Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lol if sabbatini wins this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Weedle posted:

lol if sabbatini wins this
Slovakia’s very own

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wish I could change the thread title to this image, but alas,

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Xander tryin' really hard to throw this away.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Petey posted:

Same. After I began to be able to a hit a driver, and hit it far, the feeling of absolute power and positive reinforcement from my dad made me just want to go ham on every hole. But I'm so much less reliable with my 60* from 60 yards than my gap from 120, so I'm trying to make myself just do my 4i sometimes.

Played my local 9 hole yesterday with some friends. Played from the whites with my buddy, 5660 yards. Only played my driver on three holes (two par 5s, long 4) instead of everything but the par 3s (my usual). No lost balls, no penalty shots, no sand. Didn't quite have my putter (2.00 instead of my 1.8 recently), and had a few horrible duffs on the first three holes, but still shot +8. My intermediate goal for a long time — as someone who is usually shooting +25-30 with 3-5 penalty strokes and 1-2 sand traps over 18 — has been a penalty-free bogey golf round, and it feels good to have hit it. Still want to do it on 18.

Petey fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 1, 2021

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I hit my first birdie yesterday, on a 95y par 3.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Panzeh posted:

I hit my first birdie yesterday, on a 95y par 3.

Good job. There are days those holes will be the hardest.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
What if for the Olympics they did (for both M & W) a 2 day stroke play tourney and then a 2 person scramble then a mixed M/W scramble instead of just a normal 4 day stroke play event? Either do something like that or shitcan it, meh. I'm just glad I didn't hear any dipshit frat bro's screaming the entire time.

Also, did Matsu go back to the 18th green afterwards and dutifully commit seppuku? :japan:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 1, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Played four rounds at OBX - one at Nags Head Golf Links, one at Sea Scape Golf Links, two at Kilmarlic Golf Club.

Nags Head and Sea Scape were fine but overpriced in my opinion. $100+ for the privilege of being close to the beach. Nags Head had holes along the Sound, which was cool. I liked Kilmarlic a lot more, beautiful course and was able to be much wider since it wasn't as space-limited.

Also my single-plane driver swing (goons HATE this one weird trick!) helped me boom straight drives all week. sure is fun to pull out the big stick when you're not slicing it off the planet!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Olympic Golf should be match play IMO.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just shot the best round of my life! Finished with an 82, 46% fairways hit, 50% GIR, 36 puts with an average drive of 257 yards. That's really good for me! My putting was awful on the front nine so I could have easily shot under 80.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

played a few holes on the par 3 course after my lesson and made a wild tee shot that blasted off a rock in the creek and ended up on the green. golf rules

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Liam from golfmates was on the bag for a European tour win this week.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Ooh I get to buy a new driver "excited"

I currently have the one that came with this incredibly average cheap Wilson set and I can't hit it straight, always curls off right. Every other club I can smack in a straight line no problem until my coach just said

"Gimme that"

And then says "well poo poo" as he smashes it into the distance and watches it curl right. Then mock frowns at my ladylike cackling.

He then went off and looked at it and did some odd comparison voodoo with some other clubs. Came back and hit some others, all good, all straight, hit mine, off to the right again.

He said "I can explain why this is happening and how if you did this (changes grip by about a millimetre to my know-nothing eyes, then hits it dead straight) each time you could compensate for it, but for the sake of both our sanity, would you please consider getting a proper driver?"

He's going to bring a whole bunch of them with him next time. *Excited*

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ah yes, the “spend more money here and it’ll fix your game” approach.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah but new drivers are always super exciting - I don't blame her for being stoked at all.

Another interesting R10 (Yeesh content for this thing is still super sparse - hopefully they start shipping soon!) video came out with him demoing the Home Tee Hero app, which is their sim-like solution that's 99.99 a year. I actually think it looks really good and the club tracking seems legit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMC0QhRJeaU

Kirios fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 2, 2021

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

RCarr posted:

Ah yes, the “spend more money here and it’ll fix your game” approach.

Well he tells me my irons are absolutely fine and he's going to find me a range of second hand drivers from the places he works out of so this isn't about bleeding me stupid thankfully. The prices seem to be about £50-£150 for what were £150/£350 + clubs.

My 3 wood is very very nice - the hybrid and I still aren't talking.

He gave me a lot of info I gleaned at the time but can't remember very well. There is something about the way the driver is constructed that means it (for whatever reason) sits a certain way and needs correcting (how the way it's been weighted means it sits slightly too open when you address the tee? - my memory is failing me). Since as part of the bag it is worth about £30, he recommends I just get a better one and not learn from the start a slight modification for this one thing that I'd then have to unlearn when I get nicer clubs or when I swap to other ones.

He also told me to ignore grips, gloves, fancy balls and tees because they were problems that one day I'd be happy to have. He did say I couldn't have enough hats. Hats are cool apparently! He will disown me if I buy a cookie monster club cover he saw me looking at.

TLDR - me still bad. However this specific club is not good. Therefore badness may intensify.

I'd like to think he wasn't lining me up for some terrible £1500+ purchase. He'd turned up with some other clubs and I'd asked what they were for - he told me they were for the lesson after me. There's some kid who only owns two of his Dad's old clubs but is some kind of proto-golf genius so he seems to be doing little quick freebie lessons with him in-between noobs like me with money but no clue. I like him - he seems like an ok dude. AND - so loving important - completely not creepy ever. I can't tell you how nice it is to have someone rearrange my hands, arms, and adjust swing without feeling gross. He always asks every drat time before he even touches my grip.

I mean check in 18 months from now when I'm going off for my Ping fitting and point and laugh I guess :classiclol:

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 2, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hell yeah enjoy it. I don’t think anyone would seriously try to dissuade you from upgrading from a starter Wilson set. What’s this thread for if not to egg each other on for expensive golf purchases?

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
Yes to upgrading clubs! I recently went from a second hand, 7+ year old Exotics brand driver to a TM Sim driver and it's one of the best investments I ever made. I can drive the ball an extra 25 yards with a slower swing speed than my previous club.

nerox
May 20, 2001

AndrewP posted:

Hell yeah enjoy it. I don’t think anyone would seriously try to dissuade you from upgrading from a starter Wilson set. What’s this thread for if not to egg each other on for expensive golf purchases?

If you don't have a full set of PXG Gen 4's, what are you doing with your life?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I'm just gonna stay over here, making vague plans to pick up the game again for the first time in 7 years...with my decade-and-a-half-old Tommy Armour set that I got secondhand in the good-condition Tommy Armour cart bag that was a Father's Day gift to myself (from my neighbor's curb). I've never understood the "money = good" mentality.

My dad's Yonex Rekin 10 irons were hella expensive back in the day...but I shot the single worst nine holes of my life with them. (See, I was on the golf team in high school...I imagined that if I was gonna be on the golf team, I was hot poo poo and had to use unforgiving graphite-shaft pro-level clubs with tiny heads. Those clubs led to me shooting 70 in my first nine-hole match.) The Tommy Armours are average, steel-shafted, average head size...and they feel good to hit. Or I think they do, it's been almost a decade.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

D34THROW posted:

I'm just gonna stay over here, making vague plans to pick up the game again for the first time in 7 years...with my decade-and-a-half-old Tommy Armour set that I got secondhand in the good-condition Tommy Armour cart bag that was a Father's Day gift to myself (from my neighbor's curb). I've never understood the "money = good" mentality.

My dad's Yonex Rekin 10 irons were hella expensive back in the day...but I shot the single worst nine holes of my life with them. (See, I was on the golf team in high school...I imagined that if I was gonna be on the golf team, I was hot poo poo and had to use unforgiving graphite-shaft pro-level clubs with tiny heads. Those clubs led to me shooting 70 in my first nine-hole match.) The Tommy Armours are average, steel-shafted, average head size...and they feel good to hit. Or I think they do, it's been almost a decade.

The important part of golf clubs isn’t price, it’s the fit. I got new clubs fitted, and they changed the lie up 3 degrees, and my handicap dropped 7 points.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

The important part of golf clubs isn’t price, it’s the fit. I got new clubs fitted, and they changed the lie up 3 degrees, and my handicap dropped 7 points.

I went two degrees upright and man, my consistency was day and night.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

I honestly forgot this was even a thing. How much did having a set of clubs fitted run you? I'm gonna put that on the save-up-for list. Unlike my brother who saved up for a...whatever that fake-golf thing you can put in your house is. The net and projectors and screen or whatever.

Side note, I just pulled all my poo poo out of the garage and my 3-year-old was absolutely thrilled when I pulled out the Controller and messed with it in the front yard for a minute. I am out of fuckin' shape, good Lord. He thinks my headcovers are all puppets and that my driver is the coolest thing in the world. :3:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Well I messed up, started lifting again and now my 8 iron goes 150 yards but I can't hit anything but a diving mega draw hook on my driver

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Plank Walker posted:

Well I messed up, started lifting again and now my 8 iron goes 150 yards but I can't hit anything but a diving mega draw hook on my driver

When I do that I think about opening the face more in the backswing and I get out of it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

D34THROW posted:

I honestly forgot this was even a thing. How much did having a set of clubs fitted run you? I'm gonna put that on the save-up-for list. Unlike my brother who saved up for a...whatever that fake-golf thing you can put in your house is. The net and projectors and screen or whatever.

Side note, I just pulled all my poo poo out of the garage and my 3-year-old was absolutely thrilled when I pulled out the Controller and messed with it in the front yard for a minute. I am out of fuckin' shape, good Lord. He thinks my headcovers are all puppets and that my driver is the coolest thing in the world. :3:

Well, I got fitted for irons for $100 (1 hour session). They did such a good job, I ordered through them with zero discount on the clubs, but I'm all about rewarding good local service.

You can also just get the fitting data from them, and then go buy clubs from a discounter and get them modified. Or, compare the lie angles on the clubs to a cheaper brand, and them get those modified accordingly.

My fit was 1/4" shorter, 3 degree up. Some brands have different default lies, so you have to do a little math. I think Mizunos are famously a different default lie from others.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Well, I got fitted for irons for $100 (1 hour session). They did such a good job, I ordered through them with zero discount on the clubs, but I'm all about rewarding good local service.

You can also just get the fitting data from them, and then go buy clubs from a discounter and get them modified. Or, compare the lie angles on the clubs to a cheaper brand, and them get those modified accordingly.

My fit was 1/4" shorter, 3 degree up. Some brands have different default lies, so you have to do a little math. I think Mizunos are famously a different default lie from others.

Thanks for the info :) How do you find out what works? Just go to a shop and start trying stuff?

So after my golf team season I quit for 2 years and then played casually another 2 before moving to MD and leaving all my stuff behind. I'm still in a hiatus...but getting out thr clubs today made me realize how hosed my setup was. I hunch my shoulders like crazy, bend over too much...god, I can't wait to hit the range and get back into it.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
It's pretty hot 🔥

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That’s just my approach shot as I blade a lob wedge past the green from 30 yards out :smug:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Y'all, I cleaned my clubs today and I realized I got a lot of work to do. No reason that I should be hitting towards the toe end of the grooves on...every iron. Especially my wedges. On the plus side, I remembered how pretty they are.

EDIT: vvv Reminds me of my dad. He's ridiculously good at chipping so if he has to chip, he doesn't bother bringing his putter. He either chips it in or is close enough to putt with the wedge.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 3, 2021

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I did my first proper golf course today(one with not par 3s) and it was rough, but my short game was not bad at all. I especially found that my chips onto the green did very well with my weird 'putter over the shoulder with my offhand while i one-hand the wedge' technique. The long bombs with one hand are a massive pain but chipping it is not that difficult for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The women's Olympic competition starts coverage in 10 minutes, coverage is 6:30pm-3am every night on Golf Channel :3:. Should be a much more interesting competition than the men's which, to be fair, was pretty dramatic.

Pretty juicy tee times to kick things off tonight:
7:14pm Nasa Hataoka, Jin Young Ko, Nelly Korda
7:25pm Brooke Henderson, Lexi Thompson, Yuka Saso
7:41pm In Bee Park, Lydia Ko, Shanshan Feng

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
++ on going 1-2 degrees upright helping my swing a lot.

Plank Walker posted:

I have a really hard time maintaining my powerlifting regimen and golfing well. It doesn't matter how much yoga or chiro or mobility I do, once I'm pushing deads my back doesn't want to rotate the same way.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I always loved Inbee's slow backswing. You can almost hear her powering up (rnrnrnRnRnRnRNRNRN thwack!).

And Shanshan is fun to watch. Seems like she's just enjoying playing. If she wins, great, if not, well, she had a nice walk and conversation with her caddie.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I had forgot I get to play Gamble Sands this weekend and I'm so fuckin psyched. I'm playing with my old man who I've mentioned before in this thread and he sucks...so I will, by extension, also suck.

Is posting pictures of the places you play here something folks enjoy? I always like to see real world pictures of courses and the folks playing them. Anyways, send me positive vibes golf thread!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Man I wish I could commit to any given swing as much as Brooke does. It doesn't have the technical precision of a lot of the swings on the LPGA but I just love watching her go at it.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I hate Inbee because her swing is amazing (I don’t really hate her). And Brooke has the LPGA John Daly swing. Couple years ago I went to the Shop Rite in NJ and her swing sounds the same as like Finau in person, just incredible how much power she generates.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mcqueen posted:

I had forgot I get to play Gamble Sands this weekend and I'm so fuckin psyched. I'm playing with my old man who I've mentioned before in this thread and he sucks...so I will, by extension, also suck.

Is posting pictures of the places you play here something folks enjoy? I always like to see real world pictures of courses and the folks playing them. Anyways, send me positive vibes golf thread!

Please, always nice to see good courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So apparently it’s stupid hot for the ladies right now? Lexi’s caddie had an episode of heat exhaustion, had to get a replacement. Said she drank 16 bottles of water? Holy poo poo.