Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
CLUTIC IS A DIFFERENT BEAST, AND THE SAME ANIMAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Serephina posted:

I slept on DUSK for ages despite all the gushing in this thread, and felt dumb as it was clearly awesome and I enjoyed every minute of it. Prodeus is keeping me happy as it's growing on me while I slowly nibble away at it, but with all this talk about Cultic is making me look at it too. I never played Blood (nor do I feel compelled to), so does Cultic kinda need that background, or will a philistine who likes Doom/Quake/Rage find love in it?

No, just play it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cultic takes visual inspiration from Blood but doesn't really play like it at all. In a lot of ways the gameplay was designed to be as different from Blood as possible, by (almost) entirely eliminating hitscanners and giving you an opportunity to prepare for a lot of the fights.

szary posted:

Cultic rules, the part in the Mining Town after you get the parts got me real good.

Hell yeah, just those journals about "imbuing the dead" leading to "disastrous results" establishing a lot of dread, you know it's zombies coming. The game has been real good about letting you know something terrible is about to happen. Later in the crypts there's all the journals about imbued skeletons and you're very aware that they're all going to resurrect and you're going to have to fight your way back through them later. What I didn't expect was for them to have guns.

There are also all the creepy early sightings of new enemies just before your fight them, like the first time you see one of the big tummymouth buds stroll by behind a locked gate just ahead.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 18, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

IronicDongz posted:

for what it's worth-after beating Cultic on hard, I'm now doing an extreme run and I beat the chapel ambush first try.
obviously I have knowledge of the level going into it, but regardless I don't really feel like it's a very big difficulty spike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmJlWaGWPbg

I think this is definitely a part of the game where it pays to not be too passive-in open areas you're very hard for enemies to hit if you keep moving.
(youtube video compression is really rough on this game, good lord)
Yeah I think if I had played the game already it wouldn't have been so bad. Having only played on Extreme, I was playing extremely passively up to that point, basically treating the game like a cover shooter, which in my defense is a totally viable playstyle up to then. If they had thrown me into the fire at any point before that, I would have been more prepared than suddenly getting swarmed and insta-killed. I basically had to re-learn how to play the game during that fight. I think if I tried it again I could probably do it on my first couple of attempts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How anyone puts hitscanners in their game after DUSK is beyond me.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Are you talking about Cultic? There are no hitscanners in that game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cultic: I'm pretty sure the ghost/spirit/whatever enemy's psychic attack is hitscan

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baron von Eevl posted:

Cultic: I'm pretty sure the ghost/spirit/whatever enemy's psychic attack is hitscan

Well, it's like the archvile. Hitscan, sure, but there's a little delay between it starting and taking damage where you can duck to cover or pop them in the head.

Also:

:toot:

What is and is not a formal secret in this game sometimes seems super arbitrary but I got them in the end.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, it's like the archvile. Hitscan, sure, but there's a little delay between it starting and taking damage where you can duck to cover or pop them in the head.
There's one section in The Crypts where it's on the other side of a grate in the next room and will stunlock you in place and kill you in seconds (on Extreme at least) if they even have a single pixel of line-of-sight. It took me quite a while to figure out what the hell was happening. It should have some kind of visible tether at least I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

szary posted:

Are you talking about Cultic? There are no hitscanners in that game.

No but some retro shooters have.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Volte posted:

There's one section in The Crypts where it's on the other side of a grate in the next room and will stunlock you in place and kill you in seconds (on Extreme at least) if they even have a single pixel of line-of-sight. It took me quite a while to figure out what the hell was happening. It should have some kind of visible tether at least I think.

Yeah, there's some utterly bullshit placement with them sometimes. I think that room might be my least favourite in the whole episode because of that and the jumping you have to do to get to the secret.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cultic lvl 5: I didn't mind that one behind the grate too much, it can't get you if you're near the stairs, particularly on that side

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They’re not archville bad on hard at least. I’m terrible at archvilles.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They go down very easy at least.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I honestly find the telekinetic attacks worse than the LOS one because of how hard it can be to keep track of in a big fight.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A new add-on has been added to the Unity-based Doom re-releases on PC and console: Harmony by Thomas van der Velden! This isn't quite the Harmony you might be familiar with, though. Jimmy Paddock's Harmony MIDI pack is included, there's two brand new levels with a new monster and new music, and completely redone sound effects by the lead sound guy at modern-day Id.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet. That’s a lot of effort for such an old wad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The Kins posted:

A new add-on has been added to the Unity-based Doom re-releases on PC and console: Harmony by Thomas van der Velden! This isn't quite the Harmony you might be familiar with, though. Jimmy Paddock's Harmony MIDI pack is included, there's two brand new levels with a new monster and new music, and completely redone sound effects by the lead sound guy at modern-day Id.

amazing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I saw an article about Duke Nukem 2 being completely decompiled and recompiled, and then someone mentioned something about the Rigel engine. So I looked it all up, and while this is 10 months old, look!

Duke Nukem 2, widescreen, 1080p, at 60fps. Pretty nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wkKhNkMoY

Edit: wait, what the gently caress Apogee themselves are doing this (officially) to their games, too? Monster Bash!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31kSutx5AjI

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 19, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Groovelord Neato posted:

How anyone puts hitscanners in their game after DUSK is beyond me.
variety is the spice of life. not everything should just try to be dusk

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
New Cultic patch today regarding everyone's favourite mid-game encounter (among other things):

quote:

E1M6's encounter was a major pain point to the community, While this encounter is intended to be difficult, I do understand that replaying the entire mission was tedious, and not the kind of challenge I wanted for the players. Due to this, the following changes have been made:
Checkpoint introduced between third wave of cultists and the boss entrance
An additional supply cache is made available when the boss appears
The boss now has an additional attack
Smaller amount of cultists in wave 1
Cultist spawns after the boss' arrival are now limited to low-rank cultists

These seem like good changes. Getting to the very end and dying was super demoralizing the first time it happened.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't mind hitscanner enemies if they're used well. The chaingunner wouldn't be the same if they weren't hitscan. The cultists in Blood can get a bit ridiculous but I’m not sure I’d change them either.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

This is the guy who did Revolution!, right? That was a decent collection, guess I'll check this out.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I managed to get past the ambush on Extreme in Cultic before the patch. I'm still glad for the fix. The last boss took a few tries but isn't nearly as taxing as The Chapel. I wasn't expecting Cultic to be as good as it is. And that sountrack. I think it may have dethroned Dusk at the top for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The highest points of the soundtrack for me are the zombie ambush in the woods, and the skeletons showing up ion the crypt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

variety is the spice of life. not everything should just try to be dusk

It isn't that everything should be like DUSK it's that it showed you shouldn't have them. Variety isn't a good thing just because.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Hitscan is great and ultimate classic fps doom 2 would not be anywhere near as good of a game without hitscan enemies.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Except for all the games that have them that are good like Doom. Just because Dusk didn't do it doesn't mean no one should that's stupid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Goes the other way too - perhaps there's a mod for it but I've never played Dooms with the hitscanning replaced with very fast projectiles so I can't say that was the best way to do it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Serephina posted:

I never played Blood (nor do I feel compelled to), so does Cultic kinda need that background, or will a philistine who likes Doom/Quake/Rage find love in it?

*bursts through an unlocked door* PLAY DEATHWISH

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t think I would like every game to have big chunky projectiles in it though it works well for some.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Goes the other way too - perhaps there's a mod for it but I've never played Dooms with the hitscanning replaced with very fast projectiles so I can't say that was the best way to do it.

Play Contra Doom. Due to the one hit kills nature of that mod (based on the original material of course), everything is a projectile.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There are some ground rules for hitscanners to not be automatic garbage though and they don't just apply to literal hitscanners, but even to the ultra-fast "technically a projectile" version of hitscanners too. Like accuracy should fall off with distance (if not damage as well) and individual hits should not be too devastating. That's one of my complaints about Cultic - even though the enemies aren't technically hitscanners, the machine gun cultists are basically like Doom chaingunners if they had perfect accuracy and could hit you with every shot even when they're so far away that they're only about 5 pixels tall, and on Extreme difficulty you can only take like 3-4 hits before dying.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
From the "how to make art with Among Us" meme:
https://twitter.com/Danlex_DW/status/1581969818106097665

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Volte posted:

There are some ground rules for hitscanners to not be automatic garbage though and they don't just apply to literal hitscanners, but even to the ultra-fast "technically a projectile" version of hitscanners too. Like accuracy should fall off with distance (if not damage as well) and individual hits should not be too devastating. That's one of my complaints about Cultic - even though the enemies aren't technically hitscanners, the machine gun cultists are basically like Doom chaingunners if they had perfect accuracy and could hit you with every shot even when they're so far away that they're only about 5 pixels tall, and on Extreme difficulty you can only take like 3-4 hits before dying.

I'm reminded of the hitscan chaingun robot in Descent, which was utter nonsense to face a lot of the time because it could shred you very quickly in a game where resource management was often quite tricky.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Groovelord Neato posted:

It isn't that everything should be like DUSK it's that it showed you shouldn't have them. Variety isn't a good thing just because.
I don't really believe that Dusk "showed you shouldn't have them" in any sort of definitive way. Dusk is one good game made in one particular way, and just because it didn't do something doesn't mean there's no value there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

IronicDongz posted:

The highest points of the soundtrack for me are the zombie ambush in the woods, and the skeletons showing up ion the crypt.

That ambush was loving brutal but I sorta lucked out and trivialized it by funneling them towards that bridge you had to fix and molotov'd the whole lot of them, it was beautiful.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Volte posted:

I think hitscanners telegraphing their attacks is as important as any of these.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Are there any 1v1 fps games that are like sniper duels? Man, that'd be so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've noticed that the pistol cultists tend to fire one directly at the player and one off to each side, so just being sure to sidestep seems to greatly reduce the incoming hits. The really fuckin' obnoxious enemy is the, I don't know any of their names, the blue-shrouded floating corpses, I think? They'd be fine if the dev didn't delight in placing them such that they can hit you but it's difficult to tell where they actually are- getting slowed down and drained for 10-15 health out of nowhere with no apparent attacker is really annoying.

Cultic actually does remind me of Dusk in that they both wear their influences on their sleeves but don't feel constrained to them- they're both happy to innovate and discard based on what they need.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Play Contra Doom. Due to the one hit kills nature of that mod (based on the original material of course), everything is a projectile.

Also it's got a great soundtrack harvested from various Contra games. Just a great mod all around, a must-play for fans of Doom modding.