Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I can take or leave the Daily Show these days but Trevor Noah is really cool and everyone should read his memoir of growing up in South Africa directly before, during and after Apartheid as a mixed race child (or better yet, listen to the audiobook which is really loving good and sees Noah speaking around 8 different languages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trevor Noah's standup act is really good but I don't think he's a very good host for something like the Daily Show. He kinda Craig Kilborns it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

I can take or leave the Daily Show these days but Trevor Noah is really cool and everyone should read his memoir of growing up in South Africa directly before, during and after Apartheid as a mixed race child (or better yet, listen to the audiobook which is really loving good and sees Noah speaking around 8 different languages).
His story is super interesting but I wish he was anywhere near that interesting on The Daily Show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

KEEN! He's a top guy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that book is great, can highly recommend.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah I listened to it earlier this year and it was really really good. His mom is on one of his standup specials after that thing that happens that I won't spoil. You can really see where he got it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

Trevor Noah's standup act is really good but I don't think he's a very good host for something like the Daily Show. He kinda Craig Kilborns it.

drat, dude. You don't have to like him and that's fine, but comparing someone to Kilborn is going a bit far.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Game of Thrones is starting to lose me. I liked the show a lot when they were adapting the books but now that the writers are striking out on their own the characterizations and plotting has suffered immensely. After last night's episode I think I'm actively rooting for the Walkers to storm in, kill everyone, and take back Westeros.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lelandjs posted:

I think Game of Thrones is starting to lose me. I liked the show a lot when they were adapting the books but now that the writers are striking out on their own the characterizations and plotting has suffered immensely. After last night's episode I think I'm actively rooting for the Walkers to storm in, kill everyone, and take back Westeros.

They can do whatever as long as plot-boat sails on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah all the characters are teleporting dumbasses now. But hey, there's only 7 episodes left in the entire show now, may as well stick it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ABC is doing a live action Jetsons because everyone is creatively bankrupt.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/08/21/live-action-reboot-the-jetsons-abc/

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

I want to get off Peak TV's wide ride

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

lelandjs posted:

I want to get off Peak TV's wide ride

Maybe Jane will stop this crazy thing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bull3964 posted:

Looking forward to the inevitable Variety article Jane! Stop This Crazy Thing! - Inside ABC's $100 million Jetsons debacle and how a single put pilot order almost ruined the Big Three circa March 2020.

Honestly, the most baffling thing about this entire situation is that they want to do it as a multicam.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I'm more surprised by the fact that The Jetsons & WWE: Robo-WrestleMania! is apparently a thing that exists.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't be, there's a bunch of those things these days.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Reminder that there's an eclipse going on right now. Check it out but be safe.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I'll DVR it, please nobody post spoilers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh it's overcast here.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

The eclipse was in purgatory all along

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snak posted:

The Claw Vipers are at it again. :ohdear:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You have to Save the Cheerleader before the eclipse happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

You have to Save the Cheerleader before the eclipse happens.

Remember how the eclipse that gave everyone their powers turned out to not have done that? It's just that all of a sudden a group of unrelated people realized they had powers at the same time? Except then there was ANOTHER eclipse later on and for some reason everyone lost their powers while it was going?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What I'm saying is that Heroes sucked.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Night of the Comet 2: Day of the Eclipse

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

IRQ posted:

I was really into it at first, but it peaked half way through and never recovered.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

"We all imagine ourselves the agents of our destiny, capable of determining our own fate. But have we truly any choice in when we rise or when we fall? Or does a force larger than ourselves bid us our direction? Is it evolution that takes us by the hand? Does science point our way? Or is it God who intervenes, keeping us safe?"

frrrrrrrrrrt never got into it and I'm thrilled in retrospect

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Just like the Nissan Versa.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Remember how the eclipse that gave everyone their powers turned out to not have done that? It's just that all of a sudden a group of unrelated people realized they had powers at the same time? Except then there was ANOTHER eclipse later on and for some reason everyone lost their powers while it was going?

Don't remember the eclipse giving them their powers. I remember the one where there's an eclipse which removes everyone's powers and it led to one bit that frustrated me a lot (more so than everything else on the show at that point), where Claire has lost her healing powers and gets shot, then when she's in the hospital her immune system stops working and she gets every possible disease at once, which naturally makes the doctors suspicious so they call the police.

Episode ends with these policemen showing up and saying they have a few questions for her mother.

Next episode starts with her powers coming back, her getting better and her mother checking her out and taking her back home.

I honestly can't think of another modern drama show that just flat-out ignored a cliffhanger without even trying to half-rear end a clunky resolution.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm kinda glad that Heroes has gone mostly forgotten as far as the whole mid-2000s post-Lost serialized TV zeitgeist went.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's also Hayden Panettiere's birthday today. Heroes will never be this relevant again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Just like the Nissan Versa.

YOu mean Rogue?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I just now in 2017 while watching the NASA stream, realized how incredibly silly and impossible an eclipse that went around the entire world would be. I never actually thought about that before.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't remember the eclipse giving them their powers. I remember the one where there's an eclipse which removes everyone's powers and it led to one bit that frustrated me a lot (more so than everything else on the show at that point), where Claire has lost her healing powers and gets shot, then when she's in the hospital her immune system stops working and she gets every possible disease at once, which naturally makes the doctors suspicious so they call the police.

Episode ends with these policemen showing up and saying they have a few questions for her mother.

Next episode starts with her powers coming back, her getting better and her mother checking her out and taking her back home.

I honestly can't think of another modern drama show that just flat-out ignored a cliffhanger without even trying to half-rear end a clunky resolution.

I'm glad I quit Heroes half way through so every once and awhile I can hear something like this and just laugh at how stupid it got. I'd like to believe people just make up stuff about Heroes and I'm happy to believe it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

e: lol wrong thread

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 21, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uh, okay?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh GoT is getting dumb.....

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

I'm kinda glad that Heroes has gone mostly forgotten as far as the whole mid-2000s post-Lost serialized TV zeitgeist went.

Sure, when Heroes debuted, Lost was going through its disappointing early season three stretch and people were speculating that Heroes was "the new Lost".

Heroes was nominated for the best drama series Emmy. It's competition was season six of Sopranos (which won) and the third seasons of House, Boston Legal and Grey's Anatomy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, when Heroes debuted, Lost was going through its disappointing early season three stretch and people were speculating that Heroes was "the new Lost".

Heroes was nominated for the best drama series Emmy. It's competition was season six of Sopranos (which won) and the third seasons of House, Boston Legal and Grey's Anatomy.

Oh man first season Heroes was so special to me because, for the first time in my life, I had unlimited access to both television and the internet. I went crazy watching the show and discussing it online. I didn't even mind the finale at the time.

Then over the summer break I settled down a bit and went back to fill in gaps of my TV knowledge and started to realize that maybe Heroes wasn't so special after all. Then season two happened and I gave up halfway through.

I still love season one, though, and really believe that it deserves better than to be lumped into the same category as the other Lostalikes. It's probably the third best Bryan Fuller show.

Side note: I also watched Drive when it premiered and thought it was gonna be huge, only to have my hopes crushed not even a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, Drive. That's a random "I might grow to love this show" nugget from the vault.

I was really into Traveler for a minute.

• Locked thread