Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Feeding your clown(s) a variety of foods is the best way. PE Mysis, cyclopeeze, some omnivore mix like Rod's or some spectrum omnivorous pellets, then just cycle through those.

I prefer the frozen cyclopeeze stuff rather than the freeze dried flakes if you're feeding coral, otherwise you can just buy a big canister of the cyclopeeze flakes and that'll last you a year+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
So far he's only eating the arctipods and the New Life(or whatever the brand name is) Spectrum pellets. He won't touch the frozen mysis or brine shrimp yet, I think they might be a little too big for his mouth. He is apparently hosting my magnet glass cleaner. No matter where I move it in the tank, when I wake up he's always on it.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Watching my tank cycle is like watching paint try but so finding live rock hitchhikers is kind of a way to pass the time. So far I've found a Nerite snail, some sort of cowrie, and today I found a feather duster worm! They are all living so I must be doing something right.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Just added a purple tip frogspawn coral.

and from the top

The clown hasn't hosted in it yet, but he has swam up to it and checked it out. He might just be checking to see if it's healthy or not, but after 36 hours he is still "hosting" my magnet cleaner(I was cleaning the glass today and he follows the magnet around). In a couple weeks I might add a hammer as well. I've read that hammers and frogspawn won't sting each other so you can put them close together...is that really true? Some people at the LFS i've talked to said both will sting any type of coral no matter what, but some online stores say the opposite, so it's hard to know what to really believe.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

a duck posted:

Just added a purple tip frogspawn coral.

and from the top

The clown hasn't hosted in it yet, but he has swam up to it and checked it out. He might just be checking to see if it's healthy or not, but after 36 hours he is still "hosting" my magnet cleaner(I was cleaning the glass today and he follows the magnet around). In a couple weeks I might add a hammer as well. I've read that hammers and frogspawn won't sting each other so you can put them close together...is that really true? Some people at the LFS i've talked to said both will sting any type of coral no matter what, but some online stores say the opposite, so it's hard to know what to really believe.

I heard to keep frogspawn and torches away from each other, and keep frogspawn away from anything, but I've *never* seen feeler tentacles out of my frogspawn (now almost 18 heads) in the two years I've had it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I haven't seen feelers either the first night he was out. I was actually scared that he died the first night when I woke up and he was completely contracted, because I read in some places that they are supposed to have tentacles that come out at night. I guess that's why people say never to trust what the fish stores/internet says, and only trust other reef tank owners say. I am a bit disappointed about my clown, but from a couple other posts in this thread, it sounds like a pretty random thing whether they'll host a coral or not. I'll just keep trying.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Eh, give them time. My pair of onyxes right now, the female stays by the anemone most of the time and the male sleeps in the anemone with the female at night, but in the day spends most of his time hiding in a hammer, then swimming out to try to court the female and then gets kicked back out to the hammer.

I should record some videos.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That reminds me of a question I've been trying to research. I've read that when in pairs or more the largest clownfish will become the female. What about when they are alone? Can you just assume that he has stayed a male, or is there some way to tell what sex it is?

I am so glad I started saltwater, it is so much more complicated and interesting than freshwater fish which I had when I was younger. You can spend hours reading about possible reasons for your saltwater fish acting the way they are.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

a duck posted:

That reminds me of a question I've been trying to research. I've read that when in pairs or more the largest clownfish will become the female. What about when they are alone? Can you just assume that he has stayed a male, or is there some way to tell what sex it is?

I am so glad I started saltwater, it is so much more complicated and interesting than freshwater fish which I had when I was younger. You can spend hours reading about possible reasons for your saltwater fish acting the way they are.

You should get him a mate. The really seem to be social fish.

Oh and I freaked the gently caress out when I saw our clowns first having a seizure.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
A lone juvenile clown will turn male then female.

In a pair of juveniles, the largest one will turn male then female, the other will turn male and stay male. In that same pair, if the female dies, the male will turn female unless another (female, or potentially female in this pairing) clown is introduced ASAP. (This is why Finding Nemo is so unintentionally incestually hilarious)

In a large group of juveniles, one will turn male then female, the others will mature to male.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 29, 2010

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

a duck posted:

I've read that hammers and frogspawn won't sting each other so you can put them close together...is that really true? Some people at the LFS i've talked to said both will sting any type of coral no matter what, but some online stores say the opposite, so it's hard to know what to really believe.

I have euphyllia touching with no problems, and I have definitely seen sweeper tentacles from the torch.

Of course your mileage may vary.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I have to retract my statement about my clowns not hosting anything.. the male has started hosting my red people eater zoas. Was looking through the tank last night and couldn't see him, but saw his mate floating near the top as usual. Looked at the zoas and find him completely buried between the individuals in the colony.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

HClChicken posted:

Went ahead and purchased this really nice 100g sw tank, with a 40+g sump, 1262 eheim pump, generic lighting. Over 140 pounds of live rock!! Some testing chemicals, foods and whatnot, heater and a bunch of piping to go with the frame. All for 300 bucks.

I have most of the live rock curing outside with some circulation, going to scrub the rest of it later today since it had been sitting in the air for a few days.

To do list:
Make tank stand with sump access.
Design and build piping system/ overflow system. I might do a drilled system, tank isn't drilled yet so not sure.
Purchase lighting system (metal halide/ t5 combo)
Purchase protein skimmer
Purchase second heater
Research and purchase type of water movement system

Of course cleaning everything we got since much of it is gunked up.

Just a small update. My live rock is actually cycled now. Nitrites are nil, ammonia is low after throwing a frozen shrimp, and nitrates are high (from not having a water change in 2 weeks).

I'm going to clean out the actual tank today, with some vinegar and water. Do a water change on the rubbermaid with CURED live rock. I need to start building the tank, I've already got the design figured out. I just need to buy a protein skimmer, a lighting system, and a water movement system. I figure 6 weeks at most till I can have fishies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sounds cool, I always like seeing huge tanks. I just ordered an abalone since I just got a pretty bar hair algae outbreak and nothing I have eats it.

Edit: here is my clownfish in his favorite spot and my new hair algae :(

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 31, 2010

fishmonger
Jan 26, 2004

This is a title.
Couple of newish random pictures.

Full tank

Picasso clowns in their RBTA home

Left side of the tank ... wall hammer, candy canes, frogspawn, yongei blue acropora, neon green birdsnest, mystic blue staghorn, pink birdsnest, bali slimer, various zoas

Scoly, wellso brain, orange digitata

Powder Blue Tang

My favorite birdsnest from above ... green w/ purple polyps

Open brain from above

Clam, grape cap, green slimer, pink birdsnest, green blastos from above

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

My new ocellaris clowns seem relatively well-adjusted during the day, but at night they seem to enjoy swimming up and down vertically in the corner of the tank. Is this behavior abnormal, or is it relatively normal like some of the anecdotes I've heard lead me to believe?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Melchior posted:

My new ocellaris clowns seem relatively well-adjusted during the day, but at night they seem to enjoy swimming up and down vertically in the corner of the tank. Is this behavior abnormal, or is it relatively normal like some of the anecdotes I've heard lead me to believe?

That is normal for tank-raised clowns.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ok, I think I may have a problem. On the similiar topic of clown behavior, has anyone had experience with them just suddenly freaking out and jumping into the overflow area of the tank? I just added two mexican turbo snails to the tank, and ever since, he is swimming really fast and jumping where he shouldn't, requiring me to net him out and stress him out even more. All parameters are near zero, with ammonia+nitrite at 0, and nitrates at ~5, and SG at 1.025, which is what I've had it at since the beginning.

Could he just be noticing the new additions and freaking out for no particular reason? Is there anything I can do to keep him out of that area? I really hope the addition of a 5 dollar snail doesn't kill my 100+ dollar fish :(

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

a duck posted:

Ok, I think I may have a problem. On the similiar topic of clown behavior, has anyone had experience with them just suddenly freaking out and jumping into the overflow area of the tank? I just added two mexican turbo snails to the tank, and ever since, he is swimming really fast and jumping where he shouldn't, requiring me to net him out and stress him out even more. All parameters are near zero, with ammonia+nitrite at 0, and nitrates at ~5, and SG at 1.025, which is what I've had it at since the beginning.

Could he just be noticing the new additions and freaking out for no particular reason? Is there anything I can do to keep him out of that area? I really hope the addition of a 5 dollar snail doesn't kill my 100+ dollar fish :(

I've had one jump into the overflow once (wasn't easy to get back into the tank), and one just straight jump out of the tank (not rescued).

You can put a screen / glass to keep jumpers in the tank.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Is it indicative of anything though? It seems odd that he just suddenly decided to get jumpy 6 hours after I added a new snail.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

a duck posted:

Is it indicative of anything though? It seems odd that he just suddenly decided to get jumpy 6 hours after I added a new snail.

It's probably nothing. Did you add the store's water to your tank when you added the snail?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nope, I made sure not to dump any in my tank. If he seems fine in the morning I'll just attribute it to new tank owner paranoia.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
Sometimes fish will jump when stressed, but it is not always chemistry related or even anything you can easily control. I lost quite a few clowns to jumping when I raised them in a tank with no netting or top.

If you do decide to get netting, bulk reef supply sells some nice clear nylon netting which you can fit into a window screening kit from the hardware store.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I sprung for a nice Geisemann MH/T5 light to replace my clamp-on MH, and oh wow. I think I am in love.

This is Expensive Acquisition #1 in my upgrade plan. #2 is the rimless starfire cube I just ordered from Miracles. I am retardedly excited. I really need some fish-nerd friends to share this with, because everyone thinks I am nuts.

Everyone except my Geisemann light. It understands me.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
I am excited for you. What are you upgrading the starfire cube from?

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

My latest acquisition is a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse, and in true aquarium fashion my investment is rewarded with a fish that I can't for the life of me find in the rockwork. I hope he comes out :ohdear:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I bought a harlequin shrimp to clean out my asterinas which have gotten absolutely massive (3/4" across) and I can't find it either. :ohdear:

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Anybody know any resources for stand building other than reef central or garf?

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

arioch posted:

I bought a harlequin shrimp to clean out my asterinas which have gotten absolutely massive (3/4" across) and I can't find it either. :ohdear:

The wrasse seems to know that low/no flow = feeding time. The second I turned off my return pump and skimmer pump he was out looking around for dinner! Of course, he immediately darted back into the rockwork. Still, a beautiful fish when I actually see him.

Also, a harlequin shrimp is a bit easier to lose than a 3" wrasse :P

Finally! My first corals! A guy I know grabbed some frags out of the bottom of his tank, which apparently has been up for almost 20 years. He hasn't changed things much tech-wise, and is still rocking old school. Needless to say it is chock full of soft corals (and no GSP, thankfully). Some shots of what I acclimated today:

Some sort of sea-foam green ricordea

Cabbage leaf, with my male ocellaris. There are also a few yellow polyps, but they were tucked in between a bunch of stuff and could use some love :)

A red mushroom on the same frag as the ricordea, the rock was tucked at the bottom of the tank so it's still kinda small.

My clowns, before I learned how to adjust the white balance. Taking pics of my aquarium is tough, even with full lighting!

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 11, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Those look like St. Thomas rics. Very beautiful in the right colors, and not all that common in the trade.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Hey guys!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Melchior posted:

Hey guys!

The true face of evil.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

I caught one of my hermits eating a zoa polyp yesterday! Is this normal? It was one of the larger (red-leg) ones.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Melchior posted:

I caught one of my hermits eating a zoa polyp yesterday! Is this normal? It was one of the larger (red-leg) ones.

Absolutely. Banish it from the kingdom forthwith. Large crabs are bad news. Smaller ones behave only so long as it takes to get big.

Seriously though, there are very few "reef safe" crabs. SPS symbiont crabs are safe, porcelain anemone crabs are safe, that's about it. All hermits are opportunistic feeders to some extent, the safest ones are the scarlet leg reef hermits (the ones with red legs and yellow eyes). Even the common blue legs can be bad news as they will kill snails and each other and other hermits.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 13, 2010

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
Anyone know where I can view some galleries of tanks? I love everything about saltwater tanks but I am way too cheap for one. I want to live vicariously through you guys. :swoon:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Team Stab posted:

Anyone know where I can view some galleries of tanks? I love everything about saltwater tanks but I am way too cheap for one. I want to live vicariously through you guys. :swoon:

Look on Youtube for HD videos of tanks. Just picture galleries don't do many reef tanks justice, in my opinion.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

arioch posted:

Absolutely. Banish it from the kingdom forthwith. Large crabs are bad news. Smaller ones behave only so long as it takes to get big.

Seriously though, there are very few "reef safe" crabs. SPS symbiont crabs are safe, porcelain anemone crabs are safe, that's about it. All hermits are opportunistic feeders to some extent, the safest ones are the scarlet leg reef hermits (the ones with red legs and yellow eyes). Even the common blue legs can be bad news as they will kill snails and each other and other hermits.

Kind of related, but not really: I forgot to mention that the yellow zoas that I've got are growing out of the shell of a dead hermit crab. How awesome is that?

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

Team Stab posted:

Here you can pretend you have the best tanks:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/totm-list

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm not really a PI guy - more Cycle Insanity but I figured I'd post my first fish tank here. I got bitten by the bug after my girlfriend bought a BC14, moved to a 1G ADA cube, and finally had me help her build (drill, build overflow box, build stand,etc) an ADA 18G.

3.5G ADA

Only about a month old. Ecoxotic PAR38 and a Aquaclear 70 HOB fuge w/ 3500K CFL growing Chaeto, pretty basic but everything is happy and growing really well.

'livestock' list:
Pink birdnest
Red monticap
~60 zoas of about 6 different colors
3 Blue mushrooms
Spotted mushroom
Small Acan
Blue star polyp
Duncan

I am moving in about a month - during the move I will probably drill the bottom for a drain and drill the back for a return. I like clean setups and the AC is ugly as hell so it must go.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That's a really sweet looking setup. I love the Par38 LED units.

My own 5.5gal has an even bigger HOB (the Danner Skilter Supreme 400) but as a standalone unit I don't feel comfortable with keeping anything like SPSes in it, though ... at least if I weren't already just cheating with the water changes with the 5.5 by using the "waste" water from the big tank.

I suppose montis and birdnests are pretty tolerant.

As an aside, the other reason I'm not keeping any corals I would mind losing in the 5.5 right now is I've got 3 chocolate chip stars in it I'm fattening up. So consider that I'm feeding in large quantities of meaty foods with the associated decay/waste, and the fact that the starfish would eat most of my stuff. (They're for when the harlequin shrimp in my big tank runs out of asterinas)

• Locked thread