Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think the Army "wants" the A-10 only as a way to pressure the Air Force. I have a distinct feeling that if the Air Force didn't fight at all and freely offered up the A-10, the Army would then realize all the additional costs and problems and decline the offer.

Psion, you may be thinking of the USMC's single battle concept that they use to lock their enemy in the horns of a dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Amalgamate :colbert:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TheFluff posted:

The mother of all oil leaks?

quote:

Ed King, P-47 Pilot
347th Ftr. Sqd, 350th Ftr. Grp.
MTO, ETO WWll, 1944-45

January 12, 1945, Strafing Attack
Bresica, Italy Railroad Marshalling Yard

On January 12th, the weather condition over the Poe Valley was reported as unsuitable for dive-bombing. The Valley was covered with layers of solid to broken clouds, plus a broken to scattered low scud deck. A mist of rain also filled the air.

Since flying conditions on the south side of the Apennine Mountains were good, I was assigned to lead a flight of four on a combination weather and armed reconnaissance mission into the far reaches of northern Italy.

Upon arriving over the Bresica Area, we were able to spiral down and around the clouds to a relative low altitude. An active railroad marshalling yard, crowded with rolling stock, was spotted through a break in the scud below. Also, sighted alongside, was a protecting anti-aircraft battery.

In the belief I could take the gun pit out-of-play myself, the others were radioed to orbit out-of-range until called. There was just not room for all of us to maneuver in such close quarters.

As I was closing in on a firing pass, the gun pit opened fire, scoring a direct hit in my aircraft’s engine. At once, a heavy oil spray flowed from under the cowling, completely covering my glass canopy. My first reaction was to climb for altitude into the clouds because in my mind, a bailout was close at hand.

The other flight members were notified of my plight and advised to return to home base. Weather conditions would have made finding me very difficult if not impossible.

While in a climbing mode, the canopy was opened in preparation for abandoning ship. As the canopy opened, a heavy spray of hot oil hit me full in the face. For some reason, I had always carried a clean rag in the cockpit, to be used for whatever the need. In this instance, the need was to wipe the oil out of my eyes. I also discovered that by leaning well forward the oil spray missed my face.

Upon reaching a comfortable altitude, the ship was leveled between a layer of clouds. The Area Radar Controller was contacted and the situation explained. He was also told of my decision to remain with the aircraft for as long as the engine kept running. At this point, my location was approximately 140 miles from my home base at Pisa, of which 120 of those miles were over enemy territory.

In a calming voice, the Controller gave me a heading towards the nearest coastline. In the event open sea could be reached, an air/sea rescue may be possible, even though I would still be behind enemy lines.

All clouds were cleared as I approached the coastline near La Spezia. After passing over the coast, a turn was made towards the south. As I proceeded down the coast, the enemy anti-aircraft coastal batteries apparently decided to make my situation a little more interesting because they opened fire. By this time, I was in no condition to take evasive action even though flak was bursting all around me. It was of utmost importance that my altitude be maintained. Fortunately, there were no hits scored by their gunners.

At around the 10 to 15 mile range from home base, more and more throttle had to be added, in order to hold my altitude. Engine oil starvation was evidently beginning to set in.

In the meantime, an aircraft had sent to guide me the rest of the way home. As he joined me from the left, he was waved-off. It was apparent my engine would not hold out for a long straight-in- approach.

A high down-wind leg was entered. By now, the throttle was in an almost full forward position and the engine instruments were about to blow their tops.

Turning onto a close base leg, gear and flaps were dropped. Upon reaching the “now or never point”, the aircraft was put into a steep sideslip on the way down to runway level.
At the same time, the engine came to a grinding halt with the propeller frozen in an upright position. Touchdown was made about a quarter of the way down the runway and the aircraft coasted clear at the far end.

One of the things I remember clearly was the Tower Operator screaming for me to “level out” as I was nearing runway level. It must have appeared to him that I could not see well enough to break my glide. However, with that big four bladed prop acting as an airbrake, I had to make sure there was enough airspeed to maneuver the aircraft into a landing position.

After coming to a stop, the emergency crewmen who met me had looks of dismay on their faces. Their looks were justified because the whole of me, the cockpit and the aircraft were a black, greasy mess.

Upon leaving the cockpit, I was quickly ushered to the Flight Surgeon’s Dispensary.
My face was cleansed and my eyes flushed out. Outside of being somewhat excited and my eyes burning, I appeared none the worse for the experience.

Within the hour, a return was made to the aircraft for a picture taking and debriefing session. One of the pictures taken that day is on display in the Air and Space Museum, WWll Army Air Corps Section, Washington, DC. A picture of that “oil covered” P-47 that brought me home safely, is posted along with several other aircraft that made it back on a “Wing and a Prayer”.

King was only 19 at the time.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Holy loving poo poo.

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007
I've been cross-lurking various history threads here, and it struck me that basically US armed forces are in the same place right now as Nazi Germany was back in the days, with the Luftwaffe blocking carrier aircraft for the Kriegsmarine and also trying to establish ground troops to compete with the SS / Wehrmacht, the SS getting all the cool toys over the Wehrmacht, the U-Boot forces pissing into the Kriegsmarine's cornflakes and vice versa, all whilst everyone is licking arse with the politicians to fund their latest pet projects?

Is this a correct assessment of arms procurement in the US armed forces right now, especially in terms of aviation?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BlueBull posted:

I've been cross-lurking various history threads here, and it struck me that basically US armed forces are in the same place right now as Nazi Germany was back in the days, with the Luftwaffe blocking carrier aircraft for the Kriegsmarine and also trying to establish ground troops to compete with the SS / Wehrmacht, the SS getting all the cool toys over the Wehrmacht, the U-Boot forces pissing into the Kriegsmarine's cornflakes and vice versa, all whilst everyone is licking arse with the politicians to fund their latest pet projects?

Is this a correct assessment of arms procurement in the US armed forces right now, especially in terms of aviation?

Rice bowl fights are a side effect of the existence of large bureaucratic hierarchical organizations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BlueBull posted:

No, not really. In the US it's the result of huge industry lobbying for expensive projects, inter-service rivalries, and politicians looking for ways to spend DoD money inside their state so they can run adds at election time triumphing how hard they've fought in washington to bring jobs to wherever.

In Nazi Germany it had a lot more to do with the completely fractured nature of the government and everyone in the civilian bureaucracy trying to carve out their own little internal empires and power bases. A few things you mentioned:

1) the KM didn't really want naval fighter development because they really didn't want carriers. The officers who survived the lean inter-war years with their jobs were all pretty much the junior acolytes of the old Imperial-era big gun battleship lobby and thought that fast, heavily armed, cruisers and pocket battleships were the wave of the future. This is why the KM entered the war so woefully under-prepared for submarine combat and a huge part of why the U-Boot fleet had to fight tooth and nail for every DM they could convince Hitler to spend on them.

2) The KM wasn't pushing to have their own private army, that was the Luftwaffe. Why did the Luftwaffe need so many ground troops? Because Göring carved the Luftwaffe out as his own little private empire and if that rear end in a top hat Himmler got to have infantry in his private army Göring wanted infantry too.

3) The SS didn't get all the cool toys. Far from it in fact, they spent most of the war fighting with refurbed WW1 era equipment and poo poo they were able to procure via civilian channels. Himmler was trying non-loving-stop to get independent SS-run factories of his own precisely because the Wehrmacht command hated the very idea of a secondary army they didn't control and tried to give him hind tit on everything from rifles to armor. He was able to pull enough political strings to get first-run equipment by late in the war, but that was a long time coming. That's also the reason why he was so keen on the idea of starting up arms and ammo production in concentration camps, since he controlled those and could better ensure that anything they produced got fed into his section of the supply pipeline.

4) the U-Boot force was the redheaded stepchild of the KM for basically the whole war and Dönitz was screaming from day one that they needed an entire order of magnitude more submarines to do the job he was being asked to do. They were resource starved from the get go and, while they certainly got proportionally more of the KM budget as the big ships sank or hid in fijords while the subs made headlines, the KM in general got an ever decreasing amount of the budget as poo poo got very real in the east and it became clear that land forces were what the Reich needed.

5) the politicians were the ones loving up military projects, not the other way around. The number of projects that Hitler personally hosed up to disastrous effect is goddamned huge - both the StG44 and the Me262 would have come out YEARS earlier if it wasn't for his direct and personal involvement. The fact that the former was produced at all had a lot to do with a bunch of engineers quietly pushing forward under a different name.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

1) the KM didn't really want naval fighter development because they really didn't want carriers.

They were right on this. Honestly there was no real reason for the Germans to ever go for a capital ship fleet in either World War II or World War I and the Kaiser's desire for one was counterproductive, ultimately disastrous, and a waste of money.

Kaiser Wilhelm II: Insufferable Manchild of Destiny.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Servicio en Espanol posted:

They were right on this. Honestly there was no real reason for the Germans to ever go for a capital ship fleet in either World War II or World War I and the Kaiser's desire for one was counterproductive, ultimately disastrous, and a waste of money.

Kaiser Wilhelm II: Insufferable Manchild of Destiny.

My doctoral advisor did a lot of work on KWII's personal papers back in the day and he's got some hilarious anecdotes about the margin doodles that he would find on minutes to really important meetings. Basically, battleships everywhere, frequently shooting at each other. We're talking the kinds of margin scribblings you would expect of a bored 10 year old in math class.

edit: actually the Germans were kind of right to want a big, blue water navy in WW1. The British blockade completely hosed them in some really profound ways. This was an era before land based aircraft could keep sea lanes open and subs were only marginally effective against warships. The problem is that it became such a political issue before the war that they were seen as (both literally and figuratively) the loving crown jewels and everyone was terrified of losing too many expensive ships. Realistically they were probably never going to stare down the Royal Navy, but if they'd managed to delay the war by a few more years and/or actually had an ally or two with a navy worth talking about (the Italians were SUPPOSED to fill this role but. . . ) they might have had a chance of it.

Their general military situation going into WW1 was just really badly hosed in so many ways.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2014

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
The High Seas Fleet couldn't beat the English Grand Fleet and ended up blockaded anyway by an enemy they antagonized with the naval buildup in the first place. There is a whole lot of Ifs in history but I'm reluctant to try to Turtledove the First World War because it seems like such a cascade of history pouring down from all corners and all aimed at one outcome. If the Germans didn't freak the British out by trying to turn themselves into a credible naval challenger, if Austria-Hungary didn't feel like it had its back against the wall w/r/t the Balkans, if the French hadn't been nursing a raging hateboner for the Germans for forty years, if if if.

Like trying to game out a scenario where Germany didn't spend the entirety of Kaiser Wilhelm's reign making boneheaded diplomatic calls and having their emperor personally insult heads of state to their faces like 365/24/7 basically calls for imagining that Wilhelm was replaced by a reptiloid alien doppleganger. The man just made bad decisions so implacably and relentlessly that talking about individual bad calls is meaningless because you could basically guarantee that if he had made the right choice he would have made thirty more bad ones in a row just as terrible and probably cap it off by calling the Spanish ambassador to the Court of St James a monkey or another head of state a "loving dwarf" (he did both these things.)

I mean you go through history and you find bad men and evil men, and I don't necessarily think Wilhelm is either of those. He was, however, a historic jerk and all-around rear end in a top hat.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

hilarious anecdotes about the margin doodles

This sounds like it could be comedy gold.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I for one make sure to always doodle stupid poo poo in my margin, just in case I become historically important and someone has to slog through my personal papers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I for one make sure to always doodle stupid poo poo in my margin, just in case I become historically important and someone has to slog through my personal papers.

Sperglord Actual posted:

This sounds like it could be comedy gold.

Yeah, I've got a fantasy project where I basically just flip through all his papers that I can find and photocopy the doodles. The descriptions I've heard of them are pretty hilarious.

Interestingly someone's already done something similar with US Presidential doodles:

I just recently tossed a super cheap used copy of this book in on an Amazon order. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I can't wait.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What was the highest number of U-Boats deployed at sea at once, low 50s?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

What was the highest number of U-Boats deployed at sea at once, low 50s?

The Nazi-era KM commissioned around 1250 uboats of all types between dumping Versailles and the end of the war. I have no idea how those were spread out, but 50 at sea at once seems low, even factoring in how quickly they were getting sunk by the middle and end of the war.

edit: some quick googling shows May of '43 to be the worst month for them, with 40 uboat losses that month alone..

*shrug* maybe 50-ish at sea at once during the worst bit of it might be reasonable after all, once you factor in the ships resting after patrol, down for repairs, etc.

edit x2: ah ha. Found some graphs of the numbers at sea at any given time. It peaked at 159 in late April of '43. Just eyeballing the graph it looks like it averaged ~80-ish across the whole war, but never got north of 40 until mid-1941.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 20, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Nazi-era KM commissioned around 1250 uboats of all types between dumping Versailles and the end of the war. I have no idea how those were spread out, but 50 at sea at once seems low, even factoring in how quickly they were getting sunk by the middle and end of the war.

edit: some quick googling shows May of '43 to be the worst month for them, with 40 uboat losses that month alone..

*shrug* maybe 50-ish at sea at once during the worst bit of it might be reasonable after all, once you factor in the ships resting after patrol, down for repairs, etc.

Ah, found it through your link, the highest was 159 and it averaged from 50-90 for the 42 on. The early periods when the anti-sub technology was it its worst they barely exceeded 20.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I've got a fantasy project where I basically just flip through all his papers that I can find and photocopy the doodles. The descriptions I've heard of them are pretty hilarious.

Interestingly someone's already done something similar with US Presidential doodles:

I just recently tossed a super cheap used copy of this book in on an Amazon order. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I can't wait.

I have that book, it is truly fascinating. Ike was a very talented artist.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PhotoKirk posted:

I have that book, it is truly fascinating. Ike was a very talented artist.

Please describe Clinton's doodles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blistex posted:

Please describe Clinton's doodles.

uu===D~~~~ ( . ) ( . )

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1) Cost overruns.
2) In the Gulf War, Kosovo, 2003 Iraq invasion and occupation, and Afghanistan, Apaches suffered more damage than any other aerial weapons platform. Even if they have a high rate of functionality while damaged, damaged Apaches that managed to return to base were often eventually written off as total losses. Developing a 'stealth' attack helicopter with even thinner armor and a lighter potential payload was largely seen as a bad idea (tm), especially in the new 'threat culture' where a single hadji with an AK could potentially cause hundreds of thousands in damage to something like a Comanche.
3) If you're not strafing villages wholesale at ground level, attack helicopters are pretty useless in a theater like Afghanistan (and Iraqi urban environments).
4) It's much more cost-effective to maintain the OH-58s in the scout/recon role as parts for JetRanger helos are easy as gently caress to get one's hands on, even while forward-deployed.
5) It was billed as a stealth helicopter that was designed to support the Apache, a decidedly *unstealthy* helicopter.

The Comanche's program manager was a real peach, too. Go ahead and look up its Wiki page for a nice little nonsensical block quote from him that effectively translates to "this helicopter does everything our existing helicopter fleet does, but we should still buy it because I've hitched my career to it." As a 'cautionary tale,' this is why he's now the CEO of a DoD 'training' company with no Wikipedia page instead of a Senior VP at Boeing. Losing your contract means you get hosed over.
All that hurt the Comanche, but what ultimately killed it was UAVs. By the time it was killed in 2004, it was obvious to everyone that this mission was going to be way better and cheaper performed by predators, not manned helicopters.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
What I want to know is why we don't have kickin' rad turbofan helicopters. :colbert:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
We did. Didn't work out all that well :(

grover fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 21, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Can't imagine that type of design being good with an engine failure.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Breaky posted:

Can't imagine that type of design being good with an engine failure.

I'd imagine it would involve rigging up a gearbox system like the osprey or chinook has where one engine can power both rotors simultaneously in event of a failure.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Sort of an odd question but did anybody else bother getting these things in the late 90s?

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 21, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sort of an odd question but did anybody else bother getting these things in the late 90s?

gently caress yes. I must have had three or four full binders. The worst was when another civilian plane showed up. "This MD-80 variant was 0.5 inches wider than the previous version and sported special barf bag holders to commemorate the 1980 World Series." Even then I was too much of a hoarder to throw the bullshit ones out, but I definitely never looked twice at the non-military planes. Firefighting planes were in a grey area.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I didn't get them for more than like a couple months, but I do remember finding them in other places.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, not really. In the US it's the result of huge industry lobbying for expensive projects, inter-service rivalries, and politicians looking for ways to spend DoD money inside their state so they can run adds at election time triumphing how hard they've fought in washington to bring jobs to wherever.

In Nazi Germany it had a lot more to do with the completely fractured nature of the government and everyone in the civilian bureaucracy trying to carve out their own little internal empires and power bases. A few things you mentioned:

1) the KM didn't really want naval fighter development because they really didn't want carriers. The officers who survived the lean inter-war years with their jobs were all pretty much the junior acolytes of the old Imperial-era big gun battleship lobby and thought that fast, heavily armed, cruisers and pocket battleships were the wave of the future. This is why the KM entered the war so woefully under-prepared for submarine combat and a huge part of why the U-Boot fleet had to fight tooth and nail for every DM they could convince Hitler to spend on them.

2) The KM wasn't pushing to have their own private army, that was the Luftwaffe. Why did the Luftwaffe need so many ground troops? Because Göring carved the Luftwaffe out as his own little private empire and if that rear end in a top hat Himmler got to have infantry in his private army Göring wanted infantry too.

3) The SS didn't get all the cool toys. Far from it in fact, they spent most of the war fighting with refurbed WW1 era equipment and poo poo they were able to procure via civilian channels. Himmler was trying non-loving-stop to get independent SS-run factories of his own precisely because the Wehrmacht command hated the very idea of a secondary army they didn't control and tried to give him hind tit on everything from rifles to armor. He was able to pull enough political strings to get first-run equipment by late in the war, but that was a long time coming. That's also the reason why he was so keen on the idea of starting up arms and ammo production in concentration camps, since he controlled those and could better ensure that anything they produced got fed into his section of the supply pipeline.

4) the U-Boot force was the redheaded stepchild of the KM for basically the whole war and Dönitz was screaming from day one that they needed an entire order of magnitude more submarines to do the job he was being asked to do. They were resource starved from the get go and, while they certainly got proportionally more of the KM budget as the big ships sank or hid in fijords while the subs made headlines, the KM in general got an ever decreasing amount of the budget as poo poo got very real in the east and it became clear that land forces were what the Reich needed.

5) the politicians were the ones loving up military projects, not the other way around. The number of projects that Hitler personally hosed up to disastrous effect is goddamned huge - both the StG44 and the Me262 would have come out YEARS earlier if it wasn't for his direct and personal involvement. The fact that the former was produced at all had a lot to do with a bunch of engineers quietly pushing forward under a different name.

To follow up on this, I highly recommend (to the previous poster) Ian Kershaw's The End for a look at the retarded internal bureaucracy of the Third Reich at work towards the end of the war. I'm sure there are a lot more hardcore detailed Weberian type studies of the Third Reich's bureaucracy, but Kershaw is a top tier historian, easy to read, and its in English.

Quick question about SS gun productions at Buchenwald, I remember some hubbub on gun boards about the G43s made there being...temperamental and problematic (and might be dangerous to shoot)...since concentration camps inmates aren't really committed to the Nazi war effort, any truth to that or just Internet bullshit?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Servicio en Espanol posted:

some rabid champions of Big Blue in here to vociferously defend the Air Force's fidelity to CAS
Oh hey, what's up.

You keep saying that the Air Force hates the A-10 and the whole idea of CAS, and I've wrote out a few long posts already explaining why you're wrong, but you keep saying it anyway. So I'm just going to keep this one short and say that literally everything you wrote in that post is false.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

gfanikf posted:

since concentration camps inmates aren't really committed to the Nazi war effort, any truth to that or just Internet bullshit?

Sabotage was more a part of the resistance by inmates at Dora-Mittelbau than other subcamps from what I recall (probably because it's easier to get away with sabotaging a rocket that needs high precision and has thousands of parts).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sabotage was more a part of the resistance by inmates at Dora-Mittelbau than other subcamps from what I recall (probably because it's easier to get away with sabotaging a rocket that needs high precision and has thousands of parts).

They had some pretty endemic problems with sabotage at the Buchenwald G43 plant as well, but it was mostly of the "will not fire" variety than anything catastrophic. I'm too lazy right now to look up the specifics but someone dug up records that indicated pretty good percentage of them were shipped back to the plant because they wouldn't repeat when fired, and usually it was found that the gas ports weren't drilled all the way through the barrel. A few guns have been found in collections that show this as well so there's physical evidence for it as well.

Now, of course internet gun owners being internet gun owners this has turned into "don't fire those or they'll KB in your hands because of sabotage" but that's kind of BS. It's pretty easy to not drill a hole all the way through every third rifle or whatever, especially when the next guy in line is sticking a gas block over it, even under close supervision. It's less easy to gently caress up a gun in a way that will get it through initial QC but which will detonate when the hammer is dropped on live ammo.

edit: Also, Dora-Mittelbau is seriously loving mind bending and if you're ever in the area for whatever reason you need to see it. It's a loving slave labor rocket factory cut into a mountain. The ceiling is still soot stained from the loving coal fired trains they would drive in there. Driving a coal train into a underground mountain factory is not good for the air quality. All of the descriptions of it make it sound like something out of Dante's loving Inferno and walking around that place is seriously loving spooky poo poo.

It's one of those things that if it wasn't still there you'd think it was a flight of fancy along the lines of Wolfenstein and Nazis at the Center of the Earth.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 21, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Many years ago I remember reading an Air and Space Magazine article about the Smithsonian's Fw-190 being restored, and their finding something about the manufacturing of the ailerons that led them to suspect it was done by forced labor in a deliberately shoddy way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh hey, what's up.

You keep saying that the Air Force hates the A-10 and the whole idea of CAS, and I've wrote out a few long posts already explaining why you're wrong, but you keep saying it anyway. So I'm just going to keep this one short and say that literally everything you wrote in that post is false.

The chief of staff is an A-10 pilot by trade.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

I think the Army "wants" the A-10 only as a way to pressure the Air Force. I have a distinct feeling that if the Air Force didn't fight at all and freely offered up the A-10, the Army would then realize all the additional costs and problems and decline the offer.

Bingo.

The idea of the Army actually owning serious fixed wing aviation is so hilarious I don't even know where to start, and that's really just from a doctrinal perspective, not even getting into the logistics back end.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh hey, what's up.

Yup. Anyone who thinks we don't care about supporting ground forces needs to come up to Indian Springs. It's also worth mentioning that over the past decade the USAF has spent over $2 billion on upgrades and SLEPs on that airplane that we just hate so much. FWIW that $2B+ would've paid for another squadron of F-22's, the jet that the SECAF and CSAF got fired for lobbying to buy more of. But yeah, we hate the A-10.

Also while I don't want to put words in his mouth I'm pretty sure that both of us hate (or at least have an extreme dislike for) the AF as an institution, so we're far from defenders of big blue. I just prefer assertions to be based on historical facts, not inaccurate invective.

Godholio posted:

And he's the one proposing that we send them all to the boneyard, which (when combined with the money we spent on the PE upgrade and wing SLEP, intending to keep the things in the air through 2040) should really tell you all you need to know about how utterly and profoundly we are hosed from a budget perspective.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Wait isn't that the guy who claimed two positives for the A-10 in the Gulf War were an 85% mission capable rate and one loss - conveniently ignoring that was 2003 instead of 1991? Yes, yes it is.

Speaking of 1991: Seven lost airframes (three destroyed, four written off) which was the highest total of any US single airframe.

As for mission capable rates in 1991:
A-10: 95.5%
but that's not really unusual:
F-15C/D: 93.7%
F-15E: 95.5%
F-16: 95.4%
oh, and
KC-10: 95%
(all per Storm over Iraq, by Richard Hallion - so evaluate that as you will)

I don't have numbers for 2003 but I doubt 85% is anything to write home about. Servicio en Espanol you really gotta quit beating the same drum without ever responding to counterarguments.

e: also as for that LeMay quote, I don't see any reputable citations for it. TVTropes tops the drat Google results, this is not what I consider a good thing.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 21, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A-10s and Tornadoes were basically the cause of the no doing poo poo under 10,000 feet rule in Gulf War 1. Being under there vs. a reasonably modern enemy is really not healthy for you.

To be fair, if I remember correctly the A-10 was also picking up a lot of mission creep and doing poo poo it had no right to be doing which was partly to blame for the losses. I think the Tornado pilots were more stubborn about getting down and dirty.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Didn't A-10s also destroy something around half the targets hit in the Gulf War?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Six out of sixty RAF Tornados were lost, yes. Five were doing unguided bomb runs of some type. It also shouldn't surprise you the #2 and #3 airframes for the US were the AV-8B and A-6.

Mortabis posted:

Didn't A-10s also destroy something around half the targets hit in the Gulf War?

I don't have numbers on that but I will say that numbers aren't even going to tell you the whole story - it's extremely unlikely A-10s could have ever done what the F-117s were doing every night with LGBs; does that mean that because they hit a lot fewer targets their contribution was less significant? It's complicated calculus. Hell, you could make an argument the KC-10's superior mission ready rate compared to the KC-135 was more important than botahahahaha okay maybe not.

Besides, I don't think anyone's arguing the A-10 is a total piece of poo poo - it's not - but I am arguing Servicio is a hit-and-run poster with unsubstantiated claims.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 21, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I was poking around a bit and it's actually kind of grey. For some reason A-10s seemed to have significantly worse/less assessment of the strikes they made. There is some giant Government Accounting Office doc( http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GAOREPORTS-NSIAD-97-134/html/GAOREPORTS-NSIAD-97-134.htm ) that get's into cost:benefit of the various airframes and it kind of has to gloss over the A-10 because of insufficient/bad data. Though it was clear it and the F-16 were the kings of sorty numbers in the air war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

iyaayas01 posted:

And he's the one proposing that we send them all to the boneyard, which (when combined with the money we spent on the PE upgrade and wing SLEP, intending to keep the things in the air through 2040) should really tell you all you need to know about how utterly and profoundly we are hosed from a budget perspective.
I don't want to pretend I can read minds, but: he was never serious about that. At the same time, I think it was even in the same speech/paper, he was talking about sending the entire KC-10 fleet to the boneyard as well (which got significantly less attention because the KC-10 doesn't do fake strafing passes at airshows, despite it having a much larger impact on overall readiness.) He was just playing the game.

To explain: every time a city council has to cut the budget, someone will propose: "Let's start with a baseline 5% cut in every department's budget... including the Fire Department." The Fire Chief never responds with, "Well, I suppose we could reduce pensions slightly and defer maintenance on our vehicles until things stabilize." Instead, the Fire Chief stands up, looking sad, and says; "Having examined all the options, the only way we can afford a 5% cut in these tight fiscal times is to close a fire house in one of your districts." The A-10 is perpetually on the chopping block because we know that Congress always will come up with the money to keep them going.

I'm sure in a locked file cabinet somewhere in his office, Gen Welsh has a detailed plan of exactly how much money could be saved by different cuts to the Air Force's budget. He will never show it to anyone outside his staff, because he isn't retarded. If the CSAF stood up in front of Congress and said, "We can afford to trim all of these superfluous items and still maintain mission readiness" all of that stuff would get cut, and then more, because everyone is making sacrifices and you said you could survive a 35% reduction so 40% isn't a big deal, right? Of course, some of the useless stuff wouldn't get cut because it was in the right congressional district, and the Navy sure as hell wouldn't reciprocate by saying "well, I suppose we could make do with one less carrier."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 21, 2014