is in the market, will give a trip report after going in and trying the couches out: https://mysofacreation.com/)

Congrats! Post a trip report when you get it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I am researching leather couches for the first time (in the United States) and the struggle is real. It seems the general options are:

* cheap ikea couch (nothing against this except I want my couch to last and be of good quality, get that aged leather over time)
* Article leather couches (~2k USD - the sweet spot for budget, seem to be the most reputable direct-to-consumer internet couch) it's a price I am willing to pay, but digging into some reviews online it seems these do not hold up after a couple of years for many, with complaints including "bottoming out" when seated and hitting the wood, seat cushions slowly sliding forward, velcro attachments failing
* Paying ~2-3k more for the next level up (but having no idea what the candidates are here and no easy to find online repository of info beyond sites among the likes "apartment therapy" etc. which usually are sponsored or pointing out a couch being trendy on instragram as a plus rather than the actual build quality, and point mostly to the above direct-to-consumer lines

I think I might spring for the Article and hope for the best, but maybe sell it off down the line if it starts disappointing
I ended up going bullet number 3, with Hancock & Moore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

I ended up going bullet number 3, with Hancock & Moore.

Awesome! I love our Hancock & Moore couch more than any other furniture we have.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

rt4 posted:

I had this happen to me and I called the furnace repair guy. Turns out my drain line had an airbubble that was enough to defeat the pump. A can of compressed air flushed it out and it was fine. The furnace guy didn't even charge me. YMMV

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Cross-posting from the home buying thread since I figured this might actually be more applicable to people who already own homes:

PageMaster posted:

Got an accepted offer on a house and in the course of the lending process (getting a home insurance quote) found out it sits in a high fire severity risk zone (in California) so our usual home insurance company (as well as many other ones online) will not insure it. Our options as I understand it are to find a private home insurance policy, or apply and try for a CA FAIR policy and then an additional wraparound policy for the non-fire comprehensive coverage. Anyone smart on how I would even start looking for private insurers? online google results in a ton of companies that go through the entire "get a quote, enter your personal info and address" process before kicking back to "not eligible for coverage."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Cross-posting from the home buying thread since I figured this might actually be more applicable to people who already own homes:

You need a local broker who can shop this around to 100 insurance companies for you. You're unfortunately going to need to talk on the phone with someone it's awful.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

You need a local broker who can shop this around to 100 insurance companies for you. You're unfortunately going to need to talk on the phone with someone it's awful.

I guess as long as I have someone else talking to 100 companies instead I can survive this One. I'm assuming since they're not actually selling me the insurance but getting after from it I should be able to trust what in getting from then?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

I guess as long as I have someone else talking to 100 companies instead I can survive this One. I'm assuming since they're not actually selling me the insurance but getting after from it I should be able to trust what in getting from then?

Yeah generally. They should be able to talk clearly about what you are and are not getting. There are various tiers of homeowners insurance, you want the one that is going to almost certainly get you a house rebuilt with replacement cost contents.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

high fire severity risk zone... yes, that is where I want to settle down

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

high fire severity risk zone... yes, that is where I want to settle down

Definitely not ideal, but looking at the county map I guess I'm lucky half of San Diego hasn't burned down...

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

Awesome! I love our Hancock & Moore couch more than any other furniture we have.
We've had ours for like ten years now (sofa and love seat). The dog has done some damage to the leather finish, but the structure/foam is like new. And I have five kids (and the aformentioned dog).

Head on over to myfurnitureforum.com and talk to Duane. He's the man (also a porsche guy).

Normal/full custom prices are kind of ridiculous, but they have some limited buying programs that are sort of in the realm of reasonable.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PageMaster posted:

Definitely not ideal, but looking at the county map I guess I'm lucky half of San Diego hasn't burned down...

I lived in San Diego back in 2007 when it did. No bueno.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
What are some good places to get patio furniture (online?). Local options seem to only be the usual Lowe’s/HD.

It’s for a large covered front porch so no real direct element exposure aside from temps and maybe a little rain. I feel like I keep seeing the same 5 sets rebranded online.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

gvibes posted:

We've had ours for like ten years now (sofa and love seat). The dog has done some damage to the leather finish, but the structure/foam is like new. And I have five kids (and the aformentioned dog).

Head on over to myfurnitureforum.com and talk to Duane. He's the man (also a porsche guy).

Normal/full custom prices are kind of ridiculous, but they have some limited buying programs that are sort of in the realm of reasonable.

Yup, that's where we got our couch from! Great guy, will probably buy from him again.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What are some good places to get patio furniture (online?). Local options seem to only be the usual Lowe’s/HD.

It’s for a large covered front porch so no real direct element exposure aside from temps and maybe a little rain. I feel like I keep seeing the same 5 sets rebranded online.
I've had good luck with patio furniture at estate auctions. The good stuff lasts forever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Had our new build house for just over 11 months. I just noticed today that all the clothes hangers/shelves in the master closet are pulling out of the wall.

I am so frustrated that stuff keeps breaking in my new house because it was obviously never built to last.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

LLSix posted:

Had our new build house for just over 11 months. I just noticed today that all the clothes hangers/shelves in the master closet are pulling out of the wall.

I am so frustrated that stuff keeps breaking in my new house because it was obviously never built to last.

Interested to see what more experienced people are going to say about this. I am having the same crisis; i bought a new build in November and have had to have them come out for warranty at least 3 times, once of the times was because NINE doors no longer closed correctly due to settling. I now have 4 drywall cracks diagonally from the doorframes they adjusted, and around 30-40% of the caulking has split from the seams around windows/trim/floor trim. (They warranty the above issues, but i feel like i'm needing more and more stuff fixed every month and their fixes cause more issues) 5 doors they've already adjusted (by grinding down the striker plates or otherwise) once again do not close correctly

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Keep on them. Pray you don't wind up with a big issue. A failed foundation or improper framing etc will result in years of court time all on your dime until settlement, unless you can convince the city to literally condemn/red-tag your house. During this time they may just say gently caress it and go out of business.

The house settling a little bit and needing some true up is normal, it settling "a lot" would point to site prep issues with the foundation.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DoubleT2172 posted:

Interested to see what more experienced people are going to say about this. I am having the same crisis; i bought a new build in November and have had to have them come out for warranty at least 3 times, once of the times was because NINE doors no longer closed correctly due to settling. I now have 4 drywall cracks diagonally from the doorframes they adjusted, and around 30-40% of the caulking has split from the seams around windows/trim/floor trim. (They warranty the above issues, but i feel like i'm needing more and more stuff fixed every month and their fixes cause more issues) 5 doors they've already adjusted (by grinding down the striker plates or otherwise) once again do not close correctly

That sucks man. I would be pissed. Your issues are far more than the closet ones above. If none of those shelf cleats had been caulked and painted, it wouldn't be as noticeable. You'd just have a gap open and close as the house breathes with the seasons.

I want to say eventually your house will rest as it is fully settled and the wood is fully acclimated and these things are less of an issue. In reality every house on my block from the 70s to 80s change with the seasons. Doors in the winter will close themselves and stay open in the summer.

Keep addressing these issues and learn to live with some imperfections.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

That sucks man. I would be pissed. Your issues are far more than the closet ones above. If none of those shelf cleats had been caulked and painted, it wouldn't be as noticeable. You'd just have a gap open and close as the house breathes with the seasons.

I want to say eventually your house will rest as it is fully settled and the wood is fully acclimated and these things are less of an issue. In reality every house on my block from the 70s to 80s change with the seasons. Doors in the winter will close themselves and stay open in the summer.

Keep addressing these issues and learn to live with some imperfections.

Thank you. I got inspired to put in the warranty email after writing this out. The builder has been A-ok so far with fixing stuff, but that's also probably because they're across the street building 3 more houses currently. I had that issue with the crazy frost last week, doors stopped closing correctly and now close right with it having warmed up. I guess i'll just bother them monthly with issues and really abuse the warranty until it runs out

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You just paid a firm at least a six figure sum to build you something that is essential for your life. Abuse the ever loving love out of it because no one's going to say at your funeral when the house collapses on you "you know, that good person DoubleT2172 never bothered the builder."

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

kw0134 posted:

You just paid a firm at least a six figure sum to build you something that is essential for your life. Abuse the ever loving love out of it because no one's going to say at your funeral when the house collapses on you "you know, that good person DoubleT2172 never bothered the builder."

I'm not worried about that, I really just feel like i'm getting gaslighted by my wife and friends who are all "houses settle, this is normal!" and i'm sitting here with 75% of the doors needing to either have the strikers ground down, or doors adjusted with what sounded like sledgehammers (i was working while they were doing it) to get them to close again. And caulking failing everywhere after 6 weeks of living here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DoubleT2172 posted:

I'm not worried about that, I really just feel like i'm getting gaslighted by my wife and friends who are all "houses settle, this is normal!" and i'm sitting here with 75% of the doors needing to either have the strikers ground down, or doors adjusted with what sounded like sledgehammers (i was working while they were doing it) to get them to close again. And caulking failing everywhere after 6 weeks of living here.

That's not a normal level of "settling" for a quality build in my area. Not even for basic development builds.

That's more along the lines of "I think I want to make a call to my real estate attorney just to get the ball rolling" to me. Because if yours is doing this I bet the rest are. And if this places gets a reputation as a bunch of shitboxes say bye bye to a bunch of your resale value.

Your real estate attorney will probably first tell you to keep detailed and immaculate records of problems, contact with the builder in both directions, times when they sent someone to do a repair (who and what), how long they were there, whether it worked or not, etc.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 2, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DoubleT2172 posted:

Youre not wrong at all. Keep it going and also keep records of all of it. Called on x day for this location, repair occurred on this day with subsequent damage.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

DoubleT2172 posted:

Uh were they grinding the doors directly or just parts of the frames? You want them adjusting the frames and strike plate and mounting for hinges and not sanding down the doors themselves because if they keep sanding doors as the house settles you’ll just have hosed up wonky-looking doors that still might not fit and if you eventually reframe the doorways you’ll have to get new doors.

I’ve seen plenty of doors in various houses/apartments that have been irreparably hosed up due to repeated sandings to make them continue to fit in their frames. But usually this happens over decades and not four months wtf. :psyduck:

Also now I’m thinking about all those hilariously crooked Tudor buildings in Lavenham, England that were built from green or otherwise insufficiently seasoned lumber.

Wonder what it was like living in these during the warping/settling period. I’m imagining a ton of cracked plaster, stuck doors, and broken windows (or maybe just cracked/deformed windows because they were leaded and made using tiny panes of glass).

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Youre not wrong at all. Keep it going and also keep records of all of it. Called on x day for this location, repair occurred on this day with subsequent damage.

All my warranties are via email thankfully so i will have records of all of it. I'm at a loss here because i really feel like this house is a lemon and told my wife as much and she just thinks i'm being overly dramatic with it.

Queen Victorian posted:

Uh were they grinding the doors directly or just parts of the frames? You want them adjusting the frames and strike plate and mounting for hinges and not sanding down the doors themselves because if they keep sanding doors as the house settles you’ll just have hosed up wonky-looking doors that still might not fit and if you eventually reframe the doorways you’ll have to get new doors.
They have only done grinding on the striker plates, not the doors or anything

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

It may be excessively built for your needs but LL Bean makes great outdoor furniture

The wood stuff is quite resilient to everything except repeated thawing/freezing. I imagine would last pretty much forever in the situation you’re describing.

But they also offer everything in a plastic composite that is utterly indestructible as far as I can tell.

I’ve left a chair and side table outside since the day I bought them, directly exposed to the New England elements 24/7 for two and a half years, and they look like they just came out of the box.

Anyone looking for stuff that can stay outdoors permanently without winter storage, it’s worth a look.

They have a decent selection of individual pieces, plus a couple full outdoor dining sets. I’m planning to buy several pieces in the next few weeks.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

That's not a normal level of "settling" for a quality build in my area. Not even for basic development builds.

That's more along the lines of "I think I want to make a call to my real estate attorney just to get the ball rolling" to me. Because if yours is doing this I bet the rest are. And if this places gets a reputation as a bunch of shitboxes say bye bye to a bunch of your resale value.

Your real estate attorney will probably first tell you to keep detailed and immaculate records of problems, contact with the builder in both directions, times when they sent someone to do a repair (who and what), how long they were there, whether it worked or not, etc.

What could a real estate attorney realistically do for me? This is only my second house I've bought, the first one was completely trouble free and I really have no idea about any of this, I'm sorry for the dumb question.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DoubleT2172 posted:

What could a real estate attorney realistically do for me? This is only my second house I've bought, the first one was completely trouble free and I really have no idea about any of this, I'm sorry for the dumb question.

Construction defect is the term to Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

DoubleT2172 posted:

All my warranties are via email thankfully so i will have records of all of it. I'm at a loss here because i really feel like this house is a lemon and told my wife as much and she just thinks i'm being overly dramatic with it.

I don’t think you’re being dramatic about it. Settling to the point of doors not working in a matter of months really doesn’t seem normal. Hell, my house is 110 years old and all my doors still fit and most of them still actually latch. Some of my fellow prewar house-owning friends are less lucky and have wonky doors and uneven floors and whatever, but hey, that’s a prewar house for you. No excuse in new construction.

quote:

They have only done grinding on the striker plates, not the doors or anything

Okay good.

For outdoor furniture, if you’re in the Northeast, check out some Lancaster, PA-based Amish furniture showrooms/brokers (their websites, that is).