Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Man, flying in a day early to Orlando is giving me all sorts of ideas of what to do with my free time. I know for a fact I'll be getting a AP to Universal Studios, so I've considered taking a cab over there and hanging out until they close, but I've also considered Downtown Disney since I've never really explored it.

I really want to buy a ticket to go into Magic Kingdom, buuuut since I'll be getting my cast ID a few days later, that seems silly.

So many options. drat you Orlando.

Goto the Lego store at downtown disney. It's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Go hit Universal and get your AP in my opinion. Downtown Disney's under a lot of renovation as far as I've been told.

That's true. The parking is a nightmare during peak hours right now because most of the original parking lots in front have been displaced. Plus, I believe they are actually getting rid of "Pleasure Island" to make it more family friendly or something.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

The Summer discount should be available for the general public soon.

Details

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Doronin posted:

That's true. The parking is a nightmare during peak hours right now because most of the original parking lots in front have been displaced. Plus, I believe they are actually getting rid of "Pleasure Island" to make it more family friendly or something.

Pleasure Island has been mostly gone for years now anyway. Its a ghost town.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Pleasure Island has been mostly gone for years now anyway. Its a ghost town.

Well, it's busy.. just no compelling reason to go there after dark to have fun. Every time we have gone it's just a tourist clusterfuck now. Gone are the happy days of going to Mannequins and have a party on the rotating dance floor groovin' till they kicked us out.. promptly at 2AM. heh

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Well, it's busy.. just no compelling reason to go there after dark to have fun. Every time we have gone it's just a tourist clusterfuck now. Gone are the happy days of going to Mannequins and have a party on the rotating dance floor groovin' till they kicked us out.. promptly at 2AM. heh

Well i know it's always crowded, but i specifically meant ghost town in the sense that there is poo poo all to do compared to what it once was.

Adventurers Club, how I wish I could taste thou Kungaloosh one last time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Well i know it's always crowded, but i specifically meant ghost town in the sense that there is poo poo all to do compared to what it once was.

Adventurers Club, how I wish I could taste thou Kungaloosh one last time.

Oh yeah, nightlife is non-existent now. The Irish pub keeps busy and it's sad to see the Adventurer's Club still there begging to open it's doors once again. I really enjoyed that place.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ive heard Trader Sams at Disneyland has some of the old adventurers club stuff. confirm/deny?

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

I'm from the UK and I'm off to Orlando in :siren: ONE WEEK :siren:, stopping at the Coronado Springs Resort for 8 nights :D I'd like a little help with getting around when visiting places which aren't Disney.

What are the cheapest, easiest & quickest ways to getting to the International Drive area? I realise I wont be able to get cheapest,easiest and quickest all at the same time :)
We specifically want to visit, on separate days:
  • Either of the premium outlets
  • Mall @ Millenia
  • Night life - Definitely Hard Rock Cafe and other night life. Is International Drive best for night life or is there some where better?

I was thinking of a taxi to get to International Drive and then the I-Ride tram, is the tram any good? ... Or hire car (if I can pluck up the courage to drive on the wrong :colbert: side of the road! ) but I'm not too sure if that will get expensive quickly.

To sample the night life I wouldn't take a hire car, what options are there for getting back late at night?

Is the pre-bought photo pass worth buying? How many photos do you need to make it cost effective?

I know of a few parades at the Magic Kingdom, and of fireworks at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot... are there any other parades/firework shows I might be missing out on?

Thanks for your help & I'm sorry for the barrage of questions... only 7 sleeps to go.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Biggz posted:

Is the pre-bought photo pass worth buying? How many photos do you need to make it cost effective?

Have a safe trip!

I can't speak much to the other questions, I've stayed on site the entire time I've been, however I can share my experiences with the pictures.

Fun fact, everywhere there is a disney employee taking pictures, they will be more than happy to use your camera and take the exact same picture for you.

They're rather good at it, as should be expected, and most of the pictures I printed out and framed after my trips came from them. One of the photographers even showed my sister some settings on her camera that she didn't know how to use.

There are a few gimicky pictures they take where disney elements are photoshopped in (one that comes to mind is in front of the haunted mansion, think there was one in AK as well), so those are fun, but I didn't get any.

Anyway, short version: if you have your own digital camera, grab a free photo pass, give them that and your own camera, look pretty, have great memories.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Fejsze posted:

give them that and your own camera, look pretty, have great memories.

:(

Thanks for the tip though, we will be taking 4 cameras between two of us... we do like our DSLRs :D

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The PhotoPass photographers do take photos of you using your camera and they're fine, but I still think purchasing the package is a good deal, especially for families. The PhotoPass pictures are almost always superior because they take their time with their own cameras. That said, you can still have the photos they take with their cameras linked to your My Disney Experience account and if you come across one you really love, you can purchase it for $15, I think.

The other thing with the package is that includes any ride photos or character meeting photos. If you plan to buy a lot of ride photos or you're doing a lot of character meals, it's worth it to buy the package.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I wish the had sorted out the whole new PhotoPass+ whatever when I was there. I wanted one ride photo, and to do that, they had to put it on a card separate from my other photos which were linked to the magicband I had. Apparently they have it fixed now, but that was too many accounts to juggle.

In other news, i need some planning help: I am pretty sure Universal is going to happen the day I arrive in Orlando, even if just for a few hours in the afternoon. My flight lands at 11am in Orlando, and I am using Magical Express as free travel to Pop Century. What is my best course of option on getting travel to Universal from Pop at that time. Would booking a shuttle be wise if I might be cutting it close, or should I just eat the cab fare?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'd think a cab would be easiest, if your schedule is uncertain. It wouldn't be the cheapest, but I don't think a cab is outrageously expensive.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

So is Disney World vacation projected to be more expensive this year no matter what(Dining Plan no longer free) or do they just not have Q3 deals set up yet?

Went for the first time last Thanksgiving, 6 days, Table service dining plan, flight, and Caribbean Beach resort booked in September was $1560 per person(2 total). Looks like this year mid-September, same options, only at Port Orleans French Quarter is going to be around $2000+...

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you just want rides the $50 photopass was worth it after like three rides, especially since that's the only way to get those photos. Most of the other pictures were pretty easy using methods described or by just looking for someone trying to take a photo and asking them for a trade. That said, we don't have kids and the character stuff doesn't mean much to us so that would probably change things, as we met a few people with the "everything" pass who had kids and they clearly got their money out of that pass. Just think of all the photos you can get with Duffy the Disney Bear!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Crazyweasel posted:

So is Disney World vacation projected to be more expensive this year no matter what(Dining Plan no longer free) or do they just not have Q3 deals set up yet?

Went for the first time last Thanksgiving, 6 days, Table service dining plan, flight, and Caribbean Beach resort booked in September was $1560 per person(2 total). Looks like this year mid-September, same options, only at Port Orleans French Quarter is going to be around $2000+...

I don't know about Q3/Fall, but I just got a early advanced offer (by having a Disney CC/Disney Rewards acct) for summer deals that opens to the general public tomorrow 3/17/2014. It's only good for 6/15 to 8/28. The deal I got is only a discount on hotel rooms, no free dining or anything listed.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I would be really surprised if a free dining deal came out this year. They've been doing more targeted PINs straight to the consumer. I got a free dining code earlier this year myself. There is a discount going live tomorrow for the general public but it's just a resort discount.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Whats the best casual place to eat in downtown disney?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I really like the Pub.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Biggz posted:

I was thinking of a taxi to get to International Drive and then the I-Ride tram, is the tram any good? ... Or hire car (if I can pluck up the courage to drive on the wrong :colbert: side of the road! ) but I'm not too sure if that will get expensive quickly.

You can take the Disney transportation system to Disney Marketplace and from there you can take a cab or even better the public transit system, Lynx, Route 50 will pick up at the Downtown Disney West Side Transfer Center.. That will get you to the Internation Drive area where the I-Ride services. From there you can get to the Orlando Premium Outlet. The I-Ride Trolley services that outlet and is the terminus of the southern leg. For the price you cannot beat it..

Those two are very reliable and heavily used so they have the best area coverage. Hell the Lynx 50 will drop you off right at Sea World.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 17, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

kri kri posted:

Whats the best casual place to eat in downtown disney?

Earl of Sandwich, bar none.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

Yes!

Also, there was an article in the local paper who runs a Disney news section and there will be a gourmet food truck area in the new construction of Downtown Disney. They finally jumped on the bandwagon. The interesting Disney twist is these won't be your common food trucks around town but rather trucks selling selections from the various Disney restaurants on property. The official communication said coming this summer and there will be a dedicated area so it seems like a permanent fixture to the new area replacing Pleasure Island.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 17, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I love Earl of Sandwich. I was really bummed when I didn't get to hit Downtown on my pre-cruise stay a month ago.

By the way, the new discount dropped today. Wait times on the phone are insane.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Earl of Sandwhich is boss. I frequent the Boston one all the time.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Yes!

Also, there was an article in the local paper who runs a Disney news section and there will be a gourmet food truck area in the new construction of Downtown Disney. They finally jumped on the bandwagon. The interesting Disney twist is these won't be your common food trucks around town but rather trucks selling selections from the various Disney restaurants on property. The official communication said coming this summer and there will be a dedicated area so it seems like a permanent fixture to the new area replacing Pleasure Island.

If c&s Brisket bus isn't there, they will get none of my business! :colbert:

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Roar posted:

Earl of Sandwich is great, if you can deal with the insane line at the Downtown Disney location.

I saw one of those food trucks the other day while I was down there, it's between World of Disney and Basin. Didn't look at the menu but I also didn't realize until reading the thread now that they are putting in more with selections from other restaurants.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mattfl posted:

If c&s Brisket bus isn't there, they will get none of my business! :colbert:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/12/16/review-downtown-disneys-world-showcase-of-flavors-food-truck/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I saw the world showcase one there yesterday, it didn't look like it was open yet though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mattfl posted:

I saw the world showcase one there yesterday, it didn't look like it was open yet though.

I think they are hype building right now and they are only open on occasion until the permanent home is unveiled.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

demonR6 posted:

I think they are hype building right now and they are only open on occasion until the permanent home is unveiled.

That would make sense. They are doing some major construction across from the Lego store.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mattfl posted:

That would make sense. They are doing some major construction across from the Lego store.

The sign is up where their new home is.. I just don't know where. I avoid the marketplace like the plague.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

demonR6 posted:

The sign is up where their new home is.. I just don't know where. I avoid the marketplace like the plague.

I needed a visit to the Lego Store and we still want to try out Splitsville.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

I needed a visit to the Lego Store and we still want to try out Splitsville.

Splitsville is drat expensive, even with any AP/DVC discount. One hour of bowling plus 2 drinks and 2 appetizers ran us close to $200. Never again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Splitsville is drat expensive, even with any AP/DVC discount. One hour of bowling plus 2 drinks and 2 appetizers ran us close to $200. Never again.

Holy Christ didn't realize it was that expensive. Never mind then lol

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Kings Bowl on International Drive has all that you would want. It's one of those newer trendy bowling alleys. We go there all the time.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 18, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Kings Bowl on International Drive has all that you would want. It's one of those newer trendy bowling alleys. We go there all the time.

There's something like that in waterford lakes too, which is a whole lot closer. I'm in Sanford.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

mattfl posted:

There's something like that in waterford lakes too, which is a whole lot closer. I'm in Sanford.

Firkin and Kegler!
http://www.fkorlando.com/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya, I couldn't remember the name, but that's it. Heard it's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I went to firkin when I was in Orlando for minecon. Group rented it out for a big party. Awesome place.