Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pik_d posted:

I'm looking to pick up a helmet and jacket in the next month or two as later in the summer I'll be riding (on the back) with someone a few times.

From looking around, I like the HJC Sy-Max II (super secret pricing of $206) and this Icon leather jacket (super secret pricing of $309). Are these good choices? I'm not particularly dead set on a flip-up, but I really would like one as it seems convenient. I'll be going to Singapore, so heat will be a big issue (90 miles north of the equator), but I live in North Carolina (2,400 miles north of the equator for those interested) and plan on getting a bike of my own within the next few years, so the removable insulation in the jacket seems like it could suit both environments.

I also saw something about the Schuberth C2 at the beginning of this thread. The only online store I can find has them listed at $450, over twice as expensive as the HJC. Is it worth that much more, and where could I find it cheaper? That or a Roof Boxer. They look neat too, but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Would I be able to find either of these two if I walked into a bike gear store (though I am clueless as to where I would fine one short of a dealership)?

Flip up helmets are a matter of personal opinion. Consider, however, that your head is a particular shape and that you should get fitted for something that actually fits your head. The Symax may not. Go to a dealership or local store and get fitted properly.

Icon gear isn't bad, but it has a bit of a reputation as squid gear. So does Alpinestar, to a lesser degree. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it...that's an expensive jacket, though, especially if you don't have a bike yet. Also, you'll bake in that jacket in the heat. Removeable insulation is good for the cold but unless your jacket is fully perf'd you'll bake in the sun, and even if it is you'll bake while you sit still.

Helmets being worth more is a personal thing. If the symax fits you and the schuberth doesn't, it's not worth it...vice versa, it is. You need to go try on helmets.

You wouldn't be able to find either the schuberth or the roof boxer at 95% of motorcycle stores in the US.

Fant, all leather will stretch. My A* jacket is baggy as hell now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
In the bike gear world, is it better to go to big chain stores or local stores? Are there any chains that are known to be in that last 5% of carrying Schuberth or Roofs?

When I get my own bike down the road, I'm looking for something like a 535 Virago, Vulcan 500/750 or another half-liter or so cruiser. What about Tour Master jackets for being less squid-like? To my untrained eye they look more suitable for what I want, though they seem to only come in black, which I'm not to keen on with the heat.

I do plan on finding and visiting a store (Raleigh, NC area if anyone happens to be from around here and can suggest someplace), but I'd like to know what I'm looking for before I walk in the door.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pik_d posted:

In the bike gear world, is it better to go to big chain stores or local stores? Are there any chains that are known to be in that last 5% of carrying Schuberth or Roofs?

When I get my own bike down the road, I'm looking for something like a 535 Virago, Vulcan 500/750 or another half-liter or so cruiser. What about Tour Master jackets for being less squid-like? To my untrained eye they look more suitable for what I want, though they seem to only come in black, which I'm not to keen on with the heat.

I do plan on finding and visiting a store (Raleigh, NC area if anyone happens to be from around here and can suggest someplace), but I'd like to know what I'm looking for before I walk in the door.

Big chain stores are good for a lot of selection, local stores are good for the atmosphere and the customer service. Most of the time cycle gear is staffed by incompetent morons, and most of the time your local shop will have some pretty knowledgable riders behind the counter, because they have to give you a reason to come back.

Tour Master jackets aren't known for being squiddy...I really liked my cortech (tourmaster subbrand) jacket for my first jacket. It was bulky but it held up really, really well in 2 accidents.

You should be able to find some of their stuff in colors other than black. Also, if you plan on riding casually, I'd point you in the direction of a modern textile jacket or a textile/leather jacket over a pure leather one. It'll probably fit your riding profile better and be more comfortable. Honestly, though, you should find something that fits and screw the rest of it. Remember, also, that sportbike jackets will be cut really short in the front to avoid bunching up. If you can, go to a dealership that stocks gear to or a place that has a bike for you to sit on to match the seating position to the right jacket.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

pik_d posted:

Who cares what's squiddy? (Actually squiddy would be flip flops and shorts like Shattner, but I digress.) If you like it and it's comfortable, don't worry about what other people are going to think. I cruise around on my Valk in a Joe Rocket jacket because it's really, really comfortable for my build. If some weekend Harley boys think that and my full face helmet ain't "biker" enough for them, they can let me know after they get their face reconstructed after a crash.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Don't worry, I'm not out to impress anyone, I just don't want to look like a total mong mixing stuff until there is no semblance of style or form at all. Also the bike I mentioned riding on later this summer is a Harley :v: so they may send me flying at high speed if I show up in SPEED DEMON JAPAN wear.

How important is it for me to get boots or protective pants? I was talking to someone who's got a bike and he near about freaked out trying to beat it into my head that I need to get boots that go above the ankle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pik_d posted:

Don't worry, I'm not out to impress anyone, I just don't want to look like a total mong mixing stuff until there is no semblance of style or form at all. Also the bike I mentioned riding on later this summer is a Harley :v: so they may send me flying at high speed if I show up in SPEED DEMON JAPAN wear.

How important is it for me to get boots or protective pants? I was talking to someone who's got a bike and he near about freaked out trying to beat it into my head that I need to get boots that go above the ankle.

It is a very good idea. I prefer textile overpants for around town, and over the ankle boots. Chaps...well, if you don't like your bum, then I suppose those are acceptable. On really short rides, i'll squid it in sneakers and jeans, but for anything involving freeway use, I'll put on the textile overpants and boots.

New enough is a good resource for boots, just pick something that won't look too absurd and ideally has some sort of internal support framework. I don't know how available those are in more...sedate styles though.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

pik_d posted:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236225

Bike falls, its most likely going to fall on your legs and feet.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 17, 2008

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Well you've got me convinced, and I like the look of Touring Master's Nomad boots.

Also where can I find good quality, touring styled, armored, perforated leather jackets that aren't black? Same for textile pants it looks like. Everything is black except the TURBO RACE MASTAZZZZ NEON BLUE type stuff.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
What's the general opinion on pants like these, where they're denim outside, protective inside. How are they in hot weather vs. regular jeans?

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/mod_denim_motorcycle_pants.html

Are there other street-style pants like the Cortech ones?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I came across these, though they're not quite as discrete as the Cortech ones.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

pik_d posted:

I came across these, though they're not quite as discrete as the Cortech ones.
Yeah, a little more googling shows that there's at least a few options. I'm seeing good things about these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/6851/ITEM/Shift-Racing-Lodown-Jeans.aspx

But I'm not sure if the denim thing is sufficiently better than normal jeans to make it worthwhile.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

chryst posted:

What's the general opinion on pants like these, where they're denim outside, protective inside. How are they in hot weather vs. regular jeans?

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/mod_denim_motorcycle_pants.html

Are there other street-style pants like the Cortech ones?

Ok, they are better. I know this because...I dragged a knee for the first time in a set of jeans just like those. I was doing around 30mph, and smacked my knee into the ground. Yes, I was (am) a dumbass squid. My knee basically bounced into the ground and i immediately pulled it back up, so it was only on the ground for maybe a quarter second. The jean material instantly tore open and shredded, and the kevlar/textile underlayer showed minor wear. They will be better than normal jeans in an accident by a long stretch...but consider this:

You have one pair of reinforced pants...how often are you going to wear them? Every day? Also, if you ride a sportbike, they're going to be cut really, really long, to cover your ankles, which can be a little irritating off the bike.

I wore mine for awhile, and then eventually gave up on them and just wore normal jeans, and then finally got some textile overpants. If you lay out the cash for a couple of pairs, then maybe it'd be worthwhile...but you're still going to tear up your knees going into the ground with no hard armor. Tradeoffs...

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

Ok, they are better. I know this because...I dragged a knee for the first time in a set of jeans just like those. I was doing around 30mph, and smacked my knee into the ground. Yes, I was (am) a dumbass squid. My knee basically bounced into the ground and i immediately pulled it back up, so it was only on the ground for maybe a quarter second. The jean material instantly tore open and shredded, and the kevlar/textile underlayer showed minor wear. They will be better than normal jeans in an accident by a long stretch...but consider this:

You have one pair of reinforced pants...how often are you going to wear them? Every day? Also, if you ride a sportbike, they're going to be cut really, really long, to cover your ankles, which can be a little irritating off the bike.

I wore mine for awhile, and then eventually gave up on them and just wore normal jeans, and then finally got some textile overpants. If you lay out the cash for a couple of pairs, then maybe it'd be worthwhile...but you're still going to tear up your knees going into the ground with no hard armor. Tradeoffs...
Cool. Sounds like they might be a decent compromise then. I'm into the sporty style like the sv650, or Street Triple, but I doubt I've been low enough to drag a knee if I had tried. I'm just looking for some safety during a street driving get-off. The Shift ones got good reviews, and if I don't like them, I'm only out $70.

I guess I'll eventually get some overpants, but I like riding the bike to clubs and parties and stuff, (and waiting till I'm sober before leaving, naturally) and I'd rather not be so conspicuous even after the jacket's off.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Holy poo poo, this is brilliant.

Long-johns made from solid 100% knit Kevlar. Now ALL my pants are motorcycle pants. And yeah, you can add knee armor too if you care about your kneecaps. Whatever. And they're made by Draggin' Jeans, who I've heard good things about.

Finally, gear that covers my balls with Kevlar. Took 'em long enough.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nate Falls posted:

Holy poo poo, this is brilliant.

Long-johns made from solid 100% knit Kevlar. Now ALL my pants are motorcycle pants. And yeah, you can add knee armor too if you care about your kneecaps. Whatever. And they're made by Draggin' Jeans, who I've heard good things about.

The place that manufactures Draggin' Jeans is about an hour or so away from me in NC. Lots of people around here swear by them, so I was thinking about taking a trip out there to the factory and looking through their "scratch and dent" section. Some girl at the MSF was wearing them and she said they put perfectly good jeans on deep discount because some of them got screwed up around the ankle (which is going to be protected by my boot anyway).

I imagine that with the armor inserts they make for Draggin Jeans they wouldn't be bad for something to ride around town in.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nice. I don't even wear my Draggin' Jeans anymore because I don't like the cut. And because I lost 2" off of my waist.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
My problem with those liners (and pants without a 360* zipper in general) is they completely negate the protection on your torso. In my fall at 25 mph I had a jacket on with those "attach to jeans straps" hooked to my jeans. Tore right through those, jacket rode up, and I got a nice amount of rash on my back. Jeans held up fine, so did the jacket, but I was still hurting for the next week because of the lack of attachment between the two. Just something to consider.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

pr0zac posted:

My problem with those liners (and pants without a 360* zipper in general) is they completely negate the protection on your torso.

I really like wearing my leathers with the 360 degree zipper. everything just stays put.

My new Olympia stuff only has a 6 inch zipper. I hope that that plus the 3/4 legnth jacket will be enough should I meet the ground. It is comfortable walking around with that zipper, though.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

rope kid posted:

Nice. I don't even wear my Draggin' Jeans anymore because I don't like the cut. And because I lost 2" off of my waist.

Yeah, the cut is one of the main reasons I don't have any Draggin' Jeans--I'm pretty sure tapered leg hasn't been remotely acceptable since some point in the 80's. Would it kill them to make something in a remotely fashionable cut?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah, the cut is one of the main reasons I don't have any Draggin' Jeans--I'm pretty sure tapered leg hasn't been remotely acceptable since some point in the 80's. Would it kill them to make something in a remotely fashionable cut?

I'm still trying to figure out what a "tapered leg" means in jeans. However if it hasn't been acceptable since the 80's I probably own a pair. :haw:

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Ripoff posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what a "tapered leg" means in jeans. However if it hasn't been acceptable since the 80's I probably own a pair. :haw:

Straight cut - jeans are cut straight to fit the knee and ankle, same snugness at knee as at ankle
Boot cut - jeans are slightly flared to allow for a boot to go under them.
Flare cut - jeans are flared more to allow hippies something to swish about in.
Tapered cut - jeans are narrower at the ankle than they are at the knee. Gross.

Hammer pants are a hyperbole of tapered cut trousers, if that helps any.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 20, 2008

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
How well do the helmets with the flip-up chin piece work with glasses? I'm looking for a new helmet (mostly since I dropped my cheap starter one onto concrete, dammit) and would like to not have to try and thread my glasses on through the hole in the front of the helmet anymore. 'Tis a pain in the rear end. The flip-up ones look like I should be able to put the helmet on with the glasses in place and then flip down the chin piece, has anyone here tried that?

I'd go try them on but I won't be home for a couple of weeks, but I certainly will then. I'd just like to know before I go out there if that's something reasonable.

Also, I know Shoei and Arai to be good, but who else? My old one is a full-face Fulmer, DOT and Snell, is that the big thing to look for or are there other little bits to check while shopping?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

teknicolor posted:

Straight cut - jeans are cut straight to fit the knee and ankle, same snugness at knee as at ankle
Boot cut - jeans are slightly flared to allow for a boot to go under them.
Flare cut - jeans are flared more to allow hippies something to swish about in.
Tapered cut - jeans are narrower at the ankle than they are at the knee. Gross.

I guess I can see why they do a flare cut (I'd assume it tucks into your boots easier) but that sounds really dumb looking. Also I'd guess that you want them to tuck into the boots because if they draped over I'd be worried about them pulling up if I fell and slid feet-first.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
The US site aren't the only manufacturer of kevlar lined jeans. In fact, the australian 'draggin jeans' site (http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/) has a bunch of different styles and types of normal-looking kevlar-lined pants. Jeans, cargo pants, zip-off's, even khakis/chinos.

These pants are actually pretty good looking, if they weren't $235. Stupid american dollars. :(
http://www.flexegate.com.au/cgi-bin/djstore/m_silverbk.html?id=kWGnffPf&mv_pc=198

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

EvilDonald posted:

How well do the helmets with the flip-up chin piece work with glasses? I'm looking for a new helmet (mostly since I dropped my cheap starter one onto concrete, dammit) and would like to not have to try and thread my glasses on through the hole in the front of the helmet anymore. 'Tis a pain in the rear end. The flip-up ones look like I should be able to put the helmet on with the glasses in place and then flip down the chin piece, has anyone here tried that?

I'd go try them on but I won't be home for a couple of weeks, but I certainly will then. I'd just like to know before I go out there if that's something reasonable.

Also, I know Shoei and Arai to be good, but who else? My old one is a full-face Fulmer, DOT and Snell, is that the big thing to look for or are there other little bits to check while shopping?

As I understand it, that's pretty much the whole point of those flip-up helmets. One of my MSF instructors had one that he flipped over his glasses with ease. Apart from DOT and Snell, you're mainly just looking for fit & finish. Snell won't certify those flip-up helmets yet though.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Fantastipotamus posted:

The US site aren't the only manufacturer of kevlar lined jeans. In fact, the australian 'draggin jeans' site (http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/) has a bunch of different styles and types of normal-looking kevlar-lined pants. Jeans, cargo pants, zip-off's, even khakis/chinos.

These pants are actually pretty good looking, if they weren't $235. Stupid american dollars. :(
http://www.flexegate.com.au/cgi-bin/djstore/m_silverbk.html?id=kWGnffPf&mv_pc=198

My Shift Lodown kevlar jeans look pretty dsmn good, if it helps, and they're only $70, although the Kevlar portions aren't quite as thick as I've seen in some other brands. But hey, they look good.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Nate Falls posted:

My Shift Lodown kevlar jeans look pretty dsmn good, if it helps, and they're only $70, although the Kevlar portions aren't quite as thick as I've seen in some other brands. But hey, they look good.

I bought a pair of these for my fashion concious brother. He wears them plenty and thinks that they look pretty hot too. WebBikeWorld did a write up on them a while back http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-jeans/shift-lodown-street-jeans/

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Nate Falls posted:

I've been considering these as well as the Torque model. My biggest concern is the lack of armor (or ability to add armor). Ideally I'd like at least knee armor. I guess they're still better than the regular jeans I usually wear any way you look at it.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I've been considering these as well as the Torque model. My biggest concern is the lack of armor (or ability to add armor). Ideally I'd like at least knee armor. I guess they're still better than the regular jeans I usually wear any way you look at it.

Wear motocross knee/shin guards under them? Or the low-profile Icon ones, those aren't bad either. Yeah, it'd be nice to have some knee armor sometimes.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Yellow power ranger checking in. Don't mind the helmet hair or my tired eyes. I look much better in real life.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I have a Ducati S4RS and I am looking for a rack of some sort for tethering a backpack to when I don't feel like wearing luggage.I went to the dealership today, and one of the employees recommended a company from new zealand called something like venture packs, but nothing seems to be turning up. Do any of you know anything good I could use for this purpose. Names, links, and manufacturers are welcome.

thanks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Frog Strips posted:

I have a Ducati S4RS and I am looking for a rack of some sort for tethering a backpack to when I don't feel like wearing luggage.I went to the dealership today, and one of the employees recommended a company from new zealand called something like venture packs, but nothing seems to be turning up. Do any of you know anything good I could use for this purpose. Names, links, and manufacturers are welcome.

thanks

Givi makes a rack for almost all of the bikes out there.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Frog Strips posted:

.I went to the dealership today, and one of the employees recommended a company from new zealand called something like venture packs, but nothing seems to be turning up.

I think that employee said Ventura, not Venture.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
I put about 100 miles in this weekend in my new Alpinestars NYC jacket and Dainese Slash gloves in the 95+ degree heat and was quite comfortable. The gloves in particular are amazingly soft and allow you to retain dexterity, but are armored and thick enough that I feel safe. Good stuff.

The only thing I don't like about the NYC is that it doesn't have any way to connect to a pair of pants. Can anyone recommend a pair of pants (or preferrably overpants) with armor that ride far enough up the back to help avoid what pr0zac went through? I've been riding around in jeans and a pair of tennis shoes, and I feel like I need more protection.

I've been riding in a borrowed HJC helmet with a pair of aviators stuck in through the visor, but I'd rather not have glasses inside my helmet in the long run since I like my eyes. I've got a Shark RSR2 on order. Does anyone have experience with Shark's various tinted visors? What happens if you get caught after dark with a dark tint, do you carry a clear or just ride home with the visor up?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I think I need to buy some leather :cry:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

crabrock posted:

I think I need to buy some leather :cry:

What were you wearing before?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

jeans and a sweatshirt because i'm an idiot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bruinator posted:

I put about 100 miles in this weekend in my new Alpinestars NYC jacket and Dainese Slash gloves in the 95+ degree heat and was quite comfortable. The gloves in particular are amazingly soft and allow you to retain dexterity, but are armored and thick enough that I feel safe. Good stuff.

The only thing I don't like about the NYC is that it doesn't have any way to connect to a pair of pants. Can anyone recommend a pair of pants (or preferrably overpants) with armor that ride far enough up the back to help avoid what pr0zac went through? I've been riding around in jeans and a pair of tennis shoes, and I feel like I need more protection.

I've been riding in a borrowed HJC helmet with a pair of aviators stuck in through the visor, but I'd rather not have glasses inside my helmet in the long run since I like my eyes. I've got a Shark RSR2 on order. Does anyone have experience with Shark's various tinted visors? What happens if you get caught after dark with a dark tint, do you carry a clear or just ride home with the visor up?

The important thing with overpants is zipping them to your jacket. Find some pants you like, pick them up, and take them to a tailor and get either the pants or the jacket altered so you can zip them together.

Carry around a clear visor, makes life a lot easier. Otherwise you can suck it up with the tinted one, but I've done late night rides with a tinted visor and trust me when i say it sucks balls.

Anuv
Apr 4, 2008

by Fragmaster

crabrock posted:

jeans and a sweatshirt because i'm an idiot.

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure if you had some poor quality gear that I should stay away from.

But, speaking of that, did I make the right gear choice? My helmet and gloves are just fine, but I've got a few questions:

I bought a Joe Rocket superstock textile jacket. It fit well, felt durable, and was pretty cheap compared to the leathers. Not to mention lighter. I figure that it's a good choice with Summer coming up. Good choice?

I also bought some mesh Phoenix 2.0 pants. Now, they're labeled as over-pants, but are they okay to wear without anything on underneath? How much protection will mesh provide, given true textile in the contact points with some CE armor? I don't intend on going very fast for a while, and again, the hot months are coming up. Ohio gets humid, on top of that. Should I get true textile pants instead?

And, with boots, I got some Alpinestars. Will I need to worry about the more "casual" ankle cut, versus the really big boots/shinguards that other people make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Z3n posted:

The important thing with overpants is zipping them to your jacket. Find some pants you like, pick them up, and take them to a tailor and get either the pants or the jacket altered so you can zip them together.

Carry around a clear visor, makes life a lot easier. Otherwise you can suck it up with the tinted one, but I've done late night rides with a tinted visor and trust me when i say it sucks balls.

Altering the jacket is a good idea. I kind of wish I paid more attention to the zipper, I was more concerned with staying cool and having enough armor than how it connects to a pair of pants. Odds are the pants wouldn't have matched anyway, so it's not a big deal. Otherwise the jacket is great, the waist cinch straps make it fit well for those of us who require a bigger jacket size without a huge beer gut.