Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Luneshot posted:

What I've heard is that the game literally reruns stellar forge to generate the system map.

I really hope that's not true though because jesus thats so loving dumb

I don't see any way they're caching it. Every time I pull up the system map it takes 10-20 seconds, and the only explanation for that is, it's querying a remote server every time for the hot sweet system datas.

Bugs me too.

But hey, if that's the extent of my gripes, that's pretty good cause god drat I can complain about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toops posted:

I don't see any way they're caching it. Every time I pull up the system map it takes 10-20 seconds, and the only explanation for that is, it's querying a remote server every time for the hot sweet system datas.

Bugs me too.

But hey, if that's the extent of my gripes, that's pretty good cause god drat I can complain about anything.

Yeah, it's really more a quality-of-life niggle than a huge showstopper annoyance. I just find it weird that it needs any loading at all, even more so that it requires more loading time than the galaxy map. For the latter, I can understand that it'll want to ask the server what's close-by, and while some of it is obviously cached to show up on the navigation menu, the map extends far beyond what it shows.

For the system map, though, shouldn't that information already be fully known? What makes it so much different from what the client uses to place and simulate all the bodies in the 3D world you're flying through? Is it the planet surfaces being rendered for accurate representation, rather than them using a set of static type pictures (I'm guessing that data is normally streamed to the client as you actually fly close to a given body)?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Yeah, it's really more a quality-of-life niggle than a huge showstopper annoyance. I just find it weird that it needs any loading at all, even more so that it requires more loading time than the galaxy map. For the latter, I can understand that it'll want to ask the server what's close-by, and while some of it is obviously cached to show up on the navigation menu, the map extends far beyond what it shows.

For the system map, though, shouldn't that information already be fully known? What makes it so much different from what the client uses to place and simulate all the bodies in the 3D world you're flying through? Is it the planet surfaces being rendered for accurate representation, rather than them using a set of static type pictures (I'm guessing that data is normally streamed to the client as you actually fly close to a given body)?

Really looks like the planet surfaces in the map are rendered accurately. I remember sometimes after zooming in to a planet the texture turns into hot garbage for a second before suddenly reverting to a better version. Sure looks like the system map is collecting information from some far away part of the internet because I don't think a graphics card capable of running Elite: Horizons with stable 60 FPS would fail that badly at something so simple.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

I find it amusing when these missions are for such common items.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's special hydrogen fuel that can melt steel beams :tinfoil:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's even more special than that, it's stolen!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's hydrogen fuel with that special dye bomb that goes off when you remove it from the bowser into unmarked wax lined brown paper bags.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Considering how much they pay you to shift 6 tons of hydrogen, I choose to believe it's actually 6 containers filled with highly valuable contraband labeled "hydrogen" for stealth reasons. :colbert:

And believe me, that's necessary here since there's always a leak somewhere. How do you think all those NPCs spawning on your rear end always know about your jobs and can pinpoint your position with 100% accuracy? :tinfoil:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

You shouldn't have buried this under a bunch of screenshots because it's cool as gently caress.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Just picking up this old thing again…

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I know this is the common parlance, but it has not been my experience. I have found the most WWs, TCs, and all of my unscanned ELWs around neutron stars or brown dwarfs of all loving things...and usually way outside the habitable zone.

I suppose it's why it's only really a general guideline rather than a strict rule. I just came across this silly thing, which breaks almost all the “rules” for what to expect from a system. It's an A-F binary in a pair with a second F-star, and they're all far too young and hot. In Nevertheless, it's a system with five terraformables — including a life-bearing water world — and one earth-like.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 20, 2016

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Went to a black hole inside a nebula some 5k LY from the bubble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLFby0bPkBc

Got a bit dizzy on those close passes :v:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

Reddit image dump.
Are you using any image quality/shader mods?

This is loving great. In a large enough space it'd be amazing to be able to look out all the windows at the bulk of the ship below you.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

slidebite posted:

That's a kick in the junk. How lovely is the stock jump range?

You can get just over 8ly if you sell the weapons and shield generator and drain the tank to to just enough fuel to make the jump, I needed at least 12 to be able to leave.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Astroniomix posted:

You can get just over 8ly if you sell the weapons and shield generator and drain the tank to to just enough fuel to make the jump, I needed at least 12 to be able to leave.

One of the few cases where Jumponium comes in handy in the bubble.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mike the TV posted:

One of the few cases where Jumponium comes in handy in the bubble.

Sadly this particular event predates that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Basically no one's doing the rares-trading CG. I'm in the top 50% already with just 20 tons delivered.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Main Paineframe posted:

Basically no one's doing the rares-trading CG. I'm in the top 50% already with just 20 tons delivered.

Well it is a 300 LY journey between the two points.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Rare-trading CGs are almost always trash. They are annoying to make even a few deliveries before burning out and Frontier makes it so thousands of people would have to trade for several hours each to reach the top goal, so it never happens and the payouts are consistently bad.

The only CGs worth doing are for delivering regular goods (if you can afford a T6 or better) or bounty hunting and even then they're only good about half of the time. Expect a great CG with a massive payout about once a month.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there still a bug where if you contribute to a CG then never collect it until after the next update you get the max payout ? Those were the days.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sylink posted:

Is there still a bug where if you contribute to a CG then never collect it until after the next update you get the max payout ? Those were the days.

That one's long gone IIRC.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well it is a 300 LY journey between the two points.

I was hoping I'd get a high tier and a big chunk of the payout, since I can't afford the really big cargo ships I'd likely be competing with on the other one. Starting to regret it, though, since it hasn't even reached tier 1 yet and I'm already in the top 25%. Oh well. Couple more runs, and then off to something else. Exploring, probably. Is it worth bringing a hangar that can hold multiple SRVs?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Is it worth bringing a hangar that can hold multiple SRVs?

Depends on how far you're planning to go. And how often you fall into deep canyons

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Exploring, probably. Is it worth bringing a hangar that can hold multiple SRVs?

Ships that can carry all the assorted junk you'd want for a long-range exploration trip will not be significantly burdened by the larger SRV bays, so there's little reason not to carry a spare (or two). If you're just starting out and using some smaller/cheaper ship to get the hang of things, then no — you're not likely to come across anything particularly dangerous or be far enough out that it isn't just time to go back and cash in/restock anyway if you happen to blow up your one SRV.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Tippis posted:

Ships that can carry all the assorted junk you'd want for a long-range exploration trip will not be significantly burdened by the larger SRV bays, so there's little reason not to carry a spare (or two). If you're just starting out and using some smaller/cheaper ship to get the hang of things, then no — you're not likely to come across anything particularly dangerous or be far enough out that it isn't just time to go back and cash in/restock anyway if you happen to blow up your one SRV.

This is true, even in the asp most people bring a two-SRV bay in the 5 slot. But right now SRVs are being instantly replaced when lost, as a bandaid fix for a bug that causes them to explode when they shouldn't. So unless you're going on a long trip, feel free to bring one and drive like a maniac

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm thinking of upgrading to an anaconda. Is it still worthwhile to sell the components on an old ship separately to save 10% or did they fix that quirk?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

slidebite posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading to an anaconda. Is it still worthwhile to sell the components on an old ship separately to save 10% or did they fix that quirk?

They did "fix" it and had such an uproar about it they changed it back. Yes, still sell all your components first.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I've an asp exploder and a murdervulture and I'm 20 mil short of a python. Hazres's are fun for an hour or two, but I think if I sit down and seriously grind out 20 million credits I'm going to get bored. Does Robigo still work/exist?

Eichel
Apr 23, 2008

Little Oak Thing

Tippis posted:

While out on Distant Worlds a bunch of us discovered that, hilariously, system map opening time has a direct link to FPS.

The moment we turned off vsync and any frame rate limits, it sped up dramatically.

(To be fair though, none of us are experiencing opening times even close to ten to twenty seconds, so there may be something else going on there).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I've an asp exploder and a murdervulture and I'm 20 mil short of a python. Hazres's are fun for an hour or two, but I think if I sit down and seriously grind out 20 million credits I'm going to get bored. Does Robigo still work/exist?

Yeah Robigo still works.

The python costs a lot to upgrade though. It's probably the most expensive ship to fit after the Big Three.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eichel posted:

While out on Distant Worlds a bunch of us discovered that, hilariously, system map opening time has a direct link to FPS.

The moment we turned off vsync and any frame rate limits, it sped up dramatically.

(To be fair though, none of us are experiencing opening times even close to ten to twenty seconds, so there may be something else going on there).

There seems to be a correlation between the number of objects in a system map and loading times. Because generally system maps with just a couple objects in it (a sun + a couple ice planets, for example) load a helluva lot faster then maps with 50+ planets in them.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Lima posted:

Yeah Robigo still works.

The python costs a lot to upgrade though. It's probably the most expensive ship to fit after the Big Three.

Yep. I'm looking at a cheap as possible does nothing but haul build to see if I can't get into some of that CG money before it expires, and goddamn if even a stripped-down, no-tank build doesn't cost more than I have. Hell, just an ok-looking PvE build costs more than an Anaconda hull.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

DreadLlama posted:

Yep. I'm looking at a cheap as possible does nothing but haul build to see if I can't get into some of that CG money before it expires, and goddamn if even a stripped-down, no-tank build doesn't cost more than I have. Hell, just an ok-looking PvE build costs more than an Anaconda hull.

Skip composite for PVE, you'll be fine.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

The station there is under Imperial control at the moment, I'm not sure if that affects mission generation into Fed space or not.

If for some reason it does, Sothis, Almagest and Takurua still work fine (I probably horribly misspelled those last two, they're next door to Robigo though so not that hard to find).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Natsuumi posted:

They did "fix" it and had such an uproar about it they changed it back. Yes, still sell all your components first.
Jesus, I don't know if a guy should be happy that they listen to the "community" or not.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

Just for the record, you can also do long range smuggling/hauling runs from Sothis/Ceos (which have Iarge stations too, so you can do it in a large ship). Missions to outposts are still most common, but with a little extra patience you can stack a bunch of missions to stations/planetary outposts with large landing pads. I made almost 25 million credits in a couple hours doing that last night.

tooterfish posted:

, Almagest and Takurua still work fine (I probably horribly misspelled those last two, they're next door to Robigo though so not that hard to find).

Nice, I didn't know about those two systems.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 21, 2016

lee_ars
Mar 27, 2015

timn posted:

You shouldn't have buried this under a bunch of screenshots because it's cool as gently caress.

Oh hey that's me. Did a bunch of bridge walk-arounds over the weekend:

Conda

Asp scout

Fed drop ship

Space cow

Eagle

Eagle part 2, I Suck At Flying On Planets LOL

Imperial Courier

The goddamn Orca

Vulture

Standing outside the Vulture on the landing pad looking around at poo poo

Bonus in several videos: I get down on my hands and knees and look under the pilot's seat and see the pilot avatar's asscheeks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eichel posted:

Libluini posted:

There seems to be a correlation between the number of objects in a system map and loading times. Because generally system maps with just a couple objects in it (a sun + a couple ice planets, for example) load a helluva lot faster then maps with 50+ planets in them.

Yes, I noticed that too. This lends further credence to the hypothesis that the loading is a matter of the game rendering planet surfaces. The question of why something that simple takes so long and why it can't reuse information it should already have is still open, though. I also wonder how much of it is due to needing some kind of pseudo-2.5D rendering to create the parallax effects when you scroll around (I'm guessing it shows up as full 3D in VR?). I wouldn't be surprised if there was some special-case requirements that keep them from just using the regular in-space planet spheres.

tooterfish posted:

The station there is under Imperial control at the moment, I'm not sure if that affects mission generation into Fed space or not.

If for some reason it does, Sothis, Almagest and Takurua still work fine (I probably horribly misspelled those last two, they're next door to Robigo though so not that hard to find).

It doesn't noticeably affect the mission endpoints, no. But it does mean you often get some free Empire status on top of the silly payouts.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rah! posted:

Nice, I didn't know about those two systems.
There's loads of them.

Set your filter to remove uninhabited systems and just bum the camera around the edge of human space for a bit. It's not scientific, but it works.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

tooterfish posted:

There's loads of them.

Set your filter to remove uninhabited systems and just bum the camera around the edge of human space for a bit. It's not scientific, but it works.

Yeah I figured there are plenty of them just outside the bubble, but I guess I didn't expect there to be two more so close to Robigo, Sothis, and Ceos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

lee_ars posted:

Oh hey that's me. Did a bunch of bridge walk-arounds over the weekend:

I want first-person walk around mode in this game so bad it hurts. I don't even care about actually having gameplay with it yet, just let me do it.

• Locked thread