Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah, I think the 3.5L will do the job. I plan on putting this one back to normal and start working on my P38. 2" lift, new cam, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

parrhesia posted:

To be fair, MPGs would be a mostly theoretical concept in TVR-powered Range Rover because it implies that the car is capable of going a few miles.

TVRs and Range Rovers are for people who LOVE working on cars. I am no longer one of those people.

I REALLY want an LR Disco II though. Must be a fuckin' glutton for punishment..

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I found the best way to not get bored with my sports cars is to get a comfy daily driver (or an econobox I guess, but I prefer nicer cars). My work commute is almost all freeway, and with my old GTO I never had an opportunity to open it up due to traffic. That just became frustrating. Now I have my C5Z for weekend driving and road trips, and drive an old man Lincoln LS during the work week. The vette always feels fresh when I get in it, and the air conditioned seats and upgraded sound system in the Lincoln don't make me hate traffic.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I got the first car I ever built back from the guy I sold it to! :neckbeard:

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Hashal posted:

I found the best way to not get bored with my sports cars is to get a comfy daily driver (or an econobox I guess, but I prefer nicer cars). My work commute is almost all freeway, and with my old GTO I never had an opportunity to open it up due to traffic. That just became frustrating. Now I have my C5Z for weekend driving and road trips, and drive an old man Lincoln LS during the work week. The vette always feels fresh when I get in it, and the air conditioned seats and upgraded sound system in the Lincoln don't make me hate traffic.

I've got an 03 Cavalier for a daily.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Dizman posted:

I've got an 03 Cavalier for a daily.
That'll even ensure you'll never become bored with riding the bus.

Mooseykins posted:

I REALLY want an LR Disco II though.
That'd ensure you'd eventually become bored with riding the bus.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Xovaan posted:

I'm psyched this car is back on AI, what's your plan?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mat_Drinks posted:

Same here pretty much. I've seen a few bike wrecks in person and I know that I'd be dumb and romp on it, so it's best if I just never buy one.

I still have trouble understanding people who say this. People who have no self control and would rather wrap themselves in a fast car than a fast bike. Both things will get up to illegal speeds. And if you have no self control on a bike, you aren't likely to have self control in a car. And to be honest, you're more dangerous to others in the big fast car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ziploc posted:

I still have trouble understanding people who say this. People who have no self control and would rather wrap themselves in a fast car than a fast bike. Both things will get up to illegal speeds. And if you have no self control on a bike, you aren't likely to have self control in a car. And to be honest, you're more dangerous to others in the big fast car.

Which is why I drive like a retard offroad and hoon my cherokee at barely-illegal speeds on-road. I determined long ago that I can't have nice things for many reasons, chiefly that I'd get a lot of tickets and also my driveway is bumpier and less paved than most rally courses.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm psyched this car is back on AI, what's your plan?

A daily driver! I guess I could post about it in the Volvo thread too. Hah.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Xovaan posted:

That's so awesome! I tried to buy back my GTO from the guy I sold it to and he didn't want to off it. Then he sold it 6 months later and I tried to buy it off that person with no avail. I've thought about it almost every day and I truly would go into debt to buy it back in a second. That's awesome you were able to do it!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

emf posted:

That'd ensure you'd eventually become bored with riding the bus.

I have a TDI Golf wagon, Disco would be a weekend/offroad/tow car. Also the TD5 engines and almost everything else on Disco IIs are pretty reliable, aside from the ABS pump.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

cynic posted:

I've been a few cars behind you twice this last week (in/round Gala), so if you see some weird old guy waving at you from a horrible blue-green landrover/dark gray citroen, it's probably me.
Haha, awesome. What kind of landrover? My dad restored a couple of 96 Discoveries over the last year.

I just finished hoovering out the interior. Previous Owner had his dog in it often.

The passenger side window switch on the driver's side is loose. When I took the door card off to fix the locking mechanism on the driver's side the plastic nub holding the switch in snapped! Going to glue the switch in place for now. The interior is in fantastic condition except for the digital clock which are renowned for breaking.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Nice 944! Any outside photos?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Nice 944! Any outside photos?
Thanks, and yes I have a couple.

A couple things need attention on the outside. Wheels are going to be refurbed at the same time as I do the tires just after winter (car will be shelved) a big scratch on the N/S front wing/arch will be mended and then the entire thing will get buffed to bring the red out nicely. Oh, and the exhaust tip is looking a bit worse for wear, might get a custom job done. Maybe even a $600 (387.12 pound sterling) one.

Mooseykins posted:

TVRs and Range Rovers are for people who LOVE working on cars. I am no longer one of those people.

I REALLY want an LR Disco II though. Must be a fuckin' glutton for punishment..
The work my dad and I have done on his Discovery I facelifts has been not too bad. Clutch needed done on one, as well as a bunch of welding jobs (rear wheelarches inside the rear doors). The other needed an engine and gearbox swap and has otherwise been fine. The interior loves to fall apart though. The cover for the instrument gauges is loose on both thanks to snapped screw holes.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Picked up my first new car today. 2013 Fusion Titanium AWD. No moon roof and navigation but otherwise fully loaded.

Javes fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 30, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Falken posted:

The work my dad and I have done on his Discovery I facelifts has been not too bad. Clutch needed done on one, as well as a bunch of welding jobs (rear wheelarches inside the rear doors). The other needed an engine and gearbox swap and has otherwise been fine. The interior loves to fall apart though. The cover for the instrument gauges is loose on both thanks to snapped screw holes.

The funny part is the engine, and associated running gear is actually pretty drat sturdy. The frames are fully boxed and built like a heavy duty pick up. Its just all the electrical ancillaries that really poo poo themselves.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Ziploc posted:

I have plenty of self control... It's keeping me from buying a bike that would be super easy to go fast on.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I came really close to getting a loaded GTI with sun roof, nav, blah blah blah but I wanted to be a good boy and not use all of the loan. Liked the vanilla and they had they had a color I liked and threw in the wheels. I'm very happy with my choice but every time I see a GTI, part of me wishes I had gone further into debt. I'll get over it soon I'm sure. Pictures were taken before tint. I'm most pleased with my plate. My basketball team did well in March (lets see if you know who they are).

Found this in the Pollo parking lot on an s2k. I see what it's pointing at, but I'm curious what the literal translation is. Anyone?

e: grammar

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 30, 2013

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Probably just "Tow" or "Tow Here."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
牽引; けん引 【けんいん】 (n,vs) hauling; tow; pull; drag

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Falken posted:

Haha, awesome. What kind of landrover? My dad restored a couple of 96 Discoveries over the last year.

I just finished hoovering out the interior. Previous Owner had his dog in it often.

The passenger side window switch on the driver's side is loose. When I took the door card off to fix the locking mechanism on the driver's side the plastic nub holding the switch in snapped! Going to glue the switch in place for now. The interior is in fantastic condition except for the digital clock which are renowned for breaking.

Nice car.

But I hate to inform you that every plastic interior piece is going to break if you don't treat it very gently (and often even then). You should start by ordering another center console hinge right now. In fact order 2. Also, your steering wheel seems to be on the wrong side.

But that's a seriously fun car that is worth every hour and dollar you put into it.

If you need factory service manuals or any specific repair advice please ask, as I know way too much about these things. They are on the short list of budget automotive gems and I seem to buy too many of them. (I'm down to one right now, so that's progress, right?).

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Falken posted:

2008 FL2 rather than something old and requiring endless work - it's mostly my wife's car, and for towing. It did spend a rather a lot axle deep in snow and mud this last year though, since we spent a year living out in the sticks several farmers fields away from the nearest tarmac.

cynic fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 30, 2013

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
1983 accord 5spd. Got it for $800. Planning on dropping it 1.5 inches, putting on some period correct aluminum wheels, replacing the carb with a weber 32/36 and driving the piss out of it.

E: it's sitting weird because there's about 500lbs of spare parts in the trunk including a complete engine. The guy I bought the car from had a barn full of 1st and 2nd gen honda parts, including a complete s800 interior.

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 30, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) That thing is probably smaller than a current Civic, maybe even close to the Fit.

2) $800 for that is a loving steal you bastard. In AZ that car would have an interior that is completely shot to poo poo and a $2k pricetag.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Leroy Diplowski posted:

1983 accord 5spd. Got it for $800. Planning on dropping it 1.5 inches, putting on some period correct aluminum wheels, replacing the carb with a weber 32/36 and driving the piss out of it.

E: it's sitting weird because there's about 500lbs of spare parts in the trunk including a complete engine. The guy I bought the car from had a barn full of 1st and 2nd gen honda parts, including a complete s800 interior.

Please make a project thread for it or at least a heavy picture post in this thread of everything in the trunk. People that covet cars like these always throw in some crazy rare or bizarre poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

drat, that's awesome. Great find - I love the look of 80's Hondas.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

IOwnCalculus posted:

1) That thing is probably smaller than a current Civic, maybe even close to the Fit.

2) $800 for that is a loving steal you bastard. In AZ that car would have an interior that is completely shot to poo poo and a $2k pricetag.

It's smaller than a fit, but surprisingly roomy.

Paul Boz_ posted:

Please make a project thread for it or at least a heavy picture post in this thread of everything in the trunk. People that covet cars like these always throw in some crazy rare or bizarre poo poo.

I am really bad at picture taking and project threads, but I might give it the ol' college try. Hopefully it will turn out better than the first old honda I bought.

I don't think I got anything super rare or bizarre. I should have negotiated some of the first gen civic parts into the deal because I could have made money off of them, but I was kind of in a hurry.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mat_Drinks posted:

Then again, I kind of want to get a moped. Am I alone on that one?
You are not alone in that. I live in a place with 6 months of winter and 6 months of poor snowmobiling (and I don't own a snowmobile), but I'm sure I could find a way to have studded winter tires on a moped.

Sockington posted:

Maybe instead of something actually faster, he should buy something old and terrifying?

Want to drive like a man? Get a slow aircooled VW and go highway merging. :v:
This is true (in my experience). The thrill of driving fast comes from both the raw speed AND how close to the car's limits you are. This means something truly fast can deliver more thrill than anything else, since 180mph is inherently more exciting than 60mph. But an old minivan at 90% of its maximum speed (i.e. 60mph on a twisty road) is a hug-my-wife-and-kids-if-I-see-them-again experience while the same road at the same speed is merely interesting in a decent sports car.

Xovaan posted:

How is it? Did he do anything to it, or just keep it nice and purdy for you? It is nice and purdy, at least in that picture.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

You are not alone in that. I live in a place with 6 months of winter and 6 months of poor snowmobiling (and I don't own a snowmobile), but I'm sure I could find a way to have studded winter tires on a moped.
Can I introduce you to a 2WD Ural? It's a little bigger than a moped, I admit.

quote:

This is true (in my experience). The thrill of driving fast comes from both the raw speed AND how close to the car's limits you are. This means something truly fast can deliver more thrill than anything else, since 180mph is inherently more exciting than 60mph. But an old minivan at 90% of its maximum speed (i.e. 60mph on a twisty road) is a hug-my-wife-and-kids-if-I-see-them-again experience while the same road at the same speed is merely interesting in a decent sports car.
That's why we have winter - glorious winter - where I can bring my $1000 Subaru up to the same top speed and level of white knuckle fear as a Porsche 911 in the same environment.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

How is it? Did he do anything to it, or just keep it nice and purdy for you? It is nice and purdy, at least in that picture.

I forgot there was a Volvo thread so I posted about it there too, but yeah, it's in better condition than I sold it and I technically got it for $2000 less than I sold it for so I'm not complaining. :D

Dude who bought it was a Volvo master tech who specializes in electrical work. Since I've had it back, I've taken the exhaust to a shop and had it properly aligned and added a 16T. Next, I'm adding chips and I'm cranking the boost until the transmission explodes so I have an excuse to put a T5 in it for The Ultimate Daily Driver Experience.

Now to drive it 20 hours to Oregon to get it registered since there's no way it will pass smog in California. :saddowns:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare::fh:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Wow that's quite the find. A friend in high school had one of those and it seemed indestructible.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That car is cool as gently caress in the most sublime way.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

drat, that is really clean looking.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Glad to see the few bucks I've thrown you for candy have gone to worthwhile cause. :v:

Awesome Accord.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Holy sweet little baby Jesus, I don't see a single crack in the vinyl dash :aaa:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
2012 MCA Mustang

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

thetechnoloser posted:

2012 MCA Mustang

Great looking car, congratulations on the prestigious Mt. Dew award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

thetechnoloser posted:

2012 MCA Mustang

Congrats! What people don't know is that that's a 2 liter of mt dew and your car is huge. That OEM lip looks killer!