Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

super fart shooter posted:

Oh I see. I just noticed that the boiler also has 1.8 MW consumption in it's tooltip, now I get it.

I'm thinking I might not get this thing running for a while, but in the meantime, is there any point to using turbines, heat exchangers, or heat pipes in conjunction with conventional boilers & steam engines, now that I've got all that stuff unlocked?

IIRC turbines / heat exchangers are only worthwhile for nuclear power, as they are most efficient at the temps nuclear power outputs (165 degrees C or something?). Sticking them onto boilers and stuff, I dunno if it'd work very well, because boilers output steam at a lower temperature.

Where can I go to get a ratio flowchart tool for Factorio 0.15? I am just starting my main bus and I wanna get my ratios right. Last time, I started using Foreman after my entire bus system was set up and it made me have to tear everything down and start from the beginning cause my ratios were awful.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Nuclear weapons are the goal, nuclear power is just a neat side bonus.

US_Energy_Policy.txt

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Collateral Damage posted:

Most importantly it compresses belts and as long as the output belts aren't backed up there's always room for the output inserters to unload so you never stall the inserters.

Top loading underground belts also fully saturates a belt while being three tiles narrower. If your output inserters are blocked then your row is either too long or you aren't using plates fast enough. The splitters solve a problem that isn't a problem.

quote:

And there's room for beacons too.

That's not nearly enough beacons.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loopoo posted:

Where can I go to get a ratio flowchart tool for Factorio 0.15? I am just starting my main bus and I wanna get my ratios right. Last time, I started using Foreman after my entire bus system was set up and it made me have to tear everything down and start from the beginning cause my ratios were awful.
When life gives you data lemons, time for Excel.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Foreman doesn't work for 0.15 :( I need my ratio flowchart program, where can I find one that works for the latest version?

zedprime posted:

When life gives you data lemons, time for Excel.

Foreman is unofficially fixed for 0.15: https://bitbucket.org/Pobiega/foreman/downloads/Foreman%200.2.1p.zip
Discussion/background: https://bitbucket.org/Nicksaurus/foreman/issues/113/foreman-fails-to-load-base-data-for-015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Loopoo posted:

IIRC turbines / heat exchangers are only worthwhile for nuclear power, as they are most efficient at the temps nuclear power outputs (165 degrees C or something?). Sticking them onto boilers and stuff, I dunno if it'd work very well, because boilers output steam at a lower temperature.

Yeah, I think the blog specifically stated that. Both produce steam, but using a turbine on a boiler means it works at a low enough efficiency you lose power (because turbines are tuned for nuclear steam) and if you use a steam engine on a nuclear reactor's output you're just throwing steam away.

Speaking of uranium/nuclear power: the amount of uranium on the goon island mapshare with default settings is obscene. In addition to the 56K on the island there's like 4 MILLION more uranium in various easily reached deposits east, west or south.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Uranium mining needs sulfuric acid which makes remote mining of it slightly difficult.

I don't know how much sulfuric acid it consumes so you could probably get by with hauling some barrels of it down there whenever you go to pick up your load of uranium ore?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think it's 10 units per 10 ore? If you hover over the ore patch, it'll tell you.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
edit: beaten

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If there's water near the uranium, you could ship sulfur and iron out to it (or just ship sulfur and smelt a little bit of iron out there) and make the acid on-site instead of fussing with barrels or a separate train.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Saddest Robot posted:

Uranium mining needs sulfuric acid which makes remote mining of it slightly difficult.

I don't know how much sulfuric acid it consumes so you could probably get by with hauling some barrels of it down there whenever you go to pick up your load of uranium ore?

Eh, the new train tanks make that easy. You can ship poo poo loads of any liquid around stupid easy now.

What I'm saying is trains are cool and good.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I decided to start 0.15 by playing on the higher recipe difficulty setting, which apparently doubles the amount of iron used for gears and steel and triples the copper used for circuits. This is the mess I ended up with in order to saturate a single green circuit assembler prior to researching stack size bonus. Not sure if I should be proud or dismayed:

Friends don't let friends put copper wire on belts. Getting stacksize bonus 2 allowed me to get rid of most of the excess inserters so it's a bit less messy, but still kind of horrifying.

In general, my current factory -- I just finished basic liquids and blue science -- is pretty squirrely. There's an ad-hoc bus and a mess of things around it, which is a lot more fun to work with than the well-planned and spacious factory I made last time I played. Embracing beltgore and solving the resuling problems as they happen is more fun, especially now that the recipes throw me off again.

That's 2 full iron lines feeding half a gear belt, which can barely keep up with science when it's running full tilt. I'm happy that they didn't go quite as ham on the recipe costs as I recall the old marathon mod doing, but I'm still going to need significantly more mining and smelting than usual. Seems like a nice enough balance.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So I'm setting up some minor automation for uranium fuel cells, and I want to tie it to only craft when I need a cell rather than just blowing all of my 235. What I'd like best is to set it up so it only pulls out of the assembler when the reactor is empty, but none of the nuclear structures can be hooked up to circuits. Currently I've got an accumulator hooked to an inserter, and the inserter set to only work when the accumulator is under 100% energy, and it's also set to a power switch that'll hook up my steam power since the accumulator doesn't last long enough for the inserter to actually insert a fuel cell. It'll work, but when reactor is out of fuel cells the turbines still have to burn off the heat that's sitting there. That takes forever at my current power consumption, which isn't bad, but I'd like to put something together that works a little smoother and doesn't need steam backup.

Does anyone else have a circuit setup that'll work a little better?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Alkydere posted:

It was a normal save. I had saved the game as "Goon Island" and then gone to play with a friend.

I went back yesterday and my "Goon Island" save had the friend's multiplayer game in it.
:siren: The default name for a save is whatever the last save you made was, even in a new game :siren:

This means you are very likely to accidentally overwrite your old save if you start a new game (such as in multiplayer)

Someone who posts on Factorio forums please report this.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Solumin posted:

I think it's 10 units per 10 ore? If you hover over the ore patch, it'll tell you.

Yeah its 10 / 10. Keep in mind that all fluid amounts got multiplied by 10, so its equivalent to 1 acid per 10 ore pre-patch (I forgot and build a chem plant just for Uranium mining :downs:).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Xerophyte posted:

I decided to start 0.15 by playing on the higher recipe difficulty setting, which apparently doubles the amount of iron used for gears and steel and triples the copper used for circuits. This is the mess I ended up with in order to saturate a single green circuit assembler prior to researching stack size bonus. Not sure if I should be proud or dismayed:

Friends don't let friends put copper wire on belts. Getting stacksize bonus 2 allowed me to get rid of most of the excess inserters so it's a bit less messy, but still kind of horrifying.

In general, my current factory -- I just finished basic liquids and blue science -- is pretty squirrely. There's an ad-hoc bus and a mess of things around it, which is a lot more fun to work with than the well-planned and spacious factory I made last time I played. Embracing beltgore and solving the resuling problems as they happen is more fun, especially now that the recipes throw me off again.

That's 2 full iron lines feeding half a gear belt, which can barely keep up with science when it's running full tilt. I'm happy that they didn't go quite as ham on the recipe costs as I recall the old marathon mod doing, but I'm still going to need significantly more mining and smelting than usual. Seems like a nice enough balance.

Always remember that you can put a short length of rail down and use a train carriage as an extra long super crate if you need to feed multiple assemblers into one.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Breetai posted:

Always remember that you can put a short length of rail down and use a train carriage as an extra long super crate if you need to feed multiple assemblers into one.

Yeah, that'll work. It does require that you've researched rail and gotten some pieces built, which you haven't when setting up green circuits. It also feels to me like bypassing the fun belt logistics problem of providing 20 wires/second to an assembler with a somewhat dull warehouse mod-like solution, but that's admittedly just me.

The "correct" early game approach is probably to ignore the actual ratio and do some simpler 3-1 or 4-1 setup that takes less attention to build. It's not like adhering to the no-idling ratio gives you anything in the early game, and player effort is by far the most constrained resource. When you've got beacons and module 3s everywhere then sure, a having idling assemblers in your design is actually costing you some measurable amount of resources, but then you've also got a lot of other tools to deal with the logistics issues.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I haven't touched this game in ages and I totally feel like it shows. It's hell on my perfectionism.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So what does a good furnace setup that has plenty of room for beacons look like?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Exact ratios of research flasks is extremely my jam, and I'm already planning, once I've got a modular armour with constructor bots, leaving this as a research and basic materials only base and then starting to construct dedicated smelting, military, and module production bases.

I'm REALLY digging the added complexity of the new research types, although gold flasks are ever so slightly intimidating. I'm also finding that I'm finally weaning myself off of having main lines for complex components like red circuits that could cause bottlenecks:anything more complicated than a green circuit should be constructed next to what it's a component of, and in the exact ratio required, as assemblers are dirt cheap at the end of the day but oversaturated bus belts are expensive to correct.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how do i remove blank blueprints from my inventory? i've just been tossing them into a chest

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

how do i remove blank blueprints from my inventory? i've just been tossing them into a chest

Shoot that chest

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I am not totally sure -- not at a computer with Factorio -- but I was able to do it last night. I think I opened the inventory and then right clicked on them. There is a delete button somewhere to the right.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can delete them by opening the blueprint and clicking the trashcan button. The feature was added in 15.3

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The new blueprint management stuff is a little archaic. It would be nice if you could put a blank blueprint in your hot bar and it would just auto create a new one when you use it. Having to go into the blueprint window to make a new one is annoying.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I have been dilly dallying and consumed most of my starting iron without getting very far. I need to setup some trains. Is it ideal to move raw ore from the next iron deposit, or god forbid setup smelters and ship plates?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I have been dilly dallying and consumed most of my starting iron without getting very far. I need to setup some trains. Is it ideal to move raw ore from the next iron deposit, or god forbid setup smelters and ship plates?

It's a 1:1 ore to plate ratio so whichever is easier. There's an argument that smelting plates is better so you can move plates to another stop, like if you wanted to make electronic circuits at the copper deposit, but most people aren't gonna do that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

I dunno how everyone else does it, but I just ship ore to my main base and have it siphon off to my dedicated smelting areas, which feeds my main buses.

I guess you could ship to a distant smelting factory then ship metal plates in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ore stacks to 50 and plates stack to 100 so you can technically get more plates into a single train, but I generally ship ore just to avoid having to set up a new smelting area for each deposit.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

In the 7 player game I'm hosting, we setup new smelting at the first remote patch for each of copper and iron (iron included steel processing). The idea is that in the future we can bring in ore for processing at this location.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What's the way to use blueprints early? I must be missing something. You can hover over each part and hit Q to select the part from your inventory and then click to place the thing, but that's tedious as hell.

Surely there's a button I can hold down while mousing over the blueprint ghost to place them all?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I would ship ore to the smelting area, then ship plates from there. Aren't there a couple recipes that require raw ore though?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
I always end up trucking in ore to a central smelting area.

Bhodi posted:

What's the way to use blueprints early? I must be missing something. You can hover over each part and hit Q to select the part from your inventory and then click to place the thing, but that's tedious as hell.

Surely there's a button I can hold down while mousing over the blueprint ghost to place them all?

I think it's just there to aid in planning

E;

Solumin posted:

Aren't there a couple recipes that require raw ore though?

Concrete does

E2;

The tank is useful and fun now.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 28, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

REDjackeT posted:

I think it's just there to aid in planning
That's tedious and silly because what I want is not functionally different from doing q-click-q-click-q-click, it'd be like if you had to place belts one tile at a time instead of click dragging them.

If that's really the way it's intended to work, the first mod I download is going to be one that makes it a button you can hold down.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Blueprints at the start of the game are just guidelines so you don't have to redesign your setups on every map. Then you unlock the personal roboport (fairly easily in comparison to .14, really) and it's away to the races.

The devs have mentioned they're considering some early game robot tech, but they didn't have anything for .15.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Onean posted:

So I'm setting up some minor automation for uranium fuel cells, and I want to tie it to only craft when I need a cell rather than just blowing all of my 235. What I'd like best is to set it up so it only pulls out of the assembler when the reactor is empty, but none of the nuclear structures can be hooked up to circuits. Currently I've got an accumulator hooked to an inserter, and the inserter set to only work when the accumulator is under 100% energy, and it's also set to a power switch that'll hook up my steam power since the accumulator doesn't last long enough for the inserter to actually insert a fuel cell. It'll work, but when reactor is out of fuel cells the turbines still have to burn off the heat that's sitting there. That takes forever at my current power consumption, which isn't bad, but I'd like to put something together that works a little smoother and doesn't need steam backup.

Does anyone else have a circuit setup that'll work a little better?

I haven't played 0.15 yet, (still screwing around with SeaBlock) but could you run wires to a boiler or a tank you put in between the boilers & turbines and measure the amount of reserve steam in your system? Once you get below 1/4 tank feed a fuel cell to the reactor.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Onean posted:

Blueprints at the start of the game are just guidelines so you don't have to redesign your setups on every map. Then you unlock the personal roboport (fairly easily in comparison to .14, really) and it's away to the races.

The devs have mentioned they're considering some early game robot tech, but they didn't have anything for .15.

Short-range clockwork roboports would be neat, or maybe the new boilers could allow for steam-powered bots.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Setting up distant smelting factories always fucks me up cause it produces such huge amounts of pollution that it's always heavily under attack. It's easier bringing it closer to my main megafactory which is already pretty heavily guarded.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dirk Pitt posted:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: setting up a smelter at the iron deposit is an actively bad idea, because the pollution will attract biters. You want a single centralised smeltery, either as an outpost in itself or as part of your main base. (Also remember the concrete recipe uses unprocessed iron ore.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Nevets posted:

I haven't played 0.15 yet, (still screwing around with SeaBlock) but could you run wires to a boiler or a tank you put in between the boilers & turbines and measure the amount of reserve steam in your system? Once you get below 1/4 tank feed a fuel cell to the reactor.

Oh, hey, that's an idea. I wonder if temperature can be read, but if not amount would be fine too.