Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Dying Light's expansion (now included in new purchases) also has more of a focus on combat with guns. I've been basically using only guns and the bow/crossbow in the expansion. There are so many exploding jerks which attract enemies that staying silent is a bit futile. I've also successfully used guns to clear out Volatile nests. Guns are quite useful despite the noise.
One thing I liked in The Following is that they really nerfed the exploding zombies' damage. They are still a pain in the rear end due to just spawning out of nowhere if you stop out in the countryside, but they're not nearly as cheap anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fawf posted:

I'm basically illiterate when it comes to computer specs, does it seem like Dark Souls 3 is gonna be especially demanding?

nah those are very reasonable

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If anyone was holding off American Truck Sim for want of truck variety, they just added a REAL (wo)man's truck today. Not one of those fancy aero-streamed ones, something with real classic American styling.

:911:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fawf posted:

I'm basically illiterate when it comes to computer specs, does it seem like Dark Souls 3 is gonna be especially demanding?

Eh, not really.
Pretty standard specs for games in the past 2 years.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

corn in the bible posted:

when people said that michael bay transformers was some betrayal of their childhood it was hilarious

what if in the future nostalgia for mbay transformers becomes a thing

nostalgia squared

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Well, prebought dark souls 3. Game + dlc for about half of what it will cost for just the base game on console.

If they do add an extra loyalty discount I guess I will just refund and rebuy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

what if in the future nostalgia for mbay transformers becomes a thing

nostalgia squared

"Oh sorry kid, I think somebody dropped your transformer toy into an industrial shredder, clumsily glued it back together, dropped it again, swept it all up in a big ball of unsightly spikes and rods and then shoved it into a package."
"....no, it's supposed to look like that."

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Here's a couple of keys as I have gotten a few myself over the years.

I can't promise they are great though, just free.

Post*l 2 - IQRHH-YB0*H-8YC7*

Zeno Cl*sh - EYJ*7-QG02E-NFB09

Enjoy

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Enjoy

took this, thanks!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

when people said that michael bay transformers was some betrayal of their childhood it was hilarious
They're still saying that. A decade later, the tears still flow.

Hasbro or Paramount or w/e just announced they're making a bumblebee movie and there were even more tears. How dare they make toy commercial into raunchy crap bluckbluster! Argh!

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Post*l 2 - IQRHH-YB0*H-8YC7*

Enjoy

I always wanted to try postal 2 but never enough to pay money, thanks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

The day I always feared has come, I'm nearly out of single person shooters to play

I'll second dark forces 2/3/4 as being all around pretty cool fps's. Don't be a sucker and play through the shittier levels though (the first 3 in outcast), just cheat or something :shrug: some of them are really bad but the rest of the games are stellar.

Nonsteam suggestion: timesplitters: future perfect. It's basically the best FPS story mode ever. I tried running it through dolphin but it doesn't work, so uh, hope you have a ps2 or gamecube hooked up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Future Perfect is great and has the best character animation. RIP free radical, they had to make Haze

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Quest For Glory II posted:

Future Perfect is great and has the best character animation. RIP free radical, they had to make Haze

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Why the gently caress hasn't Crytek made an HD version of Future Perfect? I'd buy a PC version Day 1.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Time Splitters and No One Lives Forever are both in shooter heaven looking down on us. Never forget.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mortimer posted:

Nonsteam suggestion: timesplitters: future perfect. It's basically the best FPS story mode ever. I tried running it through dolphin but it doesn't work, so uh, hope you have a ps2 or gamecube hooked up.

i had a completely different experience, future perfect actually works perfectly in dolphin, probably even better if your computer is strong enough to keep it running at max speed in some of the more demanding areas, but even on my kinda average pc the drops in those areas were still playable

timesplitters 2 is also one of the least demanding games to run on a pcsx2, and it's equally worth playing. i like how while future perfect just uses its time travel as a plot device, timesplitters 2 uses it to create a series of cool, disconnected levels.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hit up that kind of rush.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Seriously fuckers make a PC Timesplitters Trilogy and I'll buy it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the level design in timesplitters 1&2 rocks and all they really need is less wonky aim to make them perfect

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Haze was hilarious because they kept trying to hype up the storyline as if anybody couldn't immediately tell that the bee-themed megacorp that pumps its soldiers full of drugs wasn't actually evil all along.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd like to see a game where that twist happens and you're like "so what?" and you can keep being a killer super soldier.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 16, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

I'd like to see a game where that twist happens and you're like "so what?" and can you keep being a killer super soldier.

I think Deus Ex was actually original gonna let you do that, they only cut out the whole UNATCO path because they ran out of money and time, but there's still fragments of dialog that implied it would be a thing. Like, a voice clip of JC Denton telling Paul "sorry, but i read the message and i'm still sticking with UNATCO"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Accordion Man posted:

I'd like to see a game where that twist happens and you're like "so what?" and can you keep being a killer super soldier.

It kinda happens in Battlezone 2 I think. You find out the "aliens" are really some mutated remnants of earlier human forces, and you can either help them against your current forces who betrayed them (the good option) or just kill them all.

Not that it's a game you'd play for the plot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sleeveless posted:

Haze was hilarious because they kept trying to hype up the storyline as if anybody couldn't immediately tell that the bee-themed megacorp that pumps its soldiers full of drugs wasn't actually evil all along.

But they gave you such a stylish yellow fully concealing facemask

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's worth pointing out that (unless they changed the AI recently) this isn't so much a "gently caress-around-and-build-poo poo" game as "tell your guys to build poo poo and hope the AI decides it's high enough priority to do and doesn't get stuck in a priority loop also it's slow as poo poo" game.

the patch notes for december mention AI fixes

it is a pretty slow game

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

midge posted:

I'm looking for some turn based strategy recommendations. I pick up the odd game in the genre now and then, Invisible Inc, Banner Saga, Chroma Squad, etc. But none of them scratch the itch I've had for a long time now. I'm looking for a squad based turn based game with minimal story or plot. I just want to have a bunch of dudes, attack some place, upgrade their gear/stats and then move onto the next mission. Nothing too RPG heavy, but higher on the tactical elements of the game. I really wish Wasteland 2 had an "action" mode, where I didn't have to go through all the RPG shite. I prefer modern day settings over Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I enjoyed X-Com, but I'd rather not throw down $80CAD on X-Com 2 yet.

I really really wish Mordheim: City of the Damned wasn't such a clunky piece of poo poo. BEDLAM looked great, but holy poo poo those reviews.

Hey, fellow modern-day turn-based strategy fan!

Door Kickers is pretty tactical and has minimal story stuff. It's real-time with pause, not turn-based, but you might like it anyway (I do). You control a team of up to 8 cops (each mission has its own limit) going on raids and hostage-rescue missions. There are classes, but they only determine what sort of primary weapon you can carry - only stealth cops can use suppressed primaries, breachers can only use shotguns, shield cops carry riot shields and a pistol. There aren't a lot of stats (only 4, I think), and you can't really do anything about how your units improve - if they live, they get experience. Eventually, they get promoted and their skills will increase a bit. If they die during a mission, they'll be replaced by a new recruit afterwards (only during the campaigns, which are just strings of missions with a bare-bones story connecting them). There are a lot of guns to unlock, and a few different bits of gear (like better body armor, lockpicks, snake-cams for peeking under doors, and breaching charges for making a loud entrance).

Breach and Clear (the first one, not Deadline) is similar to Door Kickers, but it is turn-based, sort of. It plays a lot like Frozen Synapse, where you plan out your moves, and try to predict what the enemy will do, then watch things play out in 5-second increments. There are specific classes of units with different abilities, and you have control over how they improve as they gain levels. It also has some weapon customization and modification options (you can color your guns, and put different sights and grips on them). It's pretty obviously a port of a tablet game, though. It's not terrible, just a little shallow. I got B&C before I got DK because I also prefer my strategy turn-based, but I ended up liking Door Kickers more.

B&C: Deadline, since I mentioned it, is kind of a mix of both the original B&C and Door Kickers, plus a heaping dose of zombies people infected by a fungus or something. It's got more story/rpg stuff than the other two, and missions take place in an open world (the other two both have self-contained levels for missions). It also has deeper character and weapon customization than B&C (more class-specific skills than the first game). It feels a lot like the first Breach and Clear was a test project for the 'real' game that the team wanted to make (this one). It's bigger and mostly better than the first game, but even so, I'm not really a fan of it.

It's kind of old, and you might have played it already, but maybe Jagged Alliance 2? I think you can pretty safely ignore any Jagged Alliance game that has anything but "2" after the title, but this one is pretty solid, and has a pretty dedicated modding community. There's also a big thread here for it.

Last, probably my favorite of the ones I listed here, Silent Storm is a solid, mostly-realistic, turn-based strategy game with guns. It's set during WW2, and you can play as either an Allied or Axis special forces unit. They have different campaigns, but some missions are the same (or very similar) for both sides. You can destroy just about everything on the map - shrubs, walls, even buildings. Make your own door! Blow up half a house just to get one guy! The weapons are, for the most part, real-world guns. There are six classes, and they're all pretty distinct from each other. They improve their regular skills (stuff like shooting, stealth, first aid, and throwing) by using them, but you can choose how to distribute special ability points when they level up. The longer your soldiers use the same weapon, the more familiar they'll get with it, which translates into eventually being able to aim and reload for less action points. Your HQ (available between most missions) stocks guns, gear, and ammo, but only for your side (Axis or Allies), so if you want your American soldier to use a German gun, they'll have to resupply in the field (which isn't too difficult, for most weapons). Some people don't like the twist, which is that the secret weapon you're trying to track down is power-armor mech-suits with guns instead of hands, because it changes things up too much. I like it though, and you're able to use the weapon yourself pretty much immediately after it's introduced. The steam version is Silent Storm Gold, which also includes the sequel, Sentinels. I haven't played too much of that one, but it seems to be a bit harder. Some of the difficulty might be because they added money and weapon degradation, so you have to hire your soldiers, find or buy your gear/ammo, and keep your weapon repaired (which also costs money).

I'd say Silent Storm is probably the closest to what you're looking for, but Door Kickers is pretty good too, so don't dismiss it just because it's not turn-based. :)

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 16, 2016

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Has Valve changed the way sending a gift via email works?

I bought a game for a non-steam using friend using the contents of my steam wallet and I believe paypal for the rest. Go through the process to send via email, enter all the details and get a screen saying it's been sent but when I click on the game in my inventory it doesn't show "Sent to <email>." and they haven't received any notification. Friend is using a gmail account but never had problems with that in past.

Inventory shows "( Not Tradable ) Gifts become tradable 30 days after purchase. This gift will become tradable on 17 Mar. You can still send the gift at any time by clicking the "Send gift..." button. Only trading is restricted. See the Steam Trading FAQ for more information." which suggests I can send it but doesn't specifically say sending via email will work.

Could get them to register and try gifting that via friend list but concerned that they be put off Steam if that doesn't work.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

midge posted:

I'm looking for some turn based strategy recommendations. I pick up the odd game in the genre now and then, Invisible Inc, Banner Saga, Chroma Squad, etc. But none of them scratch the itch I've had for a long time now. I'm looking for a squad based turn based game with minimal story or plot. I just want to have a bunch of dudes, attack some place, upgrade their gear/stats and then move onto the next mission. Nothing too RPG heavy, but higher on the tactical elements of the game. I really wish Wasteland 2 had an "action" mode, where I didn't have to go through all the RPG shite. I prefer modern day settings over Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I enjoyed X-Com, but I'd rather not throw down $80CAD on X-Com 2 yet.

I really really wish Mordheim: City of the Damned wasn't such a clunky piece of poo poo. BEDLAM looked great, but holy poo poo those reviews.

Have you tried the Long War mod for X-Com?

Airship Dragoon - $19.99 - turn-based steampunk squad assault game with a board-game style overworld
Bionic Dues - $9.99 - tactical squad-based roguelike
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel - $14.99 - squad-based tactical Fallout
Infested Planet - $14.99 - squad-based action game fighting a swarm of alien bugs
Militia - $4.01 (-33%) - tactical puzzle game with chess-like concepts
UFO: Aftermath - $3.99 - the early-2000's version of XCOM
UFO: Aftershock - $3.99 - sequel to Aftermath, with enough differences in both the combat and global layers to not just be "more of the same", but still an XCOM style game
UFO: Afterlight - $6.99 - the final game of the UFO:After* trilogy, set on mars

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

The late 90s called and they want their Michael Bay complaints back.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Accordion Man posted:

I'd like to see a game where that twist happens and you're like "so what?" and you can keep being a killer super soldier.
There was an old X-Wing clone, DOS era, called like, Star Crusader or something. At one point you find out that the rebels you've been fighting are of course the good guys and the space humans are terrible racists - at which point you get the option of helping murder the hell out of the rebels. I seem to remember it being a lot easier too.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm surprisingly digging Doom 3 right now. I never really got into Doom until the last year or two and I have been way into it. Doom 3 was always weird because it was more horror game than Doom and I never really cared about horror games. But now that I finally pushed myself through the trying-to-hard-to-be-scary opening chapters I'm playing it like regular doom and really loving it. Also making sure to rarely use the flashlight and enjoy the great shadows in that game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't Crytek made an HD version of Future Perfect? I'd buy a PC version Day 1.

I'm not sure Crytek knows how to make games anymore.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Lord Lambeth posted:

thank god

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Lord Lambeth posted:

They made like two decent games at most. That's not a legacy, that's a fluke.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Today I learned Crytek and Croteam are different

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I had a decent amount of fun with all the Crysis games. But they have aged worse than games like Half Life 2 or Doom 3 somehow.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ularg posted:

I'm surprisingly digging Doom 3 right now. I never really got into Doom until the last year or two and I have been way into it. Doom 3 was always weird because it was more horror game than Doom and I never really cared about horror games. But now that I finally pushed myself through the trying-to-hard-to-be-scary opening chapters I'm playing it like regular doom and really loving it. Also making sure to rarely use the flashlight and enjoy the great shadows in that game.
Did you installs mods to update the engine a little? It shows its age in parts, but some of the visual work is still quite satisfying.

And yeah, you never really need the flashlight. The complaint has some traction with how stupid the horror stuff is, but you're almost never in a situation where it matters. It is a Doom game, you just light up the dark with gunfire.

New Concept Hole posted:

They made like two decent games at most. That's not a legacy, that's a fluke.
It's not even a question of how many they've made but how long ago it was. Crysis 2 is five years ago.

Everyone who made a good game under them left the company or died.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Luisfe posted:

Well, prebought dark souls 3. Game + dlc for about half of what it will cost for just the base game on console.

If they do add an extra loyalty discount I guess I will just refund and rebuy.

Where did you see a price like that? I just see the 8% off resulting in 54,99€ for the base version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Metro 2033 really wants to be half life 2, the atmosphere is great but good grief there's a lot of being led by someone while they talk and waiting for them to open doors. sitting in a trolley while someone talks waiting for something to happen. hiding in a stealth level and waiting for characters to stop talking so they'll begin their set path so you can progress. escorting a child with the worst voice actor ever as they talk and talk and talk

And every other Russian is Steve Blum to the point of being a joke

• Locked thread