Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
For the Filmstruck testers, they added a few more movies. So that's nice we aren't going to have a static library until launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

For the Filmstruck testers, they added a few more movies. So that's nice we aren't going to have a static library until launch.

Anything good?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

blue squares posted:

Which silent films have you seen and enjoyed?

Seconding Sunrise and Lonesome

Others I'm fond of are:
Body and Soul (1925) - A great film. The soundtrack on the Criterion release is outstanding. A pretty daring message.
The Phantom Carriage
The Wind
- Not a Criterion release. Also is kind of daring in it's allusions.
The Hands of Orlac (1924)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Early beta testers of Filmstruck confirm Stalker, Dersu Uzula and Tom Jones are listed under Criterion branding.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

oh shiiiiiiiit i hadn't noticed that yet

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Watched the Kennedy documentaries via Filmstruck on my ipad, and it was a fine experience, interface and quality-wise. When they have more films it might get harder to navigate.

This isn't the service's fault, but watching on the iPad kinda sucks, just because I don't have a good case for it so I can't stand it up. Definitely gonna need a TV app on the Roku or PS4 for me to subscribe.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Early beta testers of Filmstruck confirm Stalker, Dersu Uzula and Tom Jones are listed under Criterion branding.

That's good. The Dersu Uzula DVD I watched was in awful quality.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

the current transfer on filmstruck isn't wonderful either, sad to say

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
gently caress me, so I chased up Barnes and Noble because the shipping tracking hasn't updated in a fortnight on either of my orders, saying that the last action was internal US stuff and nothing regarding Australia. Instead of explaining what's actually happening they've just put a refund through to my credit card.

The same poo poo happened trying to ship the Apu trilogy from Amazon last year - Amazon just ended up cancelling the order for some reason. I just want to watch good movies :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does anyone have experience with Barnes & Noble customer service? My last order ended up 1000 miles from where I live for reasons I cannot fathom, and I'm finding their website very obnoxious to understand.

It's on topic because it's Criterions I ordered. :(

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

I had a few issues with my Criterion order - customer service through chat either made things worse (cancelled a whole order when I only wanted an item cancelled) or told me to call in because they couldn't help online. Service is much better calling in.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raxivace posted:

Does anyone have experience with Barnes & Noble customer service? My last order ended up 1000 miles from where I live for reasons I cannot fathom, and I'm finding their website very obnoxious to understand.

Call and ask for their shipping companies number. There isn't much they can do if it ended up in the wrong spot.

Just talk to a manager when you call.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic Planet was a good blind buy.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Has there been any word on whether we might get more Dennis Hopper films now that there's been a Criterion release of Easy Rider? The only DVD of Out of the Blue that's in print is a lovely bootleg and The Last Movie has never had a DVD release at all.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rollersnake posted:

Has there been any word on whether we might get more Dennis Hopper films now that there's been a Criterion release of Easy Rider? The only DVD of Out of the Blue that's in print is a lovely bootleg and The Last Movie has never had a DVD release at all.

Not Criterion but

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/the-american-dreamer/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Maxwell Lord posted:

Haha yeah that movie is just a giant trip. I could see some people freaking out and hating it, but if you just ride with it and enjoy stuff from that era it's pretty magical.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Agreed. I'm surprised there weren't any special features pertaining to its soundtrack as it was easily one of my favorite parts of the movie. I also didn't like the fold-out poster thing that came with it. I would have prefered an ordinary booklet. Other than that it was a delight.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Raxivace posted:

Yeah Fantastic Mr. Fox was the first in my order to ship and still hasn't arrived while I've received everything else in the order, even A Touch of Zen which was released during the sale (beautiful movie by the way).

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
A month and a half later, my B+N order arrived in Australia. Never going for the cheap shipping option again.

Now, to dig into the Apu trilogy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I watched A Touch of Zen tonight, and uh, definitely didn't expect that last hour. Gorgeous movie though, and it was funny seeing spots that I recognized.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CF.org says Punch-Drunk Love, Kurosawa's Dreams, His Girl Friday, and The Squid and the Whale are all in the works.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Nice, I literally just yesterday was thinking about buying His Girl Friday, apparently it's never had a proper Blu-ray release!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
November 2016:

Lone Wolf and Cub box set (6 films)
Punch-Drunk Love
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
The Squid and the Whale
One-Eyed Jacks

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit: :argh:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dreams is a must buy for me. Never saw that kurosawa and it's the only one my collection doesn't have if I remember right.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Your collection has Dersu Uzala?!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Really? Of all the covers you could make a poster out of, you chose this one?

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/765306665520496640

$25 for a picture of black squares.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 15, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

$25 for a picture of black squares.
close to perfection imo

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Congratulations Adam Sandler on finally entering the Criterion Collection.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm gonna spend so much money in november.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ratedargh posted:

Your collection has Dersu Uzala?!

I wish. I just meant out of everything criterion released on bluray and eclipse. Obviously I don't have the AK 50 boxset either.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Slate Action posted:

Punch-Drunk Love

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This but Lone Wolf and Cub.

And Punch Drunk Love too, to be honest.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lone Wolf & Cub, gently caress yeah. Nice art too.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Lone Wolf & Cub, gently caress yeah. Nice art too.

Paul Pope is shamefully overlooked.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Congratulations Adam Sandler on finally entering the Criterion Collection.

To Adam Sandler's defense, he was great on SNL and his first few movies are very funny. Not to mention his performance in Punch-Drunk Love is amazing.

He just chooses to make a lot of garbage movies. (And I liked both Hotel Transylvanias)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

To Adam Sandler's defense, he was great on SNL and his first few movies are very funny. Not to mention his performance in Punch-Drunk Love is amazing.

He just chooses to make a lot of garbage movies. (And I liked both Hotel Transylvanias)

Is the second one also by Tartakofsky? He's a big part of what I liked about the first one.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Ineffiable posted:

I wish. I just meant out of everything criterion released on bluray and eclipse. Obviously I don't have the AK 50 boxset either.

It's the one I keep hoping for and while every month is chock full of great releases, I shed a single tear every time it's absent.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It is probably way, way more fun to make dumb movies with your friends, not having to worry about the intense effort of making a critically successful film, and get very very rich doing it. I hate Adam Sandler's movies (for the most part), but I don't hold it against him. I'd live the same life if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I Before E posted:

Is the second one also by Tartakofsky? He's a big part of what I liked about the first one.

Yes. Both written by Robert Smigel, too.

Ratedargh posted:

It's the one I keep hoping for and while every month is chock full of great releases, I shed a single tear every time it's absent.

Really, the only movies keeping Criterion from putting out a complete works set of Kurosawa are...

The Quiet Duel (owned by Kadokowa, also licensor of Rashomon)
Dersu Uzula (known to be in the works, likely from Mosfilm)
Ran (only tricky one since Lionsgate has US rights via StudioCanal)
Rhapsody in August (MGM has US rights, likely easy to get)

They were able to get Lionsgate to give up the third Qatsi film for their box set, so I'd imagine they'd find a way to get Ran. I wouldn't be surprised if they're just waiting for the StudioCanal license to expire, which explains why Lionsgate isn't bothering with the 4Ks of Ran, The Ladykillers, Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Tales of Hoffmann, or The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 16, 2016