Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Platystemon posted:

Crappy construction: building on the Hayward Fault:

well now whose fault is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Elsa posted:

well now whose fault is that

Haywards :downsrim:

I'm honestly quite shocked that buildings on known faultlines aren't just condemned and bulldozed immediately. Why on earth would you live there?!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Crappy construction: building on the Hayward Fault:

I prefer Lewis Black's take on southern California:

quote:

An earthquake is an earthquake, assholes! And when the earth does that, it's telling you a little secret... move. Get out the door, and go far, far away, because you're living in an area where rodents should have sex and that's about it.

And now for something lighter:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

FYI, people love hardwood floors now but it was considered shamefully poor to not have as much carpets as possible everywhere back in the day. The person who owned my house before me came from this school of thought and had beige "cheap rental apartment carpet" in all the rooms, which was very nice of him as it protected the absolutely beautiful cherry floors beneath it which I now get to enjoy after little more than a day's work.

If I recall correctly, wood floors were a requirement for a home to qualify for a VA loan during the post ww2 housing boom. And ya, carpet was considered a sign of having made it. Having bare wood meant you were poor.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny that there are engineered products now that cost over $10/sqft just so you can have something that resembles hardwood over your poo poo slab in your crap builder's grade slapped together hovel.

Ask me how I know :downsgun:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Jealous Cow posted:

It's funny that there are engineered products now that cost over $10/sqft just so you can have something that resembles hardwood over your poo poo slab in your crap builder's grade slapped together hovel.

Ask me how I know :downsgun:

Depending on what you are going for, however, those things include such pesky things as footfall sound insulation as well as insulation more generally, as far as I know. I am not sure about plain hardwood flooring, but many engineered ones can potentially be used with underfloor heating etc. Some laminates or modern parquet floors certainly do a bit more than just "resembling hardwood".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

If I recall correctly, wood floors were a requirement for a home to qualify for a VA loan during the post ww2 housing boom. And ya, carpet was considered a sign of having made it. Having bare wood meant you were poor.

This is very interesting. I'm trying to figure out WHY they would require that. Was it (initially) a reduced cost thing or a minimum quality thing? Obviously by the time plywood and cheap carpet was available it was a more expensive choice, but that probably wasn't the case when those rules were made.

All I've come up with so far is some lame article:

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-07-03/home/hm-9462_1_laminated-wood-flooring

quote:

the Federal Housing Administration and the Veterans Administration stopped requiring hardwood floors for homes to be eligible for financing.

"Any home built before 1966 that had FHA or VA loan approval most likely has hardwood floors," said Stephen Guenther of Wood Floor Wholesalers in Orange.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's probably to discriminate against dirt and stone floors, not carpet (a sort of fraud prevention.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Imagine carpet straight on dirt.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Isn't the presence or absence of dirt the key difference between "the ground" and "a floor"? If the floor is dirt, you have no floor.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm the chair for the immensely obese owner.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Javid posted:

Isn't the presence or absence of dirt the key difference between "the ground" and "a floor"? If the floor is dirt, you have no floor.

The question then is how dirty does a floor have to be before it ceases to be a floor and becomes buried planks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is some M.C. Escher poo poo. :wtc:

e: The author of McMansion Hell is younger than I imagined:

quote:

A family of four in a 6,000 square-foot house can go days at a time without having to interact with each other in any real respect. When I was in the sixth grade, I remember visiting a friend who, rather than traverse down the massive, useless staircase, would text her mother, who was making dinner in the kitchen, or her sister who was 4 (mostly empty) rooms away.

Texting in sixth grade :wtf: But I guess they were rich so that pushes it back a few years?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 19, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I can only hope the architect is trapped between those walls.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

I can only hope the architect is trapped between those walls.

"For the love of property values, Montressor!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Also, maybe it's a regional thing, but baseboard heaters in a million dollar home is breaking my brain hard.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That little gap between the 3rd and 4th arrows from the left... why not just wall that poo poo in? Nobody would be able to see the gently caress up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

Also, maybe it's a regional thing, but baseboard heaters in a million dollar home is breaking my brain hard.

If they're full of copper pipes and hot water, it's a good thing in cold climates. If they are electric then lol. I have a guess about that crappy house.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
McMansion Hell is written by a 26 year old female architectural student. Might be somewhat off on age but it's something like that.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Platystemon posted:

This is some M.C. Escher poo poo. :wtc:

e: The author of McMansion Hell is younger than I imagined:

Texting in sixth grade :wtf: But I guess they were rich so that pushes it back a few years?

Late 20s or early thirties is too young?

Gah, the longer I look at that image the more I see. What could anyone put in the tiniest full-length wall cubby?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
she is 22 and an acoustics student at john hopkins.

source http://www.papermag.com/mcmansion-hell-tumblr-1994391954.html

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wild EEPROM posted:

she is 22 and an acoustics student at john hopkins.

source http://www.papermag.com/mcmansion-hell-tumblr-1994391954.html

That article is cool and good.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Was I way off or way way off?

Oh just way off ok

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

She's better than all of us and only 22 :ohdear:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Not mine but relevant:
https://instagram.com/p/BKhbqE_Aeg2/

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

#queerclay

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

That's no good, it's a hundred pounds below the minimum threshold for proper motorcycle theft deterrent :v:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm just confused as to how that 'fits perfectly' on the pallet jack or even, to that end, why/how that would be seen as an accomplishment worthy of praise.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slugworth posted:

I'm just confused as to how that 'fits perfectly' on the pallet jack or even, to that end, why/how that would be seen as an accomplishment worthy of praise.

Sounds to me like you are oppressing #queerclay

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It "fits perfectly" because the pallet jack is able to slide under it and then lift it off the ground. That is an exciting accomplishment because it means your 600lb art project can be moved safely by a single person with a readily available tool.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

This person literally took a cube of concrete, painted the top of it, and is using it as a representation of gender roles

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Manslaughter posted:

This person literally took a cube of concrete, painted the top of it, and is using it as a representation of gender roles

Woah, woah, woah. That bottom is curved sir. Definitely not a cube, that's just gauche.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The concrete represents the weight that social norms and divisions place on the individual, and the curved bottom of the forms reflects the inherent instability of these social constructs.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ashcans posted:

The concrete represents the weight that social norms and divisions place on the individual, and the curved bottom of the forms reflects the inherent instability of these social constructs.

So social norms won't keep your bike from getting stolen?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

A family of four in a 6,000 square-foot house can go days at a time without having to interact with each other in any real respect. When I was in the sixth grade, I remember visiting a friend who, rather than traverse down the massive, useless staircase, would text her mother, who was making dinner in the kitchen, or her sister who was 4 (mostly empty) rooms away

It's probably just the booze talking, but I really appreciate her talking about the spiritual decay of Mcmansion living along with the more practical stuff. There is something strangely sinister about the beige boxes when everyone living in them stops interacting with each other almost entirely. I'm kind of surprised there isn't some niche subgenre of Gothic literature based around them, or at least a solid horror film.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Youth Decay posted:

This isn't crappy construction, but it sure is...something.
http://www.houseviewonline.com/Real-Estate-Listing.php?ID=28502

I see this and all I can think is "190K for 8 bedrooms?" I need to get out of California.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Unknown if crappy construction, but probably crappy design. Here's a house going up next neighborhood over from me.

This is in Iowa. There is no shortage of snow here. I think their front door will disappear the first time the snow slides off any of those three sloped roofs aimed right at it, and will not be seen again until spring.

Also, there's something going on out back, I really don't know what?

My four year old has decided it's a built-in treehouse, I'm inclined to agree, seems reasonable enough.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Looks like it will be a weird wraparound deck with maybe a 3 season room under the overhanging thing. Might actually have a nice view from there.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Bozart posted:

Looks like it will be a weird wraparound deck with maybe a 3 season room under the overhanging thing. Might actually have a nice view from there.

Of Iowa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Also, there's something going on out back, I really don't know what?

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/house-rock

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 20, 2016