Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

But yeah, the "super" enemies added in Broken Steel are a real pain in the behind. Everyone always seems to leave out the Super Mutant Overlords, who have as much health as the other super enemies except they also have gatling lasers and rocket launchers and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I chased the kids in Little Lamplight around with a flamethrower. It was such fun, I never wanted it to end. And it never did.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

I've never really understood the absolute undying hatred some people have for Little Lamplight but I'm not a socially crippled weirdo with an intense desire to murder children so maybe that has something to do with it

Well its pretty game jarring. Everything is hell in the wasteland. Bugs are huge, raiders are everywhere, and slavery is a thing.

And here is a known location with little defenses, but a good defensible position, full of rear end in a top hat kids. Why are they there? Why can't you kill or at least disrupt them? Why do you have to take their poo poo? Why can't I open this chest high door that they have? Its just video gamey and silly and completely out of place in a world ravaged by nuclear holocaust that the player is just rail roaded through.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Alaois posted:

But yeah, the "super" enemies added in Broken Steel are a real pain in the behind. Everyone always seems to leave out the Super Mutant Overlords, who have as much health as the other super enemies except they also have gatling lasers and rocket launchers and poo poo.

Unblockable innate damage bonuses are a great way of making enemies harder, guys.

The only reliable way to deal with the Super Mutant Overlords was to shoot their guns out of their hands, so they keep running to pick up their gun rather than attacking you.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jastiger posted:

Well its pretty game jarring. Everything is hell in the wasteland. Bugs are huge, raiders are everywhere, and slavery is a thing.

And here is a known location with little defenses, but a good defensible position, full of rear end in a top hat kids. Why are they there? Why can't you kill or at least disrupt them? Why do you have to take their poo poo? Why can't I open this chest high door that they have? Its just video gamey and silly and completely out of place in a world ravaged by nuclear holocaust that the player is just rail roaded through.

Yeah, silly things have no place in the Fallout universe!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember how fallout 1 had literally loving psychic people called "psykers"? remember the wanamingos? remember everything about New Reno?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Alaois posted:

I've never really understood the absolute undying hatred some people have for Little Lamplight but I'm not a socially crippled weirdo with an intense desire to murder children so maybe that has something to do with it

The problem is that they made all the children act really annoying and there's no alternate route so you have to play babysitter with the worst kids.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alaois posted:

This child said "gently caress"! Isn't that funny?! Oh wow he said "poo poo"! You better appreciate it because that's the only goddamn thing that's interesting here in this labyrinthine nightmare with around a dozen named characters running around it in accordance with unknowable schedules most of whom are useful once if at all!

This area is mandatory.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

The problem is that they made all the children act really annoying and there's no alternate route so you have to play babysitter with the worst kids.

or you can pass a speech check or take Child at Heart and walk through in a minute

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Alaois posted:

remember how fallout 1 had literally loving psychic people called "psykers"? remember the wanamingos? remember everything about New Reno?

No, jesus. What? Mental block perk? To not get mind controlled by the master? Did someone vandalize the hell out of this wiki I don't remember any of this!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Krinkle posted:

No, jesus. What? Mental block perk? To not get mind controlled by the master? Did someone vandalize the hell out of this wiki I don't remember any of this!

YEAH DUDE. Fallout 1 is a.) weirder than people remember, b.) shorter than people remember and c.) is really kinda messed-up design wise. Half the skills are worthless, the Followers' and Blades' endings are bugged, the location of the Gun Runners loving sucks, Harold isn't actually a ghoul, poo poo's crazy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

YEAH DUDE. Fallout 1 is a.) weirder than people remember, b.) shorter than people remember and c.) is really kinda messed-up design wise. Half the skills are worthless, the Followers' and Blades' endings are bugged, the location of the Gun Runners loving sucks, Harold isn't actually a ghoul, poo poo's crazy.

And Fallout 2 is pretty much half pop-culture references or even more game breaking bugs.

Fallout 2 really sucks actually, I hate it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What do you mean harold isn't a ghoul he's got that plant growing outta his head, skin green and sloughing off his head.

Haha wasn't Harold in FO3 with a full grown oak weighing down his head? Way up north?

e: I loved fallout 2 for in jokes. And the shine came off the apple when the best dialog turned out to have been taken from good the bad and the ugly. Verbatim.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Krinkle posted:

What do you mean harold isn't a ghoul he's got that plant growing outta his head, skin green and sloughing off his head.

Harold got a whiff of the ol' FEV iirc, he's not a radiation mutant like the ghouls actually are. That's not really that big a deal though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Haha wasn't Harold in FO3 with a full grown oak weighing down his head? Way up north?

e: I loved fallout 2 for in jokes. And the shine came off the apple when the best dialog turned out to have been taken from good the bad and the ugly.

Harold wasn't created by radiation and heat like real ghouls, he was exposed to the same chemicals that turned The Master into The Master, it just turned him into a ghoul-like mutant instead.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

So Harold is a supermutant who didn't lift weights? Guy is just the most chill being in existence, didn't have the pineal gland explode in rage and hulk out. Like bruce banner on qualudes just turning green and sticking his thumb out roaming the open road. Not much to get angry about, no sir.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Krinkle posted:

So Harold is a supermutant who didn't lift weights? Guy is just the most chill being in existence, didn't have the pineal gland explode in rage and hulk out. Like bruce banner on qualudes just turning green and sticking his thumb out roaming the open road. Not much to get angry about, no sir.

Yeah, basically there were 3 flavors of FEV mutants in the original batch the Master made. There were ones like Harry, the "dumb brute" super mutant at the water pump in Necropolis, one's like Harold, who kept their intelligence (or had it increased) but are basically desiccated corpses, and what the Master actually wanted in the Lieutenant or Marcus who had both the size and intelligence.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

Yeah, basically there were 3 flavors of FEV mutants in the original batch the Master made. There were ones like Harry, the "dumb brute" super mutant at the water pump in Necropolis, one's like Harold, who kept their intelligence (or had it increased) but are basically desiccated corpses, and what the Master actually wanted in the Lieutenant or Marcus who had both the size and intelligence.

Weren't the various mutant animals created by the FEV too, but from animals instead of humans?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
FEV turned already somewhat mutated wastelanders into dumb super mutants. Vault dwellers that were genetically closer to pre-war people turn into smart super mutants. That was the plot point for why the mutants wanted Vault 13.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Slime posted:

Weren't the various mutant animals created by the FEV too, but from animals instead of humans?

The explanation for why all of the animals in the wasteland mutated isn't just radiation, in Fallout 1 it was specifically because of the nuke that hit the military research facility that was now the Glow. The Glow was a test site for FEV, so when it got nuked FEV spread out into the wasteland in a less concentrated fashion than if you were dipped.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alaois posted:

The explanation for why all of the animals in the wasteland mutated isn't just radiation, in Fallout 1 it was specifically because of the nuke that hit the military research facility that was now the Glow. The Glow was a test site for FEV, so when it got nuked FEV spread out into the wasteland in a less concentrated fashion than if you were dipped.

Later Fallout Bibles sorta backed off on this one, since it took a little bit away from Pulp feel.

After all, it isn't radiation. It's Radiation!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

I disliked it but my reaction was "I wish I could skip this lovely level" and not "I can't believe this game doesn't let me kill children".

I thought the worst thing about Fallout 3 was the map. You'd be walking toward some waypoint on your map, and then when you're 500 feet away you'll realize it's on the other side of an impassible wall and you'll need to make a 20 minute detour to get to it. Dragon Age Inquistion was also really bad about this. You know what game wasn't? Witcher 3. There were a few instances here and there but for the most part you could actually walk straight towards some location and actually get there.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

For me, Geralt drags down the Witcher games, I would much rather play as a less experienced, more likeable character or even be able to roll my own witcher. Geralt is a dick and there is no reason for him to have RPG character building at his age and level of experience.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Oct 21, 2015

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I felt map woes in a different way. The level design of the vaults in Fallout 3 made zero effort to work around the local map having no "view only one floor" function, so you had a bunch of staircases leading to hallways that crossed back in on themselves over and over, making actually navigating them pretty much impossible unless you remember every turn on the way in.

Of course, in another case of Obsidian knowing how to work with Bethesda's engine better than Bethesda does, New Vegas' vaults were a lot more horizontally spaced out so this was hardly a problem there.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Basically "be like New Vegas" is a good idea for any new Fallout or TES game. It takes the TES formula and makes a truly great RPG out of it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

For me, Geralt drags down the Witcher games, I would much rather play as a less experienced, more likeable character or even be able to roll my own witcher. Geralt is a dick and there is no reason for him to have RPG character building at his age and level of experience.

Well someone doesn't like dad jokes.

Also by that reasoning, none of the following should have rpg charecter building : Commander Shephard, JC Denton, Cloud Strife, Ryu Hyabusha, etc etc

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also by that reasoning, none of the following should have rpg charecter building : Commander Shephard, JC Denton, Cloud Strife, Ryu Hyabusha, etc etc

Yes, you have successfully identified That One Dumb Thing That Most RPGs Do Which Makes No Sense.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yes, you have successfully identified That One Dumb Thing That Most RPGs Do Which Makes No Sense.

Which is why i was pointing out that it's a dumb complaint. It's a genre convention, and there are very few games where it actually fits with the plot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Two shooters, a JRPG and whatever the hell Shenmue is. Yes, those are all bad aspects of their respective games, well done.

Geralt also comes with several terrible novels of backstory you can't avoid, and the developers wanted the protagonist to be someone other than Geralt until they were vetoed, and it hurts the games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

ryu hayabusa? was ninja gaiden 3 a jrpg?

out of all the dlc enemies that came from fallout 3, i hated the albino radscorpions the most. those guys could tank damage from several lunchbox mines.

Woolie Wool posted:

i'm hoping there'll be more witcher games but without geralt. another witcher from a different school could be a cool addition and add some more worldbuilding.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Commander Shepard basically goes through a complete change in careers, JC Denton gets more and more robot bits shoved into him over the course of the game, the Courier from New Vegas gets his expertise and background blasted out of his head by Benny, Ryu Hayabusa isn't even an RPG character, and I don't really remember Final Fantasy VII all that well aside from "Aeris dies" so I can't really comment on that. But that's actually the reason most other JRPGs besides FFVII have the lead character start out as a teenager or a nobody, so he has room to grow into a hero. Crono stats out as some teenage schmuck being woken up by his mom to go to the fair--his sword in the beginning of the game isn't even a real sword, it's a toy made out of wood.

E: And as I said before, I really like the Human Noble background from DA:O because he basically starts as the Duke Teyrn of Highever's emergency reserve heir--he knows which end of the sword is the pointy end and has some basic combat training, but no real world experience and is not particularly good at anything, much like a level 1 RPG character.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Oct 21, 2015

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Two shooters, a JRPG and whatever the hell Shenmue is. Yes, those are all bad aspects of their respective games, well done.

Ryu Hyabusha is Ninja Gaiden you scrub.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In FF7 Cloud thinks he's a super-badass rogue SOLDIER but that turns out to actually be someone else he's conflating his memories with because of Mako poisoning so either it's completely unjustified or its a wonder he's not level negative something. :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I thought it was weird that the first act of FF7 spends so much time hyping up SOLDIER but aside from Zack and Sephiroth you never actually meet anybody from SOLDIER for the entire rest of the game aside from some random encounter grunts. It seems like the kind of thing that would lend itself well to being a series of bosses, like MGS' various elite soldier groups.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sleeveless posted:

I thought it was weird that the first act of FF7 spends so much time hyping up SOLDIER but aside from Zack and Sephiroth you never actually meet anybody from SOLDIER for the entire rest of the game aside from some random encounter grunts. It seems like the kind of thing that would lend itself well to being a series of bosses, like MGS' various elite soldier groups.

They expand more on the SOLDIER poo poo in the spinoff games and it gets really, really stupid. The entire expanded FF7 universe kind of drags down the original game with it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The fans call it "The Complication" for a reason.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I hope Gackt shows up in the new game.

Maybe as Sephiroth.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Maybe as Sephiroth.

I'm genuinely expecting them to shove him into the remake somewhere. Probably as a bonus boss. Oh man I hope they manage to put in all those awful Dirge of Cerberus characters too, that would be amazing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Maybe as Sephiroth.

Lance Bass is still alive, no reason he can't reprise the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nuebot posted:

I'm genuinely expecting them to shove him into the remake somewhere. Probably as a bonus boss. Oh man I hope they manage to put in all those awful Dirge of Cerberus characters too, that would be amazing.

Word on the street is that Gackt pulled out the right for his image from any FF7 games so his incredibly dumb character is no more.