Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

You mean when standard is bad people don't want to play? :downs: I am willing to put up major money that promos do indeed drive variation in player attendance.

Yeah, Path and Serum Visions got great numbers, it's just that the majority of FNMs are Standard and no one wanted to play Standard. What good are shiny Aether Hubs when no one's playing Magic? Wizards clearly pushes some uncommons above the power level, and those would make perfect promos for their "seasons".

But someone asked for the optimistic view on the FNM promo change, so I'll give it a shot.

- It discourages wanna-be grinders from showing up to FNM just for the promo. Those types make FNM less fun for people who come for fun because they try to rules shark FNM, bring tier 1 decks to a casual night, and complain loudly when they don't get randomly selected for a promo.

- It makes WotC's other sanctioned offerings more appealing. FNM is now a neat thing you can do on Fridays, but look, there's so many cooler giveaways at these other events you didn't care about before! Casual players may expand their horizons because of this.

- The token is a thing players can use right away no matter what format their FNM is. If it's limited, they've got a good chance a card in their deck makes that token. If it's Standard, well maybe multiple decks are making tokens? Who knows. When FNM promos weren't based around the newest set, they had a good chance of not even being a card anyone was playing with at FNM no matter what the format.

- Players do care about double-sided tokens. Not "I want this as my FNM promo!" levels of caring, but they liked the double-sided Thopter/Servo and Zombies. I don't know about you, but I'd trade this Reverse Engineer FNM promo I have on my desk for literally any double-sided foil token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AceClown posted:

One day I'll write an effort post about it but on a fundamental level Count Bleck is right, the elephant in WotC's room is EDH. It's overwhelmingly the format that get's played in stores day to day*, they can't control the cards going in to it on any appreciable level, it's very newbie friendly and I imagine very few people crack packs for that sweet sweet EDH tech.

* My own observations, new player walks in store, asks about magic, gets pointed to a table of people playing EDH.

WotC is very aware of EDH and it's place in the player ecosystem which is why they don't do big-prize tournaments in EDH cause it would break the ecosystem. They print obviously EDH targeted cards in every set and a good amount of secondary market demand is EDH.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Did WotC or Hasbro go through a big shakeup in their board or something recently?

They brought in a new CEO. Growth is not as high as it used to be, but is still positive.

Is anyone else in the digital next alpha?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I didn't think it would be possible to defend getting a noncard over an actual card as a promo but some idiots are trying, god bless.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Commit // Memory doxes tf out of Fraying Sanity. I'm shifting to an izzet/grixis build with 10 MB counterspells. Having good results against Temur and Monument. Poor results against Mardu and non-delirium G/B builds (Playing against Delirium is lol af cause they mill themselves for you usually). Fraying is best against other control builds just beware of Commit.

I'll post results tonight/tomorrow morning. If I perform well with this deck at a pptq I'll mirror the decklist with paper magic and go to an actual pptq or SCG event or something. Otherwise there's always Mardu, I guess...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah imagine being the type of person who is more excited to get a token than a playable card.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They brought in a new CEO. Growth is not as high as it used to be, but is still positive.

I thought "Digital Next" was a generic term for various electronic offerings they have in the pipeline rather than any specific product.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
If they really wanted to appeal to casual players then promos would be the big dumb red enchantments or dragons or angels that aren't worth anything but DO move packs

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

wait, does someone out there actually want those terrible red enchantments with 10 lines of rules text

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The only way to make fnm as casual as possible is to give everyone flat prizes that have nothing to do with winrate. Fnm, everyone gets 4 rounds and a pack. That would drive everyone with a competitive bone in their body to cut and run.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I thought "Digital Next" was a generic term for various electronic offerings they have in the pipeline rather than any specific product.

No they have a new studio that brings it all together, they've discontinued duels development and scaled back modo development, and they are definitely working on a new client. There's been a publicly shown screenshot from an investor deck that shows the in-duel view which was very hearthstonelike.

Personally, I can say with confidence it is not the in-duel experience keeping me back from playing modo much.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

The only way to make fnm as casual as possible is to give everyone flat prizes that have nothing to do with winrate. Fnm, everyone gets 4 rounds and a pack. That would drive everyone with a competitive bone in their body to cut and run.

My LGS closed and I've been looking around for another. This place charges $15 instead of $12 and offers pack per win and it was loving terrible. Also I went 3-0 and didn't get the draft weekend playmat or anything :mad:

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Dece weekend

Need to clean my keyboard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I feel like Ramunap Excavator is just going to be another one of those cards that looks good but never sees any play anywhere. I am finding it hard to even put a one of in company.

If you don't need them, I would sell/trade them while they are still high.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Sickening posted:

I feel like Ramunap Excavator is just going to be another one of those cards that looks good but never sees any play anywhere. I am finding it hard to even put a one of in company.

I'm not going to use it. Where do you usually sell cards? Ebay?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

This is exactly what I've thought since it was spoiled. Especially lol at the people on twitch saying it'll be a 4-of in legacy lands.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I'm not going to use it. Where do you usually sell cards? Ebay?

Facebook but I live in one of the largest metro areas. If you really must mail them to people the goon buy sell thread is probably a good bet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

This is exactly what I've thought since it was spoiled. Especially lol at the people on twitch saying it'll be a 4-of in legacy lands.

It just doesnt any anything the artifact doesn't accept be a creature. This seems to be a bigger downside in most instances outside of decks with heavy creature mechanics.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah, Path and Serum Visions got great numbers, it's just that the majority of FNMs are Standard and no one wanted to play Standard. What good are shiny Aether Hubs when no one's playing Magic? Wizards clearly pushes some uncommons above the power level, and those would make perfect promos for their "seasons".

But someone asked for the optimistic view on the FNM promo change, so I'll give it a shot.

- It discourages wanna-be grinders from showing up to FNM just for the promo. Those types make FNM less fun for people who come for fun because they try to rules shark FNM, bring tier 1 decks to a casual night, and complain loudly when they don't get randomly selected for a promo.

- It makes WotC's other sanctioned offerings more appealing. FNM is now a neat thing you can do on Fridays, but look, there's so many cooler giveaways at these other events you didn't care about before! Casual players may expand their horizons because of this.

- The token is a thing players can use right away no matter what format their FNM is. If it's limited, they've got a good chance a card in their deck makes that token. If it's Standard, well maybe multiple decks are making tokens? Who knows. When FNM promos weren't based around the newest set, they had a good chance of not even being a card anyone was playing with at FNM no matter what the format.

- Players do care about double-sided tokens. Not "I want this as my FNM promo!" levels of caring, but they liked the double-sided Thopter/Servo and Zombies. I don't know about you, but I'd trade this Reverse Engineer FNM promo I have on my desk for literally any double-sided foil token.

I know you're doing the positive gimmick thing but this is their logic. They're trying to splinter the playerbase into different categories. The problem is that MTG events are the definition of "the more the merrier". Try firing a 7 man FNM and a 6 man Standard showdown. You need all types to come to every event because lots of different people hanging out and playing games is a huge part of what makes MTG fun. The social aspect is what keeps MTG relevant when Hearthstone and a million clones of it exist.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sickening posted:

It just doesnt any anything the artifact doesn't accept be a creature. This seems to be a bigger downside in most instances outside of decks with heavy creature mechanics.

it's interesting in a Bant CoCo / KotR shell in modern at least. Still probably not broken since that isn't really tier 1 this isn't going to make the difference.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Crucible man exists for edh players who, quite reasonably, don't want to pay $60 for crucibles

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

I meant more like the MCU

To bring this conversation back to pro wrestling, Wizards now has the Mick Foley problem on their hands.

Mick Foley was a unique character who was very charismatic. He could talk his way into making the fans believe in him. But he also looked like a schlub and wore sweatpants in the ring. But he could fall down really well. So every dumb motherfuck who wanted to be a wrestler thought if they could bump off of buildings and light themselves on fire it would make them a star. But people don't want a d-list Foley. And companies don't need another Foley when they've already got the real thing. Because everyone knows you're just a lovely knock off.

The Gatewatch is the lovely Foley. When your entire marketing pitch is "like the Avengers, but X" you may get your poo poo approved by an idiot CEO who wants to chase Marvel money, but it won't loving work.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

I'd also say:

- Foil tokens are not something they often do. You can get an Aether Hub, even a foil one, through Kaladesh packs, but your Servos or Constructs will never be foil through packs.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I need one of those Excavators for EDH.

For Animar.

Because people won't stop blowing up my lands.

Because they're afraid of a 1/1 that dies to bolt. :smug:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

To bring this conversation back to pro wrestling, Wizards now has the Mick Foley problem on their hands.

Mick Foley was a unique character who was very charismatic. He could talk his way into making the fans believe in him. But he also looked like a schlub and wore sweatpants in the ring. But he could fall down really well. So every dumb motherfuck who wanted to be a wrestler thought if they could bump off of buildings and light themselves on fire it would make them a star. But people don't want a d-list Foley. And companies don't need another Foley when they've already got the real thing. Because everyone knows you're just a lovely knock off.

The Gatewatch is the lovely Foley. When your entire marketing pitch is "like the Avengers, but X" you may get your poo poo approved by an idiot CEO who wants to chase Marvel money, but it won't loving work.

I love this, and yes this is very accurate.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

GoutPatrol posted:

Mods please make talking about pro wrestling permabannable

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

PJOmega posted:

Reminder that stores couldn't handle the Amonkhet D4s properly.

At the SCG Hour prerelease, they wouldn't give me the D4's for bringing a friend because "Then everyone who signs up for 2HG could get one".

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

bigperm posted:

At the SCG Hour prerelease, they wouldn't give me the D4's for bringing a friend because "Then everyone who signs up for 2HG could get one".

You should probably email wotc organized play with the store name for poo poo like this.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

SoftNum posted:

You should probably email wotc organized play with the store name for poo poo like this.

The store name is Star City Games...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SoftNum posted:

I am 100% convinced that this doesn't mean a loving thing these days unless it blows up on reddit. They just can't afford to ban customers right now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Imagine owning a store and having Wizards tell you "Yeah we don't want as many people out for FNM"

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It'd be sweet if the alpha wasn't sunday only.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

80s James Hetfield posted:

Mods please make talking about pro wrestling permabannable

instead ban this idiot imo

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bigperm posted:

The store name is Star City Games...

Good, they need knocked down a peg or two.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd rather have good double sided tokens I'd actually use during that FNM draft season than the one out of three good promos with two who cares, but then we all know in like three months the tokens will be "Crushidra, dinosaur made by random walker" and then some loving weird 5/2 beast token made by a rare red enchantment that isn't even playable in draft. Then we'll get some lame post about how the data supports not overproducing desirable tokens because a market research focus group is just sick of 2/2 zombie tokens and squirrels.

Later they'll bring FNM promos back after they form a new Promos team to playtest which promos will be good and it'll fine get back on track.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I need one of those Excavators for EDH.

For Animar.

Because people won't stop blowing up my lands.

Because they're afraid of a 1/1 that dies to bolt. :smug:

Who runs Bolt in EDH?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
WoTC: Faster Horses since 1990

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zemyla posted:

Who runs Bolt in EDH?

It's in about 16% of red decks by EDHrec's stats, in half of French Duel Commander's lists, and literally every red list but Animar in modomander.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Zemyla posted:

Who runs Bolt in EDH?

Where else are you going to get to play Lightning Bolt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zemyla posted:

Who runs Bolt in EDH?

nobody because running anything that might interrupt anyone elses gameplan ever is unfun and fun police and you should hang your head in shame for ever trying to interact with anyone ever.