Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
switch is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I don't know if it was mentioned in the last 80 pages of zelda spoilers/complaining about zelda spoilers, but apparently the switch dock is available from the Nintendo store but only from this one specific subsection page of the Nintendo store site, which for some reason is linked nowhere on the Switch accessory page. Why? :iiam:

The retail Switch dock set SKU includes power and HDMI cables, whereas the dock listed under replacement parts is just the dock. I dunno, man, maybe quietly putting the dock on the replacement parts page keeps the hoi polloi from buying it and plugging in whatever 2.5 watt charger they've got lying around???

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Cheeto posted:

The retail Switch dock set SKU includes power and HDMI cables, whereas the dock listed under replacement parts is just the dock. I dunno, man, maybe quietly putting the dock on the replacement parts page keeps the hoi polloi from buying it and plugging in whatever 2.5 watt charger they've got lying around???

You say that like that wasn't the first thing I tried :v:

A standalone macbook USB-C charger charges the switch fine, but if you plug that charger into the dock itself the switch will bitch about nonstandard chargers and refuse to switch display outputs.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Housh posted:

snipperclips good with kids or am I doomed to pick up 1 2 Switch for family fun time?

How old are your kids? My four year old did okay with it albeit didn't pick up on the nuances of the controls very well, and my two year old at one point put the joystick in her mouth to move the character.

Are the Jackbox games kid friendly in that it's easy for them to control, play and pick up?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Are the Jackbox games kid friendly in that it's easy for them to control, play and pick up?

The Jackbox games will require as many browsers as players (and no one actually uses the console itself. It's more of a shared screen displaying the action) which usually means smartphones or laptops. And the players are typically expected to be able to spell and come up with wordplay. I'd say the games are around 10+ to be playable (but, probably don't play this with 10 year olds), and older than that to be "competent".

They're more like board/party games with a digital host, anyway.

A lot of the games are more like Cards Against Humanity or Dixit in playstyle than anything else.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 31, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't remember, but the categories and topics are not in and of themselves adult right? That's all provided by the players?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe.

They're rated T for "Fantasy Violence, Sexual Themes, Drug Reference, Mild Language, Crude Humor". At least the first one is.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm an idiot and thought my dock or Switch was broken, because it wouldn't transmit to the TV when I docked it. Then I realized I got in the habit of putting it into sleep mode and then docking it. Sleep mode + Dock = still in sleep mode.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

eonwe posted:

switch is good

so good

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I find myself really liking the different options for playing Switch. I was sitting at the kitchen table after work last night and just had the Switch sitting down and the Joycons in my hand. It was so comfortable to just let my hands rest on my legs and play.

After about 30 minutes I just attached the Joycons and went to grab my Pro controller. I feel like I don't give tabletop Switch enough TLC. I'm usually handheld or docked.

God drat Switch is cool.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

andipossess posted:

Maybe.

They're rated T for "Fantasy Violence, Sexual Themes, Drug Reference, Mild Language, Crude Humor". At least the first one is.

You can put on family friendly mode IIRC

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Let the April Fools 'hilarity' begin

http://www.vooks.net/legend-zelda-breath-wild-themed-jelly-beans-added-nintendo/

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Anyone else having issues with the Switch sending out an HDMI signal when docked in sleep mode? I have a 5 HDMI splitter for my consoles that automatically changes if there's a new signal, and when I'm playing another console and the Switch is connected in sleep mode, it occasionally just changes to the Switch with no signal.

Really annoying and I hope that's something that Nintendo cares enough about to patch out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I've got digital, got rerun as well (and yes victory laps own, I don't know why they only trigger from the lamb though...had a great run where I was like "yeah I'll dual fist these hard mode completion marks", got the lamb down, declined the victory lap, killed mega satan...and didn't get marks for either :downs:), and one of the earlier pictures I posted was from a Lost conversion victory lap with sad poop mini electrified bombs and it was, as mentioned, chugging. (That was also with game-breaking amounts of tear size up too, though, so...)

If you can manage to get four victories with a victory lap (the run has you as The Lost, so better have dead cat or holy mantle in advance) then you unlock the option to continue any run upon finishing minus challenges. Especially fun to do that if you get a sacrifice room on floor one and decide you want to just quickly kill Mega Satan.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i laid in bed and played the switch last night

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

andipossess posted:

The Jackbox games will require as many browsers as players (and no one actually uses the console itself. It's more of a shared screen displaying the action) which usually means smartphones or laptops. And the players are typically expected to be able to spell and come up with wordplay. I'd say the games are around 10+ to be playable (but, probably don't play this with 10 year olds), and older than that to be "competent".

They're more like board/party games with a digital host, anyway.

A lot of the games are more like Cards Against Humanity or Dixit in playstyle than anything else.

Thanks for the explanation, appreciate it. Think I'll stick with Snipperclips for the kiddos for now.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

Thanks for the explanation, appreciate it. Think I'll stick with Snipperclips for the kiddos for now.

Lots of people have been playing Jackbox games on Twitch lately if you want to watch for 10 minutes and see how it plays out. But agreed, they are probably not for kids. My holiday office party has this every year and some of the games set up questions for innuendo, like Quiplash.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It sounds crazy but it's really fun

Jackbox has good skype pal games as well even if you're not getting it for Switch

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Spellman posted:

It sounds crazy but it's really fun

Jackbox has good skype pal games as well even if you're not getting it for Switch

For Drawful I always make my avatar a nutsack so that when people are drawing it shows a hand reaching out and flicking some balls.

Drawful and Fibbage were the best out of Party Pack #1.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jackbox fuckin owns

you can do online right? I haven't done it in a while. can some people here be my jackbox party pack 3 friends

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched a quicklook of Snake Pass, and I'm not really interested. It seems kind of like Lucky's Tale where it's a cutesy world and is fun for a little bit but then I'll get bored and never finish it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

I watched a quicklook of Snake Pass, and I'm not really interested. It seems kind of like Lucky's Tale where it's a cutesy world and is fun for a little bit but then I'll get bored and never finish it.

Funny story, it looks like the game is maybe 12 levels so you'll probably finish it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have 27% after getting all collectibles in 4 levels.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phantasium posted:

I have 27% after getting all collectibles in 4 levels.

So according to math I guess there's about 14.8 levels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

parallelodad posted:

So according to math I guess there's about 14.8 levels.

Wow, they couldn't even finish all the levels? Definitely not buying this now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

snakepass is the definition of indie game that you buy for less than ten bucks in a sale, or just happens to show up in a bundle eventually

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm getting there's probably a couple of boss levels or gimmick stage or something that accounts for lower percentage per level.

While I've enjoyed this game so far having done the first five levels, it does seem rather small and probably should have been $10.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Counterpoint: Snakepass is the only video game where you can chill and pretend to be a snake and is therefore worth the $20 for it

[Fake edit: Snake on nokia phones does not count]

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lelandjs posted:

Counterpoint: Snakepass is the only video game where you can chill and pretend to be a snake and is therefore worth the $20 for it

[Fake edit: Snake on nokia phones does not count]

Donkey Kong Country 2: Duffy's Kong Quest

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Donkey Kong Country 2: Duffy's Kong Quest

They made a game just out of the Snake Buddy parts in DKC2 but then only made it as long as all those segments combined put together.

Actually the thing that amuses me about Snake Pass is they made this happy, doofy snake... but the type of snake they used is a coral snake.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Alternatively Snake Pass is a cool little indie game that'll tide you over until Mario Kart launches

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
will u guys play mario kart and jackbox with me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I only play with cool dudez

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are there any challenging puzzles or anything? The bit I watched made it look like nothing but a collectathon but the trailer seems like there's some hoozits and whatzits you have to manipulate later on.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

eonwe posted:

will u guys play mario kart and jackbox with me

I'm on the shelf about buying MK8 again also i aint gonna jack any other dudes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

Are there any challenging puzzles or anything? The bit I watched made it look like nothing but a collectathon but the trailer seems like there's some hoozits and whatzits you have to manipulate later on.

You gotta get some rocks in holes and pull some levers but the puzzles are mainly environmental in a "how the heck do I get over there without killing myself?" way. Those are usually pretty open ended too. I can cheese a platforming puzzle here about as often as you can cheese a physics puzzle in Zelda

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Snake Pass has facial expression controls. It owns.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

I'm on my 3rd Victory Lap in Isaac, and I have exploding multi butt bombs that explode into tears and fill the screen with explosions, and I STILL haven't gotten any slow down whatsoever.

Like I literally do not know what combo of items have caused slowdown for other people, but my copy has been running perfectly no matter what insane combo of items I've gotten.

Approaching 50 hours played thus far. Have had 0 complaints.
100% cannot recommend people grab this enough

Buy Jackbox on your Switch

Everyone just connects to a website from their phones
http://jackbox.tv/

There's just a small handful of problematic items/combos that could be easily fixed with a patch. Toxic Shock does a screen effect when you enter every single room that sloooows poo poo down big time; it'll ruin a run. I've had Tammy's Head + Brimstone do the same, as well as Technology 2.0 lasers in any Curse of Darkness floor configuration against a dense boss such as Mom's Heart. I've run into each of those exactly once, so thankfully it's pretty rare. The last one actually helped, similar to how bullet hell games will crawl against bosses when they poo poo out tons of bullets all at once.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 31, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dizz posted:

I'm on the shelf about buying MK8 again also i aint gonna jack any other dudes

fuk u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Hey I just got my Best Buy Switch today. Are there any must-have accessories that I should go out and look for? Like a carrying case, Pro controller, that charging grip?

• Locked thread