Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Cultic lost me with the chapel ambush level. It's actually probably the most precipitous drop in fun I've ever had playing any game. gently caress me for playing on Extreme difficulty I guess but until now the game has never felt unfair or thrown wave after wave of deadly instant-kill almost-hitscan enemies spawning from all directions (including already-cleared areas) without any checkpoints. I finally got to the point where I cleared everything out and was about to take on the tank boss and suddenly a regular machine gun cultist came up behind me out of a room I had already cleared and killed me instantly.

edit: Also why is there a button to light a Molotov and throw it at your own feet.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Perhaps you could try playing on a difficulty that is not Extreme.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Perhaps you could try playing on a difficulty that is not Extreme.
I'm six levels deep and the difficulty has been great so far. I wouldn't want any of the rest of the game to be any easier than it already is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Volte posted:

edit: Also why is there a button to light a Molotov and throw it at your own feet.

Yeah, I don't really like how the molotov/dynamite have separate controls for light and throw. I don't really see the practicality in throwing an unlit molotov cocktail, why should I have to press right click before holding left click or tapping right click?

I get the quick dynamite button, that's a loving life saver, but the added steps when you hit 7 seems unnecessary.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Left click should be light and throw with power based on how long you press the button, right click should be light and hold (then throw with left). Maybe right click again to drop?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Volte posted:

Cultic lost me with the chapel ambush level. It's actually probably the most precipitous drop in fun I've ever had playing any game. gently caress me for playing on Extreme difficulty I guess but until now the game has never felt unfair or thrown wave after wave of deadly instant-kill almost-hitscan enemies spawning from all directions (including already-cleared areas) without any checkpoints. I finally got to the point where I cleared everything out and was about to take on the tank boss and suddenly a regular machine gun cultist came up behind me out of a room I had already cleared and killed me instantly.

The hitscanners aren't actually hitscanners, it's just very fast projectiles. I dunno about extreme but you can definitely dodge them on lower difficulties. Though I note on Very Hard the axe cultists have started leading their targets lmao. The chapel fight definitely is not anything like as much of a difficulty spike on the lower difficulties as what you're describing.

Standard and Hard were both far too easy, but Very Hard seems to be a bit better. Though the increase in difficulty is mostly more shotgunner and sten gunner placements. I'm not going to try Extreme, I don't think the game has the ability to scale any further without getting bullshit. I am envisaging 0 reaction time shotgunners around every blind corner.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm also playing Cultic, on Standard difficulty because I'm bad at games and I don't like getting really stressed about it. I agree that it's mostly pretty easy, but I appreciate that the developer didn't just go straight for the hardest difficulties getgud poo poo. He seems to approach offering a wide variety of difficulties as an accessibility feature and I like that.

Anyway I'm playing about one level a day to savor it a bit and because I don't have that much time between work and kids. I went through the third level last night and the final showdown in the huge building in the mining town just before you jump down into the mine almost got me!

I also like that you can approach most fights in a variety of different ways; you can spend a lot of time prepping an area, you snipe off enemies from behind cover, sometimes you can wreck them with environmental poo poo, or you can just run in guns blazing. You feel like a badass when you come up on a large area full of enemies and just start throwing lanterns and explosive barrels down on them, jumping down and landing in a crouch/roll.

I also dig the vibe, it strikes a really nice balance between horror and action; there are moments like the cave in level 1 that are really creepy and moody but then hit you with that OH gently caress when the bodies start shambling towards you and the chainsaw guy explodes through the wall. The first encounter in the ship with the telekinetic enemies, where you grab the key and then a barrel in front of you starts lazy floating up before flying at you is a real vibe.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Standard and Hard were both far too easy, but Very Hard seems to be a bit better. Though the increase in difficulty is mostly more shotgunner and sten gunner placements. I'm not going to try Extreme, I don't think the game has the ability to scale any further without getting bullshit. I am envisaging 0 reaction time shotgunners around every blind corner.
I don't find the reaction times to be that bad, not as bad as Blood at least. At least, they may instantly react to you but you have a split second before they actually fire, so you can still get out of the way without taking too many hits. If you're stuck without cover with a machine gunner in line of sight, you're basically dead though (which is what happened to me in the aforementioned fight, from behind even). I haven't tried any lower difficulties so I can't be sure. I basically picked Extreme just as a lark and planned to restart when it revealed itself to be near-impossible but I found myself not having too tough of a time and having a lot of fun, so I stuck with it. Same reason I ended up playing Prodeus on Ultra Hard. But now I feel a little bit like I've been had.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Flubby posted:

Thank goodness this is my favorite genre because it seems blessed. Not cursed like the space sim guys.

Rope bondage physics: a revolution in simulation fidelity! :pcgaming:

Space fighter combat: Mooooom, do I have to? :reddit:

Just give me a Freespace clone in VR :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Volte posted:

I don't find the reaction times to be that bad, not as bad as Blood at least. At least, they may instantly react to you but you have a split second before they actually fire, so you can still get out of the way without taking too many hits. If you're stuck without cover with a machine gunner in line of sight, you're basically dead though (which is what happened to me in the aforementioned fight, from behind even). I haven't tried any lower difficulties so I can't be sure. I basically picked Extreme just as a lark and planned to restart when it revealed itself to be near-impossible but I found myself not having too tough of a time and having a lot of fun, so I stuck with it. Same reason I ended up playing Prodeus on Ultra Hard. But now I feel a little bit like I've been had.

Well, Enemies don't otherwise constantly respawn except for the final boss arena, and even then never behind you. I guess there's the ambush in the canyon leading to the Asylum, but that is very obviously a trap.

Oh, jeez, the snipers might be a pain on Extreme.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grimthwacker posted:

That, however, looks absolutely nothing like Half-Life. They should probably ditch the vestigial resemblances and make it its own property at this point.

Yeah, it would be cool if they actually leaned into the Half-Life aesthetic and setting and made it like the Hazard Suit turns Gordon into even more of a monster but it looks like anything Half-Life in that is barely superficial

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this looks loving poo poo

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this looks loving poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Looks bad and I'm also confused why you wouldn't just make it your own thing at that point.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

drat, a lot of Prodeus community maps are amazing! I'm playing through the Community Winners "campaign" and it's been non-stop bangers. That give me a lot of hope for the future!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Are any of the Dusk mods out there any good? I remember when the SDK came out and not really anything since then.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it looks like a clip compilation of stuff from fake games made for tv shows

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Feel as though I’m one of the few who don’t like Cultic. Guns don’t feel satisfying, enemies are boring, don’t like how it looks. It’s like blood but not as good.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Volte posted:

I had already beat the game on Very Hard and wanted more so I started up Extreme. It was doable, but you had to be a lot more cautious and be sure to ambush the enemies as much as possible. But The Chapel was my stopping point as well. Too many enemies to use the careful approach. Had to revert back to being a maniac. Jumping around, always on the move, sliding all the time. I was blowing up groups with quick dynamite, saving the health and armor for when I really needed it, and playing it over so many times I was memorizing the groups that come in and where they come in. It was never enough. I would be hurting badly by the time the tank rolled in. If it was just the tank and no adds it would be possible for me. If there were more heal packs or if the enemies dropped heals more often that also might make it possible. As it is, it's beyond me to do. I think Hard and Very Hard feel just right.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Overbite posted:

Feel as though I’m one of the few who don’t like Cultic. Guns don’t feel satisfying, enemies are boring, don’t like how it looks. It’s like blood but not as good.

Did you at least get the SSG? :ohdear:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Overbite posted:

Guns don’t feel satisfying

Are you aiming at the heads? Gettem in the head and they go skptch, it's great

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I finally managed to get past the chapel ambush on Extreme in Cultic so I'm un-ragequitting (for now). Still quite a bullshit spike in difficulty compared to the entire game before this point though, but I guess when you pick the bottom difficulty in a retro shooter, you're signing up for bullshit. Hopefully it settles back down for the last few levels.

I managed to capture a video of my successful attempt. It's still processing, so I dunno if the dogshit quality at times is because of that or just because Youtube butchered it or what. Spoilers for E1M6 of Cultic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psad3bOuPfo

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Flubby posted:

I had already beat the game on Very Hard and wanted more so I started up Extreme. It was doable, but you had to be a lot more cautious and be sure to ambush the enemies as much as possible. But The Chapel was my stopping point as well. Too many enemies to use the careful approach. Had to revert back to being a maniac. Jumping around, always on the move, sliding all the time. I was blowing up groups with quick dynamite, saving the health and armor for when I really needed it, and playing it over so many times I was memorizing the groups that come in and where they come in. It was never enough. I would be hurting badly by the time the tank rolled in. If it was just the tank and no adds it would be possible for me. If there were more heal packs or if the enemies dropped heals more often that also might make it possible. As it is, it's beyond me to do. I think Hard and Very Hard feel just right.
It took me like 8 tries to beat that level on extreme. The difficulty spike definitely comes from not being able to quick save, I didn't find it entirely impossible cause they don't actually swarm you from all sides if you don't stay in the chapel. I'd jump out the front window after the gunfire, wait a bit then toss the lantern on the box back inside where they all gathered. And from then on I'd just cautiously circle around the outside, taking out groups with the many explosive barrels they have lying around.
The AI isn't the smartest so they would have trouble navigating around corners and that's what saved me a lot of the time, gives you more time to round them into groups. The final waves got kinda messy but there's plenty of stuff to grab out front and front. That's when I used the grenade launcher to take out the rest, then I stayed in the church and sniped the tank. A couple guys will try and sneak up on you but not a whole lot

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Volte posted:

I managed to capture a video of my successful attempt. It's still processing, so I dunno if the dogshit quality at times is because of that or just because Youtube butchered it or what. Spoilers for E1M6 of Cultic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psad3bOuPfo

Not a sten fan huh

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Not a sten fan huh
It doesn't do so great at a distance, and if I can help it, I'm always at a distance.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Volte posted:

Hopefully it settles back down for the last few levels.
It does settle down til you get to the final boss. Some weapons are ridiculously good for that fight though

Also, never underestimate the power of the mighty foot.
https://giant.gfycat.com/MetallicSpectacularAtlanticridleyturtle.mp4

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Grimthwacker posted:

drat, a lot of Prodeus community maps are amazing! I'm playing through the Community Winners "campaign" and it's been non-stop bangers. That give me a lot of hope for the future!

Glad to hear! I made Thermal and enjoyed every second of it. The map editor built into Prodeus is really solid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cultic looks like I clicked EGA instead of VGA in the graphics settings and my brain tragically instead of going oooooh nostalgia for that look, has revulsion.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

Cultic looks like I clicked EGA instead of VGA in the graphics settings and my brain tragically instead of going oooooh nostalgia for that look, has revulsion.

Yeah I had the same when I first played the demo, it took a while. Just imagine you're playing an old Mac game on LSD

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Barudak posted:

firm confirmation that cultic rules, if an always-wrong negative zone poster like you doesn't like it

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's a little heavy on the posterization, games back then tended to do their best to avoid it using dithering (well, the good ones).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it doesn't matter that games back then didn't look like that because it's not attempting to just mimic the look of older games. it's doing its own thing and it looks great doing it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yeah, the color palette 'restriction' goes a bit too far, nostalgia wise. But it's a good game despite that and you get accustomed to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

it doesn't matter that games back then didn't look like that because it's not attempting to just mimic the look of older games. it's doing its own thing and it looks great doing it

:yeah:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

It's very clearly going for a Blood look but slipping and falling into TekWar. There's deliberately, purposefully ugly (Cruelty Squad) but this doesn't read as that.

I don't hate it but does make some of the sprites hard to read, the aliasing and poorly defined contrast cause can cause it to dissolve into pixel mush. Like it didn't get a final pass or two.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 17, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I tried that fake half life doom mod, I couldn’t leave the first room in the boot camp and I could figure out how to jump in the vent in the main game about two mins in so I deleted it :cheers:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cool

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I tried that fake half life doom mod, I couldn’t leave the first room in the boot camp and I could figure out how to jump in the vent in the main game about two mins in so I deleted it :cheers:

Get in the vent or I will have you bent.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

It does settle down til you get to the final boss. Some weapons are ridiculously good for that fight though

Also, never underestimate the power of the mighty foot.
https://giant.gfycat.com/MetallicSpectacularAtlanticridleyturtle.mp4

I can’t wait for the speed runs with the player character just jumping and kicking nonstop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Don't forget that melee damage scales with your velocity, doing that flying kick at 45 mph into an enemy should either liquefy them or at least send them flying very far away.