Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A 4X game? 18XXs have nine times the exes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Eclipse is one of my favorite board games ever, and it plays really well at four. It’s also significantly shorter and easier to teach than TI. Not a high bar, but still worth noting.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I love TI a whole bunch, but it's definitely less of a daily driver. I used to get to play once a quarter or so and they was a good cadence, if not a little much. I feel eclipse would be better both for your player count and potentially how often you're looking to play.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mr. Squishy posted:

No, the ratio between 4X and 18xx is clearly the square root of 2/9ths.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Kallaxes are great. I'm having trouble with smaller games though. I've got a bunch and they're awkwardly taking up a whole cube. Ikea makes a divider that splits it into four mini cubes, but the closest one is 45 minutes away and I can't drive two hours round trip to get one. If they were even in stock in that store, which they aren't right now.

Double-posting and quoting an old post because we finally re-found my solution to small games: The KVISSLE Letter tray, white. You just put the 'lip' to the back to you can more easily get the games out. Downsides are that it's not a Kallax accessory so it has a little room around the edges. Also, it only comes in white, but they should be spray-paintable? I haven't tried that yet. Also, mine came slightly bent (it's made of sheet metal) so one of the trays seriously drags, but I put that on the bottom with large games that can be removed without sliding. Your mileage may vary.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Squishy posted:

This.

Also my friends have somehow fallen deep in the 18xx rabbit hole and it's incredible. They are even really digging the heavier ones like 1861 and there is talk of 1822 when it finally is finished on 18xx.games.

What a strange turn of events.

It owns.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So we are looking for a more "in-depth game" to add to our collection. It appears 4xx is the name that gets thrown around the most.
We are kicking around tracking down one of the 2 games, or if there is something else we should check out please let me know!!

Eclipse 2nd Edition or Twilight Imperium. Would you recommend one over the other?
Is there another game we should look at?

Big maps + exploration + diplomacy + some combat all seem great to us

Edit: our "core" group is 4 players. We sometimes have more but switch to lighter games about the 4 person count.

I would vote Eclipse 2nd Ed, with the changes its a bit quicker than it used to be. The randomness feels controlled. Great game all round I think.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Got High Frontier in the mail, stoked for some realistic delta-v action.

Aaand immediately when trying to set up a tutorial game I ran into a fun eklundism. He tells you to pick three factions for the tutorial scenario, but calls the chinese one something else than what is actually written on the crew card, which leads to a an entire paragraph of an author's note about censorship, tyranny and socialsm or some poo poo. I spent a good few minutes trying to figure out if I'm missing a faction card.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

a fun eklundism

I never knew that 'fascism' was a portmanteau.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll try and post a proper post-game tomorrow afternoon, but I really think I like Steampunk Rally a lot.

Wacky Races with drafting and literal engine building.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Got High Frontier in the mail, stoked for some realistic delta-v action.

Aaand immediately when trying to set up a tutorial game I ran into a fun eklundism. He tells you to pick three factions for the tutorial scenario, but calls the chinese one something else than what is actually written on the crew card, which leads to a an entire paragraph of an author's note about censorship, tyranny and socialsm or some poo poo. I spent a good few minutes trying to figure out if I'm missing a faction card.

This sounds like a big rear end 'yikes'.

Any chance at taking a photo of the section in question?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

From BGG, it sounds like while Eklund was altruistically promoting free enterprise in China he discovered that they would not print his game with direct references to the PRC or its flag. He valiantly preserved their freedom by swallowing his pride, renaming the faction in the tutorial, adding a rant that would surely go unnoticed by dumb bureaucrats, and utterly failing to unify his terminology :v:

Eklund posted:

The instructions from the Manufacturing facility in China was that they were legally forbidden to publish anything mentioning either “PRC” or depicting the Chinese flag. It was explained that the government could suspend their license and seize their company.

Moreover I believe many or most of the hardworking employees are technically illegal on account that their hukuo ID forbids them from escaping serfdom in the countryside to work in the city. And thus both the company and everyone working there are under the squeeze of any government bureaucrat, and if my flippant footnotes cause the re-enslavement of talented people trying to better their lives under the radar, not only would the partnership be dissolved and the High Frontier project fail, the ruined lives would go against my conscience.

The people I spoke to were apparently terrified, and refused to even discuss the matter. Accordingly I swallowed my pride and erased the little flags depicted on the Chinese boosters, and PRC became CRP. Because of my strong stand for freedom, I took inspiration from Voltaire to satirize censorship in my work, knowing that I am playing with fire.

Truly a master of satire

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 6, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's even stupider than that, in his quest to defeat the evil chinese empire with satire, he forgot to actually put the name of his imaginary faction on the cards.

Here's the player setup:

So I browsed the crew cards, but there isn't any actually marked 'CRP'. The annotation without the whole context of why it was included is just bizarre (+nice shoutout to Pax Emancipation, lmao):

The actual faction as it is on the card is CNSA, which is just a real life name for the chinese space agency:

Like ok, there is the word 'Chinese' right there in the book and 'Taikonauts' is chinese word for astronauts, so it doesn't take long to figure out. But I had to spend a moment here to just process wtf any of this is.
I heard things, but I didn't expect this level of fart huffing.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I never actually played my copy of High Frontier 3rd Edition because even trying to sort the cards I had a hard time understanding which cards were which, and the rulebook didn't seem to care to explain any of the components. It's still the only game on my shelf of shame and I'll probably just sell it at this point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Infinitum posted:

I'll try and post a proper post-game tomorrow afternoon, but I really think I like Steampunk Rally a lot.

Wacky Races with drafting and literal engine building.

Yeah it absolutely owns. The pacing is really good too - you put together an engine, run it for like one turn and then someone's over the finish line. No sitting around fart-huffing while people run their engine over and over and over.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it doesn't surprise me at all that a staunch imperialist like eklund would believe china too stupid to see through his biting wit

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

it doesn't surprise me at all that a staunch imperialist like eklund would believe china too stupid to see through his biting wit

I think it's High Frontier 4th where the Chinese are just evil as well, like out and out just bad guys for being Space Communists.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I think it's High Frontier 4th where the Chinese are just evil as well, like out and out just bad guys for being Space Communists.

Yeah, the Chinese crew special ability is that you can freely commit felonies, which includes killing ('decomissioning') your own crew. Then in the expansion there's more crew types, and one of them is soviet russia styled (which barely makes sense when it's supposed to be real world future). Or I guess it's some future subculture taking on a soviet aesthetic? Called Juiced Cosmonauts. Their special power - drugs.

Honestly, kinda cool.

There's some other weird poo poo, like another special colonist type that is straight up private prison slave labor. You can upgrade them to genertically engineered soldier caste to do warcrimes with.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Does anyone know of a game with a mechanic where you lay traps on a board secretly? My friend and I were making up ideas about a game last night where you're trying to outscore/sabotage other players but it's in close quarters so you have to be careful to not have your traps backfire on you. It only really works if the other players don't know there's a trap there in advance though so even something like placing blank tokens to show where there may or may not be a trap isn't as exciting

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

A few ideas are making the ground out of tiles you can switch out for trapped tiles, your own mini-board you have traps on, or you could write down co-ordinates.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
The only thing with mini board or secret hands is that it's funnier if you can trigger your own traps and can't cheat about it. The best one we came up with is you have to place a token face down somewhere near you every turn, and when you step onto a tile with a token on it you have to flip it no matter who put it down. You would have basically unlimited blanks and a limited number of actual traps. And then instead of knowing obviously who did or didn't put a trap there it can be more secret if there are multiple tokens on a tile. Of course if you're not subtle about it then it would obviously be you

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Does anyone know of a game with a mechanic where you lay traps on a board secretly? My friend and I were making up ideas about a game last night where you're trying to outscore/sabotage other players but it's in close quarters so you have to be careful to not have your traps backfire on you. It only really works if the other players don't know there's a trap there in advance though so even something like placing blank tokens to show where there may or may not be a trap isn't as exciting

I can think of two ways to obscure it - start with a random trap token on every possible space on the map, that may or may not have a trap. The players don't start knowing what's under their tokens, but they can check them one-by-one and swap out if they wish. So your opponent might see that you're doing something, but they don't know if you're putting a trap down, or taking it away.

Another would be with cards. You have trap cards with board locations specified on the,, and you set them aside to 'place' the trap. When the trap triggers, you reveal the card. This reveals that you're placing a trap, but the opponent doesn't know where. If you want to obscure it even further, you can include blank cards as feints, or maybe another type of card that does something else.

Only actual game I can think of is Root Underworld exansion with the crow faction. Works pretty much like you said - they place a token, other players know it's a trap, but not which exact type. But they have different trigger conditions, and the crows can flip them up/down each turn and swap them around the map.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiny Epic Mechs has traps, but they don't backfire.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Black Rose Wars might be close to what you're looking for. It's about a bunch of wizards trying to kill each other in a small dungeon. I've never played it, but according to SVWAG there are trap spells and AOE effects that can backfire on you. It doesn't meet that condition, though, since the traps function like Yu-Gi-Oh rules where you play a card face down whether it's a trap or a regular spell card.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I have a question about Concordia which I just recently purchased. When you first start playing the game, are you supposed to devote energy to memorizing all of the end game scoring arithmetic? Or is part of the meta of the game that you gradually learn it? Or you’re just supposed to keep the rules at hand and reference it as you strategize? The only other game I’ve played with opaque endgame scoring like this is Castles and it takes some real adjustment. I’m not used to having to memorize something like that to undergird my entire play strategy and it feels weird

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah first game or three, maybe look at the cards you're buying and focus a little on one or two types, but other than that no real need. Everything you do will help with some victory condition pretty much.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
For traps: Battle of Rokugan has each player lay tokens face down to resolve actions. Some of these tokens can be bluffs. One of the expansion factions in Scythe also has something similar IIRC, but I never played with them. The Corvid faction in Root as mentioned is probably the best fit. You may get some mileage checking this out: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2016/secret-unit-deployment

For Concordia: You have the scoring reference card as a playing aid. It's whatever the scoring condition is * number of cards you have of that color. Pragmatically, whoever has the most cards total is probably going to win. You can abstract your path to victory as 'buy the most cards', and then worry about points at the end instead of doing calculus throughout the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah the advice I give first time players is to just always buy more cards and try to buy the ones that match what you're doing the most of. The nuances of strategy will come naturally from that point but that's almost always a smart play.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is there a Bloodborne board game? It looks like there is when I google search it, but I don’t see any retail sellers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a Bloodborne board game? It looks like there is when I google search it, but I don’t see any retail sellers.

Kickstarter backers are just starting to receive their copies I think.

There's also a cardgame from a few years ago.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 6, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I know there's a Dark Souls board game that's good with 1 or 2 and some houserules, but terrible at 3 and 4. (Honestly, the boss fight mechanic in the Dark Souls board game is so good that I kind of want to figure out a way to steal it for something else.)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

There was some 2p game a little while ago where one player controlled spies infiltrating a secret lair and the other player played as an evil genius moving minions/secret traps around but I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bellmaker posted:

There was some 2p game a little while ago where one player controlled spies infiltrating a secret lair and the other player played as an evil genius moving minions/secret traps around but I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me

Sabotage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbX5fdk2M0

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Does anyone know of a game with a mechanic where you lay traps on a board secretly?

Stratego

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You can't have those backf...oh poo poo you totally, totally can. Yeah Stratego fits.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

You can't have those backf...oh poo poo you totally, totally can. Yeah Stratego fits.

yeah, different kind of backfiring.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does anyone know of a game with a mechanic where you lay traps on a board secretly?

Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill la Chill posted:

My thought too. It’s a race with blind participants in a maze trying to map things out and a pretty unique game.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Anyone played Champions of Hara ?

It's the first time I've heard of it but reading up it sounds really interesting as I love co-op puzzly games like Mage Knight, Spirit Island etc and Space Biff among others had a lot of good things to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Chill la Chill posted:

Does this have an English print at all? I can't really find much about it.