Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wolrah posted:

This is seriously the best part about having a Google Home setup and a Chromecast in my bedroom. I walk in, say "Hey Google, watch <whatever Netflix show I'm falling asleep to this week>" and my TV turns on and starts playing.

If only it could turn off the TV as well, but AFAIK that's just my TV having half-assed CEC support. Sleep timer does the trick as long as I remember to set it.

Could always get some smart plugs and tell your Google home to shut off the TV for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I went to BB to get a smart thermostat the other day and they had a deal on, get the Home mini for the price it was previously on sale for, if you bought any other smart switch or plug. So I got a plug and the Home, though I'm not sure how much use we'll get out of the plug. I feel that at the very least it'll come in handy for hard-to-reach christmas lights.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I got a new TV and I'm having some trouble with audio drop outs, and I don't know where to start looking for problems. When I using streaming apps on the Shield (Netflix, Amazon Prime, YT), the audio will occasionally drop out for a second. This doesn't happen when playing local files via Kodi, and it doesn't happen when I use streaming apps on other devices (ps4, xbox).

Everything is plugged directly into the TV, with a HDMI cable going back to my receiver using ARC. I installed 7.2 on the Shield recently, but I'm still getting the same drop outs.

Any ideas?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there anyway to tell whether Plex is transcoding a file? I'm having buffering issues streaming 4k HDR10 (H265/HEVC?) mkv remuxes from my media server to my Samsung 4k HDR TV's Plex app. Trying to figure out if it's a bandwidth (TV is currently connected via WiFi) or processing power issue.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Login to Plex web while you’re streaming and go to the user section to see whether it’s transcoding or direct playing.

Alternately, are the colors very muted? Plex cannot (and probably will never be able to) preserve HDR metadata when transcoding.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Plex says the video is "direct stream" and the audio is "transcoding TrueHD to AAC" (e: or "DCA to AAC" if the source is DTS-HD). It also says "Converting (throttled)" above the video/audio section (I assume because it's transcoding the audio). Audio is being sent to a 5.1 AVR via ARC. The receiver supports TrueHD, so it seems unnecessary to transcode here, but maybe the TV doesn't know what to do with it (e: looks like the issue is ARC cannot handle HD-audio formats yet). On the video side, the colors look okay, and the TV is going into HDR mode, so it seems like everything is working fine on that front.

Is transcoding the audio potentially enough to cause buffering on a Ryzen 3, or is it more likely to be a connection issue?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 22, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Definitely a connection issue. Even 100mbps LAN is not fast enough for some high bitrate movies, especially if it was not reencoded.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Splinter posted:

Plex says the video is "direct stream" and the audio is "transcoding TrueHD to AAC" (e: or "DCA to AAC" if the source is DTS-HD). It also says "Converting (throttled)" above the video/audio section (I assume because it's transcoding the audio). Audio is being sent to a 5.1 AVR via ARC. The receiver supports TrueHD, so it seems unnecessary to transcode here, but maybe the TV doesn't know what to do with it (e: looks like the issue is ARC cannot handle HD-audio formats yet). On the video side, the colors look okay, and the TV is going into HDR mode, so it seems like everything is working fine on that front.

Is transcoding the audio potentially enough to cause buffering on a Ryzen 3, or is it more likely to be a connection issue?

It's trying to direct play video but likely your wifi isn't fast enough. What's the bitrate of the 4k file you are trying to play? Remux's generally don't fare well over most home wifi, particularly the crappy radios built in to TVs.

You should always aim to direct play 4k HDR btw. Not only will transcoding choke most CPUs but there's no tone-mapping support for HDR when a video is transcoded so it will look washed out.

If your TV has an ethernet connection and you have a long enough cable you can test to see if it works that way, then at least you'll know for sure. Though it sounds like network to me already.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The rips are generally in the 40-60GB range. I think that works out to video bitrates in the 45-60 Mb/s range. In theory my WiFi can handle that, but I hadn't considered the WiFi on the TV itself could be the weak link.

I'll definitely run ethernet to the TV, but after doing some research, it sounds like like Plex having to transcode the audio because ARC doesn't support HD audio formats yet could potentially cause buffering even over ethernet. Something about Plex struggling to transcode even audio when working with the huge 4k rips. If that's the case, it seems like I'd have to get something like a Shield or Roku Ultra to avoid the transcoding (wouldn't have to use the ARC with that set up). Regardless, running ethernet seems to be the first step.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Splinter posted:

The rips are generally in the 40-60GB range. I think that works out to video bitrates in the 45-60 Mb/s range. In theory my WiFi can handle that, but I hadn't considered the WiFi on the TV itself could be the weak link.

The one doesn't always correlate to the other (size of file/bitrate) but from your description it's safe to assume it's a fairly high bitrate file.

Lots of people forget that however good your router/wifi signal/etc. is, the receiving end matters too:) And though it depends on the model TV I wouldn't guess it is a top-notch radio since they generally aren't.

Splinter posted:

I'll definitely run ethernet to the TV, but after doing some research, it sounds like like Plex having to transcode the audio because ARC doesn't support HD audio formats yet could potentially cause buffering even over ethernet. Something about Plex struggling to transcode even audio when working with the huge 4k rips. If that's the case, it seems like I'd have to get something like a Shield or Roku Ultra to avoid the transcoding (wouldn't have to use the ARC with that set up). Regardless, running ethernet seems to be the first step.

The audio transcoding could be a problem, sure, but eliminate the network as a bottleneck if you can. BTW some TVs won't have Gig ports, just 100, but even so it's a good place to start.

There's other possibilities - problem with the file itself, speed of the storage the media is being streamed on, etc. - that can come in to play with these high bitrate files, but the Wifi link is the obvious first step and likely the weakest link in the chain that delivers the media from where it is stored to where it is being played back.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I'm looking at new tv's and with all the smart TV stuff I'm hoping to eliminate my current setup. Right now I ran a long HDMI cable from my gaming PC to the TV. I use remote mouse on my phone and mainly use VLC & Netflix, with the occasional YouTube streams for sports. My thought is to get a smart TV capable of Plex, with my pc as the server (~8+TB). I'm looking at the TCL 6 series, which run Roku ultimate. Will this be able to match my current setup for functionality? I'll need a web browser to get to the stream links. I'll have to figure out how to get audio out of it though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TrueChaos posted:

So I'm looking at new tv's and with all the smart TV stuff I'm hoping to eliminate my current setup. Right now I ran a long HDMI cable from my gaming PC to the TV. I use remote mouse on my phone and mainly use VLC & Netflix, with the occasional YouTube streams for sports. My thought is to get a smart TV capable of Plex, with my pc as the server (~8+TB). I'm looking at the TCL 6 series, which run Roku ultimate. Will this be able to match my current setup for functionality? I'll need a web browser to get to the stream links. I'll have to figure out how to get audio out of it though.

The TCL 6 series is the best value for the money in TVs still and it will handle all of that and more. I have one upstairs I use for console gaming/movie watching. I use Emby but Plex is also supported.

Roku TV part is fine, but it's easy enough to hook up a Shield or other streaming box to it as well. That goes for any TV of course, but the Series 6 is a good enough TV at a great price even if you don't count the Roku part so I would get it anyway.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What's the best, most portable 4K mkv file player? With or without hdd.

Edit: Maybe this is the wrong thread for that question.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
A phone or tablet...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Don't do what I did and buy a Fire Cube in hopes of playing 4K rips, the usb ports on the back are only fast enough for 10/100 Ethernet adapters... Waste of money

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm setting up my Harmony remote with my Shield, Denon receiver, and LG C7. I got the Shield setup fine. Since Shield doesn't have Dolby Vision, I'm going to use the TV for Netflix. I'm setting up that activity but the Shield keeps hijacking things once it detects that the system is on. I can get Netflix to open, but then the Shield wakes up and the receiver switches inputs to the Media Player input.

I've disabled all the Power control options in the Shield Display settings. Is it my Denon receiver that's doing it?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

KingKapalone posted:

I'm setting up my Harmony remote with my Shield, Denon receiver, and LG C7. I got the Shield setup fine. Since Shield doesn't have Dolby Vision, I'm going to use the TV for Netflix. I'm setting up that activity but the Shield keeps hijacking things once it detects that the system is on. I can get Netflix to open, but then the Shield wakes up and the receiver switches inputs to the Media Player input.

I've disabled all the Power control options in the Shield Display settings. Is it my Denon receiver that's doing it?

Sounds like CEC to me. Make sure it is disabled on the Shield and the receiver. You didn't mention what model Denon but most of them support CEC these days.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Ixian posted:

Sounds like CEC to me. Make sure it is disabled on the Shield and the receiver. You didn't mention what model Denon but most of them support CEC these days.

Yeah I figured. Just hasn't seemed to have happened with my PS4 or switch. It's an x1400.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 28, 2018

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of my Boxee Boxes finally died, RIP. Is there a modern equivalent that I can just plug in, point to a network share, and start playing mkvs, etc, preferably with a decent GUI? I was a huge fan of the boxee box because I didn't have to do gently caress-all to configure it, but I no longer have the patience or time to mess around with config files, etc. 802.11ac is a plus.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Boxee was just XBMC (now Kodi) with a custom interface.

Equivalent would be just about any set top box you like, with Kodi installed.

The Nvidia Shield is what all is cool kids buy, unless you have a use case that benefits from an AppleTV, for example (you don't).

Amazon Fire TV is smith option, but steer clear of the Sticks. They're underpowered.

Is simple to load Kodi on these devices.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

One of my Boxee Boxes finally died, RIP. Is there a modern equivalent that I can just plug in, point to a network share, and start playing mkvs, etc, preferably with a decent GUI? I was a huge fan of the boxee box because I didn't have to do gently caress-all to configure it, but I no longer have the patience or time to mess around with config files, etc. 802.11ac is a plus.

Shield, Kodi, done.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Don't do any of the new fire's if you want to stream 4K, no gige

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Shield looks like the ticket, thanks!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Shield has been the most wife-friendly option I've tried. The only thing she hates is the remote, she preferred the old Windows Media Center remotes we had for the Pi and the old HTPC. I'm probably going to try a Harmony and an IR dongle to see if that's acceptable.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ixian posted:

The audio transcoding could be a problem, sure, but eliminate the network as a bottleneck if you can. BTW some TVs won't have Gig ports, just 100, but even so it's a good place to start.

There's other possibilities - problem with the file itself, speed of the storage the media is being streamed on, etc. - that can come in to play with these high bitrate files, but the Wifi link is the obvious first step and likely the weakest link in the chain that delivers the media from where it is stored to where it is being played back.

Update on this. Moving to wired (100 Mbit on this TV) helped a lot, but I still had buffering issues on files Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio due to transcoding being required (transcoding DTS HD 5.1 was working fine though) since the ARC spec doesn't support sending Dolby/DTS HD formats to an AVR (the newer eARC spec is required for HD/uncompressed audio). However, I discovered that all the remuxes I have with TrueHD 7.1 (and some with DTS HD 5.1) also contain an AC-3 5.1 audio track which allows for direct play over ARC, and switching to that audio track solves all the problems. So if anyone ever has issues with HD audio formats and ARC, be sure to check for non-HD audio tracks before resorting to hardware upgrades.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

PitViper posted:

Shield has been the most wife-friendly option I've tried. The only thing she hates is the remote, she preferred the old Windows Media Center remotes we had for the Pi and the old HTPC. I'm probably going to try a Harmony and an IR dongle to see if that's acceptable.

Windows Media Center will never be topped

Too good for this world

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PitViper posted:

I love the Harmony Elite, works really great for me. You can also use the Fire TV remote, which is a lot better than the Shield one. Only downside with both: Speech input doesn't work.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 8, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do not understand the hate for the Shield remote. Gf hates it too. I love it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't use it at all, just use a Harmony hub with its companion remote. Hopefully one day the Harmony gets voice search capability. As a workaround I use the Shield app on my iPhone to input text for Youtube searches and etc.

The Shield remote on the 2017 model had weird issues with battery draining, I remember reading a lot of complaints about it on the Shield forums.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I hate that it's so tiny and thin that gets lost easily. I hate that I inadvertently adjust the volume when reaching for it in the dark because I never know which end is up. I hate that there's no dedicated play/pause, FF, and RW buttons, leading to more button pushes of the remote to accomplish the same thing that other remotes can do with a single button. Basically, I hate that it's not more like the Amazon 4K Fire TV Stick remote. I hate that the Amazon 4K Fire TV Stick remote won't pair with the Shield.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Hah right, totally forgot about its bizarre volume slider. What a silly implementation.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont really find I hit it all that much by accident. And I find ok for play/pause does me just fine. But then I dont consume as much media as a lot of you. Button feel and responsiveness are the biggest things for me and I give it high marks for that.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

PitViper posted:

Yeah, my wife is not very distinguishable from a senior citizen in UX / UI expectations for her devices and wants play / pause / ff / rw buttons on everything everywhere which has driven me towards a Harmony remote with WMC style controls (which the Shield seems to accept somehow in mysterious ways). The instant she has to understand anything about scrubbing or skipping forward in increments I get an exasperated look of indignation. I never had a problem going between the Fire TV remote, Apple TV, or Shield TV except for handling volume changes. Much like a senior citizen, wife loves to have a TV running really loud constantly but doesn’t like to pause for bewildering reasons so need a dedicated mute button which is removed on most of these smaller remotes. When the Harmony remote ran out of battery, she nearly had a panic attack trying to figure out three remotes - sound bar, TV, and the Shield TV remote.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Xbox One with Kinect remains the champion for wife accessibility in my house. "Xbox, go to Netflix" or "Xbox, watch [channel]" just barked out into the room without having to pretend it's a person like all those cloud AIs nails it for her.

What a shame.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone else backed up their Blu-ray collection to a NAS and found a way to stream it? With DVDs I was able to just get an ISO created by using some program and Kodi can play the ISO without a problem (except Arrested Development season 3 for some reason, but it seems like that's a mplayer problem). I would like to do the same with my blurays, and saw someone talk about doing that in another topic. Rather than ripping the movie to a file and missing all the special features.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
We know the Sheild remote can have its slider disabled, right?

Isn't that like the first thing one ought to do, IMO?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 8, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolfbiker posted:

I hate that it's so tiny and thin that gets lost easily

Yeah, gently caress this. I would never have imagined this would be such a problem, but it gets lost in blankets and pillows the very millisecond it leaves your hand.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Tapedump posted:

how? i went into the shield settings and to the remote control but there wasn't an option. just one to have double tapping the volume slider to mimic the pause function.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tapedump posted:

Well then how are you supposed to control the volume? Two remotes? What is this, 1999?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Well then how are you supposed to control the volume? Two remotes? What is this, 1999?

We actually have two Xbone remotes for exactly that purpose. At least one isn't lost at a given moment.