Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The FPS Documentary I've seen a few tweets about over the past year apparently is on track to be released in December, have to see how that turns out as well.
Back in September they announced that it was delayed to June 2023 so that they could sink more time and effort into the editing process.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I've had a look at a number of fan-made genre documentaries recently and they are made with passion, but also without exception they are all very long, like they couldn't bear to edit their baby project. I hope 'FPS' isn't another four or five hour marathon.
Given all the interviewees involved, I fully expect it to be Ken Burns length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

jesus christ

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This new wave of retro shooters actually launching is so close. I can feel it. Got a feeling next year's gonna be a banner year for 1.0s.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Blood West episode 2 just released, too.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Haha, how did I guess what this was going to be, of all things

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just when I was starting to get nervous about it again, The Force Engine has a new beta release out (v0.92) with the GPU renderer basically finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VULDNdbW64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7h3Sc-JGwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAC6D4H4tJg

Apparently all that's left for v1.0 is finding & fixing any bugs with the new renderer and implementing a quicksave feature.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sir Lemming posted:

Just when I was starting to get nervous about it again, The Force Engine has a new beta release out (v0.92) with the GPU renderer basically finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VULDNdbW64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7h3Sc-JGwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAC6D4H4tJg

Apparently all that's left for v1.0 is finding & fixing any bugs with the new renderer and implementing a quicksave feature.

drat i cant wait to finally play dark forces again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I gave it a try last night and it hardlocked on me after about 15 minutes of play time so that that beta tag as real

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lucius is actively squashing bugs as they’re reported so it’s getting there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Blood West episode 2 just released, too.

How is this? The blurb about it being a singleplayer Hunt Showdown has me intrigued, especially if the gunplay is even half as good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Starting Fogive me Father after finishing Cultic was a bad choice...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cultic looks sick but I think I want to wait until episode 2 is out before starting it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Episode 1 is a standalone experience. It's effectively a complete game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Counterpoint: it's Early Access with a different label. Imma wait for the full game.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok but it's like saying you're gonna wait for doom 2 before playing doom. If that's what you want to do, feel free, but don't feel like you're only getting half a game now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ok but it's like saying you're gonna wait for doom 2 before playing doom. If that's what you want to do, feel free, but don't feel like you're only getting half a game now.

No it's like saying I'm going to wait for episodes 2 and 3 of DUSK to come out before buying DUSK. Which is what I did.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Deakul posted:

How is this? The blurb about it being a singleplayer Hunt Showdown has me intrigued, especially if the gunplay is even half as good.

I don't know that calling it single player Hunt is right, though it's old West + spooky things so I'm guessing that's where most of the comparison comes from.

The shooting isn't what I would call good, but it's serviceable and you get to wait 15 years to reload a single-shot revolver chamber by chamber, so it does have the lovely mid-19th-century low-bloodline-rank-Hunt weapons if that's what you're after.

It really isn't an FPS, though - the best way I can describe it is as "open-map immersive sim stealth survival horror." It has the combination of sneaking and shooting mechanics you'd expect from an immersive sim, along with survival horror resource management, putting a much bigger emphasis on stealth than shooting, on an open map that isn't big enough to be called open world.

It also reminds me of STALKER in some ways, including the focus on finding magical artefacts that give you positive and negative effects (and obviously STALKER is also an open-map immersive-sim adjacent FPS with stealth and looting/resource management).

I've only put about an hour into it, but I like it so far.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 1, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know that calling it single player Hunt is right, though it's old West + spooky things so I'm guessing that's where most of the comparison comes from.

The shooting isn't what I would call good, but it's serviceable and you get to wait 15 years to reload single-shot revolves chamber by chamber, so it does have the lovely mid-19th century low-bloodline-rank-Hunt weapons if that's what you're after.

It really isn't an FPS, though - the best way I can describe it is as "open-map immersive sim stealth survival horror." It has the combination of sneaking and shooting mechanics you'd expect from an immersive sim, along with survival horror resource management, putting a much bigger emphasis on stealth than shooting, on an open map that isn't big enough to be called open world.

It also reminds me of STALKER in some ways, including the focus on finding magical artefacts that give you positive and negative effects (and obviously STALKER is also an open-map immersive-sim adjacent FPS with stealth and looting/resource management).

I've only put about an hour into it, but I like it so far.

When I played the first demo (this was admittedly a while ago) I found it overly punishing wrt resource scarcity and I think you could straight up end in a death spiral, has this changed at all or are you too early to tell?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The map jam that the map "Zugzwang" mentioned upthread was part of is in the process of dissolving into a welter of stupid drama, so I'm releasing the map as a standalone. Requires either ECWolf or LZWolf and a retail/Steam/GOG copy of Wolfenstein 3D. Happy Halloween! :ghost:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw28oqs1hguv1nh/zugzwang.zip?dl=0

And in case you missed it the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wDPQqOnV8

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 1, 2022

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I knew I wasn't going to like Blood West when, during the stealth tutorial, moving, at all, increases the enemy's awareness of you, requiring this moronic start/stop rhythm to get anywhere. Enemies hit super hard and you feel like you're made out of tissue paper. The shooting feels bad and the main character's voice is super annoying. Buuut it's got that overwhelmingly positive review so clearly I'm the odd one out. v:geno:v

SeANMcBAY posted:

Cultic looks sick but I think I want to wait until episode 2 is out before starting it.

Mordja posted:

Counterpoint: it's Early Access with a different label. Imma wait for the full game.

It's 10 bucks just get it and play it and have fun! FFS

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

When I played the first demo (this was admittedly a while ago) I found it overly punishing wrt resource scarcity and I think you could straight up end in a death spiral, has this changed at all or are you too early to tell?

Too early to tell whether that changes when you get better gear, but you still get penalties for dying and early game resources are even scarcer than the demo, so right now it hasn't changed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
FWIW episode 1 of cultic plays more like the entirety of doom 1 than dusk episode 1. I've played through it, and while I'm excited for what part 2 will bring it don't feel like I've only got half a game. If you want to wait and see what the reviews say for part 2, sure, but saying it's an incomplete experience and equivalent to early access isn't really a fair shake. It's ready now, playing part 1 isn't going to leave you with blue balls if that's what you're worried about.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's 10 bucks just get it and play it and have fun! FFS

It’s not the money. I’d just rather play it all at once rather than play chapter 1 and come back months later.

Edit: oh yeah and I’ll probably play it on Switch which isn’t out yet apparently anyway.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 1, 2022

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Woolie Wool posted:

The map jam that the map "Zugzwang" mentioned upthread was part of is in the process of dissolving into a welter of stupid drama, so I'm releasing the map as a standalone. Requires either ECWolf or LZWolf and a retail/Steam/GOG copy of Wolfenstein 3D. Happy Halloween! :ghost:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gw28oqs1hguv1nh/zugzwang.zip?dl=0

And in case you missed it the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wDPQqOnV8

New Wolfie stuff is always welcome. Will check it out!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s not the money. I’d just rather play it all at once rather than play chapter 1 and come back months later.

This is it for me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baron von Eevl posted:

FWIW episode 1 of cultic plays more like the entirety of doom 1 than dusk episode 1. I've played through it, and while I'm excited for what part 2 will bring it don't feel like I've only got half a game. If you want to wait and see what the reviews say for part 2, sure, but saying it's an incomplete experience and equivalent to early access isn't really a fair shake. It's ready now, playing part 1 isn't going to leave you with blue balls if that's what you're worried about.

Gonna wait until ep 2 is out and the price jumps to 30TEXA$ just to spite you bitch

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

early access has brought us some great games but also irreparably brain-poisoned a lot of people

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
your :10bux: only buys you chapter one of Cultic. Future episodes will be paid DLC. Or something like that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

your :10bux: only buys you chapter one of Cultic. Future episodes will be paid DLC. Or something like that.
I believe the plan is for the second (and final) episode to be the same length and price as the first.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, Mt understanding is the price is going to be the price of episode 1, and then the price of episode 2 (which will probably be the same). The plan is it's two items.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Gonna buy it when I'm done with Barkley 2.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
With early access, the entire game is potentially undergoing significant changes and ends where ever the developer still has work to do. An episodic release implies that that particular chunk is finished and has some sort of satisfying finale. So while it's still unsatisfying, it seems like a slight step above early access.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

episodic releases are fine and early access is fail. I hope people appreciate this explanation.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

An Actual Princess posted:

episodic releases are fine and early access is fail. I hope people appreciate this explanation.

:golfclap:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Edit: oh yeah and I’ll probably play it on Switch which isn’t out yet apparently anyway.

Given how unoptimised the game is, I think you’ll be waiting years if it comes to switch. IF.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

An Actual Princess posted:

Still waiting for Sin Episodes 2

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
This thread taught me that if a franchise has future installments planned, then the previous installments are just an early access cash grab

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is why i refuse to watch the godfather trilogy until they make the fourth one. Cheap fuckers always trying to keep me on the hook for sequels :mad:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

It took a little bit longer than that I think since Firebelly had a game-breaking bug (wouldn't teleport after going in the water) that got fixed a bit after they got the rest of it up and running, but yeah, last I checked it runs flawlessly now. I think the only one I really had any trouble with was Bloody Pulp Fiction, I don't remember if I ever got that one working with FS.

I got Bloody Pulp Fiction working by downloading this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/bloody-pulp-fiction/addons/bloody-pulp-fiction-rescripted

Then making sure all files in the zip are in a single folder within 'addons', i.e. there should be no subdirectories, just move everything into one folder and call it 'BPF' or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Convex posted:

This is why i refuse to watch the godfather trilogy until they make the fourth one. Cheap fuckers always trying to keep me on the hook for sequels :mad:
The Godfather was originally written and released as a standalone, and having sequels spoke to its success as such. A more apt cinema comparison would be the Hobbit trilogy maybe? Dunno, haven't picked up Cultic yet, but I can sympathize with people getting tired of the way games are currently being released.

edit:

Volte posted:

This thread taught me that if a franchise has future installments planned, then the previous installments are just an early access cash grab
Which games you thinking of specifically? I know of a lot of stuff that annoyed me but none of them where FPS's.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 1, 2022