Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

AlexDeGruven posted:

The more I hear about battery drain on tablets, the more impressed I am with my Note 10.1 2014.

Mine was off the charger from 4pm Friday 'til I fired it up at 8am today, down only 12% and had all notifications that I got over the weekend.

Agreed. I got a 32GB LTE one, and it's leagues better than my old Nexus 10. I don't know why everyone was down on it. The only flaw, in my mind, is the use of physical buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Privilege Check posted:

Google translate allows you use a photograph of text as input for translation. Hit the camera icon in the app and it converts to text then translates.

Is there an app that streamlines this? And then saves the output as a PDF? If so, I'm really regretting throwing out that shredder, this would solve my personal mail sorting and bill storage issues forever.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tunga posted:

Sorry, yeah, 4.4 broke BBS, my bad.

Have you tried factory resetting it? I realise that shouldn't be the answer but it might help.
Yeah, and even with practically no apps it still sucked. But I'm not sure how location services were turned on for unfortunately. I had to reset it while travelling a couple months ago, because it was locking constantly for minutes at a time. I think that was related to having too much stuff stored on it and potentially trim not running.

I unfortunately can't find it now, but I'd come across a Google-related thread where people were having similar trouble and claiming only Asus replacing the main board would fix it.

I have a feeling there's something wrong with the way it senses the battery power. I.e. it thinks it's at 100% but really it's at a fraction of that and dies quickly. Also why it seemingly takes forever to charge.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
My official Nexus 7 sleeve arrived today. I don't like cases, but still wanted something that will let me throw it in a bag and not worry about it. The sleeve does the job perfectly. There's a little extra room and it could fit the 2012 version or you could put some other stuff in there as long as it's flat (boarding pass, microfiber cloth). There's also a pocket in the back for earbuds or whatever. The pocket is large enough to hold a Nexus 5 with room to spare. The whole thing looks and feels well-made and if I were going to make a complaint it would be that the pocket is too deep and it could be difficult to get something out of it if it's jammed all the way at the bottom. I was unable to wirelessly charge through the sleeve, but that's not really what it's for.

IoT
Dec 21, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

Hadlock posted:

Is there an app that streamlines this? And then saves the output as a PDF? If so, I'm really regretting throwing out that shredder, this would solve my personal mail sorting and bill storage issues forever.

Do you actually need to do a translation? If not there are a ton of OCR apps that can use camera input - pretty sure one will permit PDF output.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've got an old cheap tablet running droid 2.3.4 or thereabouts. For some reason when i try to watch video the speech is way way quieter than any bgm. Anyone know a good way to fix this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

I've got an old cheap tablet running droid 2.3.4 or thereabouts. For some reason when i try to watch video the speech is way way quieter than any bgm. Anyone know a good way to fix this?
Throw it in the electronics recycling bin and buy something that isn't horrible and is at least using an OS designed for tablets.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Throw it in the electronics recycling bin and buy something that isn't horrible and is at least using an OS designed for tablets.

Nook HD's are often like $60 and the last gen N7 is on sale for $130 right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To actually answer the question, that's usually a result of the media player thinking you have a center channel speaker. You didn't say what kind of video or in what app so it's hard to say.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
It's also possible that it's a shittily mixed video.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Am I imagining things, or were one or two Android tablets with digitizers announced during CES? I think Dell was working on one, while Nvidia had a hardware reference model up and running with their new Tegra and a Wacom digitizer? I'm really hoping someone comes out with something soon because it's 2014 and I'm bummed out that handwriting hasn't become more of a priority for devices like this. Imagine a Nexus 7 with handwriting support :swoon:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 3, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Karthe posted:

Am I imagining things, or were one or two Android tablets with digitizers announced during CES? I think Dell was working on one, while Nvidia had a hardware reference model up and running with their new Tegra and a Wacom digitizer? I'm really hoping someone comes out with something soon because it's 2014 and I'm bummed out that handwriting hasn't become more of a priority for devices like this. Imagine a Nexus 7 with handwriting support :swoon:

You might be thinking of the Tegra Note 7, although I'm fairly certain it's not a Wacom digitizer and rather some sort of mishmash of capacitive touch and pressure sensitivity.

Of course, that also wasn't announced during CES, so I'm probably wrong. But they have been doing digitizery stuff.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I lost my Nexus 7 2013 during a trip :(

If all I really do with my tablet is listen to Spotify and read on the Kindle app, should I just get that again? Or has anything else come out in that size range with a super high resolution screen?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

fookolt posted:

I lost my Nexus 7 2013 during a trip :(

If all I really do with my tablet is listen to Spotify and read on the Kindle app, should I just get that again? Or has anything else come out in that size range with a super high resolution screen?

There's always the Nook HD+

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

JoeMB posted:

There's always the Nook HD+

Which sometimes drips down to $60 or so. If you do get one make sure to install CM makes it much more useful.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 28, 2019

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Say I want to buy an unlocked nexus 7, used, on eBay, and use it on Verizon. And the seller says he used it in tmobile. Say I buy it, and make sure it's factory reset. Can I use it fine on Verizon even though it was used on T-Mobile?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Deep Winter posted:

Say I want to buy an unlocked nexus 7, used, on eBay, and use it on Verizon. And the seller says he used it in tmobile. Say I buy it, and make sure it's factory reset. Can I use it fine on Verizon even though it was used on T-Mobile?

SIM-unlocked is unlocked. The Nexus 7 2013 supports the 700MHz LTE band Verizon uses, and the FCC requires Verizon to allow "open devices" to access that network and prevents them from blocking content and applications (like tethering) when on that network.

Unfortunately, Verizon hasn't update their device activation process to allow you to go to a store and request an activated LTE SIM card for your Nexus 7. The guides I've seen have suggested that when Verizon asks for the MEID/IMEI of your device, you give them the IMEI from one of the LTE tablets they have on display, like a Samsung Tab or something. Once you put the activated SIM in your Nexus 7, your account will be automatically updated to the IMEI of your Nexus 7 and it'll show up as Non-VZW Device.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/11/how-to-activate-a-nexus-7-on-verizon-wireless/

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking
Is there any way to install a ROM on one of the new Kindle Fire HD 7's without registering? One got shipped to a friend accidentally and he sold it to me for way cheap, it's definitely blacklisted though. He said he'd refund if this happened, so whatever, but is there a way to get Cyanogen on it? Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I didn't see anything about it in the OP or a Kindle thread.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

silentpenguins posted:

One got shipped to a friend accidentally and he sold it to me for way cheap, it's definitely blacklisted though.

:raise:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GregNorc posted:

Alternatively is there some codec I might need? I have some AVIs working, but a copy of the Shield that plays in VLC and is .avi that won't play in MX Player properly

I don't know for sure but offhand I think the base player will work fine with the Nexus. I think the custom codecs are for less common devices with other chipsets, and the app might actually prompt those to download the relevant codec.

AVI is a container, the actual codec for the video stream could be a bunch of things. You can check in VLC, there's a menu option that shows you the stream formats. Honestly it might be worth just downloading Handbrake and converting it to something that will definitely work

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Anything that's .avi is probably using some janky rear end codec from a decade ago.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't know about the bestest, but something like x.264 video and AAC audio should look and sound good and decode in hardware, which will give you the best battery life.

Handbrake has an option for... fast decoding or some phrasing like that, basically it puts a bit more work in on your computer, to make decoding a lot easier on the device, which helps a lot. I've done that with stuttery HD content before (that killed my phone battery) and it comes out great.

There's even a bunch of presets in the program, like one for Android, but I just leave it on normal and tweak whatever. Maybe someone has some pro codec suggestions and settings but I'm more in the good enough camp for this, couple of clicks and a wait and it's good to go

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There really aren't any better options for content delivery other than those H264 presets. Like you could go in and do a 2-pass VBR encode and the x264 encoder lets you really mess with how b-frames get assembled, really nerdy poo poo like that, but in my experience you're just wasting time unless you have some specific needs that aren't being addressed by one of the presets. At this point I'd say every device in the world is optimized for 8-bit h264 playback so using anything besides that is pretty dumb.

But hey, we live in a world where nerds think that ripping an 8-bit Anime into 10-bit video somehow creates smaller file sizes and better quality. So do whatever.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So those Note 12.2 tablets look sexy. Hopefully there'll be a nice keyboard case for it and it should be a great laptop replacement. Or maybe it would be better to just buy a laptop. I dunno. Still mighty tempting though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oooh. I didn't see the new line of tab pros before. I was really hoping to get a nexus 10-esque tablet with my tax return. That 10.1 seems to fit the bill.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alan_Shore posted:

So those Note 12.2 tablets look sexy. Hopefully there'll be a nice keyboard case for it and it should be a great laptop replacement. Or maybe it would be better to just buy a laptop. I dunno. Still mighty tempting though.

At that price, you'd be better off getting something like a Surface Pro that runs a much more worthwhile "work" OS. A first gen Surface Pro with twice the storage capacity of the Note 12.2 is $500. And the size isn't really worth the extra cost, I'd say the Note 10.1 is a better form factor for tablety stuff.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well I suppose I'm already heavily invested in the android eco system, and I guess storage isn't too much of a problem these days,what with cloud storage and slapping a 64gb SD card in there. The question is it worth that obscene amount of money? Well I'd import so it wouldn't be as much... We'll see what the reviews say. I can't believe they still have loving buttons though (yes I can, goddammit Samsung).

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is there any hope in google releasing a nexus 10 tablet in 2014?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alan_Shore posted:

Well I suppose I'm already heavily invested in the android eco system, and I guess storage isn't too much of a problem these days,what with cloud storage and slapping a 64gb SD card in there. The question is it worth that obscene amount of money? Well I'd import so it wouldn't be as much... We'll see what the reviews say. I can't believe they still have loving buttons though (yes I can, goddammit Samsung).

The problem is really that any stylus functionality is basically limited to the Samsung ecosystem - S Note, the Samsung keyboard, et cetera. Not to mention word processing and PDF editing sucks poo poo on Android regardless. (I have no idea what you plan on doing with it, but if it's word processing or PDF editing, a Windows tab will serve you much better.)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Go to https://play.google.com/books and upload them. Then use the Google Books app and they should sync.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use moon reader. The only one with good format support and lots of config options. The ui is a terrible mess but doesn't get too much in your way after the initial setup.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

GregNorc posted:

Most of the mobi files say they "cannot be processed" - apparently only epub work?

PDF works too, but I think that's it?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Amazon don't let you side load your books, Google is epub and pdf. Really epub is the most ubiquitous format.

I really wish the ebook industry would get its poo poo together so I could spend as much as I do on steam.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

GregNorc posted:

What's the best way to read .mobi files on the Nexus 7?

I tried making a "books" directory, but the Kindle app doesn't seem to pick up any of them, just books I purchased from the Kindle store.

Woah the Kindle app loads mobi files just fine. You just have to send them from you Amazon email to your "kindle send to address". You can find the email in the "digital management" under "Your account" on Amazon.com Not sure why people are telling you otherwise on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004